PDA

View Full Version : Confiscation

hiyosilver
17th May 2008, 03:13
With the characteristics of supply and demand for silver, it seems that the government will likely attempt to confiscate it at some time in the future. My question is, In what ways might we protect ourselves from this? I realize paperless cash and carry purchases are the best, but what about bullion purchases that have paper trails? I hope to get a good response of several ideas and suggestions in answer to this question, because I'm already teed off at our government for letting us get in this mess, and I'd be dangerous if they took away my protection for my family.

Richard
17th May 2008, 04:22
I'm of mixed mind when it comes to such issues. If they were to do so efficiently, they would have to unleash the price and we'd get what's due anyhow. Or they could go door to door, but I'd say given the many messes in wake of or imminent collapse, they wouldn't have the time and manpower to even begain entertaining that notion.

I don't know for certain, but for some reason I can't seem to worry so much over it. IMV, they're just about washed up and done, hang em out to dry...

clr8ter
18th May 2008, 15:47
I would imagine that the Govt. would figure out that they do not have the time, $, resources to go get your stuff. I would bet that they would just make having it illegal. In which case it might be harder for you to unload it, or maybe not? I could also imagine that people would turn their noses up at the official govt. currency, and be more willing to accept silver as payment, illegal nor not....

SilverWhore
18th May 2008, 17:37
In my area nobody charges tax on bullion or anything so its cash and carry just the same. Either way I'm sure you could easily just bury or hide the stuff. There are no silver sniffing dogs so thats a plus. But I think if the government is stealing our property then we have another issue entirely. At that point we aren't talking about what the smartest financial decisions are to support your family, but what are the best ways to try and hide your scraps from a vicious and very real enemy. If it was illegal to own silver then trying to sell it would be like you are drug dealing. Only bold individuals would deal in PM's at that point, not the common businesses obviously. So why not make big money in drugs now rather than try to do essentially the same act with silver if they illegalize it? Seems like the same thing...just some thoughts I'm throwing out.

Skid
18th May 2008, 18:15
I would imagine that the Govt. would figure out that they do not have the time, $, resources to go get your stuff. I would bet that they would just make having it illegal. In which case it might be harder for you to unload it, or maybe not? I could also imagine that people would turn their noses up at the official govt. currency, and be more willing to accept silver as payment, illegal nor not....

Hardly anyone has silver. If I were to even suggest to my customers that they should consider investing in silver, they would think I was nuts. These are the same geniuses that bought houses in 05 and 06 with exploding arm loans, so, I guess the public is just not very good at having any original thoughts.

Making silver illegal, that would make our govt look pretty bad after going to the trouble of minting it for us.

clr8ter
18th May 2008, 18:38
Making silver illegal, that would make our govt look pretty bad after going to the trouble of minting it for us.

Ahhh, it happened with gold already, why not silver?

Admittedly, I did not think about how many people have silver....but that doesn't mean it won't become a prized form of exchange, does it? And, if the Govt. is in shambles with bigger fish to fry, and if enough people are using silver, what are they going to do about it?

I have also convinced one person to hold physical silver to the tune of 250 oz., and given my cousin's 1YO daughter a couple ounces, so I have added to the ranks.....I personally added myself to the ranks when I bacame aware in March of 2006 when the price went up, so there are people out there willing to get with the program........

Skid
18th May 2008, 20:47
Ahhh, it happened with gold already, why not silver?

Admittedly, I did not think about how many people have silver....but that doesn't mean it won't become a prized form of exchange, does it? And, if the Govt. is in shambles with bigger fish to fry, and if enough people are using silver, what are they going to do about it?

I have also convinced one person to hold physical silver to the tune of 250 oz., and given my cousin's 1YO daughter a couple ounces, so I have added to the ranks.....I personally added myself to the ranks when I bacame aware in March of 2006 when the price went up, so there are people out there willing to get with the program........

Back when that thieving roosevelt stole the gold, gold was money, now not so much. When I was a kid we still had silver money. I think $800 gold and $50 silver in the early 1980's stuck as lesson with the sheeples. (Gold and silver = bad money) I remember people jsp buying $800 gold and thought that's stupid! A person I worked for lost 70k in the silver futures market, back then you could be a real nice house for that sum.

