PDA

View Full Version : Question about gold bars...on a silver forum, I know...

Daveman
10th May 2008, 03:43
Hey guys, I have a question about gold bars, I don't know if members here would know anything about it, but I figure I'll ask anyway.

I'm thinking of taking delivery of about 50 oz. of gold bullion (I know, I know, I should've done that the day I bought it). My question is, because I'll be taking delivery in a bank located in a developing country, I'm not quite sure about the authenticity of they'll be giving me, despite the name etched onto the bars.

If they were to give me 10 oz bars of .999 pure gold bars, would those 10 oz bars, being .999 pure, be soft and malleable enough that if I were to bend them really hard, they would actually bend/break? I'm thinking of using this as the testing method when I'm taking delivery in the bank.

Thanks alot for the help.

clr8ter
10th May 2008, 08:35
Which developing country?

DaveK
11th May 2008, 18:13
If they were to give me 10 oz bars of .999 pure gold bars, would those 10 oz bars, being .999 pure, be soft and malleable enough that if I were to bend them really hard, they would actually bend/break? I'm thinking of using this as the testing method when I'm taking delivery in the bank.

Depends, can you post a picture of your gorilla arms so we can get a guess at how many hundreds of pounds of force you can put on those little bars?

I'd say take an inexpensive digital scale with you and maybe some calibration masses if you have them, and a 10x loupe. Make sure they are the right weight and inspect them very carefully.

You could take along a graduated cylinder to check the volume and from that calculate the density to maybe 1/10th, but IMO at that point you'd be pushing both your technical ability to make an accurate assessment and the patience of whomever you are working with.

These measures would only pick out poorly made counterfeits, but well-made counterfeits aren't going to be identifiable with non-destructive tests anyway.

Anyway, if it turns out that they are fakes, maybe you can just sell them on ebay :D

TTAZZMAN
11th May 2008, 19:35
i would get a acid test kit...or one of the acid test pens to do the testing .....

Trvlr45
15th May 2008, 22:54
I seem to remember an article I came across a while back where they were talking about a country who found out that the VAST majority of the country's gold boullion were fake lead bars. I think it was Ethiopia if I remember correctly. Man, you got BALLS!!!!

Trvlr45
15th May 2008, 22:56
I just read your post more carefully. It sounds like you will be there in person to take delivery. I'm sure there are ways to check the authenticity.

Daveman
19th May 2008, 04:51
Yes, i will be there to take delivery. My understanding is that pure gold is VERY soft, and from my own experience with coins (not eagles), I can easily leave a tooth mark on it by biting down.

But would I be able to bend a 10 oz bar? Has anybody tried this with 10 oz bars??

TTAZZMAN
19th May 2008, 11:23
for under $100 you can buy both a acid gold test..AND a electronic tester on Ebay....but if you want to use the bite and bend test go for it...and NO you shouldnt be able bend a standard 10oz gold bar with normal force.