PDA

View Full Version : Silver on Ebay

Phaeton
3rd June 2008, 22:50
I was browsing over on Ebay just a bit ago and was amazed at what people were willing to pay for silver! There's bidding going on for grubby looking silver and it's current price is up a few dollars over spot - with hours left to go - and that's not including shipping! :confused:

I've gotten some fair deals on Ebay for silver recently and you can get decent deals if you look, but it seems like people have little concern for what the price is, they just seem to need that dirty 1oz round! Sure delivery is much quicker as compared to online sites and if you go to a local shop, you may get taxed but... maybe they just don't know what the current spot is... LOL!

Just looking for some expert thoughts about this and maybe some people on here are some of those bidders which, if you are, you could definitely shed some light on this for me!

Drumblebum
3rd June 2008, 23:25
I was browsing over on Ebay just a bit ago and was amazed at what people were willing to pay for silver! There's bidding going on for grubby looking silver and it's current price is up a few dollars over spot - with hours left to go - and that's not including shipping! :confused:

I've gotten some fair deals on Ebay for silver recently and you can get decent deals if you look, but it seems like people have little concern for what the price is, they just seem to need that dirty 1oz round! Sure delivery is much quicker as compared to online sites and if you go to a local shop, you may get taxed but... maybe they just don't know what the current spot is... LOL!

Just looking for some expert thoughts about this and maybe some people on here are some of those bidders which, if you are, you could definitely shed some light on this for me!

I'm noticing the same thing... people are willing to pay waaaaay too much for silver on eBay. Unfortunately, I seem to be one of them, but I have an excuse!!

I found a guy that sells on eBay that lives about 5 minutes away from me, always has pretty high quality bars and whatnot, including some unusual pieces. Sometimes I pay way too much to win the bid, but he usually offers me 2nd chance on things he has extras of if I lose, at or below the price of my max bid. Also, he delivers, and when he comes over he'll bring some items he hasn't put up for auction yet in case I'm interested.

You may be thinking this is a risk "security-wise", and I would agree with you - I was kind of paranoid at first. This guy is harmless though, and in case he isn't, I made sure he is aware of my Remington 870 "guard dog" - ;)

Anyhoo... I've seen people pay up to 10.00 over spot for JM bars and whatnot. It seems crazy... but I think that is closer to the true price of silver.

1for1
4th June 2008, 00:26
Hello,

I am currently living in Sydney,Australia.

Here the Perth Mint releases Kookaburras and Kangaroos which have a RRP of $30+ dollars. There are basically no coin shops that sell non-numismatic coins (ie:bullion).

You may or may not be aware that if we want to buy Bullion in any size shape or form other than a "1 oz Kookaburra" which is $42 (40 US$). There is a 6-8 week waiting period and this is shipped from the Perth Mint (basically there is risks involved with this which most silver bugs are aware of..).

So my friend, if we want to take hold of silver in Australia paying up to 25 US$ per OZ on ebay is still not so bad ... in fact its a good option... we can order 1 KG (2 pound) bars and higher if we pay up front and wait for delviery (2 months later!) NOTE: the price is spot + $25 (so around $600 for a 1 KG at the moment).

Basically if you can't get silver cheaper anywhere its either pay ebay prices or miss out on cheap silver all together. I must admit i am insanely jealous hearing you US guys talking about sub $20/oz deals you get...

We can't even get what you refer to as "Junk Silver" because it all gets melted when it comes into the coin shops except gem examples which are sold well over spot as numismatic rarities.

I assume theres heaps of small time investors out there like me with no method of purchasing sub $20 per oz/silver primarily due to geographic displacement me thinks... but hey im happy to get it at 25 or below... its just other forum members and the US public in general seem to have discounted silver... lucky you , make the most of it i say.

paker
4th June 2008, 05:26
Basically if you can't get silver cheaper anywhere its either pay ebay prices or miss out on cheap silver all together. I must admit i am insanely jealous hearing you US guys talking about sub $20/oz deals you get...