I am glad you have been able to spread the word. I started buying a little silver here and there in 2000. Amazing how it can add up. When you see jsp buying you'll know we are reaching a top. That's when I take enough profit to pay off my mortgage!

hiyosilver
19th May 2008, 03:32
Ok, I'll put it a different way. If silver does what I think it's going to do because of it's importance in today's world, it's going to make a few previously unheard of people very powerful voices financially, if not politically. This could be a very dangerous thing for ANY government, especially a failing one. To think that that government is going to sit back and not try to control the situation doesn't make sense.

Trvlr45
19th May 2008, 04:13
In my area nobody charges tax on bullion or anything so its cash and carry just the same. Either way I'm sure you could easily just bury or hide the stuff. There are no silver sniffing dogs so thats a plus. But I think if the government is stealing our property then we have another issue entirely. At that point we aren't talking about what the smartest financial decisions are to support your family, but what are the best ways to try and hide your scraps from a vicious and very real enemy. If it was illegal to own silver then trying to sell it would be like you are drug dealing. Only bold individuals would deal in PM's at that point, not the common businesses obviously. So why not make big money in drugs now rather than try to do essentially the same act with silver if they illegalize it? Seems like the same thing...just some thoughts I'm throwing out.

Hello Silverwhore,

Drug dealing would be a good idea but our own government because of the Bush/Clinton Crime Cartel pretty much have had that sewn up since the eighties. That's why you see the drug busts you see. They are getting rid of the competition. I won't go into whare I got this info. It would take too long but it has been publicised over the years it's just that no one wants to believe it. The rest are just for show to make people think there really is a war on drugs. I think it best to stay away from the drug market and stick with PM's. I think it would be more difficult to make every one believe you are public enemy #1 for owning some Kennedy halves.

Trvlr45
19th May 2008, 04:18

Yep, that is prcisely my thought. They would basically have to shut down the mint. I don't see that happening anytime in the near or even distant future.

buggles
19th May 2008, 07:29
If we're comparing the future legality of silver with that of various drugs then you can bet your ass that the gov is 100% capable of making illegal that which it previously manufactured for public consumption.

Skid
19th May 2008, 09:42
The govt previously manufactured illegal drugs for public consumption?

I missed that, although I know govt drug dealing has gone on for a very long time. You didn't think the East Indies Trading Co was just trading spices like your history books said did you?

Face it, if the govt wants to confiscate your wealth the asset forfeiture laws
are already in place.

Drumblebum
19th May 2008, 10:35
are already in place.

Hell, they already use tax audits... why send rebate checks out to stimulate the economy if you're just going to try to get it back with tax audits?? Proves to me (as if I needed proof) that the whole thing is a scam...

And, yes, I am currently being audited and yes, they will likely get money out of me.:mad:

SilverWhore
19th May 2008, 11:39
Hello Silverwhore,

Drug dealing would be a good idea but our own government because of the Bush/Clinton Crime Cartel pretty much have had that sewn up since the eighties. That's why you see the drug busts you see. They are getting rid of the competition. I won't go into whare I got this info. It would take too long but it has been publicised over the years it's just that no one wants to believe it. The rest are just for show to make people think there really is a war on drugs. I think it best to stay away from the drug market and stick with PM's. I think it would be more difficult to make every one believe you are public enemy #1 for owning some Kennedy halves.

Yeah, in fact it is said that the government ships in the very drugs that they bust the kids with. At the very least we can vouch that they readily let them through at the border. Bill Clinton's primary gig was drug dealing during his administration and you can catch a good glimpse of that in the film "The Clinton Chronicles." Unfortunatly it appears that the full version of the movie was taken off of Google Video but it is in eleven 10 minute sections on youtube if you want to watch it for free. I think making silver illegal will not make silver itself seem like a bad substance to the public but at the same time everyone has gone along with every other rediculous law legislated so far so nothing is out of the question.

The govt previously manufactured illegal drugs for public consumption?

I missed that, although I know govt drug dealing has gone on for a very long time. You didn't think the East Indies Trading Co was just trading spices like your history books said did you?

are already in place.

