PDA

View Full Version : Proverb.

Homer
21st May 2009, 18:43
The fool believes that his possessions are worth what he paid for them, but the wise man understands that his are only worth what he can get for them.

maplesilverbug
22nd May 2009, 09:38
Too bad none of us "own" anything; all just long-term renters...

Mylläri
22nd May 2009, 10:15
A very wise proverb that most Americans are blind to. I worked in the vehicle sales industry for a time in my life and let me tell you that most feel they are being cheated if they don't get the trade-in price they want AND the bottom-of-the-barrell price for the vehicle they desire to purchase. Not is not the way any business works, what always amazed me was when someone brought in a vehicle with aftermarket accessories on it and then expected to have that extra cost tacked on to the trade value.

"Uh... you're offering me $5,000 for my trade but you didn't consider that I spent $15,000 in performance parts for my engine... you should be giving me $20,000!!!" :rolleyes:

Ancona
22nd May 2009, 14:09
The fool believes that his possessions are worth what he paid for them, but the wise man knows that they are only worth what he can get for them.

Good post.

I would add that many Americans are still deluded by the bubble prices they paid for their chip-board and stucco cracker boxes. They also forget that the instant you drive off the lot in your brand new $25,000 car, it loses 25% of it's value.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
22nd May 2009, 21:12
The fool believes that his possessions are worth what he paid for them, but the wise man knows that they are only worth what he can get for them.

Is this an original proverb?

SeekrBrnEvryMin
22nd May 2009, 21:14
Too bad none of us "own" anything; all just long-term renters...

However, "ownership" of property grants us the right of deciding who gets it when we die.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
22nd May 2009, 21:18
A very wise proverb that most Americans are blind to. I worked in the vehicle sales industry for a time in my life and let me tell you that most feel they are being cheated if they don't get the trade-in price they want AND the bottom-of-the-barrell price for the vehicle they desire to purchase. Not is not the way any business works, what always amazed me was when someone brought in a vehicle with aftermarket accessories on it and then expected to have that extra cost tacked on to the trade value.

"Uh... you're offering me $5,000 for my trade but you didn't consider that I spent $15,000 in performance parts for my engine... you should be giving me $20,000!!!" :rolleyes:

Gosh, does this ever back up the "proverb" nicely.

If Americans aren't taught the concept of "value" by someone, they learn the hard way, no?

SeekrBrnEvryMin
22nd May 2009, 21:34
Good post.

I would add that many Americans are still deluded by the bubble prices they paid for their chip-board and stucco cracker boxes. They also forget that the instant you drive off the lot in your brand new $25,000 car, it loses 25% of it's value.

The OSB-and-stucco houses: Wait 10 years - the storms they'll suffer. The 2 x 4 framing, well, it IS to code. 2 x 6 studs = Win! 2 x 4 = twisted houses.

You should see the cracks I've seen paved over with tile and carpet.

Cars:

You're right, better to buy good used.

But if I were to buy a 2010 Camaro, I might buy new if I were to keep it forever. (Or a Viper, or Challenger, or Ford GT.)

Homer
22nd May 2009, 21:36
Is this an original proverb?

If by that you mean did I write it, the answer is yes, it is.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
23rd May 2009, 12:23
That's a smart proverb - good on you!

Sure gets ya thinking.