But cheaper prices are available from online dealers like Apmex or Gainesville Coins. I think the main reason people pay the high prices on Ebay is because they can buy 1 at a time, when they have the money. I can't imagine why there would be any other reason.

bgosche
4th June 2008, 06:03
I agree with paker. I've got some good deals buying 20+oz at a time even with shipping costs but 1 - 10oz prices are insane. I was trying to pick up some of the Engelhard American Prospector rounds but couldn't find anything under $26/oz unless an auction ended in the middle of the night.

Da Flyin Lion
4th June 2008, 08:54
I've bought around $1000 worth of Silver on Ebay over the last few months and the deals are there. Typically you can get 90% junk Silver at spot or below if you are patient. Saturday and Sunday afternoon seems like a good time to buy for some reason. I've also found a few deals on Silver Eagles in the $18-$20 range. Peace Dollars can also occasionally be had for under $15 if you look long enough.

Phaeton
4th June 2008, 10:21
But cheaper prices are available from online dealers like Apmex or Gainesville Coins. I think the main reason people pay the high prices on Ebay is because they can buy 1 at a time, when they have the money. I can't imagine why there would be any other reason.

I was also thinking that this could be a reason why people pay those prices on Ebay. On Ebay, the concept of "minimum order" or "not in stock" really doesn't apply. You can get whatever small/medium amount you want as well as any major brand here, with little issue. Want a single prospector round? You can get it.... as long as you're willing to pay the price.

... and that's one mean guard dog Drumblebum!

clr8ter
4th June 2008, 18:11
What about 40% silver? I bought some on E-Bay about a year ago, well below spot....I noticed last night that it is still selling for below spot. 20 40% halves were going for about $40 or so, but worth for silver content more like $50. Anyone else buy this stuff?

JesterJay
4th June 2008, 22:27
I do not find much 40% around here, but I convert it right away for .999 or 90% or cash to go buy .999!
Not that I don't like 40%, but no one else seems to. I don't think it will ever bring near what the 90% brings, 90% having the potential of future monetary use. And of course, won't ever touch .999+ because it has to be refined having so much copper in it. NOT that copper is a bad thing to have...but you get my meaning. Don't you?
It HAS to bring less since you NEED to "add value" to it to make it an end product. 90% is already "money-ready" and .999+ is "pure" already.
That's all I have to say about that*,
JesterJay
*Until I think of something else to add.

What about 40% silver? I bought some on E-Bay about a year ago, well below spot....I noticed last night that it is still selling for below spot. 20 40% halves were going for about $40 or so, but worth for silver content more like $50. Anyone else buy this stuff?

1for1
4th June 2008, 22:43

Hello, After looking at these two companies i had to register first... neither of which let me without supplying a USA state and zip code. Please remember people that its a global economy and there are investors outside of USA such as myself. Even if i could make an order through these companies unless im making a substantial order of 1000 OZ + then the psotage cost and insurance will blow out the per OZ cost to well over 23.50 per unit $US.

I mentioned in my earlier post that we are able to buy silver 31 OZ (1kg)+ without difficulty at good prices... however this method involves pre-payment and waiting 2 months before the bullion is available to be collected.

Other than this our options are minimal, either :

1: we buy numismatic coins (well beyond melt) or proof kookaburras for $40

2: Order from OS and wait for delivery, pay heaps for postage and risk theft, loss of product.

3. Buy silver on EBAY (note most sellers dont even offer postage to worldwide - this is an important point i believe further restricting supply on ebay). For myself this really limits what i can buy, also if postage is too costly i have to just forget about it! Im sure if someone were to see the auctions that go for 25%+ over melt the auction will be open to worldwide bidders. If not then im sure the final price will be less due to the fact you can order from these online companies etc within USA. Basically

Your point about quantities is a good point, i have already got my large quantities so im really just buying silver now with the portion left of my weekly income which is disposable.. but having said this, any way i look at it i am lucky to get silver for under $22 for any qauntity less than a kg? Occassionally i get silver for 18 or so on ebay but then postage brings it up to over $20..

So please note its a global market and you rich culture of coins and silver as an investment is insulating yourselves from a world physical marketplace that cant get silver for under $5 over melt or 29.5% over melt! And i still have a smile on my face!

Peace out! 1for1!

clr8ter
5th June 2008, 17:20
Yes, Jester, I get your meaning........And I never really considered the fact that someone would have to add value to make it closer to a useable form. Now I am starting to think I should dump it and buy 90%. I think also that if someone were to give me some copper not mixed with anything, I would take that, too.

