PDA

View Full Version : Silver/gold Ratio

Mr_Tee
21st May 2008, 11:43
Can anyone tell me what they think the ratio of Gold/Silver should be? Since there is less silver available compared to gold.
I am not an expert but here is my guess

My guess would be the Silver gold ratio turned upside dow. Gold/Silver 15/1.

15 ounces of gold to every ounce of silver.

Richard
21st May 2008, 12:12
With the numbers I've seen, it's more like 5:1 favoring silver. But that was the 2006 total supplies for each metal. I haven't found any more up to date ones yet. That's still not bad at all though! If it is to be 15:1, then there would need to be only some 300 million ounces of silver left, assuming gold didn't increase by much as silver supply was further drawn down, which isn't out of the question in the longer run.

7nomads
21st May 2008, 13:39
Dinar history

According to Islamic law, the Islamic dinar is a coin of 22k (91.7%) gold weighing 4.25 grams. The Islamic dirham coin is 3.0 grams of pure silver. Umar Ibn al-Khattab established the known standard relationship between them based on their weights: "7 dinars must be equivalent to 10 dirhams."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_gold_dinar

US History was 15:1

Personally I'll take either, My children may get 1:1 someday.

amadeus
21st May 2008, 16:28
Silver is about 17 times more abundant in the Earth's crust than gold.

It's just silly to assume you'd ever get more gold for silver than you would silver for gold.

JesterJay
21st May 2008, 17:03
Here is the reason Silver will surpass Gold in price someday.
ALL (99.8% of it) ever mined is still available.
Not true of the very rare and very valuable, true precious metal and
Once In a Lifetime Opportunity!
SILVER!!!
It has been ALL (OK, lot's of it) used up. USGovt sold off all theirs, same for China, et al.
It doesn't matter much if we mine more silver if Most or ALL the mined silver goes for industrial use and investment is left to fend for itself.
Thus creating a HUGE demand.
Hey, I think I got this one right!
JesterJay

Silver is about 17 times more abundant in the Earth's crust than gold.

It's just silly to assume you'd ever get more gold for silver than you would silver for gold.

7nomads
22nd May 2008, 07:26
What you said, A lot more gold than silver above ground. Silver is found closer to the earth's surface and gold is found deeper.

Look for South America with their silver mines being the next Middle East with their oil.

Will we see intervention there in the next 20 years or sooner?