PDA

View Full Version : Buying opportunity on this dip?

mrnt1984
29th January 2010, 22:19
Bought 40oz today,Anyone buy on the recent dip and add to there stacks?

realmoney
29th January 2010, 22:25
Not yet, sitting in cash waiting for market crash to buy (PMs and some stocks) on the cheap. Like I said before, the logical timeframe imo would be around March/April (short->long term cap gains conversion for many). Just a hunch tho., backed only by my gut ;) The way the markets are acting lately, it might not wait that long...

RM

mrnt1984
29th January 2010, 22:36
I agree, I only used a small amount of cash reserves.I feel a bigger pullback also.

Manny2_0
30th January 2010, 02:12
I bought the dip big time.....
in reguards to my $$$$ bought twice

I am 50% in on silver
35% more than I was before the dip

planning on keeping half and sell the rest, to lower my cost per oz

hopefully I won't have to wait, tooooo long
fingers crossed, J/K I don't believe that crap

but I feel good about my buy, however it could go lower and I will have to chase it, will be back in if it dips low 15 on this dip

Gene Daniels
30th January 2010, 08:31
I must admit I pulled the trigger early, but at least I did it twice. Got 100oz on this dip, but could have gotten it a tad cheaper if I had waited a little longer.

Oh well, I figure with silver is 50+ per oz those 0.50 differences are not going to bother me:D

silverheartbone
30th January 2010, 08:50
Bought 40oz today,Anyone buy on the recent dip and add to there stacks?

Yes indeed mrnt1984, I bought six rolls (21.5 troy ounce equivalent) of Mercury dimes for 12.4 x face.

I feel this next week will also be a good time to be buying.

My need is for quarters and a roll of 2010 ASEs.
Although I want 1/8 of my silver stash in the form of quarter dollars,
I am reluctant to buy Washingtons,
since they look a lot like slugs.

But the premium on the Standing Libertys is so ridiculous,
I suppose I'll have to procure some Washingtons
and make them the first ones sold or traded later in the game.

Sakata
30th January 2010, 09:01
I am reluctant to buy Washingtons,
since they look a lot like slugs.

But the premium on the Standing Libertys is so ridiculous,
I suppose I'll have to procure some Washingtons
and make them the first ones sold or traded later in the game.

I don't really see this as a problem. It is pretty easy to tell them apart. There are so many Washington silver quarters out there they are bound to me widely used in a collapse. I, myself, have several dozen rolls.

I also have lots of silver Roosevelts. Those are the ones I would be more concerned about Because of their size they are not as easily distinguished.

DaleFromCalgary
30th January 2010, 09:24
"Bought 40oz today,Anyone buy on the recent dip and add to there stacks?"

Yes, I bought twenty 10-ounce bars on Thursday. The dealer had a shortage of silver but finally managed to get a shipment of Silvertowne bars from the USA. I only buy 10-ounce bars, but I know that junk silver is being vacuumed up by some other Calgary silver bug, and I see lots of people in the lineup buying rolls of silver Maple Leafs.

Sakata
30th January 2010, 09:38
...I only buy 10-ounce bars, but I know that junk silver is being vacuumed up by some other Calgary silver bug, and I see lots of people in the lineup buying rolls of silver Maple Leafs.

If you only buy 10 oz bars I assume it is because of the lower premiums. But I have to wonder why you do not diversify more when the opportunity arises. I have bought 1 oz and 5 oz bars in the past at the same premium as 10 oz bars. I also find junk silver at low premiums some time. It seems to me that a variety of sizes would be more useful for bartering in the future if things get bad. And if things do not get bad then you can sell it all anyway.

I, myself, am diversified across junk, 1oz, 5oz and 10oz bars, 1oz rounds and buillion such as ASEs, Maples, Philharmonics. I just buy whatever has the lowest premium at the time and have ended up with approximately equal amounts of each.

silverheartbone
30th January 2010, 09:48
I don't really see this as a problem. It is pretty easy to tell them apart. There are so many Washington silver quarters out there they are bound to me widely used in a collapse. I, myself, have several dozen rolls.

I also have lots of silver Roosevelts. Those are the ones I would be more concerned about Because of their size they are not as easily distinguished.
http://www.blackwebportal.com/nuforums/fileattachments/SLAB.jpg

I agree, but if you have a choice, the older junk would always be preferred by your buyers when you sell.

I decided after getting a few slug Roosevelts in my buys, to stop buying those a while back.

Fortunately there are still plenty of Franklins.

DaleFromCalgary
30th January 2010, 20:08
"If you only buy 10 oz bars I assume it is because of the lower premiums. But I have to wonder why you do not diversify more when the opportunity arises. I have bought 1 oz and 5 oz bars in the past at the same premium as 10 oz bars. I also find junk silver at low premiums some time."

One standard size makes it easier for my accounting. My gold and palladium are all 1-ounce Maple Leafs, but silver coins would be too much of a clutter. Besides, it's more fun to stack bars than coins; they make such a satisfying clunk.

"It seems to me that a variety of sizes would be more useful for bartering in the future if things get bad. And if things do not get bad then you can sell it all anyway."

I'm not a survivalist, but rather believe that the North American economy will slowly ratchet downward over the next several decades as Peak Oil takes effect. I buy silver to trade the ratio back into gold, and gold as a long-term store of value. I don't expect to use bullion directly for barter, but instead as I need the money twenty years from now I will take a gold Maple Leaf into the dealer and sell it for money of the day.

