PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, question about ring test.

Seano
23rd April 2008, 08:10
So I'm brand new here. I recently picked up a few "Sunshine Silver" one ounce rounds via Ebay from an American seller with lots of impeccable feedback, they are all dated 1984. 19 of the 20 ring clear as a bell when lightly tapped on the edge with a quarter, just like the ASEs I also picked up. One does not ring at all. It looks identical to the other rounds, as far as I can see. Unfortunately, I don't have ready access to a digital scale to weigh it.

Now, my question is, would anyone got through the trouble to fake one of these rounds when they could just fake something with more numismatic value, or can other things cause a pure silver coin to not ring like that ?

Thanks in Advance, folks..

buggles
23rd April 2008, 10:05
Sounds extremely unlikely.
FWIW, I have long since given up on ring testing. I have found that the test is so inconsistent as to be useless.

JesterJay
23rd April 2008, 16:31
The ring test just gives you an idea. Like looking at the coin gives you an idea when you see the "shiny-ness" and "silvery" color.
Jay

Sounds extremely unlikely.
FWIW, I have long since given up on ring testing. I have found that the test is so inconsistent as to be useless.

buggles
25th April 2008, 14:14
Silver is just like anything else. The more exposure you have the more familiar you become.

Go to some pawn shops or bead shows/stores or your local coin dealer. Play with the silver. Look at it, feel it.

Just like a banker can tell a fake bill by feel simply from having enough real ones go through his hands.

If it feels even a bit funny, and I'm not specifically referring to the physical feel, walk away. Personally, I'm uncomfortable with anything weighing over 10 ounces. I have no doubts that the loads of 20, 50 and 100 ounce bars I have played with were real. I just know that I am 100% comfortable with recognizable and pointless to fake silver rounds, bullion coins and smaller bars.