Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(430) : eval()'d code on line 134

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Gold Nuggets? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold Nuggets?

I have high regard for both you AK guys (or gals?). I've always wanted to take a trip to the three different Alaskas' (Anchorage, Coastal, and interior areas) but have never felt free to do it being tied down to the military and family obligations. I did some years ago, get a set of mil. orders to a communications security station on Adak but nixed that when a map showed me it was 1200 (or was it 1500?) miles out in the Aleutians = no-man's land.

And I considered Buzzard & Tom's LDMA org at one time (I once met and immediately didn't liked Perry so don't factor him in). But since I couldn't travel and utilize the claims, I figured there wasn't much sense in my helping them buy property. I have a lot of respect for Tom and had the same respect for his dad - I'd trust either of them anytime to do the splits and cover my back in other ways. I also appreciate their two organizations and hard work that makes great education, comaraderie, and auriferous gravels available to folks who otherwise wouldn't have much if any access to 'em.

I never worked a beach box so never have had an overly great amount of flour colors to experience the "pour" you describe. It must be a real rush. I do screen cleanups down to 230, use a Blue Wheel to separate out those finds and then make amalgam out of everything else. But then I trade my finds out for expense dollars and more functional forms of gold & silver.

Gotta get...grandma says the dog & I need our beauty rest. Back surgery last January and a shattered heel in Oct. (had a ladder stand come away from the tree deer hunting in KY, while I was taking it down) has made it difficult for me to get into the creek like I used to. But I feel blessed: I'm not in a wheel chair, I can get to church, and hook up the boat & travel to see the grand kids and fish in FL. Life is good!
    Best of luck and again best regards to both of you.
    Love those big rocks!
    Boulder
    Last edited by goldminer; 17th February 2010 at 23:14.

Quote Originally Posted by beach miner View Post
    Wow: That was some good ground you where on. I have never been in that area, always spent my time in Nome. But it costs so much to fly up there I just might check out the Eagle, Chicken, Yukon area. Nothin wrong with the older detectors. Your right about last spring raking the banks, that ice really did a number up there. As I recall we didn't get a lot of rain last year, so the river might not have done the flooding, washing of the banks. Hopefully the stuff that was broken loose from the banks, didn't get washed downstream. That makes for easy pickins. As you can testify. Glad you made it up here. Think ya might be back.
    I guess the post must have misled you as I've never made it up to AK yet. The gold I found was in the San Pedro Mountains of central N.Mex.

Default Good Posts Goldminier, and Fullsafe

Great to hear from both of you. Ya brought new life to this forum. Sorry about your injury Goldminer, I did some soldierin a long time ago, 2 tours Army Infantry--4th Division--Vietnam, and 198th light infantry--Chu Lai. We have a saying about Adak--It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from there. I'd like to go out there with one of Your South Carolina Surf Rods, and try catchin Halibut off the beach. You must have a Hound Dog's nose for gold to be finding good ground in Carolina, I didn't even know they had any there. Hope ya heal up. Fullsafe; your sittin in some good country. I'm goin stir crazy waitin for Spring, your fortunate enough to grab the machine and step out the door and be scratchin the ground during the Cool Months. After those large finds of yours, ya probably got a hole the size of the Big Meteor Crater dug up. The Rush of finding color is great, but I got say that I love the places the search has taken me just as much. God has Blessed us. See Ya At The Topl

Thank you sir...and thank you for your Army service - you are my brother. But in your next life you might come up a notch in the world and join the Navy.

I had what I reframe as a one year experiencial learning course, in '68 & '69 with patrol boats running the rivers and canals west of the Delta from the Cau mau Peninsula north past "Sherwood forest" and "Three sisters" up to Ha Tien on the Cambodian border.

