PDA

View Full Version : Why the optimisim about silver ?

Mister Jones
28th August 2009, 22:55
Silver is around the same price it was in May of 2006 and it's way down from a year and a half ago. Sure, it has tripled in the past six years but 80% of that gain came way back during September 2005- May 2006. Why aren't people very disappointed here ? They should be but, of course, they still have hopes and dreams of crisis, chaos, and SHTF to save the day. It may indeed come and silver may indeed soar but I wouldn't get my hopes up !

MetalWorx
28th August 2009, 23:06
Speaking for myself, I have done quite well with my silver investment. Can you tell me where the stock market is compared to 3 years ago, 6 years ago? Maybe I would have done better there....:rolleyes:

argent_pur
28th August 2009, 23:35
It appears duney has family...strange...

...it was more convenient for me to think of him as an only child.

argent_pur
28th August 2009, 23:49
Silver's long-term supply/demand fundamentals are solid. You're entitled to your pessimism (this is still America, I think). However, I don't know how much traction you'll get on SILVER FORUM.

That said, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you have a point about silverbugs being disappointed with the current price. What I mean is, I don't listen to anyone's (that includes silverseek posters) prediction about what the price will be tomorrow, next week, or in the next few months. Where the dips will be, where the peaks will be; I don't pay attention because they don't know for sure. I just buy and hold. No one has a crystal ball, so people should stop listening to predictions, and perhaps folks won't be disappointed when the predictions don't happen.

I do believe silver will prove the silverbugs correct eventually.

Katwoman
28th August 2009, 23:52
No feeding the trolls;)

zr4
29th August 2009, 00:08
I think most of us are only disapointed that we don't have very good boating skills. ;)

main1event
29th August 2009, 00:21
Where do you put your money, in bonds? Dont you think interest rates are going up at some point?

Do you put your money in equities, the Dow has gone no where for the last decade.

There are people that I like to call investors, who have long term horizons. Then there are the people who chase fast money. If you are looking for fast money with silver, now might not be the time for Silver. If your time horizon is 5 to 15 years, then lets talk. The unprecedented amount of treasuries that are being sold combined with the dollars being created is not good for the dollar long term.

So that being said, where else do you put your money if the dollar is heading down long term?

argent_pur
29th August 2009, 01:11
No feeding the trolls;)

I was just thinking..."maybe I can reason with him, maybe, just maybe, I can get him to see the truth". I still have hope for this troll, Kat! It may be too late for duney, but I think we can convert this one...I can just feel it:-D

LETMYSILVERGO
29th August 2009, 01:30
LA LA LA LA !!! Silver is coming to town"

having been around the sun 60 times --- i have never heard sucH fucked up news on the Stockmarket, currencies, peaple loosing thier jobs, ect, the mass printing of money, the HUGE EVER GROWING NEVER ENDING DEPT (HEGNED)

AND IT'S 24/7,

PLUS IT IS ALL GETTING WORSE MY THE MINUTE---SO NOT HAVING MUCH FAMILY & A **** LOAD OF SILVER (& not feeling any pain as yet

THESE ARE HISTORIC TIMES, AND I AM HAPPY TO BE WITNESS TO THIS MESS. THIS IS AN INTERESTING TIME TO BE ALIVE--- WE WILL SEE CHANGES WE CAN ONLY IMAGINE.

WE ARE GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT THIS FOR A LONG TIME--

JUST TAKING ONE DAY AT A TIME---- TAKE IT EASY

admthrwn
29th August 2009, 01:49
Where do you put your money, in bonds? Dont you think interest rates are going up at some point?

Do you put your money in equities, the Dow has gone no where for the last decade.

There are people that I like to call investors, who have long term horizons. Then there are the people who chase fast money. If you are looking for fast money with silver, now might not be the time for Silver. If your time horizon is 5 to 15 years, then lets talk. The unprecedented amount of treasuries that are being sold combined with the dollars being created is not good for the dollar long term.

So that being said, where else do you put your money if the dollar is heading down long term?

Main, that's just crazy talk. It's obvious now after studying the Great Depression, it's a known fact that the crash back then tanked straight to the bottom, and rallied seemlessly back to normal. The term "Sucker's Rally" is just a made up term to scare people from making money. I say go long on the financials, they're a great buy at this price. Mainly because they're just oh so productive.

