PDA

View Full Version : Silver halves from the bank

amadeus
6th May 2008, 17:28
Anyone else try getting rolls of half dollars (or quarters/dimes) from their local bank and searching for silver?

I just requested rolls of half dollars at my bank, they said they come in boxes of 50x $10 rolls & they'd order them so long as I agreed to "buy" most of them. So far I've gotten $270 worth (27 rolls) and found one 40% 1965 half and a 1955 Franklin half... 2 out of 540 coins. Quite frankly the Franklin half came as a surprise, I wasn't even expecting to find something like that, no less a key date such as 1955. Only two coins but considering they only cost me $1 quite a fairly decent return.

Has anyone else tried this and if so what's your success rate?

clr8ter
6th May 2008, 18:29
Yes, I looked at $600 worth of halves. Found 1 franklin, 5 90% Kennedys, and 16 40%. All from the same bank, also same box, I think. Someone must have turned in a bunch for some reason, when the bank ordered more halves, it dried up.

amadeus
8th May 2008, 16:20
I've now gone through a full $500 worth of halves and in all the additional rolls I searched on top of the ones mentioned above I haven't found a single thing :(

Your luck astounds me, clr8ter.

I hope the next $500 proves more fruitful...

Anyone else have experiences with this?

JesterJay
8th May 2008, 16:44
I only find silver coins when I pay for them.
JesterJay

I've now gone through a full $500 worth of halves and in all the additional rolls I searched on top of the ones mentioned above I haven't found a single thing :(

Your luck astounds me, clr8ter.

I hope the next $500 proves more fruitful...

Anyone else have experiences with this?

clr8ter
8th May 2008, 18:11
My luck astounds me, too. Last summer I had read several E-Bay guides that mentioned looking at bank rolls for silver. I was skeptical, but it costs nothing to do. So, when I started finding stuff, I was surprised. Like I said, someone somewhere must have turned in a bunch of silver to the wrong place or something. One of the rolls I got, I looked at the end of the roll at the bank and saw it was silver! Real nice Kennedy 90%. It is nicely toned on the back and probably about AU. Yes, my luck tends to go in cycles........

Trevallion
9th May 2008, 00:23
Something I like to do is every time I go into a convenience store or grocery store or any place of business that has a cash drawer, I ask them if they have any half-dollars. Most of the time it's no, but sometimes they have 1 or 2 or 3 in the drawer. They don't care, so they just give me that as change. Sometimes I'm lucky and get 90% ones, but most of the time it's just 40%ers, but I'm not paying anything extra for 'em. I've seen people sitting there at the counter going through the stores' dimes and quarters looking for pre-1964 coins. Usually I don't have time to do that, but it's a good idea.

DaveK
13th May 2008, 17:34
I figured I'd give this a try. Went through $20 in dimes and $20 in halves. Nothing interesting, aside from some kind of nasty goop that got rolled up with the dimes :?

A couple of '66 dimes were the earliest. A nice '99 half and three bi-cen halves that the kids thought were neat.

I put all the coins back into the bank rolls (swapped out the $2 in halves that the kids took off with with some I had laying around) and found that if you're careful you can tuck those machine-rolled edges back in to look pristine. I think I'll see if I can shuttle all the halves from one branch to another and see if there is anything interesting in them. I figure I can put a UV mark on the roll so if it shows up again I won't have to check it.

SilverWhore
13th May 2008, 18:26
All of the banks around my area seem to always be annoyed when I ask to buy rolls of coins. If I kept going back and forth I can only imagine the attitude. Is it normal to "order" a whole box of coins from a bank rather than asking to take what they have? When I ask just to buy they sometimes say they can't trade that many rolls because they need them for business orders...

amadeus
13th May 2008, 19:45
All of the banks around my area seem to always be annoyed when I ask to buy rolls of coins. If I kept going back and forth I can only imagine the attitude. Is it normal to "order" a whole box of coins from a bank rather than asking to take what they have? When I ask just to buy they sometimes say they can't trade that many rolls because they need them for business orders...

