PDA

View Full Version : How many 2008 w burnish coins

mick silver
13th May 2008, 00:57
How many 2008 w burnished coin was minted by the mint , Also how many are error coins

JesterJay
13th May 2008, 16:56
Error?
What error? They weren't supposed to be burnished?
Jay

How many 2008 w burnished coin was mineted by the mint , Also how many are error coins

mick silver
13th May 2008, 19:02
there were some of the burnished 2008 w that were error coin, ive seen them on tv for 599.00 for ncg 70

JesterJay
14th May 2008, 16:35
And what is the claimed error and why would a mistake (a bad thing) be worth more?
You never know for sure but, the correct version may be MORE rare than the so-called error.
JesterJay

there were some of the burnished 2008 w that were error coin, ive seen them on tv for 599.00 for ncg 70

tekhen
16th May 2008, 06:08
the mistake was the reverse was stamped with the reverse of the 2007 ASE.

There were slight font changes between 07 and 08. So you have an 08 obverse and 07 reverse. (a few font changes... the tilda and the U in United)

I'm not sure of the mintage as of yet. All I know is mine isnt the error:(

JesterJay
17th May 2008, 00:03
I see we are talking about a very slight variation.
What is the BIG DEAL on that?
Why would it (the perceived error) be worth ANYTHING more than the "correct" version???
I understand variation rarity in numismatic coins and have had some rare pieces (like 1893 CC Morgan dollar, 1890 tailbar CC Morgan, etc.) but have sold those to buy the real deal: SILVER BULLION!
Perceived Added value for a "rarity" in minting is dubious in the case of bullion. How do you know just how RARE it is and WHY would it be MORE desirable to have this variation?
JesterJay

the mistake was the reverse was stamped with the reverse of the 2007 ASE.

There were slight font changes between 07 and 08. So you have an 08 obverse and 07 reverse. (a few font changes... the tilda and the U in United)

I'm not sure of the mintage as of yet. All I know is mine isnt the error:(

tekhen
17th May 2008, 15:36
in the case of the errors...bullion/clad etc. falls into numismatic. There is a 'collector' premium for errors.

As for mintage, I'm not sure if anyone will ever know but the fact remains there is a market for error coins

JesterJay
17th May 2008, 23:24
I am not too interested in numismaticizing bullion.
The collector premium is still dubious. Especially with your admission that you don't know the mintage, therefore having no idea of the RARITY of the ERROR or variation. There may be MORE of the "error" and far less of the "correct" variation. THAT would make the error a FALSE-RARITY. I have seen it in other collectibles. "This years" collectors item with "last years" style of handle, decals, backplate, interior color, or whatever may apply.
NOT worth more, just more hype. And the resultant rush of everyone to the HOT item of the moment. Soon everyone HAS what everyone's GOT TO HAVE. And then it is not worth any more than the standard version.
Kind of like the premium for the 1996 Silver American Eagle. It goes for about twice what any other SAE goes for yet is only slightly rarer than 2 or 3 other issue dates. Mostly hype for the premium. The facts do not support the perceived VALUE of the item.
Great that there is a market for the variation. But is there VALUE in that "error"? Rarity alone doesn't make it worth more. It has to actually be of some greater value to be worth paying it. Before paying for the error ask yourself, "Why should anyone pay more for this?". Gee, I can't think of why one should, either.
Beware what you "BUY" into,
JesterJay

in the case of the errors...bullion/clad etc. falls into numismatic. There is a 'collector' premium for errors.

As for mintage, I'm not sure if anyone will ever know but the fact remains there is a market for error coins

tekhen
18th May 2008, 10:56
I personally would not purchase an error coin. Now, if the '08-W' I purchased from the mint had been an error coin I would have made a x10 profit if I chose to sell.

I also agree in terms of the mintage.. at the best it is a guess by the mint. The mintage will have to work its way through the market.

I talked to my local dealer and he stated that the price of newly minted error coins i.e. the eagle and pres. dollars have an inflated premium in the beginning and that it would be best to wait if you want to purchase.

JesterJay
18th May 2008, 23:37
IF I had one of the "error coins", I would SELL IT too!
JesterJay

I personally would not purchase an error coin. Now, if the '08-W' I purchased from the mint had been an error coin I would have made a x10 profit if I chose to sell.

I also agree in terms of the mintage.. at the best it is a guess by the mint. The mintage will have to work its way through the market.

I talked to my local dealer and he stated that the price of newly minted error coins i.e. the eagle and pres. dollars have an inflated premium in the beginning and that it would be best to wait if you want to purchase.