Yeah, the govt. never manufactured drugs for the public that I am aware of but we all know they were readily available in stores before the "prohibition." In fact in countries where they still are available legally, there is much less of a problem with drugs. The moral fabric of society is what will stop drug abuse, not bashing peoples heads in and performing illegal search and seizures. I also agree with you that the legislation is already there. This country's law books are rife with ghost laws just sitting there dormant until they will all be awakened and unleashed on the public when the time is right.

buggles
19th May 2008, 14:16
MDMA was manufactured by the government and studies of its effects were allowed in university psych settings.

LSD was manufactured by the government and studies of its effects were allowed in university psych settings.

Alpha Methoxy Tryptamine was manufactured by the government and studies of its effects were allowed in dietary laboratories and then the sale to the general public was permitted.

All of the above are now illegal substances. Those are the ones I happen to know for sure about, I'm sure the list is actually much longer.

Trvlr45
19th May 2008, 14:25
Hell, they already use tax audits... why send rebate checks out to stimulate the economy if you're just going to try to get it back with tax audits?? Proves to me (as if I needed proof) that the whole thing is a scam...

And, yes, I am currently being audited and yes, they will likely get money out of me.:mad:

They just audited me, too. Soaked me for $1800 and now they think I should be happy about a $600 rebate check which I may never see anyway.

Can you believe they actually had the audacity to send me a letter in the mail saying to make copies of all me receipts for 2004 and mail them to Cincinatti, OH so they could audit me?

I called the Nazi that sent the letter and gave her an earful. She was on the verge of tears by the time I got off the phone with her. I told her she wasn't getting her own personal copy of anything. That that was a violation of my 4th ammendment rights and my right to counsel.

I told her that what they were going to do is send an auditor out to meet with the accountant of my choice and that's what they did.

I also had to correct her on the I OWE terminology they love to use. I told her I don't owe anything and that she should look up USA vs. Cryer if she didn't believe me since the Gestapo just lost in court in LA.

It's all based on fear and intimidation with no law anywhere in sight to back up what they do. It's a shame I can't afford a $15,000 lawyer or I would have taken them to court for fraud and extortion.

Unfortunately, that is what they count on and if you do have the money the judge witholds evidence from the jury and rigs the proceedings in favor of the IRS.

Trvlr45
19th May 2008, 14:36
Yeah, in fact it is said that the government ships in the very drugs that they bust the kids with. At the very least we can vouch that they readily let them through at the border. Bill Clinton's primary gig was drug dealing during his administration and you can catch a good glimpse of that in the film "The Clinton Chronicles." Unfortunatly it appears that the full version of the movie was taken off of Google Video but it is in eleven 10 minute sections on youtube if you want to watch it for free. I think making silver illegal will not make silver itself seem like a bad substance to the public but at the same time everyone has gone along with every other rediculous law legislated so far so nothing is out of the question.

Yep, the Clinton Chronicles is one source. I downloaded "The history of the Clintons off the internet and although it mostly focuses on the Clintons Bush senior is mention in there a couple of times. IMO he handled all the drug biz outside the states and his adopted son Willie did all the dirty work in the states as far as distibuting it. Arkansas was the way point for 80% of all the coke coming into the country through the eighties and that isn't all they were into. Stealing from the HUD fund was another one of their favorite activities.

I find it halarious that everywhere you see Bush senior these days Willie is nearby and they want us to think it's because of a tidal wave or hurricane Katrina. Barbara Bush was quoted as saying, "Bill is just like one of the family". No Kidding? With around 70 Arkancides under his belt you can bet he earned his keep taking care of all the witnesses when his face wasn't buried in an ounce of columbias finest. Jeez, we had Scarace for a president for eight years unfortunately his boss liked the job he did and never sent anyone to do away with him.

LETMYSILVERGO
19th May 2008, 16:31
Oh Man, that was soooo funny. I'm buying safe's at wal-mart, { the evil empire }, and smuggling my silver out of the banks lock boxes & bolting said safes to the basement floor. Got to see if Ebay is selling any G-Man alarm
systems.

Richard
19th May 2008, 21:03
I think making silver illegal will not make silver itself seem like a bad substance to the public but at the same time everyone has gone along with every other rediculous law legislated so far so nothing is out of the question.

