Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

New To This
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New To This

Default New To This

Thanks for letting me join your informative site. Please ignore my stupid questions.

That being said, I have been thinking of getting into silver bullion for a while now, and I am close to taking that step. My biggest drawback was being afraid of screwing up since I am so new and still learning.

At least right now, I don't have a lot to put into silver, but I would like to purchase a little over time. I was thinking of buying a couple of coins a month to offset fluctuations in price and reduce my risk, and then increase my quantity I purchase over time as my overall financial situation improves. Is this a valid strategy? Or should I just set aside that money each month until I have a decent amount and buy it in chunks? Do you guys recommend buy and hold over the long term, or churn in and out as the price goes up and down. I'm a pretty conservative investor.

I'm just trying to learn and dip my toe in the water as I continue to learn more. Thanks so much for your help.

" I'm a pretty conservative investor.

Don't think of acquiring physical silver (or gold) as a financial "investment".
    Rather, acquire as a store of real wealth to protect some of your capitol....
    dollars continually lose value and because they are no longer "backed" or linked to anything of real value, will fail in a few years...bet on it.

silver and gold have never been worth zero.

Right now silver is considered by many to be cheap,

However I am extremely light on silver at this time, reason being is because it is in a rally and cashed out most of my holdings because I got in at toooo high of a price, and felt like crap when it went down 25%...... Only reason I was able to do so is because I lowered my cost per coin by $2 buying on dips and selling when it was up.

you should definitely buy a couple of oz, this site bullion direct allows you to have an acct. and add to it as you wish and take hold of your silver whenever you want thus reducing you costs of shipping....

Buy a little bit even if it is a couple of oz, the cheapest price is on this exchange they call nuecleo

I am a rookie however I think this run will end soon about 2 wks, and will fall down to it's support which is well into the 16's you can buy cheaper then, but rem. that is my rookie take on things

The dollar will fall soon thus raising the cost of silver, I give it a couple of months

Also rem. silver is a hedge/issurance not an investment
    You and I are getting in the game late so insureance may cost's $$$$
    Last edited by Manny2_0; 5th March 2010 at 17:58.

Thanks for your advice. I meant to say hedge against inflation, not as an investment.

One other question that I have is about silver eagles. Are they worth the extra premium attached to them, or am I better off beginning with simple bullion coins? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    Thanks for letting me join your informative site. Please ignore my stupid questions.

That being said, I have been thinking of getting into silver bullion for a while now, and I am close to taking that step. My biggest drawback was being afraid of screwing up since I am so new and still learning.

At least right now, I don't have a lot to put into silver, but I would like to purchase a little over time. I was thinking of buying a couple of coins a month to offset fluctuations in price and reduce my risk, and then increase my quantity I purchase over time as my overall financial situation improves. Is this a valid strategy? Or should I just set aside that money each month until I have a decent amount and buy it in chunks? Do you guys recommend buy and hold over the long term, or churn in and out as the price goes up and down. I'm a pretty conservative investor.

I'm just trying to learn and dip my toe in the water as I continue to learn more. Thanks so much for your help.
    If you aren't a paranoid that the dollar is going to collapse soon then save enough money so you can buy a 100 ounce bar or two at a low premium. Buy in the late spring or early summer when the price historically is much lower. Sell in the late winter.

All forms of self defeating behaviors are unseen and unconscious, which is why their existence is denied.
    Vernon Howard

You are welcome.

All forms of self defeating behaviors are unseen and unconscious, which is why their existence is denied.
    Vernon Howard

Default Paranoia Won't Destroy Ya

I respectfully disagree. I entered the game with 100 ozer's. I think the only reason I didn't get burned was because the Shylocks were too lazy to build more printing presses and the prices and premiums stayed low for years allowing my knowledge to gain ground on my exuberance. If I were in your position....I would assess the world with an open mind. If you see the world as being just fine and without significant problems then take your time and build up cash....then buy 100 ounce bars. If not, then consider methodical accumulation of small denominational (protectionary and transactional) silver when you have the opportunity....bearing in mind that cash strapping yourself would qualify as irrational exuberance. Put on your tin foil hat and wear it proudly while you are combing craigslist in "seeker mode"...perhaps you may come across some C/Kats that got in the game early and are looking to take profits and unload a little bit of their investment grade portion of their stack. Welcome Falcon....and good luck.

Curiosity will not kill the C/Kats of SS Nation!

Question

I'll grant you that fear and/or greed is what makes silver's price go up. But it is funny how that just doesn't hold through the summer. So what happens in the summer, fear goes on vacation?

Vernon Howard

Default The Search For Truth....

IMO can no longer afford the time for a vacation. I certainly do not speak for the forum....i just felt compelled to impart my opinion of the proper dose of logic for a newbie with a question...that seems to have an interest in becoming a seeker via silver. I may be a cannonballer, but if the SHTF...I will be hoping that Falcon and C/Kats like Falcon will have already pulled the trigger on 1 oz. rounds or 90% or both...and will be better prepared to weather possible storms that care not what season the planet happens to be in. Rip Van Winkle was not a stacker.

Quote Originally Posted by AgShaman View Post
    IMO can no longer afford the time for a vacation. I certainly do not speak for the forum....i just felt compelled to impart my opinion of the proper dose of logic for a newbie with a question...that seems to have an interest in becoming a seeker via silver. I may be a cannonballer, but if the SHTF...I will be hoping that Falcon and C/Kats like Falcon will have already pulled the trigger on 1 oz. rounds or 90% or both...and will be better prepared to weather possible storms that care not what season the planet happens to be in. Rip Van Winkle was not a stacker.

Right, that is what they said last spring too.

Vernon Howard