It's something best done at a bank you use regularly and kinda know one or two of the tellers... I'm in the bank I get my half dollar rolls from nearly every day Mon-Fri getting rolls of coins and $1 bills as change for my work so I know all the tellers pretty well, plus I have a personal account at that bank too. Overall I'm on very good terms with them so they don't mind doing me a favor and ordering a whole box of 50 half dollar rolls because they know I'll "buy" all of them, not leave them with rolls of half dollars they don't want. :cool:

They ordered me another $500 box of half dollars last week after completely I went through the first one, should be in tomorrow, wish me luck!

Now the other bank I use to cash the half dollars back in, well I'm not sure they like me as much :D

I probably wouldn't bother going through rolls of dimes or quarters as I'm sure those get snatched out of circulation much faster since they circulate much more as opposed to half dollars...and even sticking with halves I'm not having astounding luck finding silver to begin with.

If anyone likes '76 halves I find TONS of them in the rolls I've been going through, I'm almost wondering if it would be worthwhile to put together rolls of just '76 halves and drop them on eBay?

DaveK
13th May 2008, 20:09
So far they've been happy to sell me rolls. They ask if I have an account, but they don't usually ask me to prove it.

I haven't started bringing many rolls back yet though, we'll see how they feel about that.

SilverWhore
13th May 2008, 20:23
Yeah, I have an account with the banks I normally ask for rolls from but I don't know any of the tellers very well since I alternate between two branches and only cash two checks a month. So I guess thats a problem...do you think they would order rolls for me even if they don't know me well but I have an account? I have never heard of a bank doing this so I am wondering if this is standard procedure or truly only a personal favor.

amadeus
13th May 2008, 21:17
I dunno, why not just ask? The worst that could happen is they say no...

buggles
14th May 2008, 08:20
I get my coins from my own bank. It is easy to get what they have when the source of funds is an account you hold there. I understand any bank would be required to cash rolls back into FRNs, is tht really true? I wouldn't know as I have no issues spending the $200 worth of dimes I withdraw weekly. I make sure to mark my rolls so I'll know if they circulate back to me through my bank.

Seems to me half dollars would be stupendously easy to market with considering how I have no issues circulating dimes. I bought $125 in groceries in dimes and was not given any problem.

DaveK
14th May 2008, 08:21
I suppose they might get annoyed if you buy a bunch of rolls one day and then bring them back the next and ask for more. I guess it depends on how busy they are. My bank has branches all over, so I figure whenever I'm out and happen to drive past one I can stop and either drop off or pick up rolls. That way no one branch will feel too put-upon having to sell change all the time.

clr8ter
14th May 2008, 17:58
Obviously everyone, (including the banks) have forgotten that banks deal with MONEY. Coins are MONEY. Sort of.......If you want coins, thats what they are there for. Don't be apologetic or consider it a favor. I have never seen a bank not willing to sell them to you. Even if you don't go there regularly or have an account. They should still be willing to exchange them for notes, just as long as you rolll them. I also would not bring them back to the bank you got them from. Coin hoarders refer to the return bank as the "dump bank". When i ask for halves, they have to fill out a form and get them from the vault. Which they do with a smile. Plus, most of the ladies there are HOT!

amadeus
14th May 2008, 19:07
Obviously everyone, (including the banks) have forgotten that banks deal with MONEY. Coins are MONEY. Sort of.......If you want coins, thats what they are there for. Don't be apologetic or consider it a favor. I have never seen a bank not willing to sell them to you. Even if you don't go there regularly or have an account. They should still be willing to exchange them for notes, just as long as you rolll them. I also would not bring them back to the bank you got them from. Coin hoarders refer to the return bank as the "dump bank". When i ask for halves, they have to fill out a form and get them from the vault. Which they do with a smile. Plus, most of the ladies there are HOT!

Any banks I've tried around here don't keep half dollars on hand, so it was a sort of favor for them to special order in boxes of 50 rolls just for me to sift through.