I agree, in that and all people will need to be told is that silver caused X. It caused phenominal gas prices, it straved people in the third world... And then anyone with silver will be viewed as a big greedy mwuhahaha! bastard. Here in this forum and in the articles of those who write about silver's truth... but outside that, many people still don't give a damn to learn about and explore real wealth! STILL! No, just say the word wealth and POOF you're automaticaly the worst kind of Satan than even ten Satan's can be! They actually think gold and greed causes wars and shortages... Much like a gang in their neighborhood, you'd either be seriously mislead or just plain evil!

Maybe I exaggerate but not by much, I think. I don't get very far in talking to people about silver and pm and economics in general as it were. I mean, they WILL listen but sooner or later either apathy or hostility to the idea emerges. They just don't want to think about it, don't want to think about wealth because a lot of people think something is inherently corrupt about wealth or something.

But that's assuming they will seize/illegalize. In the short term, I don't think so. Long term... Again I say, it would all depend but
I really don't think they can or at least get away with much in the way of violent seizure; silver would have to be pretty short, much shorter in supply imo, before it became worth the kind of effort they would need to exert. More likely, they will likely have a public campaign to recycle silver and replace it with an alternative wherever it could. Anyone using solder, for example, while they wouldn't likely lose out using it would probably have to be licensed to own it. Any silver wiring in a consumer electronic gizzmo would have to be turned in, with the exchanged thing being the compensation while bullion would be allowed to run high spot to entice it out of people's hands in the face of growing hyper-inflation.

All for our own good, of course :rolleyes: so anyone hoarding would likely be looked down upon as a public villian more oft than not, especially as the shortage continued and the increasing lack of products of silver consumption made things more expensive yet.

People are like that. They want to be like that. People love a straw-man that acts as an easy explaination and is easily dealt with without having to consult morality. Afterall, if they think greed shorted silver supply and shorted silver supply is starving kids in Africa or someplace, it's easier to bypass reason and morality.

Of course, that's assuming things are allowed to get that bad. I honestly have no idea if it will or won't. All fiat systems fail at some point, so it could turn out that it goes out with a wimper, not a bang.

I can say now that I would hold on and not give up my silver for paper, but who knows what future contiditions will force us us to do if comes down to that?

So these questions to everyone here... what would you do? At what point would you surrendur if it came down to a game of attrition? How would you continue to keep a low-profile and keep aquiring silver without attracting much notice if it comes down to that and you decided to still hold and acquire in hopes that in your lifetime the oppression would end itself?

SilverWhore
19th May 2008, 21:53
So these questions to everyone here... what would you do? At what point would you surrendur if it came down to a game of attrition? How would you continue to keep a low-profile and keep aquiring silver without attracting much notice if it comes down to that and you decided to still hold and acquire in hopes that in your lifetime the oppression would end itself?

I'm not sure why anyone would be dead set on aquiring silver during the only REAL time you are going to seriously need it to buy with. If fiat currency is worthless then what would you buy more silver with if not with gold or an important commodity you would need more so than silver? If silver were illegal then I would think the best way to handle it is to try and sell or exchange as much excess as possible for things you need during such a depression scenario like food and the like. Personally, I think that PM's are a great thing to get into for another classic depression scenario, but when we get into talking about the government hounding us down for it and busting into our houses then whats the point? Grab your guns and fight the bastards if they haven't already taken them. Its like the government keeps narrowing the system in which we live and illegalizing this and that and we need permission to build something on our own land or even go fishing. It reaks of fuedalism and the dark ages.

So in this hypothetical scenario of "no silver allowed" we should be thinking about ways of taking back the system and getting our damn lives back instead of how we can possibly sweep aside enough scraps that fall through the cracks of Uncle Sam's fingers. I know that sounds hollywood to so many people now but its what has to happen and what did happen so many times in history including at the birth of this very nation. Unfortunatly now our government has insane tools at their disposal including sound and frequency weapons that we can't even see or hear that can totally **** us up or kill us. That is aside from all of the other bio-chemical and WMD's they have so its quite different from any time in history. Soon enough it won't be a matter of power in numbers where a traditional revolt can change everything. Once the elites have all the pieces in place it will be like shooting fish in a barrel. There could be millions of us armed with small arms and it wouldn't make a difference to them and the type of weapons and technology they have. I appologize for totally getting away from talking about silver and into this depressing doomsday scenario but it IS all related....

