PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Store Your Silver?

Willie Hunter
3rd May 2009, 14:01
I have mine in a large gun safe that took 6 guys to move into our new house.

I bought 400 ounces from a guy in Florida that had his setting on a shelf, seemed odd to me.

maplesilverbug
3rd May 2009, 14:32
I have mine in a large gun safe that took 6 guys to move into our new house.

I bought 400 ounces from a guy in Florida that had his setting on a shelf, seemed odd to me.

Yeah, well...there's an ark-load of odd people out there.

I store my silver in a cardboard box, guarded by my 10-lb. shi tzu. Think I'm kidding? Just try and get at it...

There is a distinction between shelf and cardboard box guys, and the "gun safe" crowed: they both believe in the power of silver (and PM's), but differ in their SHTF beliefs (ie. mobs, looters, social unrest, etc.).

I've read the statement, "If you can afford to buy silver, you can afford to buy a safe." I think that is true. I'm saving up to buy a safe, but I still don't put much stock in the looting mob scenario. If a regular burglar broke into my house, he would have to search high and low to even try and find my stash...then he would have to find some way of carrying all of it off!

Personal preferences. Nothing wrong with doing whatever makes you sleep at night.

Steadfast
4th May 2009, 13:12
I have mine hidden in plan sight...
It just LOOKS like something else... something boring and of zero value...

And in my sock drawer, I have my "rip me off stash":
consisting of a bunch of fake silver pandas, gold painted foreign coins, and a roll of silver edge painted normal half dollars tucked into a bright RED sock... that screems "Looky here! steal me! steal me!"

It is the same concept as carrying a hidden money belt tucked inside your pants and a bright red "mug me" wallet in your back pocket, while travelling abroad.

You see, Most thieves are stupid and in a hurry.
If they find something "shinny", they usually get all giddy, stop searching, grab it, and run!

Duh! :rolleyes:
Enjoy trying to cash THAT out at the local pawn shop... Ha ha ha!

SilverJim
4th May 2009, 13:52
Interesting topic for me. I have a safe in a closet that I've had for years. Bolted down and all. Could be taken with 2 guys and a lot of work. Then I got an idea after seeing the movie "Swordfish". Great movie IMO. Misdirection was the theme. I just finished putting in a second hidden safe and it now holds da booty! You'd never suspect where it is let alone that I have 2 of them. Cost very little.

Psalm 12:6
4th May 2009, 17:24
In plastic coffee cans, in a place that I believe would be very, very hard to find and would require a ladder if you were to even see the secret hiding spot!
Too much time and work involved in getting it out.
Also it's hidden inside the secret hiding spot.
And only my mommy knows where it is :)

akak
4th May 2009, 17:53
Silver? Who owns silver? Certainly not moi!
Nope, no use searching my home for any silver!
Any government agents or burglars would just be wasting their time!

:cool:

Psalm 12:6
4th May 2009, 18:06
In plastic coffee cans, in a place that I believe would be very, very hard to find and would require a ladder if you were to even see the secret hiding spot!
Too much time and work involved in getting it out.
Also it's hidden inside the secret hiding spot.
And only my mommy knows where it is :)

I am talking about wheat, rice, sugar, cheerios, powdered milk and loly pops, not silver, I wouldn't waste my time or money on that garbage.

Bigheadt
6th May 2009, 13:00
I have mine hidden in plan sight...
It just LOOKS like something else... something boring and of zero value...

And in my sock drawer, I have my "rip me off stash":
consisting of a bunch of fake silver pandas, gold painted foreign coins, and a roll of silver edge painted normal half dollars tucked into a bright RED sock... that screems "Looky here! steal me! steal me!"

It is the same concept as carrying a hidden money belt tucked inside your pants and a bright red "mug me" wallet in your back pocket, while travelling abroad.

If they find something "shinny", they usually get all giddy, stop searching, grab it, and run!

Duh! :rolleyes:
Enjoy trying to cash THAT out at the local pawn shop... Ha ha ha!
"Rip off stash" with fakes is a good idea, I always wondered why the people selling fakes and advertising them as such would even bother selling it ; now I know at least one reason why. :lol:

hiyosilver
7th May 2009, 22:42

thieves aren't the only ones...............btw, how did you get those fakes?.............oh, yeah, I remember.....:)

theo68
8th May 2009, 00:02
I have about ten different hiding places along with a "rip me off stash" in the bedroom (which I refer to as my spoof box). If you are in my house, you are rarely more ten feet away from some silver. It would require a systematic ransacking of my place by somebody who knows what they are looking for to find a significant percentage of my stash. My wife is worried that I might end up forgetting where the coins are. This is certainly a possibility, so I have them written down in a semi-coded manner.

Safes, even if bolted down, worry me as they advertise the existence and location of your valuables. True, a thief is unlikely to move or open your safe, but the wrong kind of thief can certainly threaten you or (worse yet) your loved ones for the combination. If I had a safe, it would have to be very well hidden.

Steadfast
8th May 2009, 07:23
thieves aren't the only ones...............btw, how did you get those fakes?.............oh, yeah, I remember.....:)

he he he
touche'... :rolleyes:

theo68
8th May 2009, 18:59
I have about ten different hiding places along with a "rip me off stash" in the bedroom (which I refer to as my spoof box). If you are in my house, you are rarely more ten feet away from some silver. It would require a systematic ransacking of my place by somebody who knows what they are looking for to find a significant percentage of my stash. My wife is worried that I might end up forgetting where the coins are. This is certainly a possibility, so I have them written down in a semi-coded manner.

Safes, even if bolted down, worry me as they advertise the existence and location of your valuables. True, a thief is unlikely to move or open your safe, but the wrong kind of thief can certainly threaten you or (worse yet) your loved ones for the combination. If I had a safe, it would have to be very well hidden.

silvertooth
26th May 2009, 12:51
I heard that the least likely place a thief will be searching is a childs room. Most parents are not going to put valuables in there. Needless to say my stash is hidden there.

Prospector
7th June 2009, 21:16
I lost all my silver in a baking accident. But before that I used to keep it in a bucket with nuts and bolts on top. Anything in a case went into my box of Christmas ornaments.

A cheap safe is a billboard saying "STEAL ME!" An adequate safe weighs at least two tons and has a round door. A square door can be chiseled off in a couple of hours. The best safe is set in the floor with concrete around it. If you want to go low cost, consider a gun safe bolted to the floor of your garage with a wooden cabinet built around it and a cheap padlock on the cabinet. It looks like nothing more than garden tools. But you have to have a lot of metals to justify any of that.

If you have a basement, consider a cleanout plug which you can get at any plumbing supply store or most hardware stores. That is a quite ordinary looking item to have on a basement wall and it can conceal a rather large amount of metal. Nobody is going to think to open a sewer fitting to check for valuables. If your stash is not so large, go with the nuts & bolts or the Christmas ornaments.