PDA

View Full Version : Special Drawing Rights and Silver

SeekrBrnEvryMin
24th September 2009, 20:25
I've come to the conclusion that SDRs, envisioned in 1969, hammered out in 1979 - 80, are going to come. That will be the basis for the dollar, the Canadian dollar, the Euro, the yuan, et al. There are too many reasons to list here, but I'll bet my life's accumulation that it will be so.

Feel free to contradict.

Object: to determine the value of silver as money under SDRs to predict advantage of owning silver.

I have no doubt that gold will be part-basis for SDRs.

We've seen charts as to which countries own what amount of gold.

I'd like to see a chart showing silver holdings by nation. If silver holdings can be correlated to gold, then we have some sense of match of value.

Why the VAT for silver in Europe?

You see where I'm heading with this. Much to learn.

Even in America, silver's reputation as money has been spotty.

I'm leaning more towards silver's industrial value as a reason to be in it.

Thoughts?

valerb
25th September 2009, 17:20
I've come to the conclusion that SDRs, envisioned in 1969, hammered out in 1979 - 80, are going to come. That will be the basis for the dollar, the Canadian dollar, the Euro, the yuan, et al. There are too many reasons to list here, but I'll bet my life's accumulation that it will be so.

Feel free to contradict.

Object: to determine the value of silver as money under SDRs to predict advantage of owning silver.

I have no doubt that gold will be part-basis for SDRs.

We've seen charts as to which countries own what amount of gold.

I'd like to see a chart showing silver holdings by nation. If silver holdings can be correlated to gold, then we have some sense of match of value.

Why the VAT for silver in Europe?

You see where I'm heading with this. Much to learn.

Even in America, silver's reputation as money has been spotty.

I'm leaning more towards silver's industrial value as a reason to be in it.

Thoughts?

You left out the fact that every precious metal in Europe has the VAT tax added, except Gold.

I'm with you on the industrial value for holding Silver. It's the investment demand fighting with the industrial demand that can take Silver to very high levels.

It's good to hold Silver in case the dollar keeps dropping, but I'd much rather see Silver rise on it's own merits. I'm not looking to protect my wealth, I'm looking to increase it!!!

I don't think we'll ever see Silver tied into SDR's. With the size of the Silver market and the industrial demand, it would put a serious strain on industrial users.

DaleFromCalgary
25th September 2009, 19:13
Canada has no GST (federal Goods and Services Tax) on gold or silver; I buy both tax-free because Alberta doesn't have a sales tax at all. I had to pay GST on palladium Maple Leafs because it is not consider money but rather an industrial metal.

Few central banks hold much silver; the SDRs will use gold as the true-money base.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
25th September 2009, 21:01
Good posts!

Is logic taking me in the wrong direction? Silver's value is merely industrial?

Why was silver getting too expensive to be minted as coin in the 1960s? Industrial value?

valerb
25th September 2009, 22:05
Good posts!

Is logic taking me in the wrong direction? Silver's value is merely industrial?

Why was silver getting too expensive to be minted as coin in the 1960s? Industrial value?

I don't remember where I saw the listing of coins minted by year, but even with the confiscation of Gold and to a lesser extent Silver, they continued to pump out millions upon millions of Silver coins every year. At some point the cost of the Silver is more valuable than the coin is worth. Remember, they don't make copper pennies anymore either. Can you imagine how much Silver would have been removed from the market if we had never stopped minting 90% coins.

Everyone involved has been thinking ahead like they should have been. Remove Silver from the coinage before we run out and they still did.

If politicians weren't up to their eyeballs in oil money, it would probably still be selling at $10 a barrel. Now all we have to do is figure out how to get those corruptible bastards into the Silver game and we'll all be rich beyond our wildest dreams!!!!!

DaleFromCalgary
26th September 2009, 09:15
"If politicians weren't up to their eyeballs in oil money, it would probably still be selling at $10 a barrel."

Them's fighting words to a Peak Oiler. If oil was still $10, my wells would be shut down and I wouldn't be buying very much gold or silver (which I do from the royalties or dividends). A good place to read up on oil is theoildrum.com