Holidaysilver
19th May 2008, 22:43
Hold some silver for the bad times.

1. Learn to make jewelry. or get to know a jeweler. I don't think the rich will give up their Jewelry. There will always be a black market for it.

2. In a world where everything has gone to crap, clean water will be precious. If you have silver you can purify water. What will you take for your product?

3. Learn how to use your silver as medicine. Who will not protect you if you have the skill to heal everything from burns to Bird Flu? Educate yourself about the uses for Medicinal silver. And don't be fooled by "Nano Particles" By definition, a "Nano" is a billionth of anything. How many billionths of silver can be worn off a silver round by sucking on it? Silver plated spoons would release even more Nanos.

4. Money. Because silver has so many uses, it will be valuable to anyone who is aware of it's uses. This means you can trade it for anything you wish. Just do it quietly and privately.

hiyosilver
19th May 2008, 23:09
I've been educating myself more and more on the principals that holidaysilver mentioned involving medicinal and purification properties. I've also decided that if I might be hanged for "hoarding" silver, then I would disperse it to as many people as possible so that some lives might be saved. That is if they don't get me first...and no, I'm not going to give it to you guys..:D.. It would be those that don't have any that will need it...With that thought, I was reminded of a quote from the #1 bestselling book in the world:

"They shall cast their silver in the streets, and their gold shall be removed: their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the LORD: they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels: because it is the stumblingblock of their iniquity."

Richard
20th May 2008, 15:53
I'm not sure why anyone would be dead set on aquiring silver during the only REAL time you are going to seriously need it to buy with. If fiat currency is worthless then what would you buy more silver with if not with gold or an important commodity you would need more so than silver?

You answered your own question in asking it, I think. Trade. Circulate it. To speak of a buyer of other things is to speak of a seller seeking silver or gold, even if the discussion is hypothetical. Thus why wouldn't people be deadset on getting it ;-)

And all that pretty much spells out what we would have to do if/when such a thing to occurr... Ownership and circulation would have to be protected.

But here's what occurred to me as I writing a response:

Let them have most of it. Why? Because they would be doing so not for the reasons that FDR seized gold. They would be after silver for industrial consumption, to maintain our way of life, once the shortage became so bad. So giving it to them if they demanded it would only drive the gold/silver ratio further together and then further apart to favor silver. And then you could just switch into gold if you haven't already, and perhaps fund mining for more silver. Someone or some party will probably do this. The authorities will be THERE and after the metal to ensure supply, not after YOU. And by then, the silver supply will be so low that it won't be worth the effort to hunt it down. You probably won't even have to hide it then, except from common theives; you'd be able to do business in the open, ie.

So, protect your silver by making it too small to find! If it's done by guns, people will be turned off, especially when it's not their silver and at such a time a seizure took place, they would probably give the government moral sanction more than just one person fighting to hoard it. Like I might have said in the other post, they probably will make it out to be like Scrooge is causing all the problems.

But like I said, this would only make what you DO hold on to all the more valuable, so... Is confiscation anything to worry about or it is really a blessing in disguise?

Skid
21st May 2008, 08:51
It sure would be ironic, since the US govt worked long and hard starting around 1945, to sell-off the worlds largest-ever silver stockpile. The selling went on for nearly 60 years until the well finally went dry. Volker was selling it at .94 per ounce.

A lot like Britian's Gordon Goldfinger Brown that sold off so much of their gold at 265 per ounce.

Richard
21st May 2008, 12:24
It sure would be ironic, since the US govt worked long and hard starting around 1945, to sell-off the worlds largest-ever silver stockpile. The selling went on for nearly 60 years until the well finally went dry. Volker was selling it at .94 per ounce.

A lot like Britian's Gordon Goldfinger Brown that sold off so much of their gold at 265 per ounce.

Sort of reminds me of Star Wars, just before Darth Vader struck one down what's his name... "You can strike me down but I will only become more powerful!" Or something like that... :D

I think I've found my strategy in dealing with that possibility. At some point, when the ratio is more corrected I will switch into gold and keep only a bit of silver.