Sure banks exist to deal with money, but do you really think if you walk into a bank you've never dealt with before and ask for half dollar rolls (which most banks don't keep regularly) that they'd order some just for you? Doubtful.

Also, I never re-roll stuff I turn back in, I figure my "dump bank" owns a counting machine for a reason ;)

SilverHawk
1st June 2008, 23:50
I used to go to my bank in town when I was a kid a pull the wheaties from rolls. I'd get 20-30 on average. (circa 1966-1968). I'd re-roll them and put my initials all over them. Bring them back to the bank for more. Did it so much the bank had only penny rolls with my initials on them!

That was before I was smart enough to realize that I should have been collecting half dollars!

We're going to see a lot more silver coming back to circulation as people start cashing in those coin jars. I've been getting silver dimes in change from time to time. The halfs are probably going to be the best chance, like you guys are doing.

clr8ter
3rd June 2008, 17:39
I mentioned rolling them because in my area, most banks do not have counting machines, and most that do charge to use it, even if you are a customer. I can only think of 1 that has one and doesn't charge to count. Beleive it or not, I spent almost an hour in there one day getting $200 or so in halves counted one day. I can do it faster meyself.

ukjw
6th June 2008, 18:38
i wanna try this but what is the plan? go to one bank and have them order halves and after searching, roll them back up and return to another bank? or return to the same bank? will they even take them?

JesterJay
6th June 2008, 20:00
Buy the rolls,
pull out the argentum,
re-roll em',
go buy stuff with them.
Like food, gas, pay the utilty bill,
Cash spends real easy,
JesterJay

i wanna try this but what is the plan? go to one bank and have them order halves and after searching, roll them back up and return to another bank? or return to the same bank? will they even take them?

SilverWhore
8th June 2008, 21:19
I ordered $1000 in half dollars and then realized that they were all machine rolled in the wrappers that cannot be re-rolled. So now I need 100 half dollar paper rolls. I have been working this weekend and all the main bank branches are closed anyway so I haven't tried asking the bank yet but I'm thinkin those could be a rarity to get from them since they don't deal with halves normally. I have done a quick internet search and turned up nothing on where to buy any. Do you guys all just get them from the bank? If so do they normally have many on hand or you have to order those as well? If not, then where do you buy them?

fansubs_ca
8th June 2008, 23:19
What I usually do when I need rolling papers for coins if I have none is
to cut a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper in 4 then use the 1/4 sheets to roll
them in. If it's a bit long I cut it down. You may have to experiment a
bit with halfs since they are bigger, but it shouldn't take long to figure
out what size to cut them to. Bonus if you use "previously enjoyed"
paper that was only printed on one side and roll it with the blank side
out. ;) When done just write the appropriate info on the outside of
the home made roll.

Also if you experiment a bit you might figure out how to unravel one
end of those machine rolled papers such that the tube can be re-used.

If you aren't in to much of a hurry to unload them JesterJay's suggestion
is also good, they end up more widely dispersed that way rather than
all in one bank vault. :D

SilverWhore
9th June 2008, 11:56
What I usually do when I need rolling papers for coins if I have none is
to cut a 8 1/2 by 11 sheet of paper in 4 then use the 1/4 sheets to roll
them in. If it's a bit long I cut it down. You may have to experiment a
bit with halfs since they are bigger, but it shouldn't take long to figure
out what size to cut them to. Bonus if you use "previously enjoyed"
paper that was only printed on one side and roll it with the blank side
out. ;) When done just write the appropriate info on the outside of
the home made roll.

Also if you experiment a bit you might figure out how to unravel one
end of those machine rolled papers such that the tube can be re-used.

If you aren't in to much of a hurry to unload them JesterJay's suggestion
is also good, they end up more widely dispersed that way rather than
all in one bank vault. :D

Thanks for the help. Luckily I got to the bank today and they had a butt load of the appropriate rolls. I thought of making my own rolls out of paper too but in this particular case with 2,000 halves, that would be alot of cutting lol. I also try to just spend it like Jesterjay instead of going to the ATM and I have spent a few rolls, but I'm not a rich man and most of this has to go back in the bank especially if I am to make another order lol.

