PDA

View Full Version : Half Dollar 1943 coin

JCM6395
5th September 2009, 09:29
Where my wife works she came across a 1943 half dollar coin. She paid 50 cents for it and brought it home. It is definitely showing its age. Which I'm sure lowers its value big time. But the image and lettering can be seen clearly. Weren't coins in that era silver? The fact that WW 2 was going on they might have changed the content so I thought I'd ask you experts.

Smokey-Seven
5th September 2009, 10:22
"Junk silver" or 90% or 40% are priced as the quantity of silver contained and it fluctuates with spot. As of the time of your post it would be worth around $5.50+ with no regard to condition. It's generally over 10 to one for face on 90% silver, which your is. The below site lists all the metals value in US coins.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

The site shifts as the spot market moves.

The funny thing is that in mid war years, copper was at such a premium, that they substituted silver for copper. It is also why they made steel pennies in 1943 instead of copper.

Katwoman
5th September 2009, 10:50
First of all 90% is not junk silver at $16 per ounce; 40% is junk silver because it still costs too much to separate from the alloys although as silver prices increase that could change. The coin your wife found is probably a walking liberty 90% silver half dollar and is worth about $7 in today's market given your description of the condition.

Any pics?

BTW this is coin the modern ASE silver bullion dollar is based on. Bullion dollars are not designed to be circulate because they are too soft; this is why all coins used as money prior to 1964 were 90%.

PSUDave
5th September 2009, 15:07
First of all 90% is not junk silver at $16 per ounce; 40% is junk silver because it still costs too much to separate from the alloys although as silver prices increase that could change.

Yes, common, well worn 90% silver is junk silver, nothing more. ;)

LETMYSILVERGO
5th September 2009, 15:15
Where my wife works she came across a 1943 half dollar coin. She paid 50 cents for it and brought it home. It is definitely showing its age. Which I'm sure lowers its value big time. But the image and lettering can be seen clearly. Weren't coins in that era silver? The fact that WW 2 was going on they might have changed the content so I thought I'd ask you experts.

EXCUSE MY ATITTUDE -- JUST GOT UP "" YOU MUST BE VERY YOUNGE OR HAVE NOT CRAWLED OUT OF THE PEA PATCH U WHERE BORN.

THE ZIP CODE CAME TO LIFE AND IT WAS THE DEATH OF THE SILVER US COIN
IN 1964--- EXCEPT OF COURSE, FOR THE 40 PERCENT HALVES.

SilverJim
5th September 2009, 15:37
To echo a couple others here, the coin you have is a Walking Liberty half dollar made of 90% silver. Given the worn condition, it has no numismatic (collectable) value, just the silver value which is about $5.50 at this time. These coins are referred to as junk silver.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
5th September 2009, 20:30
Collect this kind of "junk," and you will, too.

Katwoman
5th September 2009, 23:10
Yes, common, well worn 90% silver is junk silver, nothing more. ;)

I throw all my junk out so if he is planning on throwing it out I will gladlly take his "junk":p

LETMYSILVERGO
6th September 2009, 01:04
Dear Kat,

The Only Hook On That, Is You Have To Pay The Shipping In Advance--crap!

Smokey-Seven
6th September 2009, 06:37
PSUDave
THE ZIP CODE CAME TO LIFE AND IT WAS THE DEATH OF THE SILVER US COIN IN 1964--- EXCEPT OF COURSE, FOR THE 40 PERCENT HALVES.)

The Zip code came in in 1963 and 1964 was the last year for 90% coin. 1965 began the 40%.

silver_surfer
6th September 2009, 20:43
the junk silver..90% holds it value more then any other kinda silver! even when silver was cheap it would sell way over spot..6.00 is a fast sell..5.00 you cant keep them..also silver eagles were meant not to be circulated and the 90% were all meant to be so even average looking ones are more rare then a eagle. Plus its always easy to weight or know the weight of a goverment issued coin and would be foolish to scrap for silver...its not like it needs to be scrapped to turn into a peice of jewelry anyway..its a measured coin that will hold up for years and have been around the world.. A silver bar can be made and repoduced time after time but a 90% coin will always be the most valuable even if silver ever plummeted it will have its collectability...
Most coin dealers are overpriced on alot of 90% coins tho when they sell them individually..Ive seen normal junk ones priced at 12.00 and so on...but 10x to 12x is normal price right now unless silver gets above 20.00

JCM6395
6th September 2009, 21:18
I'm a history buff so I will keep it just to say I have a 1943 half dollar. Its a cool coin even if it is in pretty worn condition. I can still read the lettering fairly well along with the image of the Walking Liberty on it. I gave my wife much props for catching it.