Jake
30th January 2010, 20:11
I bought twice. (1-25 and 1-28)
First buy was kennedy halves and uncirculated rosy's (Dimes were 1960, so I paid junk silver prices for them)

Second buy was englehard rounds and slightly tarnished silver eagles that I paid round prices for.
Also got an XF walking liberty half for the junk price

argent_pur
31st January 2010, 14:39
I bought twice too. Just got a couple 1 oz. heraeus bars at 16.60 and then bought 8 more plus 4 1 oz. CMX bars from BD at 16.11. Planning on buying 40-50 more ozs. come Monday if silver dips below 16.

PSUDave
31st January 2010, 20:50
I bought twice too. Just got a couple 1 oz. heraeus bars at 16.60 and then bought 8 more plus 4 1 oz. CMX bars from BD at 16.11. Planning on buying 40-50 more ozs. come Monday if silver dips below 16.

How are you buying at BD for those prices? :confused:

Az2Africa
31st January 2010, 21:37
I picked up 100oz. for my Mom at the $16.11 dip. I hope I steered her right. She has quite a bit(1,000oz.) that I got her into at $14.05. That's about 10% of her money, with the rest in annuities. At 81 years old she can see that having some PM's is a good idea.

argent_pur
31st January 2010, 23:31
How are you buying at BD for those prices? :confused:

Should've been more specific...that was the spot price, sorry for the confusion Dave;)

argent_pur
31st January 2010, 23:34
As an interesting sidenote, Dave, cause I know you're a BD buff as well, that the 1 oz. heraeus and CMX bars were cheaper than the 10 oz'ers of the same brand by something like a nickel/oz. Strange, eh? You ever notice something like that before?

aequitas
1st February 2010, 00:55
Bought 40 ASE on BD, I have a feeling the dollar rally is gonna reverse or start going sideways at 80, which should push metal prices higher.

JesterJay
1st February 2010, 01:10
Boght a 10 ozzie and a 1/4 ounce gold com. coin.
Cheap!
Lookin for junk now,
JesterJay

I bought twice. (1-25 and 1-28)
First buy was kennedy halves and uncirculated rosy's (Dimes were 1960, so I paid junk silver prices for them)

Second buy was englehard rounds and slightly tarnished silver eagles that I paid round prices for.
Also got an XF walking liberty half for the junk price

fansubs_ca
1st February 2010, 02:59
As an interesting sidenote, Dave, cause I know you're a BD buff as well, that the 1 oz. heraeus and CMX bars were cheaper than the 10 oz'ers of the same brand by something like a nickel/oz. Strange, eh? You ever notice something like that before?

I remember seing that happen in 2008, back then the 10 oz. bars went up
in premium first before the other product. Eventually everything from silver
dimes to 100 Oz. bars went for bigger premiums, just the 10 oz. bars were
ahead of the rest time wise. For some reason some people have a "thing"
for that 10 oz. size. Premiums being equal I'd rather have more divisible
forms myself.

As a side note the 2008 premium issue didn't affect 1000 Oz. bars because
most middle class people buy about 100 Oz. to 200 Oz. at a time. Few can
swing the cash to get 1000 Oz. all at once so they were immune to the
middle class buying that was happening on that dip in spot.

silverheartbone
1st February 2010, 11:55
A tough decision ahead.

Should I get ripped off on a roll of highly desired 2010 ASEs @ 400 FRN? (https://www.scoins.com/bullionpricessilver.aspx)

Or do I get $30 face in junk (unlikeable unremarkable Washington quarters today) for 366 FRN?

Wish me luck.

A 3.5 FRN premium per coin is a heck of a lot to swallow. :(

Sakata
1st February 2010, 12:12
A tough decision ahead.

Should I get ripped off on a roll of highly desired 2010 ASEs @ 400 FRN? (https://www.scoins.com/bullionpricessilver.aspx)

Or do I get $30 face in junk (unlikeable unremarkable Washington quarters today) for 366 FRN?

Wish me luck.

A 3.5 FRN premium per coin is a heck of a lot to swallow. :(

APMEX has them for $383 and BullionDirect for $374. Shipping will be extra. I don't think you will find them anywhere for less right now. They are going for more on EBay. You could always hold off and hope the price comes down, but if spot drops much more I would not be surprised to see premiums increase.

I'd probably still go with the ASEs over the junk because of they will likely hold their premium. But then I already have enough junk.

silverheartbone
1st February 2010, 13:14
APMEX has them for $383 and BullionDirect for $374. Shipping will be extra. I don't think you will find them anywhere for less right now. They are going for more on EBay. You could always hold off and hope the price comes down, but if spot drops much more I would not be surprised to see premiums increase.

I'd probably still go with the ASEs over the junk because of they will likely hold their premium. But then I already have enough junk.
I've been in there enough lately that I was offered the chance to get on their "Bullion Club" list and get the "Our Sell Price (500ozs or more)" @18.74 FRN deal!
I decided not to rat myself out and remain as anonymous as I can for the extra 25 notes that move cost me.
Yeah I snagged a roll of the 2010 ASEs for exactly 400 FRNs ('shipping & handling' and all applicable taxes included ;)).
I figure I can always get junk Washington quarters,
and I might get lucky in the future and get the quarters I really like.