PDA

View Full Version : COT numbers don't add up. Help?

SilverHawk
29th August 2009, 11:17
I just noticed something on the COT numbers. Large Speculators Short. Can someone explain?

OK, the Futures # is 6537
and combined # is 4168

how can that number be less?
I would think the combined would be at least 6537 (if there were no option shorts)

Every other "combined total" is more. Which makes sense. It says to me there are a negative amount of option shorts, which I can't figure out how that can be. It's like this on the previous reports too.

valerb
29th August 2009, 23:03
I just noticed something on the COT numbers. Large Speculators Short. Can someone explain?

OK, the Futures # is 6537
and combined # is 4168

how can that number be less?
I would think the combined would be at least 6537 (if there were no option shorts)

Every other "combined total" is more. Which makes sense. It says to me there are a negative amount of option shorts, which I can't figure out how that can be. It's like this on the previous reports too.

I have no idea, but I can tell you that it has been that way since November 2008, on every COT report that I can find. That's the oldest COT report I have. All the COT reports that I could find from November 2008 until May 2009 has the same thing with the LONGS for the Large Speculators. Where the futures & options combined for the LONGS and SHORTS were both less than the Futures only!!

I doubt there is really anything wrong with the reporting or Ted Butler and others would have picked up on this a long time ago.

I'm sure at least one person on this Forum knows the answer.