Thanks for the suggestion :cool:

Da Flyin Lion
9th June 2008, 12:38
I ordered $1000 in half dollars and then realized that they were all machine rolled in the wrappers that cannot be re-rolled. So now I need 100 half dollar paper rolls. I have been working this weekend and all the main bank branches are closed anyway so I haven't tried asking the bank yet but I'm thinkin those could be a rarity to get from them since they don't deal with halves normally. I have done a quick internet search and turned up nothing on where to buy any. Do you guys all just get them from the bank? If so do they normally have many on hand or you have to order those as well? If not, then where do you buy them?

So how much Silver did you find in $1000 worth of half dollars?

JesterJay
9th June 2008, 16:11
SW,
How much silver did a silverbug bag
If a silverbug could bag silver?
JesterJay

Peace Maker
11th June 2008, 18:34

well out of $1000. I found 6 Didnt have to roll up the ones going back though, the bank gave me a large plastic bag to put them in ($1000. worth)
seems the armored car takes them in bags of $1000. kinda heavy lol.

amadeus
11th June 2008, 21:21
well out of $1000. I found 6 Didnt have to roll up the ones going back though, the bank gave me a large plastic bag to put them in ($1000. worth)
seems the armored car takes them in bags of $1000. kinda heavy lol.

6x 90% or 6x 40% or what combination?

hiyosilver
12th June 2008, 01:19
and minimum wage is.... and gasoline costs.... and my wife thinking I'm insane... :D

fansubs_ca
12th June 2008, 03:29
Thanks for the help. Luckily I got to the bank today and they had a butt load of the appropriate rolls. I thought of making my own rolls out of paper too but in this particular case with 2,000 halves, that would be alot of cutting lol.

I guess it helps that I own a square cutter. ^_^ One of the left over pieces
of equipment from when I was a fansub distro (thus the origin of my user name
;) ) and I had designed cases with fancy inserts for some of the tapes I
distributed so I bought a square cutter for trimming the case inserts. To bad
VHS (and to some extent physical media in general) became obsolete so quickly
I have quite the duplication facility here. ^_^

I also try to just spend it like Jesterjay instead of going to the ATM and I have spent a few rolls, but I'm not a rich man and most of this has to go back in the bank especially if I am to make another order lol.

Spend the coins, re-deposit your paychecks instead of cashing them for
spending money. Though yeah, it's slower that way.

clr8ter
2nd July 2008, 22:35
Monday I went to the bank to ask them for some quarter rolls. The teller said why didn't I use the self-serve coin counter? They used to charge 5% to use it till recently. No more. That being easier, I dumped in $170 worth of quarters from the laundry machines. When I took the tag, I noticed the reject bin was full. Any coins the machine doesn't like, it kicks into a bin by your knee. Obviously no one knows about it. So, it cost me nothing to count the quarters, and I took home $5 + some change that other people left.....cool

$1.25 American & Canadian quarters
about $3 in nickels, mostly US, but also 2 pre '82 canadian
couple rolls of pennies
UK 10 pence, (looks enough like a quarter to me)
1 Chuck E Cheese token, (Ball Crawl here I come)

Irons
3rd July 2008, 20:36
Look folks, don't waste your time! You cannot even dump your 40% at a refinery, they won't take it.The 90% you are looking for is so picked over its being sold in bags.But hey, do what you like.:rolleyes:

SilverWhore
3rd July 2008, 22:32
"Look folks, don't waste your time! You cannot even dump your 40% at a refinery, they won't take it.The 90% you are looking for is so picked over its being sold in bags.But hey, do what you like."

Well it really costs me nothing to search them especially since there are 5 banks on my street alone that I have accounts in so no gas is wasted. I have just started doing this and I found three 90% franklins and two 90% 64 kennedys aside from all the 40%. Some even find walkers and Barber halves. Its all in your luck...some people get rolls the bank has around and they find solid silver rolls among them, sometimes 40% and sometimes a good amount of 90% in there.

