PDA

View Full Version : Yay!

DaBrownsRPhat
23rd September 2009, 11:21
Maybe I will be pouncing on some more silver soon!

I was starting to think that buying time had maybe run out looking at things last night.

I know some of you are ready for $200/oz right now, but some of us are late to the party and need to catch up.

I complained, argued, and yelled about our currency being an illusion and not backed by anything like gold or silver for so long until I realized (late) that hey, I don't need to rely on those people pulling the strings, I'll just buy it for myself.

Simple realization, but took me too long to see it. Take advantage of the opportunity instead of fighting tooth and nail trying to fix it and make others aware.

SilverJim
23rd September 2009, 11:24
I'm all in already. Suuny Beach, those rotten rat bastards! Their time cometh soon and I'll be standing there with a big ole smile on that day, I tells ya! :D

Cash2Riches
23rd September 2009, 14:42
If things aren't drastically changed, this very well may be the greatest wealth transfer of our time.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
23rd September 2009, 21:23
I complained, argued, and yelled about our currency being an illusion and not backed by anything like gold or silver for so long until I realized (late) that hey, I don't need to rely on those people pulling the strings, I'll just buy it for myself.

Who were you trying to convince that our currency was an illusion?

DaBrownsRPhat
23rd September 2009, 21:44
Who were you trying to convince that our currency was an illusion?

No one on this site, I'm new here ;)

I just don't understand how people do not see the possible problems about to smack us in the face.

mark2112gum
23rd September 2009, 22:09
I know some of you are ready for $200/oz right now

$200.00 an an ounce, give your head a shake, it'll never happen. Can you imagine what a loaf of bread would cost if it did! Prices and Cost are relative!

Relayer
23rd September 2009, 22:13
Hey. I just thought of something.

An good quality loaf of bread right now costs about $4.25.

On ounce of silver will get me about 4 loaves of bread

When silver is $200 an ounce, and bread is $50 dollars a loaf, I can still get 4 loaves of bread.!!

DaBrownsRPhat
23rd September 2009, 22:16

$200.00 an an ounce, give your head a shake, it'll never happen. Can you imagine what a loaf of bread would cost if it did! Prices and Cost are relative!

Inflation is not the only factor.

Supply is limited.
Demand is rising.
Manipulation of the pm market is about to be exposed soon.
The real amount of supply once known will drive up the price.

Inflation and the crashing of the dollar are other possibilities, but not needed for $200/oz. I hope what you talk about does not come but we are heading down that path. Can't ignore reality and what is happening, the decisions being made by our leaders.

DaBrownsRPhat
23rd September 2009, 22:18

When silver is $200 an ounce, and bread is $50 dollars a loaf, I can still get 4 loaves of bread.!!

Important point.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
23rd September 2009, 22:20

I think we can take out $200/oz without bread even hitting $7.50 just by pubic interest in silver as an investment vs expensive gold when it's appeal as a safe haven becomes more publicized, which it will, when stock valuations catch up with fundamentals.

Relayer
23rd September 2009, 22:25
I hope your right!!

DaBrownsRPhat
23rd September 2009, 22:30
I hope your right!!

SeekrBrnEvryMin
23rd September 2009, 22:41

I think that large cash investors are going to become frightened over the next 3 years. Their fear will drive them to PMs for diversification. Silver will be the obvious choice for many.

DaBrownsRPhat
23rd September 2009, 23:09
I think that large cash investors are going to become frightened over the next 3 years. Their fear will drive them to PMs for diversification. Silver will be the obvious choice for many.

If the dollar stands that long.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
23rd September 2009, 23:20
If the dollar stands that long.

Roger that!

Smokey-Seven
24th September 2009, 06:25
Relayer said:

Yea, it's all relative. Here's a late 1950's story.

I can remember way back when my Dad sent me to the store for a loaf of bread and a half gallon of milk with a silver 1/2 dollar. I walked the half mile to the store and returned with the bread and milk and gave him the 3 cents change.

If inflation was nonexistent, if we were still a frugal people and if we did not run deficit spending, we could still do the same and silver would be in our coins at 90%.

Take a 90% silver half dollar to the coin store today, cash it for FRN's and you can still, shopping wisely, get a half gallon of milk and a loaf of bread and have some change left over.

The silver has not gained anything! Our money has lost what it is really worth.

When you price your silver in FRN's you have missed the point entirely. Price it towards basic staples of life and you will see that it is just standing there maintaining its value, not losing it like your money.

Argyria
24th September 2009, 06:28
Relayer said:

I can remember way back when my Dad sent me to the store for a loaf of bread and a half gallon of milk with a silver 1/2 dollar. I walked the half mile to the store and returned with the bread and milk and gave him the 3 cents change.

If inflation was nonexistent, if we were still a frugal people and if we did not run deficit spending, we could still do the same and silver would be in our coins at 90%.

Take a 90% silver half dollar to the coin store today, cash it for FRN's and you can still, shopping wisely, get a half gallon of milk and a loaf of bread and have some change left over.

When you price your silver in FRN's you have missed the point entirely. Price it towards basic staples of life and you will see that it is just standing there maintaining its value, not losing it like your money.

I have made this point myself several times.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
24th September 2009, 10:15
I have made this point myself several times.

The point hasn't been lost here. A lot of folks are counting on silver outperforming it's past wealth-holding history due to undervaluation, though.

Smokey-Seven
24th September 2009, 10:43
SeekrBrnEvryMin "folks are counting on silver outperforming it's past wealth-holding history due to undervaluation, though."