Argentum
5th June 2008, 23:52
Anyone see them 2008 Ohio 100 oz bars?? Wish they looked a bit more crisp, but then with a 2008 stamp, maybe one would not worry about fills....

Vinco
6th June 2008, 13:23
Hey Phaeton,

I too have noticed a decided jump in recent weeks for the final eBay prices on Canadian junk silver eBay auctions.

I've also noticed is adecided drop for "lots".

Most of the Canadian Canadian junk silver coinage (pre 1967 dollars, halves, quarters & dimes, which were 80% silver, 20% copper) eBay auctions recently are for a handful of old coins at best: almost all are single coins now.

Looking promising! :-D

JesterJay
6th June 2008, 19:33
Dump? Perhaps not. Trade or sell at opportune times for something "better", I think so.
No need to jump to contusions.
Buying any silver for a good price is a good idea. Though the best way to get the best silver is to continue to upgrade to that which you think is the best for you to hold.

AND, perhaps most importantly, I have been told by lcs guys that 40% is way out of favor along with war nickels (35%) and to a lesser extent, Canadian coins (here in the USA that is, in Canadanadia it is probably the opposite).

In short, yeah, dump the 40% and get the 90%. I like 90% more and more as time goes by and don't know why...???
Silver:
Grab it and hold it tight!
JesterJay

Yes, Jester, I get your meaning........And I never really considered the fact that someone would have to add value to make it closer to a useable form. Now I am starting to think I should dump it and buy 90%. I think also that if someone were to give me some copper not mixed with anything, I would take that, too.

hiyosilver
7th June 2008, 03:41
I like 90% more and more as time goes by and don't know why...???

Me too....perhaps because more real money (Ag) for less paper, and no trails...

JesterJay
7th June 2008, 19:14
So stealthy, my friend.
JesterJay

Me too....perhaps because more real money (Ag) for less paper, and no trails...

SilverTrees
10th June 2008, 15:35
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned paypal as a motive to buy high priced silver on ebay. Unlike anywhere else online, you don't have to pay extra to use a credit card with paypal! What's a credit card you may ask? It's a card that lets you spend money YOU DON'T HAVE!!! There are 2 reasons to ponder....

Phaeton
11th June 2008, 18:42
I can't believe that nobody has mentioned paypal as a motive to buy high priced silver on ebay. Unlike anywhere else online, you don't have to pay extra to use a credit card with paypal! What's a credit card you may ask? It's a card that lets you spend money YOU DON'T HAVE!!! There are 2 reasons to ponder....

WOW!! I use Paypal and never even gave that a thought! Using that in addition to getting a good deal on Ebay makes it a better option than some websites!

amadeus
11th June 2008, 21:25

OK here's an idea, let's all apply for and get as many credit cards as possible, max out our credit cards to buy as much cheap silver on eBay as possible, not pay the cards back, and worsen the whole economic situation in the US even more thus driving the price of our silver up further. Once the dollar completely collapses our debts will be meaningless anyways. :rolleyes:

hiyosilver
12th June 2008, 01:12
:confused:....credit cards spell d-e-b-t....I'll pass...

amadeus
12th June 2008, 01:43
credit cards only spell debt when measured in a currency that actually has value. were the US dollar to suddenly plummet in value, any debts you racked up while it stil had "value" now would be a joke

hiyosilver
12th June 2008, 03:27
but I tend to think that years of waddling walmart weasels, buying things they don't need with money they don't have is one of the major contributions to the reason we will all have to pay.....Can you really blame the rest of the world for being pissed?

amadeus
12th June 2008, 18:36
but I tend to think that years of waddling walmart weasels, buying things they don't need with money they don't have is one of the major contributions to the reason we will all have to pay.....Can you really blame the rest of the world for being pissed?

That's the basis of the whole current economic problem... just that it was caused by mortgages... stupid people buying things they don't really need with money they don't really have which is "credited" to them by banks which also don't really have the money themselves... it's a system that is simply guaranteed to break down every so often.

hiyosilver
13th June 2008, 00:43
just that it was caused by mortgages...

mortgages, SUVs, HDTVs, bacon cheeseburgers, cheese fries, and chocolate shakes.... :D

seriously, during the Katrina crisis, my son worked in a walmart several hundred miles away in another state. He told me how "victims" with emergency government checks were flooding in there purchasing HDTVs and various other electronics with those checks. No wonder people of other countries hate "americans" when they see that kind of priorities and morals.