CitizenPete
25th May 2008, 22:44
When I started my "coin collection" I had no idea what I was doing. I never carry a lot of cash so I was buying junk with my check card or using my credit card when I found a large collection of 90% at a pawn shop for a reasonable price. STUPID! Then later (still not knowing what I was doing), I placed a large order from Monex and used a wire transfer from my account (all wire transfers go through the Federal Reserve). STUPID!
Of course later when I unloaded a bunch of Platinum and Gold in order to load up on silver I traded it with APMEX. So every purchase was tracked but the sales (or trades) were not.
If there is ever is a SHTF/confiscation scenario, I hope my family (and I) are not home for the "AR-15 ding dong" at the door, cause I'm not certain I could get myself to direct someone to the location of my stash (even if they were armed and dangerous and just doing their job).
I would suggest spreading a large stash around a bit -- and as stupid as it sounds -- if you, or family members own land -- well, let's just say you might want to get imaginative as to where to hide your stash. NEVER NEVER would I consider a safe deposit box in a bank to be a "safe" place for PM.
Please tell me -- Am I confused or paranoid here. :confused:

hiyosilver
26th May 2008, 00:11
Am I confused or paranoid here.

Neither, you're learning from your mistakes, and looking for a solution. That's what humans should do. The trouble is, alot of people don't. Then, ..... that is just plain stupid....and history repeats itself as it has for centuries.

one thought, a plot of land in another person's name , perhaps. The government has metal detectors that work very well...............which brings up another problem....where do you hide the map? :D

Richard
26th May 2008, 00:30
The government has metal detectors that work very well...............which brings up another problem....where do you hide the map? :D

Just wondering... would wrapping silver in foil give a reading as just the aluminum or as both? As for hiding the map... IF I did that, I would re-draw the map every month or so and throw it away in order to commit it to memory. If it can't be safe in your head, then neither would the map's location outside of it.

hiyosilver
26th May 2008, 00:41
I'm not likely to forget where I put it...:D.....but if I lose my head, where does that leave my family? I already have worked out all the details, but I don't wish to disclose all of it publicly.

One hint: PVC

hekura
27th May 2008, 12:53
I have purchased a few items in the last months, in order to (wisely, in my opinion) convert "e"-cash and paper into hard assets...more than usual. I like to do BOTH Au and Ag, in order to occasionally cash out on ratio swings...but nevertheless, there were a few ounces lying around...87 to be exact. One of my son's friends, (God bless the lil' guy) managed to convince my son to give him a box of 20 Eagles in exchange for some assorted stuff...video games (Playstation DS? etc.), a Zune, bike parts, a REALLY cool pocket knife, whatever. My son is hardly stupid, and can use a calculator...so I imagine all of this stuff held a "relatively" similar worth to 20 X 17, in dollars. In any case, discovery of the missing eagles occurred, and valiant efforts at disinformation were observed, etc. I didn't sweat it, though, and just let it go...while I spent an hour the next morning at the coin shop. The dealer there is a pretty close friend of a few years, and I got talked into a couple of Krugerrands, while I explained my dilemma. I was assured that it would be no problem for my friend to keep an eye out. I paid for the Krug's, and made a couple other stops...and went home.

When I got home, I already had a message on the phone informing me that they were probably found, and did I want to pursue getting them back. I called, and was told that a similar item turned up at a local pawn shop, the dealer of which was a "friend" of my "friend". I said ..."well, yes, of course."

OMG

...around 1830, two uniformed officers arrived at the house. There was a 20 y.o. in custody, in the back seat of their cruiser, and I was informed of the situation. There was, apparently, another cruiser at that moment in front of the "juvenile's" house, and the "juvenile" had admitted to the theft...15 eagles were in possession of the PD at the kid's house...5 of them had been entered into evidence at the pawn shop...the young man in custody had been charged with "selling stolen goods"...action awaiting my decision included the kid, and, of course, my son...including "burglary" "theft > $500 (the cops seemed to be trying to figure out how to learn the world market in an hour)" "conspiracy to fraud" "world domination" "etc."

I took all this in, and then managed to negotiate a "no harm-no foul" solution to the problem. I called and talked to the other kid's father, and persuaded him to pay the pawnbroker, refused to press charges on the kid, hence the 20 y.o., hence my son...managed to get all 20 oz back together...had to release them to PD custody for a few days...and wrapped-up the day at about 2230.