Trvlr45
19th May 2008, 04:31
I am not too interested in numismaticizing bullion.
The collector premium is still dubious. Especially with your admission that you don't know the mintage, therefore having no idea of the RARITY of the ERROR or variation. There may be MORE of the "error" and far less of the "correct" variation. THAT would make the error a FALSE-RARITY. I have seen it in other collectibles. "This years" collectors item with "last years" style of handle, decals, backplate, interior color, or whatever may apply.
NOT worth more, just more hype. And the resultant rush of everyone to the HOT item of the moment. Soon everyone HAS what everyone's GOT TO HAVE. And then it is not worth any more than the standard version.
Kind of like the premium for the 1996 Silver American Eagle. It goes for about twice what any other SAE goes for yet is only slightly rarer than 2 or 3 other issue dates. Mostly hype for the premium. The facts do not support the perceived VALUE of the item.
Great that there is a market for the variation. But is there VALUE in that "error"? Rarity alone doesn't make it worth more. It has to actually be of some greater value to be worth paying it. Before paying for the error ask yourself, "Why should anyone pay more for this?". Gee, I can't think of why one should, either.
Beware what you "BUY" into,
JesterJay

You ar absolutely right in what you say when it comes down to a common sense argument but the fact of the matter is that for decades people have paid big bucks for all kinds of things simply because they are different or rare.

30 years ago no one would have figured that you could sell a worn out 426 hemi engine for 10 grand but it came to pass. I heard recently that there is a shop in Californis that is paying $3000 for a bare 472/500 Cadillac engine block due to the very high intial build quality. Who would have ever thought that?! You can buy a whole Cadillac from that era for $500 out of a bone yard.

Coins are no different. Coins are no different. As the saying goes, "It's worth what someone will pay for it". I have bought some proof silver eagles for the very reason that i just have a hunch that someday the proof will be worth a hell of a lot of money once the price of silver goes to the moon and every scrap of silver is melted down. I just hope it happens before I die.

JesterJay
19th May 2008, 18:41
No arguement here.
I would take advantage of the HYPE if I found that I had one. But, I certainly would not chase one down and pay the price in hopes it goes UP even higher.
And that would be for WHAT reason? Just to have one and not something of greater value. Like a whole ROLL or so of Silver American Eagles!
JesterJay

You ar absolutely right in what you say when it comes down to a common sense argument but the fact of the matter is that for decades people have paid big bucks for all kinds of things simply because they are different or rare.

30 years ago no one would have figured that you could sell a worn out 426 hemi engine for 10 grand but it came to pass. I heard recently that there is a shop in Californis that is paying $3000 for a bare 472/500 Cadillac engine block due to the very high intial build quality. Who would have ever thought that?! You can buy a whole Cadillac from that era for $500 out of a bone yard.

Coins are no different. Coins are no different. As the saying goes, "It's worth what someone will pay for it". I have bought some proof silver eagles for the very reason that i just have a hunch that someday the proof will be worth a hell of a lot of money once the price of silver goes to the moon and every scrap of silver is melted down. I just hope it happens before I die.

Trvlr45
19th May 2008, 23:37
Hi Jester,

AHH, Hemi's, Cobra's and all the rest. Those were the days. I was too young to buy one then and not wealthy enough to buy one now however, I do own a 73 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with one of the 472's in it. People want to buy it all the time. I won't sell it even if what I heard about the worth of the bare block is true.

You are right about not going out and buying something that has gone up hoping it will go up even more. Not a smart move. Look at what is happening to the real estate market. Who intheir right mind could possibly think they should pay $500,000 for a $100,000 house and think it will go up even more?

A perfect case in point on your previous comments. Years ago I worked at a Corvette restoration shop. Some guy was trying to sell a '64 Coupe for some outrageous amount of money because it had no air, no power brakes, no nothing. A friend of my boss said, "Sure it's rare, but who wants it. It's like Syphillis!"

I've never invested in anything but I'm buying silver because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how undervalued it is. People not only need it but in the future everyone will probably be wanting it.

JesterJay
20th May 2008, 20:24
So you got a BOAT,
How long is that little 2 door? 25 feet?
Ha! I love the old cars. I like the foriegn stuff too, right after the Big American Muscle Icons. I have a soft spot (my wife says it is on my skull) for GERMAN sporty type cars. Porsche, BMW, Achtung BABY!
One of my favorites though, was my 1979 VW Scirocco. What a FUN car!!! I cried when a smart ankle kid blew through an intersection and totaled it for me.
And guess the color....
SILVER!
Some day I will have the money to get another, fully restored to original.
But I won't be buying that '64 with the rarest options of all, a whole bunch of NOTHING. Unless it is a real steal. A '64 Vette is the first Muscle Car on my want list.
Cars, silver, All the important stuff!
JesterJay

Hi Jester,

AHH, Hemi's, Cobra's and all the rest. Those were the days. I was too young to buy one then and not wealthy enough to buy one now however, I do own a 73 Cadillac Coupe DeVille with one of the 472's in it. People want to buy it all the time. I won't sell it even if what I heard about the worth of the bare block is true.

