PDA

View Full Version : Buying gold for the first time.

chroNick
13th May 2009, 01:50
I've bought a bit of silver in the past.. but I have no gold, so I thought I should balance my precious metals portfolio a little, and not keed it all in silver.

To any of your guru chartists... should I wait? Has gold been overbought temporarily and in need of a correction?

What are the odds of the IMF raising capital by selling their gold?

Cup-of-Ruin
13th May 2009, 02:53
I've bought a bit of silver in the past.. but I have no gold, so I thought I should balance my precious metals portfolio a little, and not keed it all in silver.

To any of your guru chartists... should I wait? Has gold been overbought temporarily and in need of a correction?

What are the odds of the IMF raising capital by selling their gold?

Every time that the IMF has sold a significant load of Gold the price has actually gone up, every time they announce they are going to sell Gold, there is only a very short term downward move in price before going staight back up again, we just saw this again recently. Not long after they announced they would sell 400 tons, the Chinese and Russians said they would like it if the IMF sold ALL of their reserves. Now that is 'calling a bluff'!

There is a war on at the moment, with silver and gold on one side and all fiat paper currency on the other, the choice is yours as to which side you want to cast your lot in with.

ccjoe
13th May 2009, 09:03
My 14 year old son makes fun of me for "buying high and selling low" as I got creamed in the real estate by buying in 2005-2007 when I thought the bottom had hit. Buying gold in the 900's is crazy as the all time high is only in the low 1000's. You would be buying high. I do think that gold will hit 5K an oz. but not for a while. Buy silver in the low teens as the all time high is 50. That is obviously the smart play which luckily few people are aware of.

Steadfast
13th May 2009, 10:55
When gold rises 1%
Silver usually goes up 2.3%

I traded all my gold for silver when the gold/silver ratio was 1/72!
That was two weeks ago!
Now it is 1/64...
For every gold coin I traded, I have made the financial equivalent of 8oz. of free silver.

Buy silver for now!
I would wait (and have) on buying gold until the silver gold spread ratio closes more!

And, when that ratio closes to 1/30, I will trade my silver in for gold
and net 2oz. of gold for each 1oz. I traded off earlier.

Can you say "Cha-ching!"

chroNick
13th May 2009, 11:34
When gold rises 1%
Silver usually goes up 2.3%

I traded all my gold for silver when the gold/silver ratio was 1/72!
That was two weeks ago!
Now it is 1/64...
For every gold coin I traded, I have made the financial equivalent of 8oz. of free silver.

Buy silver for now!
I would wait (and have) on buying gold until the silver gold spread ratio closes more!

And, when that ratio closes to 1/30, I will trade my silver in for gold
and net 2oz. of gold for each 1oz. I traded off earlier.

Can you say "Cha-ching!"

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the ratio has been floating around 1:15 to 1:20 forever until the 1970's...

Steadfast
13th May 2009, 11:52
Correct me if i'm wrong, but the ratio has been floating around 1:15 to 1:20 forever until the 1970's...

You are Correct sir!
except it was the early 1960s

pmstacker
13th May 2009, 14:59
Whats more likely to happen? Gold to 5000/oz or Silver to 75/oz? To me its obvious silver stands a better chance of making the move quicker than gold.

LETMYSILVERGO
13th May 2009, 16:54
Have U Lost Your Mind????

Like Me??

Just Buy Silver, It Is Still F----------------------------kin'' Cheap.

Don't Mess With No Gold. -- Get About 500 Lbs Of Silver And Sit Tight.

chroNick
14th May 2009, 01:11
Have U Lost Your Mind????

Like Me??

Just Buy Silver, It Is Still F----------------------------kin'' Cheap.

Don't Mess With No Gold. -- Get About 500 Lbs Of Silver And Sit Tight.

Maybe I have, lol... But still.. I think its smart to own SOME gold.. and yes, I do think that silver is cheaper, better, and will rise faster.. but what IF, IF, some unforeseeable event happens making gold better? What IF we go back to the bartering system and they ONLY accept gold.. i dunno... and maybe gold will get more expensive and silver will get cheaper, enabling me to change some of that gold to silver and make even more money..

Steadfast
14th May 2009, 08:11
hello everyone
There are theoretical situations where the Adventurer might be better in terms of pure expected return, but in reality I don't think these would come up. The Gold is better in terms of expected treasure value, and also doesn't cost your action to give it to you.

Also, remember, Rome did NOT fall in a day...
it took years to fall, as it would America.

And if America fell you would see silver go up much faster then gold over that time. Halfway through that fall, after the silver had closed in on gold (20/1), would be the best time to switch to gold, if you feared mobility due to weight issues.