PDA

View Full Version : Testing PM's

wareaglesilver
22nd November 2009, 08:13
Does anyone know of the most economical means of testing both gold and silver for their respective legitimacy. I have both and would like to reassure myself that what think I have is what I have. Where is the best place to buy whatever I need?

wareaglesilver
22nd November 2009, 08:30
I am a new poster, but have been reading the forums here for awhile. Like everyone else here, just trying to have myself fully protected(as much as possible) when the **** hits the fan...

wareaglesilver
22nd November 2009, 08:34
Thanks SueZ, I feel like I am good because I have bought broadly known products from reliable outfits, but it would ease any lingering doubts...

wareaglesilver
22nd November 2009, 09:06
Thanks for info SueZ. Deleted above post.

Longhaul
22nd November 2009, 09:15
This one looks like a dandy, http://www.scales-n-tools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=94&zenid=hjh8jnpnq1cgp1k3ts4jvl14u3

Thanks Sue-z for the heads up on the commonness of fools gold and sharing your knowledge, it'll most likely save somebody's a$$ in here if not many.

Got to pay to play, I doubt anyone in here would buy a $18,000 car or something of equal value without getting it checked out first to rule out buying a lemon. Sue-z is right, as the price escalates, so will the potential for crime.

Wouldn't it suck to wake up one day and find out that all your proper planning in PMs hoarding went belly up because you bought some fake stuff.

Funny thing is, someday folks will wake up to find out that very same feeling with today's USD FRNs.......maybe someone should come up with a tester kit for the FRN:roll: LOL!

Silvature
22nd November 2009, 11:58
This one looks like a dandy, http://www.scales-n-tools.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10&products_id=94&zenid=hjh8jnpnq1cgp1k3ts4jvl14u3

Thanks Sue-z for the heads up on the commonness of fools gold and sharing your knowledge, it'll most likely save somebody's a$$ in here if not many.

Got to pay to play, I doubt anyone in here would buy a $18,000 car or something of equal value without getting it checked out first to rule out buying a lemon. Sue-z is right, as the price escalates, so will the potential for crime.

Wouldn't it suck to wake up one day and find out that all your proper planning in PMs hoarding went belly up because you bought some fake stuff.

Funny thing is, someday folks will wake up to find out that very same feeling with today's USD FRNs.......maybe someone should come up with a tester kit for the FRN:roll: LOL!

Ebay for $154, free shipping

argent_pur
22nd November 2009, 16:19
I read Mike Maloney's book on gold and silver and he said 99% of all counterfeits are numismatics...not sure if this is statistically accurate or hyperbole, but...it strengthened my resolve to stay away from slabbed coins. I would imagine that a good, gram-sensitive scale would be enough to detect most fakes.

argent_pur
22nd November 2009, 16:25
If you stick to purchasing well-known rounds and bars, really study them to be sure of their dimensions, you should be alright. Unless the fakes are spot on, chances are either they will be underweight if the dimensions are correct, or they'll be the correct weight, but the dimensions will be off. Also get familiar with the color, because less scrupulous counterfeiters will probably not get the coloring exactly right.

Argyria
23rd November 2009, 03:25

There already is one. It's called a 'match'. Hold flame up to the FRN in question. If it catches fire and burns, its not real money.