John Kerry was in Coastal Division Eleven on Phy Quoc for 3-4 months during that time but I don't remember his name or having seen him...which makes sense because 3-4 months in-country made him a "new guy" that would not have gotten any attention from me. We got into s... and things went bad fast a lot of times, but I never heard of any of our boat's crew members who could have earned 3 PH's in 3 mos. His combat injury claims that supposedly earned him the 3 PHs is pure bs IMO... just like the rest of him.

Default Small World

I was a Point Man all the time. I guess you know the feeling when your the lead boat going up a foggy river. Not many people have ever expeirenced anything like it-ounce; let alone day after day. Also your a rare one for the Navy being so close up and personal to our enemy. And especially Thank You for the successful Swift Boat Attack on Kerry. Somethin very wrong with a guy filming himself over there, and claiming he was a hero and everyone else a criminal misfit. But that's Massacusettes for ya-Kerry, Kennedy, and Barney Frank. Hope ya heal up so that you can show the Grand kids the lost art of finding Gold. Their generation is gonna need it. In fact I was thinking about starting a thread on encouraging folks in SSF nation about staking mining claims in their home states. Even poor ground is better than no ground should things really go bad. And it doesn't cost much to keep the claims in your name. Think of it--40, 80, 120 acres of gold bearing ground that the State says you own all the Gold on for a couple of hundred bucks rental fee a year. See ya up River, oh yeah--Well Done, Squid.
    Last edited by beach miner; 18th February 2010 at 19:29. Reason: corrected word

There has never been much interest in this forum for the pursuit of metals in their native form. I think it's really contadictory to the computerized age as it generally involves some common sense and physical exertion.

There are probably some threads in various gold forums since it's more of a discoverable metal for the common person than silver. We always said 'gold is found by prospectors while silver is found by chemists'.

The influence of the frickin tree huggers has also made maintaining a claim a real pain in the ass. It's much easier in the lower states to just high grade the hell out of things and cheat the Fed's out of the fees.

Default Highgrade for now

Yer right Fullsafe. Most people in Generation Fat would rather have a Mercy Bullet to the Head rather than pick up a shovel. And for right now the Enviorn---mental's will be stoppin ya. However, if and when things go bad, they and the Government People will be headin for the tall grass, and enforcement will be up to the Individual. A nice claim with running water on it, and familiar surroundings that you know over the years would be a welcome spot to head to, rather than rapidly heading out to the unknown. Also, if your not using large heavy equipment most small scale mining is possible. This depends on the State your in. I agree that Highgrading for now is the best way to go, and your not committed to one area. However, if ya find a spot that ya like alot, go to your Land Office, and see if it's open to Mineral Entry. State land is preferable to Federal. It won't hurt to put your name on it. In fact, you could think of your Mining Claim as Your Full Safe, all your gold is safe in the ground, waiting for you to dig it up.
    Last edited by beach miner; 18th February 2010 at 23:32. Reason: words added

"We always said 'gold is found by prospectors while silver is found by chemists'.

True statement. 99.999999999% of silver is found in microscopic particles. VERY rarely are silver nuggets found. Gold nuggets are rare but can't hold a rare candle to silver.

This is why a person never hears about anyone "panning for silver".

P.S...I have a few silver nugets I found in the upper peninsula of Michigan many moons ago.

PP.SS....they were together but that was all of 'em folks. My dad and I spent the rest of the day looking for more but alas there were none.

Silver nuggets are not like gold nuggets: "Where you find one you'll find more".
    Last edited by goldminer; 19th February 2010 at 20:49.

I have had that happen from stress, but keep an eye on him. Sometimes individuals will naturally have whiter spots, too, and can be more or less apparent depending on the lighting. Feeding can sometimes be tricky, and make sure to feed it some meaty foods like bloodworms and blackworms in addition to the usually pleco veggie fare. They are also shy, but at the same time VERY territorial, and should preferably be the only pleco in the tank, and definitely the only gold nugget. Also, they get big, so keep that in mind too! This is mostly from experience, since I've brought in dozens of them, at all different sizes, so someone else might have some different opinions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.