PDA

View Full Version : The eBay Market .. anyone watching?

revlishch
1st December 2009, 22:38
Just curious if the majority of folks on the board are still net buyers? I picked up another two ounces a few minutes ago with a little 10% help from Microsoft. Prices on eBay are now a firm $25 for any government-issued coin (Eagle, Maple, Phil, etc). There are still some art bars and rounds a little cheaper, but in my doomsday scenario I'm not confident someone will take a coin with ELVIS PRESLEY on the front as legitimate, so I pretty much have big-name-mint bars and government issued silver.

When silver was $10-13/oz, finding sellers with free shipping in the $17-18/oz range was a really good price. Nowadays, throw in the cashback (thanks for subsiding hard assets, Microsoft) and you can get freely shipped silver at a mere $3 above spot ($25 - 2.50). That's the same price Apmex is selling for without the egregious shipping cost!

Who knows how long before sellers back up to $30. That's a small advantage with eBay .. you can get someone's asking price from three days ago when the market price was a buck and a half cheaper.

Relayer
1st December 2009, 22:41
Cheapest eagles (small quantities) are going for $24

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-AMERICAN-SILVER-EAGLE-GEM-BU-FROM-ORIG-MINT-ROLL_W0QQitemZ330372079980QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins _Bullion?hash=item4cebb5e16c

main1event
1st December 2009, 22:48
You'll be paying close to $21.50 right now at APMEX.com. Of course in a few seconds that might be higher :)

Cup-of-Ruin
1st December 2009, 23:16
Really strong bidding for rarities and numismatic coins, bullion strong as well.

Colonel Clink
2nd December 2009, 00:13
Really strong bidding for rarities and numismatic coins, bullion strong as well.

Have been kicking myself for loading up on MS65 gold and silver rarities instead of bullion when this all began; very lackluster growth for 2 years while bullion shoots for the moon.

Maybe rarities are hitting their stride? Perhaps the country club set is finally reading the writing on the wall? :D

Colonel Clink
2nd December 2009, 00:25
Just curious if the majority of folks on the board are still net buyers? I picked up another two ounces a few minutes ago with a little 10% help from Microsoft. Prices on eBay are now a firm $25 for any government-issued coin (Eagle, Maple, Phil, etc). There are still some art bars and rounds a little cheaper, but in my doomsday scenario I'm not confident someone will take a coin with ELVIS PRESLEY on the front as legitimate, so I pretty much have big-name-mint bars and government issued silver.

When silver was $10-13/oz, finding sellers with free shipping in the $17-18/oz range was a really good price. Nowadays, throw in the cashback (thanks for subsiding hard assets, Microsoft) and you can get freely shipped silver at a mere $3 above spot ($25 - 2.50). That's the same price Apmex is selling for without the egregious shipping cost!

Who knows how long before sellers back up to $30. That's a small advantage with eBay .. you can get someone's asking price from three days ago when the market price was a buck and a half cheaper.

When I got off my keister a month ago and started scrambling for silver (you know, it rapidly became an obsession) I went to Ebay and found excellent deals well below spot on 90% coin in the 12x FV range, shipping included.

Here's what I learned: Bid once only AT THE LAST FEW SECONDS on larger ($80-$100 FV ) lots ENDING ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON. Made my best scores there and then consistently.

Those easy $1200 lots are now going for close to $1500. Bwahahahaha!

Stack on! :cool:

Relayer
2nd December 2009, 00:26
You must be talking silver. Silver numis have done squat for at least a year and half.

I have only a few pf 70's in gold but they have done very well.

The best of the bunch is the one ounce gold eagle. When I saw it I just had to have one. It was so stunning. I bought it when gold was 940 (summer 2008) FMV was 1500. Today FMV 2380. I had no idea that the numis would perform so well. Gold up $275. Gold Coin up $880

Colonel Clink
2nd December 2009, 00:34
Great, but the problem is, growth is quite uneven depending on particular issues. Congratulations on your good fortune. The "flip side" however is the 30% haircut off greysheet value you'll get from a dealer should you decide to sell. It's a crooked market; bullion is much more straight forward.

SilverLite
2nd December 2009, 00:37
i'm still buying now, but only with spare money (family room couch, kids piggy bank, etc... ok, just kidding about the couch) :)

local dealer raised asking price to $2 over spot for AEs $1 for generic...

