PDA

View Full Version : Help Identify a Morgan Head Silver Trade Unit

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 10:53
Hello all and welcome to my 2nd post.

I honestly can't remember where I bought it or when but looking through my collection for the first time in years I came across an odd duckling and would love to learn more about it.

I have a coin with the Morgan head design on one side with no words but 21 stars around the head. (What is the significance of 21?)

The reverse has a scale (a pivoting scale) with what appears to be coins on one side and bottles on the other.

Also, the words ONE TROY OUNCE mark the top with SILVER TRADE UNIT at the bottom with 999 FINE SILVER in smaller letters right above it.

Once I figure out how to post a picture on here I will.

Any help on identifying the coin will be of help. Any other members here own one? Apprx. how many were minted and who minted them?

argent_pur
21st July 2009, 11:09
The Morgan was last minted in 1921, that may explain the stars...

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 11:17
That is a possibility I didn't even think of, keep the comments coming.

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 11:38
This is the coin. Sorry for the first picture being blurry, I can't take quality photos to save my life.

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ilikelittlepumpkins/MorganHeadCoin3.jpg

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ilikelittlepumpkins/MorganHeadCoin.jpg

mkc
21st July 2009, 13:51
Anything to do with 21 states in the US and then Illinois being added? How old is the coin?

US History is not a strong point but being a Brit I have a small interest in what our old land was up to!

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 13:58
Since there is no date on the coin to be found any guesses at when it was made is speculative. The Morgan design was first used in 1878 and cont. all the way to 1921 to the best of my knowledge. So that is 43 years of space where I'm guessing it was made.

silverheartbone
21st July 2009, 14:18
You need to post a better head shot.

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 14:28
You need to post a better head shot.

I will try again

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx141/ilikelittlepumpkins/MorganHeadCoin3.jpg

namron
21st July 2009, 15:42
Sounds like you may have an older Northwest Territorial Mint bullion round.
I have purchased bullion rounds from them and they use the words "silver trade unit". Under the scales does it have the letters NTM?

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 16:44
Sounds like you may have an older Northwest Territorial Mint bullion round.
I have purchased bullion rounds from them and they use the words "silver trade unit". Under the scales does it have the letters NTM?

Just now I checked and it doesn't have NWT stamped into it anywhere. I even checked with a magnifiying glass. Thanks for the guess.

LoboNoches
21st July 2009, 17:06
Cant make out the picture but Apmex has a photo of generic round believe a mark under there generic bullion listing does it look like this at all

https://www.apmex.com/Product/23/1_oz_Silver_Rounds_999_Fine_.aspx

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 19:40
Did the photos not open at all or were they just blurry? They open for me fine but I will try to change it so everyone can see it. I looked at the generic silver picture on Ampex and it didn't look like mine.

Prospector
21st July 2009, 20:17
Both of those are fairly common designs, usually with no identification of the mint. The Morgan heads I have all say "LIBERTY AND JUSTICE" above the head. The scales I have all look similar to yours, but they are not on the Morgan head coins. I have seen the scale design on a lot of different rounds.

hippiebrian
21st July 2009, 20:17
I'm new to coin collecting, however the coin in the picture is in no way a real Morgan. My best guess is it's just an old generic bullion coin, or a real bad forgery of a morgan.

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 20:30
Oh I'm sure that it isn't a fake morgan dollar, I just meant it has a Morgan head design on one side.

Beretta 92D
21st July 2009, 20:32
Both of those are fairly common designs, usually with no identification of the mint. The Morgan heads I have all say "LIBERTY AND JUSTICE" above the head. The scales I have all look similar to yours, but they are not on the Morgan head coins. I have seen the scale design on a lot of different rounds.

I googled Morgan Head Silver Trade Unit and many coins like the one you describe above come up but none like mine. The thing that sets mine apart from the others is no words above Lady Liberties head and the 21 stars.

hippiebrian
21st July 2009, 20:36
You may want to ask these people, http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/. It's a very knowledgeable group on coins, etc.

hiyosilver
21st July 2009, 22:17
I don't know, but that's the ugliest liberty head I've ever seen! Looks like a guy in drag.....

Beretta 92D
22nd July 2009, 06:39
I don't know, but that's the ugliest liberty head I've ever seen! Looks like a guy in drag.....

Haha I would have to agree. She's definately got some manly charecteristics.
Is this time to write this off as a generic or should I keep trying to find out what it is? hmm

silverheartbone
22nd July 2009, 07:49
That is one generic silver round.

Beretta 92D
22nd July 2009, 09:12
Well thanks everyone, I just wanted to see if I had a million dollar coin in the collection. Just checking. And Thanks again.

AgShaman
28th June 2010, 19:39
I have some morgan head replicas-1 ounce trade units...agreed, not so easy on the eyes....but it has the E PLURIBUS UNUM and liberty like the morgans from the 18 and 1900's. I'm satisfied with the other side having the 31.1 grams, one troy ounce, .999 fine silver etc. for a legit generic. It has 16 stars below the woman (not sure why).

I think World Wide Mint has a better looking woman on their 1 ounce round, but it's not a trade unit like the traditional "scales" style...it's an "American Eagle", and has what looks like a standing bald eagle on the other side. It's a little bit thinner coin, but bigger in diameter....I like it alot better. If you've ever been up close and personal with a bald eagle then you will know what kind of a truly massive bird they are. I've seen them do suicidal nose dive kamikaze missions into shallow rivers and streams....only to come back out fully intact like a phoenix, and with a healthy trout in their talons to boot....bad ass I tell ya....more so than the coin....but I'd welcome more of this coin with a more realistically featured woman.

Curiosity will not kill the C/Kats of SS Nation!

AgShaman
28th June 2010, 19:47
the Eagle over the scales....definitely.

Curiosity will not kill the C/Kats of SS Nation!

AdamsSamoa
9th July 2010, 21:15
I have one with 13 stars and 1983 dated

MICHAEL BARRETT
16th November 2010, 11:22
Beretta 92D, Did you ever find out what the coin is. I have one too. Thanks, Mike.

Katebelate
31st May 2011, 22:50
I also have this exact coin, and have no idea as to the details of it's origin, in fact this post is the only thing I have seen about the coin so if you can find out anything more about it I would be truly grateful