I spent alot of money stocking up on silver when it was $16.00 since I knew it would only go up and I didnt want to space my buying out and pay more for no reason. So coin roll hunting is a good way to pick up some silver at face value when my funds are tight. I also search dimes and get some finds there as well. Quarters are hopeless because of the worthless state quarters. That is the majority of what you find in quarter rolls and sometimes banks only have brand new solid rolls of whatever the latest retarded state quarter is out. In any case its really fun. You never know what you'll find in the next roll =P Treasurenet.com is actually a good place for people into that sort of thing. Here is a whole forum dedicated to coin roll hunting:

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=97b97d46c23eefabce2ef895a96b1a ba&board=224.0

JesterJay
4th July 2008, 02:28
After cashing a check (so I can go buy silver with it) for me and a birthday check for my son at my main S&L, I asked the tellers if they had any half dollars. 2 of the 3 had them, $13 worth total. I spotted the good stuff right away. It had "the Look". And I dropped them on the cement outside to illustrate "the ring" to my older son. He recognized the GOODS right away too. I am so proud.
We found two 40% 1969s and a "64 90% Kennedy half.
Not too bad! 3 out of 26 were silver.
And no premium paid!!!
AND I GAVE THE HALVES THAT WERE tin TO MY DAUGHTER TO BUY GAS!
That's how you get rid of them. Lot's of them.
JesterJay

Well it really costs me nothing to search them especially since there are 5 banks on my street alone that I have accounts in so no gas is wasted. I have just started doing this and I found three 90% franklins and two 90% 64 kennedys aside from all the 40%. Some even find walkers and Barber halves. Its all in your luck...some people get rolls the bank has around and they find solid silver rolls among them, sometimes 40% and sometimes a good amount of 90% in there.

clr8ter
4th July 2008, 08:26
Yeah, I once found 5 90% & 16 40% in about $600 worth of halves. Not a bad return......

SilverWhore
4th July 2008, 13:51
When you are searching thousands worth, you NEED dump banks, I don't normally buy 5 grand in gas. I dont spend halves at the gas station aside from one time because at the very least, I should return a whole box to the bank so they can ship it right out. They get double pissed if you give them like $300 in halves that they have to let sit in their coin vault haha. Any quarter or dime rolls I have left from searching I spend though if I have something I need to buy. When I get halves right from the bank and not in a box that I order, I do spend them in that scenario and many silly girls don't even know what they are. 3 girls I have given them to at different stores have said "umm...are these dollars?" I'm like "yeahh...actually those are 5 dollar pieces..."

pkrebaum
4th July 2008, 17:10
I think it would be way cool if gas stations (and other merchants) would start listing prices in Oz. of Gold or Silver. Just like many of the finer Manhatten shops now list prices in Euros. Sure would go a long way towards raising the awareness of the sheeple as to what their paper money really is........

balou2
4th July 2008, 18:50
I think it would be way cool if gas stations (and other merchants) would start listing prices in Oz. of Gold or Silver. Just like many of the finer Manhatten shops now list prices in Euros. Sure would go a long way towards raising the awareness of the sheeple as to what their paper money really is........
Shhh...don't let the secret out...yet :)

SUPERMAN21
28th October 2009, 12:37
When you are searching thousands worth, you NEED dump banks, I don't normally buy 5 grand in gas. I dont spend halves at the gas station aside from one time because at the very least, I should return a whole box to the bank so they can ship it right out. They get double pissed if you give them like $300 in halves that they have to let sit in their coin vault haha. Any quarter or dime rolls I have left from searching I spend though if I have something I need to buy. When I get halves right from the bank and not in a box that I order, I do spend them in that scenario and many silly girls don't even know what they are. 3 girls I have given them to at different stores have said "umm...are these dollars?" I'm like "yeahh...actually those are 5 dollar pieces..."