...of course, my son's s***-storm began about then, and the following week involved a HUGE paper-trail, returning my oz home.

...my point?

...there are few enough people involved with Ag to make something like this HUGE...and the network is tiny and very well informed. If ANYTHING changed the status of privately held Ag...there would be tremendous pressure. Your coin dealer would be like your priest/lawyer/psychiatrist, and if you are trying to negotiate exchange outside of your established circles...IT WILL BE KNOWN! This experience definitely raised my opinion of 90%, as "under the radar" useful for basic exchange issues. Think about it.

J

CitizenPete
28th May 2008, 01:39
wow great story. reminded me to pick up a bit around the house.:D

I don't think tracing items at pawn shops is limited to Ag -- a buddy of mine had a similar experience with golf clubs gone missing from his garage. back in 48 hours (via a pawn shop) and his police report.

SilverHawk
1st June 2008, 19:30
Silver? what Silver? I ain't got no silver?
Who told you I got Silver?
I'd like to have silver.....
But I don't.....

Shhhhhhhh....

Keep it in the "vault" as Seinfeld would say :)

argentos
18th June 2008, 12:22

He must have had a brainstorm. Brits are still moaning about that gold sale as well as his wrecking of pension schemes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article1655001.ece

The decision to auction the gold rather than sell it quietly on the global markets also surprised many experts. Other central banks, including those of Switzerland and Australia, have chosen to use the normal markets to sell gold and only announce the details of the sales afterwards. By contrast, from the announcement of the British sell-off in May to the first auction in July, the gold price dropped by 10%.
The number of traders “shorting” — using financial instruments to bet on the price of gold falling — went up eightfold in the weeks preceding the first auction.
“The joke in the market was that Gordon had guaranteed he would get the worst price,” said the former gold dealer Dominic Hall.

chux03
18th June 2008, 16:44
I read recently somewhere that even when FDR confiscated gold back in the early 1930's all they could get was what people had kept in their "safe deposit" boxes that were in banks and thrifts. They never kicked any doors in nor did they go after anyone in particular (according to this article) ever confiscating anyone's gold. All totaled, they "confiscated" less than 20% from what I remember reading. Seems like they don't do to well in these kinds of activities. Whether it's gold or guns or something else, once the dollar fails (and it's going to) all the King's men won't be getting paid so I'm predicting a vast up-spike in UN-employment. And as a result, it'll wind up being a non-issue. I'd worry more about some meth-head ripping me off than the government trying to confiscate my precious metal sometime down the road. When the poo-poo hits the fan, they'll both be too busy to worry about what I (may or may not) have tho I do own some "(hot) lead applicators" should some doper like to try something. If all else fails, the silver and gold will be buried right next to those proverbial hot lead applicators just mentioned. They will NEVER get my stuff. Mother Earth keeps good secrets...

clr8ter
18th June 2008, 18:13
I'd worry more about some meth-head ripping me off than the government trying to confiscate my precious metal sometime down the road.

Hmmmmm, good point.

hiyosilver
18th June 2008, 22:46
I'd worry more about some meth-head ripping me off than the government trying to confiscate my precious metal sometime down the road.

Oh, do you mean like those scrawny guys with their eyes sunk in their heads, who come into the local coin shop selling stuff they don't even know what it is? :rolleyes:

Yes, that's a very real threat presently, but I do believe there is coming a day when desperate people will join in riotous gangs to ransack houses just for something to eat. I also believe (like Jason Hommel) that some time in the future, not only will gold and silver be confiscated, but anyone caught holding it will be executed...

Trvlr45
27th June 2008, 00:07
As far as burying anything goes. If they have an idea where to look they can find anything with ground penetrating radar. If they really want it, they will find it. Equisearch who was tasked with trying to find Natalie Holloway has been around a looong time. They can find dead bodies that have been buried for 20 years.

They aren't the only organization that has that ability or the equipment. I'm sure the FBI and Secret Service have equipment far more sensitive than what Equisearch can afford. Burying anything near where you live or at anyone's house who can be connected to you isn't a good idea. If they really want it they will find it. They can probably tell how many ounces are there before they even dig it uo.