No disagreement from me there. That 20$ ceiling is still there, I remember the lines at the coin stores selling last time. I'll bet there will be more people there this time around. That 20$ bubble burst and we went free fall to 17ish then the market fizzled and dragged us way down. The smart ones are in below 12 - 13. Not a bad profit to take at 20.

Derivatives, Commercial real estate, a new wave of foreclosures as well as the FDIC problem and a number of banks yet to fail are on the horizon. I don't see the money there to prop up silver prices much higher in the near term. My FRN's are getting itchy and need to be passed to another for more silver at the right price.

S7

DaBrownsRPhat
24th September 2009, 10:58
C'mon $14/oz!

I'm ready to max my credit cards, just for you silver, at the right price ;)

TheLoneRanger
24th September 2009, 14:54

Mark relax.. two things to concider.. first silver has many reasons to move up, many more than just inflation.. so it is safe to assume, if other reasons come into play, and that would, I think, be necesary for silver to go so high, that inflation would not have to match the rise in silver.
Second , silver is such a small ammount of value in a very very large world.. silver rising to $200 would not even register as a decimal point in a 75 Trillion dollar world economy.. even at $200 you are talking market cap about the size of Microsoft or Buffets total wealth. US Stocks have lost about 100 times the gross worth of all the available silver world wide in the last year. So what would One Onehundreth of the economic noise we have already heard sound like? ping...

Silver can go to the moon, and make front page news.. and 90% of the people in the world would still not hear of it.. and 9% would find it interesting or curious... we few , we merry few... would indeed be merry.

TheLoneRanger
24th September 2009, 15:07
Relayer said:

Yeah sorta except

Back then and for almost all of history there has been plenty of silver.. nobody feared silver running out, or annual production not fullfilling demand... we need about 25% of annual production to be met by recycling now and silver is an industrial metal.. something new in the last 100 years, well 30 really, and that industrial use is the cause of the demand exceeding supply and the disappearaince of the Billions of ounces of bullion reserves arround the world...
Once price was fueled by greed...folks WANTED more than was cheaply availabe, so price was significant and silver was concidered precious... but that has changed, to much technology NEEDS silver.. all the old greed demand is still there, but now an industrial NEED is consuming silver.. used to be we just added to the world stack with each mine and year of production.. thats chaged .. we consume silver and we consume more than is produced.. and

NOW we are at the tipping point of the meager reserves on their last leg and price only being constrained by the issuing of paper silver...already not enough silver to have real silver behind every investment.. and you certainly cannot use paper silver for industrial metal... and every year it runs more "OUT".

Naw.. I think this time there are new and yet unexperience "Upside pressures" to the price of silver that have never been there before.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
24th September 2009, 16:29
Yeah sorta except

Back then and for almost all of history there has been plenty of silver.. nobody feared silver running out, or annual production not fullfilling demand... we need about 25% of annual production to be met by recycling now and silver is an industrial metal.. something new in the last 100 years, well 30 really, and that industrial use is the cause of the demand exceeding supply and the disappearaince of the Billions of ounces of bullion reserves arround the world...
Once price was fueled by greed...folks WANTED more than was cheaply availabe, so price was significant and silver was concidered precious... but that has changed, to much technology NEEDS silver.. all the old greed demand is still there, but now an industrial NEED is consuming silver.. used to be we just added to the world stack with each mine and year of production.. thats chaged .. we consume silver and we consume more than is produced.. and

NOW we are at the tipping point of the meager reserves on their last leg and price only being constrained by the issuing of paper silver...already not enough silver to have real silver behind every investment.. and you certainly cannot use paper silver for industrial metal... and every year it runs more "OUT".

Naw.. I think this time there are new and yet unexperience "Upside pressures" to the price of silver that have never been there before.

Most excellently put!

Argyria
25th September 2009, 00:55
About industrial demand forcing the price of silver to skyrocket:

Silver will only go up enough to get people who are holding some to sell. As I point out in another thread, mining actually exceeds destructive consumption. The rest of the demand simply adds to above ground supply.

The argument is made that 'all the gold ever mined is still above ground, thus silver is rarer'. Alright, fair enough, but the flip side is that much of that gold is in jewelry, coins, medals, etc.... So I'm making the same argument with silver. If it isn't actually destroyed, its still part of the above ground silver supply.

Here is what I said about this once before in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyria View Post
One thing that has been bugging me. Silver 'demand' figures count things like coinage, jewelry, silverware and so on. Those 'uses' of silver do not result in silver being lost or destroyed. In fact they are a buildup of total available silver inventory above ground. So I think it is fairer to compare silver mining alone vs. industrial+photography demand alone. Here, check out this chart from

http://www.silverinstitute.org/supply_demand.php#demand

Scroll to the last chart down the page.

So for 2008 for example, 680.9 million Toz were mined, while 552 million Toz were used for photography and industrial application. Thus above ground silver rose by 128.9 million Toz. On top of that, some fraction of industrially used silver can be recovered, for instance from recycling batteries or computer parts.

Now, maybe demand for jewelry and coinage and such will force the price up, but I just wanted to point out that mine production easily keeps pace and then some with destructive uses of silver. Above ground silver is growing, year by year.

Thus, if industrial demand were to go up to where mined production wasn't enough, the price would go up only enough to entice investors and those who own jewelry and silverware to sell to meet that demand. So I don't see how silver can take off to over $100 a Toz in a short time unless the dollar were to inflate by a corresponding amount. In which case it has only about preserved its value, maybe a little more. That's why that is all I ask of silver, to preserve the value of my investment in it.

Also, I don't know if its a fact or not, but someone pointed out to me on that thread that 80% or so of silver used in photography is recovered.