Relayer
2nd December 2009, 01:02
The "flip side" however is the 30% haircut off greysheet value you'll get from a dealer should you decide to sell. It's a crooked market; bullion is much more straight forward.

Relayer: Oh yeah. I'm well aware of that too. Just for the heck of it, this summer I took a couple of the rarer silver pf 70's to a coin show.
They laughed at me! I laughed back. It was more like a 60% haircut!!

Colonel Clink
2nd December 2009, 01:13
The "flip side" however is the 30% haircut off greysheet value you'll get from a dealer should you decide to sell. It's a crooked market; bullion is much more straight forward.

Relayer: Oh yeah. I'm well aware of that too. Just for the heck of it, this summer I took a couple of the rarer silver pf 70's to a coin show.
They laughed at me! I laughed back. It was more like a 60% haircut!!

"Crookeder than a dog's hind leg" my grandpa used to say! ;)

Colonel Clink
2nd December 2009, 14:57
Your Rule-of-Thumb is as close to the truth as I've heard. The old saw of rare gold type coins being "beachfront property" is only true for the thin slice of society that can afford the beach. :rolleyes:

Jake
2nd December 2009, 15:07
Stay out of Coin Shops --They're a Total Rip Off.
Out of all the coin shops in my area, Only one allows me to sift through junk silver and he never has much anyway.
Some coin shops throw people out if you ask for good deals or if you want them to be competitive with On-line Companies like APMEX or Westminster Mint.

I've even heard of one coin shop who throws you out because "you're just a pain in the arse"---her words not mine, if you ask to sift through her junk silver. Best thing to do in this case would be to ask if they throw out customers who have IQ's greater than 3 points lower than a floor tile.

I know why coin shops hate customers who want good deals. They can't afford to sell to those people. Coin shops love idiots. Don't be an idiot and get hooked buying from Coin Shops unless you can verify they sell the exact same stuff for less than the On-line companies.

That said---Avoid On-line companies that you must "call" to ask for prices or place orders like Monex. Most of these companies have salesmen who want you to open a trading account or want you to store your silver with them.

Good luck with those numismatic coins...Spreads generally narrow on Numismatics as prices go higher.

ccjoe
2nd December 2009, 15:11
Out of all the coin shops in my area, Only one allows me to sift through junk silver and he never has much anyway.
Some coin shops throw people out if you ask for good deals or if you want them to be competitive with On-line Companies like APMEX or Westminster Mint.

I've even heard of one coin shop who throws you out because "you're just a pain in the arse"---her words not mine, if you ask to sift through her junk silver. Best thing to do in this case would be to ask if they throw out customers who have IQ's greater than 3 points lower than a floor tile.

I know why coin shops hate customers who want good deals. They can't afford to sell to those people. Coin shops love idiots. Don't be an idiot and get hooked buying from Coin Shops unless you can verify they sell the exact same stuff for less than the On-line companies.

That said---Avoid On-line companies that you must "call" to ask for prices or place orders like Monex. Most of these companies have salesmen who want you to open a trading account or want you to store your silver with them.

Good luck with those numismatic coins...Spreads generally narrow on Numismatics as prices go higher.

Strictly buy from APMEX for less than 500 ozs and Tulving for 500 or more.

ccjoe
2nd December 2009, 15:27
It is sooooo much fun to be hated by Jake.

It's one of those things where you realize that the lot of you he despises are rather like a rarified club. His despising is about like a Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval from normal, non-compulsive, non-social miscreant, decent peeps.

The attitude HE has, ****, I wouldn't even let him pick through sheep turds in the pasture.

It's rather fun, however, it doesn't take much to set-him-off again. If it wasn't rainy and miserable, I might be out doing something instead of tossing out little grenades that end up with my words causing me to Play Jake Like a Fiddle.

It's like....I own him...in a way. Although he's not worth mentally possessing.

But ya gotta give him credit for...trying.

LOL.

And aren't his insults brilliant?

Howard Stern ain't gonna hafta move over for Jake.

As for low IQs. Has it not occurred to ANY of you that Tulving, NWTM, Apmex, et-al are, in actuality COIN SHOPS? They are staffed, well-staffed, and the people consider themselves coin and precious metal DEALERS.

UH...DUH!!!

And I'll bet it I were to sit down with the Big Boyz from the above places over a cigarette and a mixed drink, I'd hear SCREAMINGLY FUNNY stories from them, too, about the (fortunately smallish) number of PITAs with whom they deal, heh, heh.

