PDA

View Full Version : Time to buy silver dollars?

donzo37
29th September 2009, 22:55
The price of morgans and peace dollars are temporarily down

I am getting them for $13 each - I believe the focus on ASEs is overdone

Here we have increasing rarity in the market, actual currency, maybe less subject to confiscation, and certainly of more historical interest

What do y'all think? Do they really have to be new and shiney? The grams are there

zr4
29th September 2009, 23:24
Thats a very good price imo. Just saw a '22 peace go for $16.50 on ebay. I wish I could find them as cheap as you are.

skijake
30th September 2009, 00:31
The price of morgans and peace dollars are temporarily down

I am getting them for $13 each - I believe the focus on ASEs is overdone

Here we have increasing rarity in the market, actual currency, maybe less subject to confiscation, and certainly of more historical interest

What do y'all think? Do they really have to be new and shiney? The grams are there

I love Silver Dollars but haven't seen them at $13 for a while.:cool:
Are you buying in quantity or are you talking a couple here and there.
13 is an outstanding price for average circulated.
For Culls and Slicks 13 is about right.
In my neck of the woods anyway,

Katwoman
30th September 2009, 03:23
I like them too. I get sick of the ASEs because they have no history. I have not seen them for $13 either though but if I could get them for that price I would scoop them up as fast as I could. The cheapest I see the is $16

Katwoman
30th September 2009, 08:33
BTW if you pay $16 today given that it is where monetary support is you are getting good deal.

DaBrownsRPhat
30th September 2009, 08:53
I like them too. I get sick of the ASEs because they have no history. I have not seen them for $13 either though but if I could get them for that price I would scoop them up as fast as I could. The cheapest I see the is $16

I'd be glad to take those ASE's No need to be burdened with them. ;)

Argyria
30th September 2009, 09:01
I'd be glad to take those ASE's No need to be burdened with them. ;)

I'll do one better. I'll even pay for shipping to me.

duneyman jr
30th September 2009, 13:09
they got them for 16 but didnt add 5.00 a coin shipping....i seen some for .99 cents for ase

donzo37
3rd October 2009, 09:50
I bought the roll of 100 Morgans for $1300
Maybe 10 were slick, 42 were nice (some with great tone many with little wear) rest were in between
He is a local dealer and says many people are bringing to market their old coins

Do y'all believe increasing rarity will make these Morgans more competitive with the ASEs?

LETMYSILVERGO
3rd October 2009, 11:13
I'll do one better. I'll even pay for shipping to me.

u can have mine--- just send me the $1,000.00 shipping --lol

DaleFromCalgary
3rd October 2009, 12:38
I noticed my dealer has lots of people lining up to sell him Royal Canadian Mint commemorative silver dollars. These are one ounce but are sold by the RCM at a premium because they are limited edition and/or colourized. Dealers, of course, only buy them back at the silver price. This might be a time to buy RCM silver dollars at spot market instead of numismatic prices.

akak
3rd October 2009, 12:43
I noticed my dealer has lots of people lining up to sell him Royal Canadian Mint commemorative silver dollars. These are one ounce but are sold by the RCM at a premium because they are limited edition and/or colourized. Dealers, of course, only buy them back at the silver price. This might be a time to buy RCM silver dollars at spot market instead of numismatic prices.

Yes, we have a similar situation here in the US with our mint's commemorative $5 gold coins which were sold in various proof and uncirculated sets, and at a very large premium --- APMEX now sells them in bulk as bullion pieces! I, for one, will NEVER buy anything directly from the US Mint again, as I have only seen aftermarket prices for anything I ever bought from them plummet after a year or so.

For anyone who still buys uncirculated and proof silver and gold coins from the US Mint, all I can tell you is, that is some expensive bullion that you are buying --- and that is probably all it ever will be.

Relayer
3rd October 2009, 13:15
I might be mistaken (I havent checked recently), but I think all you can buy in silver proofs from the mint are commemoratives. Similar situation with gold. Its been that way for quite a while.

ccjoe
3rd October 2009, 13:18
I might be mistaken (I havent checked recently), but I think all you can buy in silver proofs from the mint are commemoratives. Similar situation with gold. Its been that way for quite a while.

Commemoratives are NOT good investments especially in this economy. There's nothing wrong with them if you like them, but NOT to make money.
I do NOT like colorized silver. It's like a tatoo above the butt of a beautiful woman> distracting and diminishing of the intrinsic beauty.

akak
3rd October 2009, 13:23

You may be correct. I know that one used to be able to buy proof Eagles, both gold and silver, directly from the US Mint as well, but as I haven't bought anything like that from them in almost 20 years, I do not know the current status of what they are selling directly to the public, nor do I frankly much care.

My best advice on buying ANYTHING from the US Mint would be, if you really like a particular set or coin, just wait until a year or two after it is released from the Mint, and you will surely be able to pick it up in the secondary market at a significant discount to the price at which it was originally being sold by the Mint.

DaleFromCalgary
3rd October 2009, 14:12
"He is a local dealer and says many people are bringing to market their old coins"

I remember the January 1980 boom when there were lineups at Scotiabanks and coin dealers to buy gold and silver. Now when I see lineups, it is people selling junk silver, RCM commemoratives, and scrap jewelry.

One difference may be that the last bullion spike was ahead of or during the last oil boom, so people were flush with money. This time, bullion is spiking after the oil boom, so Calgarians are guarding their purses against the future.

akak
3rd October 2009, 14:19
"He is a local dealer and says many people are bringing to market their old coins"

I remember the January 1980 boom when there were lineups at Scotiabanks and coin dealers to buy gold and silver. Now when I see lineups, it is people selling junk silver, RCM commemoratives, and scrap jewelry.

One difference may be that the last bullion spike was ahead of or during the last oil boom, so people were flush with money. This time, bullion is spiking after the oil boom, so Calgarians are guarding their purses against the future.

You know, the average person, American or Canadian, is nowadays so clueless and ignorant of gold and silver, unlike even in 1980, I wonder if we will ever truly see the lines to buy PM's like we did in 1979 and '80. Or will most of the action just be taking place among the big players, with only a small handful of us in the public even noticing or caring? I mean, it's not like the corrupted corporate media is EVER going to acknowledge the gold and silver markets in any meaningful way, no matter what happens in them --- and as we all know, if they don't talk about on TV, it doesn't exist!

DaleFromCalgary
3rd October 2009, 14:42
I think the general public does know, hence the lineups to sell. Calgary news media have pretty much ignored the story, and some don't even know there is a story. However, the public these days pick up their news via the Web, hence the interest. (And hence the decline in newspapers.)

Cash2Riches
3rd October 2009, 17:18
I've also been getting some Morgans for around 13 dollars, and even some silver peace dollars as well. Although its hit or miss, you have to get them at non peak hours I find.