PDA

View Full Version : Are SAEs with white stuff all over it worth anything?

CrazyFoool
29th April 2009, 05:11
I'm not much of a coin collector but I have this roll of 1991 silver american eagles with some sort of white stuff on it...is this what toning is? Im looking to sell it off but don't know how much I can fetch for them since it has this stuff on it. any idea?

goldminer
29th April 2009, 07:07
Soak and if necessary gently wash them in a solution of good grease-cutting dish detergent and hot water. If this doesn't work then soak them in Acetone for a few mintues, then rinse them off in warm water & a bitr of dish detergent.

fullsafe
29th April 2009, 07:11
If it comes off after flushing with tap water, just dry them well and sell them if that was your intention. Toniing is a "darkening" of the coin surface most fequently fom tarnishing of some kind. Silver is so chemically reactive that it can tarnish from exposure to many things. Since you're talking ASE's that have little numismatic value , the discoloration should have little effect on the selling price as most people by them as bullion anyway. I don't remember any unusal traits about 91's that would give them any value beyond bullion but if there is I'm sure someone will correct me!

CrazyFoool
2nd May 2009, 06:37
If it comes off after flushing with tap water, just dry them well and sell them if that was your intention. Toniing is a "darkening" of the coin surface most fequently fom tarnishing of some kind. Silver is so chemically reactive that it can tarnish from exposure to many things. Since you're talking ASE's that have little numismatic value , the discoloration should have little effect on the selling price as most people by them as bullion anyway. I don't remember any unusal traits about 91's that would give them any value beyond bullion but if there is I'm sure someone will correct me!

if its just bullion, why are these things usually a few dollars over spot?

really wondering...its clear i dont' know much about anything. lol

also, whats this white stuff called?

mellows
2nd May 2009, 10:27
I was going to say, It depends on what the white stuff is!

akak
2nd May 2009, 14:54

Maybe somebody was a little TOO much in love with their silver?

:p

maplesilverbug
2nd May 2009, 15:17
Maybe somebody was a little TOO much in love with their silver?

Thing is....if you've thought it, sure as $hit someone has done it! Ew.

mellows
2nd May 2009, 22:47
Good way to keep track of your silver, leave alittle DNA.

mark2112gum
2nd May 2009, 23:10
There Government/Country guaranteed.