His last post here was true and helpful SQ.
Yours is rambling on and on about nonsense.
Hans doesn't drink or smoke esp after his stroke.
I quit drinking 35 years ago and work out 3 hours a day, every day.
So a lot of your ramblings are simply that, rambling. NOT trying to set you off but on a silver site, maybe try talking about silver as Jake just did.
He's 100% right about the coin shops and your wrong with your rambling.

ccjoe
2nd December 2009, 15:30
P.S. Hans and the good people at APMEX ARE experts so there's no need to denigrade them.
Check out Hans' customers letters. I'm the first one. Jake, me, Val, Dale, and a few others are real players in PM's not ramblers about buffoonery, so try to sober up and show a little respect.

hippiebrian
2nd December 2009, 16:10

I don't necessarily agree with this. If the shop is selling the bulk silver at a reasonable price, buy some and sort through it at home. If you score, great, if not, use them as bullion. Remember, coin shops are businesses, and need to make a profit to stay open. If attending you looking through bulk silver at a low profit margin is keeping them away from a potential customer who may spend more for numismatics, then I'd not allow it also. You can sort at home, at your own leisure, without bothering anyone. If you just want to pick for deals, I suggest a coin show in your area, the people at the tables will usually not care how long you pick through their junk boxes. Also remember, about the local shops, if you are nice and they get to know you, deals may be cut later! I've scored like that with my dealer better than anywhere else, which keeps me buying some of his stuff at his marked price. Overall, I'm getting good deals!

mountainmurph
2nd December 2009, 17:17
Surely, if you have a negative experience with a few shops, that doesn't mean that the whole business is bad and all coinshop-owners are horrible people??
I would love to have a nice coin-shop anywhere nearby where I could come in every two weeks to see whats new and talk to fellow silver-nuts, because there sure are very few of them here, whenever I try talking about silver people think I'm mad and try to change the subject....

Suze, if I wasn't living 10,000 miles away, I would be hanging around in your shop all the time ;) Love your posts, I can see you're a writer!

I agree. I've been collecting coins since the early 60's and most coin dealers I've found are honest, genuine,and down to earth people.
During pm melts, of which they've been a few, bullion buyers and sellers posing as coin dealers swamp the industry giving legitimate dealers a bad name.
I suppose the bullion dealers serve a purpose though,to deal with the "players" who think they've discovered something we've known all along, AND WHO THINK THEY DESERVE RESPECT because of the $ amounts they throw around ,while giving none.
Suzy Q I'd love to spend an afternoon in your shop talking coins and life with real experts.

beach miner
2nd December 2009, 17:45
Anyone who has been in a competive business for decades has Mastered their Trade. They may not be THE MASTER, but they have certainly served their Apprentiship and prevailed. I'm glad to check out Suz and Hub's Coin Shop whenever she posts, saves me the thousands of dollars it would cost to travel down there and Hang-Around and LEARN something in their store. When it comes to FUNDEMENTALS the old addage of "Point your finger, three pointing back," especially holds true here. Seems like the New Silver Bugs-REFUGEES from Stock TA, and Real Estate TA are the first to attack old Silver Bugs who have gone through the DECADES of UPs and Downs that our Beloved VOLITALE Precious Metal has dished out. All business'es need to make a profit. Each business is unique. Owner's make the rules. If ya want a State Run metals store, go to Cuba. See Ya At The Top.

Jake
2nd December 2009, 18:03
Hippie says, “If the shop is selling the bulk silver at a reasonable price, buy some and sort through it at home.”
Jake said, “Don't be an idiot and get hooked buying from Coin Shops unless you can verify they sell the exact same stuff for less than the On-line companies.”
Hippie, I can get junk silver On-line that “I SORT THROUGH AT HOME”—it’s always been priced less per oz. than Coin Shops. However, if it was the same price or less at a coin shop, buy it. However, since it’s more, the only way to counteract the higher price is to find better condition coins at the higher Coin shop price. Now---why do some owners want to “throw you out on your arse”?...because they have already sorted through their junk silver and are offering the most worn out **** for a higher price than what’s generally accepted as 715 oz per $1000 face.