I JUST GOT $1500 WORTH OF HALFS (3 BOXES) THAT WERE MACHINE ROLLED. I ONLY FOUND 1-1964 AND 1-1970. WHAT A WASTE OF TIME AND GAS.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF HALFS ARE AVAILABLE UNROLLED IN BAGS AND IF SO DO YOU GET MORE KEEPERS FROM BAGS THAN BOXES?

Jake
28th October 2009, 14:17
````````````

MODERN DAY MINER
28th October 2009, 15:43
I guess coin roll hunting isn't for everyone. I find on average 40 to 50 halves per week. I recently started looking in dime rolls as well and get about 20 silver dimes per week. I think you just half to go through volume and have a good network of dump banks set up. It can be time consuming but once you get a sytem down it really doesn't take much time. I go through about $12,000 in dimes and halves per week and I only spend about 2 hours per day doing it including drive time, picking up, and dropping off.

Jake
28th October 2009, 16:02
```````````````

akak
28th October 2009, 16:20
I guess coin roll hunting isn't for everyone. I find on average 40 to 50 halves per week. I recently started looking in dime rolls as well and get about 20 silver dimes per week. I think you just half to go through volume and have a good network of dump banks set up. It can be time consuming but once you get a sytem down it really doesn't take much time. I go through about $12,000 in dimes and halves per week and I only spend about 2 hours per day doing it including drive time, picking up, and dropping off.

Well, if we assume that you are finding, let's say, 45 silver half-dollars a week (taking the average of your quoted number), and of those maybe 15 are 90% silver (a generous assumption, I am assuming), then your total silver haul weekly would be:

30 40% silver halves = 4.44 oz. Ag
15 90% silver halves = 5.42 oz. Ag
20 90% silver dimes = 1.45 oz. Ag

For a total of 11.31 oz. of silver.

At $17 an ounce (average of latest prices), that would come to $192.27 per week in silver. Subtracting the face value that you "paid" for those coins, $24.50, it comes to $167.77 net gain.

If you are doing it for 2 hours a day, and assuming you do it five days a week, that comes to $34.92 made per day, or $16.77 an hour.

Not bad as a hobby, but not exactly a get-rich quick scheme either.

I do have to wonder, don't the bank tellers get sick of you dumping large amounts of half-dollars, or ANY coins, on them? I used to do this back in the 1970's as a kid, with far lesser amounts of coins (maybe 5 or 10 rolls of halves at a time), and I got the stink-eye at a number of banks after a while just doing that amount regularly. Dropping $1000 worth of halves on them regularly would, I would think, elicit an even less favorable reaction.

MODERN DAY MINER
28th October 2009, 17:41
I don't believe silver is a get rich quick scheme. I am stacking for the long haul. I was laid off about a month ago so this is my only means of getting silver right now. I am completely straight forward with the banks that I dump my coins at. They know exactly what I am doing. They usually ask if I found anything good. I try to only go in the same bank once a week.

Jake
28th October 2009, 18:24
``````````````

MODERN DAY MINER
28th October 2009, 21:23
Jake...Why is it so hard to belive. Maybe you just don't have enough coinage up in northern california. I have the entire Denver Metro Area. We have a lot of coin down here. You don't have to belive me I really don't care. I was just trying to add to the conversation.

SUPERMAN21
29th October 2009, 01:14

I DON'T KNOW HOW THAT COULD EVEN BE POSSIBLE. I WENT THROUGH $1500 OF ROLLED HALFS. I SLIT THE ROLLS SO I COULD SEE ALL THE COINS AT ONCE AND THEN WROTE MY ACCOUNT # ON THE ROLLS AND DUMPED THEM AT OTHER BANKS AND IT MUST HAVE TAKEN AT LEAST 5-6 HOURS IF NOT MORE.

IS ANYONE ABLE TO GET UNROLLED BAGS OF HALF DOLLARS AND DO YOU GET BETTER RESULTS WITH BAGS RATHER THAN BOXES?