You are right about not going out and buying something that has gone up hoping it will go up even more. Not a smart move. Look at what is happening to the real estate market. Who intheir right mind could possibly think they should pay $500,000 for a $100,000 house and think it will go up even more?

A perfect case in point on your previous comments. Years ago I worked at a Corvette restoration shop. Some guy was trying to sell a '64 Coupe for some outrageous amount of money because it had no air, no power brakes, no nothing. A friend of my boss said, "Sure it's rare, but who wants it. It's like Syphillis!"

I've never invested in anything but I'm buying silver because it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out how undervalued it is. People not only need it but in the future everyone will probably be wanting it.

waynetheking
20th May 2008, 21:59
HSN got stuck with these error egales and there the ones hyping them!!

Trvlr45
21st May 2008, 18:11
So you got a BOAT,
How long is that little 2 door? 25 feet?
Ha! I love the old cars. I like the foriegn stuff too, right after the Big American Muscle Icons. I have a soft spot (my wife says it is on my skull) for GERMAN sporty type cars. Porsche, BMW, Achtung BABY!
One of my favorites though, was my 1979 VW Scirocco. What a FUN car!!! I cried when a smart ankle kid blew through an intersection and totaled it for me.
And guess the color....
SILVER!
Some day I will have the money to get another, fully restored to original.
But I won't be buying that '64 with the rarest options of all, a whole bunch of NOTHING. Unless it is a real steal. A '64 Vette is the first Muscle Car on my want list.
Cars, silver, All the important stuff!
JesterJay

Hi Jester,

Yep, I have a boat. It's 19'6" long, 6 feet wide and wieghs right around 4800 lbs. I have recently found out that the carbon emissions we are putting out not only do nothing to hurt the environment but are good for it. it makes the plants grow. there is a direct correlation between the amount of carbon emissions and the amount of natural, not grown by us, foiliage.

I have always tested the fuel mileage on long trips with about 500lbs of stuff in the trunk and I get an incredible 12.7mpg at a safe speed of 80mph. Much slower than that and it becomes unsafe. You just get bored and fall asleep.

I just put a new original quadrejet carb back on it so the mileage will probably go up which is a shame. I will do less for the environment. I may have to richen it up a bit. 31,000 scientists, meteorologists, doctors and dentists just signed a petition stating that the climate change farce is just wa way to tax and destroy, cause starvation and enslave the people on the entire planet. Finally, the masses are waking up and aren't afraid to speak the truth.

As for why medical doctors and dentists would join the majority of meteorologists and climatologists in getting the truth out all you have to do is spend some time and look up all the things the people who truly do use less than 10% of their brains have blamed on global warming. Glenn Beck read off only about 50 of them on his program about a month ago. We need more mental hospitals, believe me. From an increase in teenage drinking and acne to crcodiles changing their sex it's all there.

You're right about those German machines though. They are the best. No one engineers anything like the Germans. It is that simple. However, the old American muscle cars and big boats are just plain cool even if they are crude.

I have to differ with you on the best Vette though. The 1967 427 tri-power is it as far as the old Vettes go. By that time they had worked all of the bugs out of that body style and they had some serious power.. The 68's were pure junk. They had ever creak, rattle and squeak you could imagine. For that bodystyle though, the '72's were the best.

Jeez, I'm getting carried away. This is a silver forum after all. Give me credit though. The climate change hoax has alot to do with the price of silver considering OPEC is starving the planet for oil, causing food riots and starvation and the green weenies over here won't let us use our own natural resources to compete on the global oil market forcing us to do biz with the #1 terrorist sponsoring country in the world, Saudi Arabia. THAT is one of the biggest threats to our economy and economies around the world and it is only a matter of time 'til the markets fall one by one and people recognize silver as an affordable invstment.

It's a shame. Because of work I'm doing to my Caddy I have to stop buying silver for about three months. I'm also getting ready to change jobs. I had my eye on 40 more Engelhard rounds but I have far more urgent things to tend to. I have to prepare for the food riots that are coming here eventually.

Drumblebum
21st May 2008, 22:22
Trvlr45:

It may be a bit off topic, as you admitted, but a refreshing post about your Caddy. Used to own a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 myself. Wish I still had it!

I just have to point out one thing.... you said:

The climate change hoax has alot to do with the price of silver considering OPEC is starving the planet for oil, causing food riots and starvation and the green weenies over here won't let us use our own natural resources to compete on the global oil market forcing us to do biz with the #1 terrorist sponsoring country in the world, Saudi Arabia.

Israel holds the title of #1 terrorism sponsor, not Saudi Arabia. If we could stop doing "business" with them, we would be 100% better off.

Unfortunately, the US government is likely #2 as a result of this relationship.