Hippie says, “If attending you looking through bulk silver at a low profit margin is keeping them away from a potential customer who may spend more for numismatics, then I'd not allow it also.”
Jake says, "You’ve made my case hippie." They don’t want to DEAL with customers who want the best deal. Therefore, my advice to stay away from Rip-off Coin shops has been validated by your premise.

Hippie says, “You can sort at home, at your own leisure, without bothering anyone.”
Jake says, “typical from types like you…customers who are there to PAY money for goods are a BOTHER!-typical---typical!---You’re a good candidate for Suze coin shop.

Hippie says, “If you just want to pick for deals, I suggest a coin show in your area, the people at the tables will usually not care how long you pick through their junk boxes.

Jake Says, You’re making my case again…”If you want GOOD DEALS…go somewhere else. Again…You need your IQ tested

Hippie says, “Also remember, about the local shops, if you are nice and they get to know you, deals may be cut later!

Jake says, “So you have to be NICE to get a good deal from a coin shop?...Since When?...Again…I guess Suze wants NICE people instead of Money?...I don’t think so…She wants Idiots who part with their money easily…Again, Hippie…You might want to stop in at her shop.

Hippie says, “I've scored like that with my dealer better than anywhere else, which keeps me buying some of his stuff at his marked price. Overall, I'm getting good deals!
Jake says, “who said ALL COIN SHOPS are to be avoided…I said here and in my Coin shop Report thread that I had found one coin shop owner who actually wanted to do business with customers who wanted the best deal…I bought from him, but he didn’t have much in the way of “best deals’ at the time…However, I said…If you find THE EXACT SAME THING for Less or even the same price including Shipping from the On-line dealer…Buy it from the Coin Shop. However, don’t be an idiot and fall for BS like what I believe would happen at a certain coin shop owned by a certain type of person who likes throwing customers out of her store on their Arse.

Silver Nut says, “would love to have a nice coin-shop anywhere nearby where I could come in every two weeks to see what's new and talk to fellow silver-nuts”
Jake says, “Excellent---Me too…but do you still buy from them if the deal is not competitive?...If so…then you qualify as one of those people Coin shop owners love.

Mountainmurph says, “suppose the bullion dealers serve a purpose though, to deal with the "players" who think they've discovered something we've known all along, AND WHO THINK THEY DESERVE RESPECT because of the $ amounts they throw around ,while giving none.”

Jake Says, “You think the only people who buy on-line are people who buy with “$ amounts that they throw around”?---I buy what I can at any dollar amount. I spent a lousy $500 last time I was in a coin shop, But I got 90% junk silver for $13 per $1.00 face when spot was 18.34---I bought Kennedy halves---that’s 6.50 per half or $17.97/oz.---That was the Coin Shop I was talking about…He let me sort through---I found 3 Walkers I thought were overly worn---so I didn’t Buy ‘em…He didn’t want to throw me out on my Arse…He wanted my Biz.

Jake
2nd December 2009, 18:46
I didn't read all your verbiage Jake.

Just cut to the chase.

SURPRISE IS ON YOU.

We REGULARLY BEAT the price per ASE and AGE that the Big Boys y'all frequent so adoringly. We deal directly with one of the Primary Mint Dealers, same as they do, and get the same stuff to parcel out and we don't feel we have to make such a huge profit on each coin to pay Da Overhead, so we are competitive enough that even other dealers buy from us.

So put that in your pipe and smoke it about "competitive". To say in biz'ness nowadays, don't care WHAT it is, you'd better be competitive. And offer true service, which we do, except for those who tip their hands and fall into the category of PITAs. As you clearly would do as soon as ya opened your yap after walking in the door.

Go ahead, turkey, call me a liar.

But it IS the God's Honest TRUTH whether you believe it or not.

I don't care how competitive a coin shop is...If I thought I'd be Thrown out because I wanted a good deal, I wouldn't Patron that Shop. I posted a coin shop report that described my experience. I asked for a good deal on junk silver. The deal was ridiculous. You commented by saying---Did it occur to you that you were a bother and that you should have been thrown out on your Arse. I can get your quote...but anyone can go to the thread.

My response to you was, IMO, appropriate. I as a customer, I felt it was helpful to report that a coin shop in my area was charging that much for junk silver. You justified my report by siding with the coin shop owner defending the ridiculous price. As I said, my response in that thread to you was appropriate.

I understand shop owners and all businesses need to make a profit...But some businesses are not competitive. If you were competitive and you didn't throw customers out of your store for asking to sort through your junk silver, and not knowing you now, I'd do Biz with you if you were competitive.

