PDA

View Full Version : New Silver Long Hauler

Silver Who
30th March 2008, 19:54
I bought a monster box from apmex a couple of weeks ago....I am VERY new at this...It seems like many on this thread are able to answer some questions...some probably are silly questions, I just don't know anything about this stuff....If you can help,Thanks

1. they are 2008 Silver eagles...Is there a chance there are any MS70's in the batch? A freind told me it's possible...
2. If so how is the best way to find them?
3. is it ok to handle the coins? Will they get dinged up by handling them? if so does that devalue them at all?
4. What does "over Spot" mean....?"

I may have more questions that pop up...If I do I'll ask them later. Thanks

TTAZZMAN
30th March 2008, 22:17
Saveing you some time by being blunt.....

If your asking these questions you will not be able to tell the difference between a MS69 and a MS70

Even if you were very knowledgeable about coins you would be lucky to pick out a high enough percentage of MS70 coins to make the gradeing worth the cost of gradeing.
in other words if you were very knowledgeable and picked out a 100 coins you thought would be MS70 maybe 5-10 would come back as MS70 and the rest MS69 or MS68 .....at a cost of 30$ each sending in those 100 coins would cost you with shipping etc 350-400 ....the MS69s dont go enough over spot to matter......and you wont get enough MS70s to pay for the gradeing

Never handle a uncirculated coin...unless you use cotton gloves or hold by the edge, even cleaning a coin normally lowers its value (finger prints are one of the hardest things to remove from a coin)

"spot" is the published spot price of silver you can find it on the home page of silverseek.com during tradeing hours it changes 24hrs a day .....over spot is the premium you pay over spot for certain coins bars etc. Spot when i typed this was 17.87$ ozt -so if someone says for example I paid 2$ over spot for silver eagles it means he paid spot price + $2 per ozt for the coins at the time he purchased them

Just my humble opinion

JesterJay
30th March 2008, 22:35
I have HEARD from reliable sources (a guy who used to go through monster boxes) that:
1. There MAY be 5 or 6 MS70's in a box of 500. Most of the rest are MS68's and 69's.
2.YOU personally won't find them. You (or I, and I think I could pick out a 70 perhaps half the time-not good enough to try) would need to send the entire box in to PCGS or NGC and ask them to pick the 70's. They would find the 70's and slab and grade them and charge you accordingly. This may/may not be worth doing. Probably NOT. Perhaps in the future...
3. Don't handle without gloves to keep them UNC. Hell, I won't even open a roll. Leave well enough alone, as it were.
4. Over spot is above the "going rate". Be happy to only pay $1.90-ish over spot for an Eagle. Anything less is a bargain. Yes, they will get dinged up if you handle them, so DON'T.
I hope you have more questions, we ALL want to hear the answers. No one knows everything.
Listen and learn- as will I,
JesterJay

I bought a monster box from apmex a couple of weeks ago....I am VERY new at this...It seems like many on this thread are able to answer some questions...some probably are silly questions, I just don't know anything about this stuff....If you can help,Thanks

1. they are 2008 Silver eagles...Is there a chance there are any MS70's in the batch? A freind told me it's possible...
2. If so how is the best way to find them?
3. is it ok to handle the coins? Will they get dinged up by handling them? if so does that devalue them at all?
4. What does "over Spot" mean....?"

I may have more questions that pop up...If I do I'll ask them later. Thanks