Yeah, I know. Way off subject. Sorry, just needed to vent...

Phaeton
14th June 2008, 17:02
mortgages, SUVs, HDTVs, bacon cheeseburgers, cheese fries, and chocolate shakes.... :D

seriously, during the Katrina crisis, my son worked in a walmart several hundred miles away in another state. He told me how "victims" with emergency government checks were flooding in there purchasing HDTVs and various other electronics with those checks. No wonder people of other countries hate "americans" when they see that kind of priorities and morals.

Yeah, I know. Way off subject. Sorry, just needed to vent...

Mmmmmm.... cheesefries.... :)

Funny you mention this. I have a friend who lives in Texas who mentioned seeing the same thing your son did. Pretty sad if you ask me. You just lost everything and the first thing you think about is a stinking 50"!

But... back to silver on Ebay. It seems that some of the best deals there can be found in 90%. I just picked some up for under spot and it includes shipping... and I didn't use a credit card either...

hiyosilver
14th June 2008, 22:14
I tried Ebay for 90% for awhile, but I found it too time consuming. I've been able to find 90% for 12X. Even though now it's a little over spot, I was still able to find it for the same price when spot was a dollar higher. I checked around with some other dealers though and they're getting 12.6X with spot at $16.50.

As far as the spot price though, everything depends on world events. Trends say it could go down into the 13's, but who knows what might trigger the big bump!

silver_surfer
25th November 2008, 16:30
back in time...soon everyone will be buyin and paying more..and will cost us more..

mkman
29th November 2008, 10:54
with the MSN 30% cashback, a lot of these high prices you see are much lower some below spot once the 30% cashback takes effect.

I would agree that before the msn cashback, yes ebayers do pay a lot more.

argentos
1st December 2008, 07:53
.......but dont know if my account will be banned when i bought?

I hope so.

chux03
2nd December 2008, 12:00
www.apmex.com had 90% for 10 times face value which I thought to be a fair price. Plus it was for 50 cent pieces...and that was a couple of days ago. www.tulving.com usually has some good prices on 90% too.

cugir321
5th December 2008, 20:05
Got my commission check today. All ready to plop sown some greenbacks for some eagles. Boom! No 30% cash back today with live.com....shoot!!! I'm upset!

with the MSN 30% cashback, a lot of these high prices you see are much lower some below spot once the 30% cashback takes effect.

I would agree that before the msn cashback, yes ebayers do pay a lot more.

My Pants Are Cold
5th December 2008, 21:20
No wonder people of other countries hate "americans" when they see that kind of priorities and morals.

And who exactly gives a **** what "other countries" think?

mark2112gum
5th December 2008, 22:31

That's the problem, other countries ie: China, hold a ton of US dollars, and therefore could really hurt the States if they all the sudden sold there stash of American cash. (hurt maybe to mild a word, more like destroy the economy).

goldminer
6th December 2008, 12:22
"...China, hold a ton of US dollars, and therefore could really hurt the States if they all the sudden sold there stash of American cash. (hurt maybe to mild a word, more like destroy the economy)..."

Will you please explain how China's selling U.S. dollars will have any impact on the U.S.?

U.S. dollars are fiat currency. This means that they are not backed by anything of value. The only value U.S. dollars have is what people BELIEVE the dollars have. In exchange for personal expertise, time, and work (employment) U.S. workers accept U.S. dollars ONLY because they BELIEVE that in turn, they can trade the dollars for goods and services that they need.

All U.S. dollars are debt as soon as they are put into circulation by the Federal Reserve banksters.

Subsequently all dollars that China or anybody else has is debt...China has been trading goods for U.S. currency that has no intrinsic value. Said another way, China has been shipping goods to the U.S. and in turn taking on U.S. debt.

hiyosilver
6th December 2008, 20:43
If I were China, I'd trade those dollars for silver, gold, and mining stocks.....oh yeah, I already do that!.....