JCM6395
29th August 2009, 06:03
LA LA LA LA !!! Silver is coming to town"

having been around the sun 60 times --- i have never heard sucH fucked up news on the Stockmarket, currencies, peaple loosing thier jobs, ect, the mass printing of money, the HUGE EVER GROWING NEVER ENDING DEPT (HEGNED)

AND IT'S 24/7,

PLUS IT IS ALL GETTING WORSE MY THE MINUTE---SO NOT HAVING MUCH FAMILY & A **** LOAD OF SILVER (& not feeling any pain as yet

THESE ARE HISTORIC TIMES, AND I AM HAPPY TO BE WITNESS TO THIS MESS. THIS IS AN INTERESTING TIME TO BE ALIVE--- WE WILL SEE CHANGES WE CAN ONLY IMAGINE.

WE ARE GOING TO BE TALKING ABOUT THIS FOR A LONG TIME--

JUST TAKING ONE DAY AT A TIME---- TAKE IT EASY

I've only been around the sun 46 times, but I do agree with what you are saying. It boggles my mind that the yearly deficit this year will equal the total national debt accumulated between 1789 to 1989. Our government is doing this without any remorse. Something majorly F'd up is coming our way. I heard Obama is now talking about creating a Civilian National Defense Corp that will be just as powerful as the military?!?!?!?! Are they going to have some cool looking armbands too? I'm really fearing for our liberty's. Its like the Constitution is viewed as an outdated document by our politicians anymore.

Mister Jones
29th August 2009, 08:11

I do have gold and silver among other investments but I don't agree that the dollar is headed down.

main1event
29th August 2009, 09:46
I do have gold and silver among other investments but I don't agree that the dollar is headed down.

Why dont you agree. When the dollar creation scheme is running at full throttle that is absolutely positively diluting the amount of our currency. Now I realize the dollar is traded against a basket of currencies that in themselves are really no good either. However, there are alternatives to fiat currency. The Swiss franc is backed by gold. Then there is gold itself.

Believe me there are many intelligent investors out there that realize there are alternatives to the dollar. So whether the dollar falls or not against other currencies it will fall against the only true currency, gold.

Of course you might disagree with that as well, thats your decision. Everything in the last 10 years has fallen against the price of gold. I expect that for the next 10 to 20 years.

zr4
29th August 2009, 09:48

The dollar index was 107 in May 2006 now it's 78. I think most people here agree that if it goes below 70 that could be a major tipping point.

Katwoman
29th August 2009, 10:24

People like you and your alter ego Duneyman have been telling us that silver is a bad store of value and that the dollar is not going down since the DI was at 88 in March and it is now at 78. Is this a simple lapse in judgment on your part......or have you simply confused the dollar index with a unit of measure like "gauge" according to which smaller is actually bigger?

I am editing this after posting and noting the Zr4 said basically the same thing.....see Mister Jones great minds really do think alike......which begs one to question the capacity of your mind.

Mister Jones
29th August 2009, 11:57
The dollar index was 107 in May 2006 now it's 78. I think most people here agree that if it goes below 70 that could be a major tipping point.

If my memory is correct it did go close to 70 but then zoomed up.

Mister Jones
29th August 2009, 11:59
Why dont you agree. When the dollar creation scheme is running at full throttle that is absolutely positively diluting the amount of our currency. Now I realize the dollar is traded against a basket of currencies that in themselves are really no good either. However, there are alternatives to fiat currency. The Swiss franc is backed by gold. Then there is gold itself.

Believe me there are many intelligent investors out there that realize there are alternatives to the dollar. So whether the dollar falls or not against other currencies it will fall against the only true currency, gold.

Of course you might disagree with that as well, thats your decision. Everything in the last 10 years has fallen against the price of gold. I expect that for the next 10 to 20 years.

I am not saying that you are necessarily wrong but I believe you and others are too confident . If all you seek is protection against inflation then go ahead and buy all the PM's you want but don't expect any short term explosion.

