PDA

View Full Version : SAE Premiums Question

bluepelican
5th December 2009, 13:25
I'm relatively new to this so bare with me . . . I went to my local coin shop today to buy a couple tubes. The premiums are up $1.00 from a week ago so I ended up walking out with nothing, thinking I might be able to find a deal on eBay over the weekend or maybe I should order some generics or bars. I know the mint is sold out and premiums are up everywhere, but is there any chance that they will come down over the coming week(s)? If the higher premiums are here to stay, I'm thinking I should head back to the coin shop before they close today.

Also, I know the Canadian Mint is already selling 2010 maple leafs. When can we expect 2010 silver eagles?

ryshay
5th December 2009, 13:31
I'm relatively new to this so bare with me . . . I went to my local coin shop today to buy a couple tubes. The premiums are up $1.00 from a week ago so I ended up walking out with nothing, thinking I might be able to find a deal on eBay over the weekend or maybe I should order some generics or bars. I know the mint is sold out and premiums are up everywhere, but is there any chance that they will come down over the coming week(s)? If the higher premiums are here to stay, I'm thinking I should head back to the coin shop before they close today.

Also, I know the Canadian Mint is already selling 2010 maple leafs. When can we expect 2010 silver eagles?

When did you go in the coin shop? Today? Friday?

I would not buy AEs or Buffalos right now. Buy some generic rounds or Maple Leaves or something else. I expect the premium will drop to normal levels in January, after the Christmas rush is over.

See, the PM dealers know that there is a big rush in December to get AEs for your loved ones at Christmas. They know that you can't get them anymore until 2010, since the USMint is not making any thereby breaking the law (what else is new?). So, PM dealers will try to overcharge you for AE's until Jan 2010, when the USMint decides to start minting again (unless, of course, the USMint does NOT start minting again....). You see, the USMint has not announced when they will resume minting yet! Last year, they stopped minting in December, and they restarted in January, if that helps.

There are plenty of other wonderful silver bullion items to buy right now, without the big temporary premiums on AEs.