Irons
6th December 2008, 22:11

I can honestly say I do not give a **** what other countries think.:cool:

JesterJay
6th December 2008, 22:33
I don't even give a **** what I say!!!
JesterJay
Who the hell cares?

Bigheadt
8th December 2008, 12:53
E-bay is cheaper for someone like me who can only afford a few ounces a month, even cheaper than ordering from apmex, which has the lowest minimum that i know of (im open to any suggestions for an alternative) . When you factor in shipping and taxes ,i usually buy from ebay at a lower price per ounce.

GraysonDave
8th December 2008, 19:20
Deals can be had on ebay, but only with persistence. I'm talking bidding on hundreds of auctions in the hopes of winning a handful here and there. Every once in a while you'll get lucky and find an auction that for some reason doesn't generate a bid as high as other similar auctions.

In the last couple of months I have bid on maybe 1 of every 50 auctions I've looked at and won maybe 3-4% of those. I have purchased lots as small as one coin and as large as $40 face of quarters. Probably the best purchase was 50 1964 Kennedy's for $177.50, so you can see I'm not stealing deals from folks, but I have picked up a chunk of 90% at an average of 8.2x face.

Edit: It also takes discipline to not get caught up in the "winning". It's tough sometimes to let one go because it barely exceeded your limit. But if you can settle for not winning the bulk of the auctions you bid on you will be better off.

Mr. Jingles
8th December 2008, 19:59
There are some good deals on ebay if you have the patience to search. Last night I purchased 3 rolls of pre 64 quarters for 8.4X face and after reading some great posts on here I realized that it was a good deal. Thanks to all for the information.

GraysonDave
8th December 2008, 20:06
That's the auction that had up to 13 rolls, right? I should have been a little more aggressive and won a couple of those, but I am limiting myself to 8x face this month to leave a little for buying presents. You got a good buy, in my opinion.

hiyosilver
8th December 2008, 20:20

and I can honestly say, your intelligence speaks for itself....

Mr. Jingles
8th December 2008, 21:24
That is correct 13 rolls up for bid. I did not think they would go that cheap or I would have bought 6 . I have learned from this forum that 10X or less is a good deal. Sorry you missed out but I know what you mean about holiday spending.

mark2112gum
8th December 2008, 23:28
and I can honestly say, your intelligence speaks for itself....

Very well put!!!!

Opinions are like ass-holes, every ones got one

mgbfan
9th December 2008, 16:56
Made my first buy today. Decided to pay a little extra for the immediate gratification, so ordered 50 Philharmonics and 10 Eagles on Kitco. Didn't time it perfectly, but got 50 Phils for 12.22 each and 10 Eagles for 13.97 each. With shipping and insurance, it came out to $13.30 per ounce. I figure those coins are going to have a higher premium resale value than NWTM rounds anyway, so I was okay with it. My next purchace will probably be NWTM, since I'll be more patient, having some in hand.

Sorry - getting off topic, but so many people in this thread helped me I thought the update should go here. How'd I do?

JesterJay
9th December 2008, 20:41
You did OUTSTANDING!!!
Now go do it again,
JesterJay

How'd I do?

cdavport
9th December 2008, 22:17
Made my first buy today. Decided to pay a little extra for the immediate gratification, so ordered 50 Philharmonics and 10 Eagles on Kitco. Didn't time it perfectly, but got 50 Phils for 12.22 each and 10 Eagles for 13.97 each. With shipping and insurance, it came out to $13.30 per ounce. I figure those coins are going to have a higher premium resale value than NWTM rounds anyway, so I was okay with it. My next purchace will probably be NWTM, since I'll be more patient, having some in hand.

Sorry - getting off topic, but so many people in this thread helped me I thought the update should go here. How'd I do?

Just curious, what kind of ship date did they give you?

mgbfan
9th December 2008, 22:26
I paid by check, so I have to wait for it to clear to get one, I think.

Vipergq
17th December 2008, 22:33
I snagged a bunch of the Phils last week for Cheap. Sure wish I bought alot more now though... price has gone up over 2.00 since I pulled the trigger on 60 of them... :(

sunsetcliff
18th December 2008, 19:43
With Ebay one is paying for coins in hand. Not a 2 month wait.... which is enough time to...not happen.