But you don't like customers who want good deals. You want morons to part with their money easily, or you wouldn't have responded to me with that ridiculous post. I agree with CCJOE...you are a rambling "writer" in here and you started this. Not me. You posted your BS and You are the one who shows your true colors. I was simply reporting my coin shop experience.

JesterJay
2nd December 2009, 18:48
Holy Rowena!
Is it just me or is Jake getting reeeeeally annoying?
JesterJay

Hippie says, “If the shop is selling the bulk silver at a reasonable price, buy some and sort through it at home.”
Jake said, “Don't be an idiot and get hooked buying from Coin Shops unless you can verify they sell the exact same stuff for less than the On-line companies.”
Hippie, I can get junk silver On-line that “I SORT THROUGH AT HOME”—it’s always been priced less per oz. than Coin Shops. However, if it was the same price or less at a coin shop, buy it. However, since it’s more, the only way to counteract the higher price is to find better condition coins at the higher Coin shop price. Now---why do some owners want to “throw you out on your arse”?...because they have already sorted through their junk silver and are offering the most worn out **** for a higher price than what’s generally accepted as 715 oz per $1000 face.

Hippie says, “If attending you looking through bulk silver at a low profit margin is keeping them away from a potential customer who may spend more for numismatics, then I'd not allow it also.”
Jake says, "You’ve made my case hippie." They don’t want to DEAL with customers who want the best deal. Therefore, my advice to stay away from Rip-off Coin shops has been validated by your premise.

Hippie says, “You can sort at home, at your own leisure, without bothering anyone.”
Jake says, “typical from types like you…customers who are there to PAY money for goods are a BOTHER!-typical---typical!---You’re a good candidate for Suze coin shop.

Hippie says, “If you just want to pick for deals, I suggest a coin show in your area, the people at the tables will usually not care how long you pick through their junk boxes.

Jake Says, You’re making my case again…”If you want GOOD DEALS…go somewhere else. Again…You need your IQ tested

Hippie says, “Also remember, about the local shops, if you are nice and they get to know you, deals may be cut later!

Jake says, “So you have to be NICE to get a good deal from a coin shop?...Since When?...Again…I guess Suze wants NICE people instead of Money?...I don’t think so…She wants Idiots who part with their money easily…Again, Hippie…You might want to stop in at her shop.

Hippie says, “I've scored like that with my dealer better than anywhere else, which keeps me buying some of his stuff at his marked price. Overall, I'm getting good deals!
Jake says, “who said ALL COIN SHOPS are to be avoided…I said here and in my Coin shop Report thread that I had found one coin shop owner who actually wanted to do business with customers who wanted the best deal…I bought from him, but he didn’t have much in the way of “best deals’ at the time…However, I said…If you find THE EXACT SAME THING for Less or even the same price including Shipping from the On-line dealer…Buy it from the Coin Shop. However, don’t be an idiot and fall for BS like what I believe would happen at a certain coin shop owned by a certain type of person who likes throwing customers out of her store on their Arse.

Silver Nut says, “would love to have a nice coin-shop anywhere nearby where I could come in every two weeks to see what's new and talk to fellow silver-nuts”
Jake says, “Excellent---Me too…but do you still buy from them if the deal is not competitive?...If so…then you qualify as one of those people Coin shop owners love.

Mountainmurph says, “suppose the bullion dealers serve a purpose though, to deal with the "players" who think they've discovered something we've known all along, AND WHO THINK THEY DESERVE RESPECT because of the $ amounts they throw around ,while giving none.”

Jake Says, “You think the only people who buy on-line are people who buy with “$ amounts that they throw around”?---I buy what I can at any dollar amount. I spent a lousy $500 last time I was in a coin shop, But I got 90% junk silver for $13 per $1.00 face when spot was 18.34---I bought Kennedy halves---that’s 6.50 per half or $17.97/oz.---That was the Coin Shop I was talking about…He let me sort through---I found 3 Walkers I thought were overly worn---so I didn’t Buy ‘em…He didn’t want to throw me out on my Arse…He wanted my Biz.

hippiebrian
2nd December 2009, 19:04
Holy Rowena!
JesterJay

Nope, not just you...

My Pants Are Cold
2nd December 2009, 20:49
Holy Rowena!
JesterJay

Getting....?