Katwoman
29th August 2009, 12:17
I am not saying that you are necessarily wrong but I believe you and others are too confident . If all you seek is protection against inflation then go ahead and buy all the PM's you want but don't expect any short term explosion.

While some here may attempt to make money by market timing I think it is safe to say that most of us are hedging against inflation.

TheLoneRanger
29th August 2009, 12:35

I honestly don't remember for sure... But I think I remember folks back in May'06 saying something about a tipping point at 99.... I'm betting as the dollar nears 50 we'll be talking about a tipping point if 42.
I remember the dollar at arround 160 back in early '86.. I was overseas with disposable income and helped some expat Americans buy London LOL

main1event
29th August 2009, 12:41
While some here may attempt to make money by market timing I think it is safe to say that most of us are hedging against inflation.

I'm also hedging against a dollar collapse. I've been saying for many months now since the bailouts the next crisis is that of the currency.

main1event
29th August 2009, 12:43

What others, a few snot nose radicals on a chat board? Are your neighbors talking about silver, are your friends? By the time your friends and neighbors are talking about it, Silver prices will be through the roof. The public is always late and they always mark the end stage to a bull market.

Smart money is accumulating right now. Very few people on this chat board have the resources to buy 1000 oz of Silver. I keep hearing 10 oz purchases. Does that really sound like confidence to you?

TheLoneRanger
29th August 2009, 12:46
Silver is around the same price it was in May of 2006 and it's way down from a year and a half ago. Sure, it has tripled in the past six years but 80% of that gain came way back during September 2005- May 2006. Why aren't people very disappointed here ? They should be but, of course, they still have hopes and dreams of crisis, chaos, and SHTF to save the day. It may indeed come and silver may indeed soar but I wouldn't get my hopes up !

I cheer the price down when I want to buy and I cheer the price up when I ain't buying.. it's always a little schizophrenic to be in commodities anytime you are both buying and selling.. but to be in silver something that is both money and industrial metal.. that has value both as and in itself, and yet so valuable in so many end products. The miners purely want the price high, the end uses purely want the price low. The Austrians want it to be used as money, the keynerians want it to just go away, but will tolerate it being used industrially if you must.

And then I prepare against disasters and calamity I do not want, but yet wish silver was high to feel rich? Vindicated? wise? selfreliant? and happy when silver is low as a sign of peace and prosperity across the land.

I guess if you boil it all down.. the more silver you have, the happier you are, good times or bad.

And to add a final thought... we have the investment gurus talking folks out if getting into silver by telling them it is too volitile and risky, while at the same time the same investment gurus are telling the folks that are in silver to get out because it is to stable in price and not going anywhere.

Typically risky investment have higher returns than low risk investments... so why , in these times and financial conditions would trying to get into the highest potential ROI's be a good or wise thing? That kind of unsophisticated naive investment strategy is what replace the shortsighted "Greed is Good" of the '80's and probaby had a lot to do with bringing on this crisis... especially when you concider how much flipping real estate was one of those high flying get rich quick bundle the CDO was a child of that unsophisticated investment philosophy.

You diverify your investments across the risk spectrum . there are chat rooms for folks who buy stocks and real estate just like for PM's .. concider your troubles with silver.. and then go listen to the wailing and nashing of teeth on the foreclosure forums, the pension forums, the 401k and IRA forums.. might even read the obits over on the day trader forums... sad so sad...

Mister Jones
29th August 2009, 13:29
People like you and your alter ego Duneyman have been telling us that silver is a bad store of value and that the dollar is not going down since the DI was at 88 in March and it is now at 78. Is this a simple lapse in judgment on your part......or have you simply confused the dollar index with a unit of measure like "gauge" according to which smaller is actually bigger?

I am editing this after posting and noting the Zr4 said basically the same thing.....see Mister Jones great minds really do think alike......which begs one to question the capacity of your mind.

Yes, the dollar is down from a few months ago but it's up from before that. It's all goes in cycles , of course, but what about all those predicting the dollar's collapse a year ago ? They were quite wrong.

MetalWorx
29th August 2009, 13:47
Things like commodities, currencies, ect go up and down in a straight line right?

TheLoneRanger
29th August 2009, 15:20
Things like commodities, currencies, ect go up and down in a straight line right?

Constantly