PDA

View Full Version : Silver Philharmonic

pbmaxb
29th March 2008, 13:07
not much mention of this coin around here... looks beautiful. anyone getting these? i just bought 300! "from the oldest mint in the world"

TTAZZMAN
29th March 2008, 17:02
what did you have to pay for them vs spot?

pbmaxb
30th March 2008, 11:17
$1.85 over spot

chux03
31st March 2008, 00:53
From Franklin Sanders' The Money Changer ( www.the-moneychanger.com )

Moneychanger, nowhere in your recommendations do I see anything about pure gold coins like the Canadian Maple Leaf or Austrian Philharmonic. Why not?

Gold is one of the softest and most ductile metals. Pure gold coins scratch and scar very easily unless handled with extreme care. Throughout history gold coins have generally been alloyed with copper or silver, hardening them to withstand circulation. Customers often unwittingly damage pure gold coins and therefore receive up to 5% less for them when they sell. In our opinion the purity of 24 karat gold confers no benefit and in fact often creates drawbacks.

TTAZZMAN
31st March 2008, 01:13
chux ...he is talking about the new SILVER phill....not the gold.....or did i miss the point of your post?

pbmaxb
31st March 2008, 01:50
yes, the silver philharmonic. this is the silver bullion and coins right? moreover, im not going to handle the coins. they come in tubes and there they will stay. maybe it would be worthwhile to have some graded? there aren't any of these coins that are graded for sale yet i dont believe

Leshyj
8th April 2008, 15:02
not much mention of this coin around here... looks beautiful. anyone getting these? i just bought 300! "from the oldest mint in the world"

Yes. Great coins. I have ordered 20 pc. Only sh#@t about them is: there is no carved edge and no purity mentioned upon the coins.

Carved edge is a must for silver bullion coins. Overall very pretty design and good craftsmanship. I like 'em.

buggles
8th April 2008, 16:17
I personally don't care for anything lacking a purity and weight stamp excepting 90% pre-'65 US.

plunge bob
8th April 2008, 16:33
Yes. Great coins. I have ordered 20 pc. Only sh#@t about them is: there is no carved edge and no purity mentioned upon the coins.

Carved edge is a must for silver bullion coins. Overall very pretty design and good craftsmanship. I like 'em.

hi i am new to some of the terms in this game but i have just got 20 silver philies my self and on the back under the organ it boasts 1 oz of fine silver

buggles
8th April 2008, 17:05
but how fine?

TTAZZMAN
8th April 2008, 18:57
it says in austrian "1 ounce finesilver"

fine silver is defined as .999

Leshyj
9th April 2008, 07:35
hi i am new to some of the terms in this game but i have just got 20 silver philies my self and on the back under the organ it boasts 1 oz of fine silver

To be honest, I have began to accumulate silver a few months ago. But in this time, I've done quite much research about this matter.

First of all yes this is the right one: 1 oz fine silver. ( don't mistake with 1 troz ) 1oz=28gr and 1 troz= 31 gr ( to my best knowledge )

Now the edge of the coin: Historicly speaking if the coin had smooth edge, smart-ass guys could scrape metal from the sides ( selling coins with less value ) the sollution to this problem is: carved edge. ( For me very important, for the historical issues )

Second of all the purity: Phillarmonics are ( Gold: .9999 and silver .999 pure ), BUT IT IS NOT MENTIONED ON THE COIN. Very dangerous, to my knowledge. That's why I only mostly accumulate bullion with a clear purity stamped on it. So getting ripped off is becoming more difficult.

In any way, overall the coins are very good. Especially the craftsmanship. Dear fans of the eagles and maples, don't be offended, but objectivelly speaking the Austrians have an advance in design. :)

The only SH@#T is Europe: Monstrously huge taxes on silver and huge commition by the dealers! Aaaarhg!

plunge bob
9th April 2008, 16:08
i have been buying this stuff for a few yrs now got a few oz coins loads of maples and a bunch of austrian coins i only got them because i have not been able to get any maples this yr.
i started on a investment thing then moved to colecting thing then moved to the just beat inflation thing,but on the whole found just get the best deal on what ever you can i only bought a few of the philies just to see what they are like and worth the bit extra over the cost of maples

you are so right the tax sys in the eec is terible when it comes to anything but gold for investment

pbmaxb
9th April 2008, 20:43
http://www.eurocollections.com/images/image.php?image=7152
i didnt think this thread would ever go anywhere....

heres some info from the austrian mint website (from a press article)
austrian-mint.com

The new coin is one troy ounce (31.103 g.) of .999 fine silver. Its design is almost identical to its golden counterparts. Apart from the inscription “1 Unze Feinsilber” under the representation of the organ in the Golden Hall, the word “Silber” appears on the orchestra side of the coin in small lettering above the cluster of musical instruments. The coin also has a smooth edge.

The “Vienna Philharmonic” gold coins have long gained an international reputation for beauty and reliability. The silver “Vienna Philharmonic” is all set to follow in the footsteps of its successful golden counterparts.

offgrid
10th April 2008, 02:06
Government issued, nice coins. Is it me or are the violins bowing to the cello? Who is represented by the cello? Austrian ubermen or Javier Solana?