NOW who's off topic!? :rolleyes:

Sorry... had to clarify that. The official story must DIE! Please pardon the interruption...:)

SilverWhore
21st May 2008, 23:31
Israel holds the title of #1 terrorism sponsor, not Saudi Arabia. If we could stop doing "business" with them, we would be 100% better off.

I second that.

Trvlr45
22nd May 2008, 17:26
Trvlr45:

It may be a bit off topic, as you admitted, but a refreshing post about your Caddy. Used to own a 1970 Chevelle SS 396 myself. Wish I still had it!

I just have to point out one thing.... you said:

The climate change hoax has alot to do with the price of silver considering OPEC is starving the planet for oil, causing food riots and starvation and the green weenies over here won't let us use our own natural resources to compete on the global oil market forcing us to do biz with the #1 terrorist sponsoring country in the world, Saudi Arabia.

Unfortunately, the US government is likely #2 as a result of this relationship.

NOW who's off topic!? :rolleyes:

Sorry... had to clarify that. The official story must DIE! Please pardon the interruption...:)

Oh Please,

Israel is not the worlds #1 terrorist country. Anything they do to defend themselves from the billions of Arabs that don't like them and want them dead is OK by me. Personally, I don't believe we should be over in the middle east or anywhere else on this planet sticking our nose in everyone's biussiness at all.

If our government did it's job by enforcing our borders and our imigration laws terrorists wouldn't be in this country to begin with. Our government let them in, our government let them learn how to fly planes, our government is still letting them in and our government won't let us use our own natural resources forcing us to be dependent on foriegn countries for our energy.

There is nothing wrong with the United States or our form of government. We are not the world's #2 terrorists. It is the Central Banking system and the Council on Foriegn Relations that rule this country. If it wasn't for the high level of stupidity and laziness in this country more people would have figured out by now that the President, Congress and the Senate DO NOT run this country. The majority of our government has been bought and paid for.

In addition to all this the increasing number of Gestapo raids on private American citizens here is on the rise. They send in the storm troopers to kick down your door, smash your furniture and ransack your house then say, "Oops! Sorry". Just another botched drug raid.

I'd be worried about what the "American" terrorists have in store for us rather than sticking up for the barbarians that want to kill every Israeli on the planet.

You may also want to keep in mind that the Federal Reserve Bank is not Federal, not a Reserve and is foriegn owned. They run everything not us and not our elected officials.

I don't know where this rumor about Israel ever got started. The international community gave them that land and ever since there has been a holy war. None of us know what is going on behind the scenes over there. The average American is clueless even to what is going on in their own country let alone everywhere else.

With all the lies, propaganda and dis-information they feed everyone through the main scream media whether it be fox or CNN no one can be sure who the real bad guy is. You have to search out the news on your own to really form any opinion and that takes a lot of time.

You may be surprised how terror and war free this planet would be if you started by sending troops into England to destroy the main root of the global central banking system. The Bank of England. England has had control of this country through the banking and monetary sytem since the inception of the United States. Their slimy central bank and the twelve Federal Reserve Banks over here as well as the United Nations in NY are who need a visit from our military as far as I'm concerned.

Saudi Arabia sucks. it is that simple. Those dirtbags are at the heart of OPEC and our high gas prices. The problem is, our own government lets them get away with it and this climate change hoax that too many have fallen for is one of the causes. And how do you think Saudi Arabia and 12 other countries are managing to bring our country to it's knees economically? The global central banking sytem. Give it a few more years and see what kind of straights we are in the remember what I just said. I could tell you a few personal stories concerning the Saudi's but there is no point. All I can say is that Israel is a far more civilized country.

You may want to read the book, "Energy Victory" by Robert Zubrin. I heard a two hour interview with him last night and it was riveting. It puts quite a bit into perspective and offers a common sense solution to our energy problems.

Just for the record, I'm not Jewish and I'm not religious at all either so I have no reason to stick up for Israel. I just don't think they are the evil doers some people say they are. Jeez, look at what they are surrounded by. I think you need to think about what goes on behind the scenes that none of us ever hear about because they don't want us to know.

If the people would stop falling for this "RIGHT" and "LEFT" BS political sytem we have and start looking at who really controls the country it would be easy to see that there is no diference between parties when it comes to the way they vote. None whatsoever. They both suck and they both are selling us down the river.

I never have understood the lefties hating Israel when Hollywood is 99% communist just like the left and 50% of Hollywood is Jewish. Hell there are more Jews in this country that hate guns than there are that don't and they were the ones exterminated by Hitler because they couldn't put up any resistance at all. Why? No flippin' hardware. Where has common sense and logic gone?

Last but not least, Chevelles were one of the best. Nice body lines with some nice big motors. I haven't sold my Caddy because everyone I have met that used to own one like mine said they were very sorry they sold it just as you are with your Chevelle.

Oh!! I almost forgot! Buy silver! It's going to go up in value real soon!