PDA

View Full Version : Coin roll Hunting

theelementofone
23rd April 2009, 08:31
Ok, so not many people talk about this. But does anyone else coin roll hunt? If so any good finds as of late? Just ordered a Box of halfs from the bank, hopin I get lucky.

LoboNoches
23rd April 2009, 09:53
Ok, so not many people talk about this. But does anyone else coin roll hunt? If so any good finds as of late? Just ordered a Box of halfs from the bank, hopin I get lucky.

I've heard a lot of people discuss coin roll hunting here I have not tried it yet.I guess being a newbie I assumed that all rolls would be new coins

MODERN DAY MINER
23rd April 2009, 11:05
I have done quite a bit of coin roll hunting. I go through 8 to 10 boxes of halves per week. I found my 800th silver half dollar last week. I have found approx 160 oz of silver just in half dollars. I have been coin roll hunting for about 8 months now.

LoboNoches
23rd April 2009, 11:16
I have done quite a bit of coin roll hunting. I go through 8 to 10 boxes of halves per week. I found my 800th silver half dollar last week. I have found approx 160 oz of silver just in half dollars. I have been coin roll hunting for about 8 months now.

Wow ok obviously I been missing out so how the hell do I get rolls of halves and what years am i looking for

MODERN DAY MINER
23rd April 2009, 11:23
I have several differant banks order them for me.
$1000 at a time. The key to coin roll hunting (imop) is to make sure you have plenty of dump banks. A dump bank is a bank with the coin counting machine in it. Coin roll hunting is hard to do without those banks. I have a network of about 20 banks that I use. You don't want to sump your coins off at the same bank more than once a week. I did that inthe beginning and was asked not to bring any more halves in to that bank. But once I got my netwrok of banks going it has been pretty easy.

The boxes that I go through sometimes you get skunked and sometimes I find anywhere from 5 up to 50 silver halves. You just half to keep plugging away.

LoboNoches
23rd April 2009, 11:32
$1000 at a time. The key to coin roll hunting (imop) is to make sure you have plenty of dump banks. A dump bank is a bank with the coin counting machine in it. Coin roll hunting is hard to do without those banks. I have a network of about 20 banks that I use. You don't want to sump your coins off at the same bank more than once a week. I did that inthe beginning and was asked not to bring any more halves in to that bank. But once I got my netwrok of banks going it has been pretty easy.

The boxes that I go through sometimes you get skunked and sometimes I find anywhere from 5 up to 50 silver halves. You just half to keep plugging away.

Sweet only problem I see is that I don't have anywhere near a grand to get a box.Do the banks do smaller (couple hundred)type lots to look through and what years am I looking for

MODERN DAY MINER
23rd April 2009, 11:47
Wow ok obviously I been missing out so how the hell do I get rolls of halves and what years am i looking for

Sweet only problem I see is that I don't have anywhere near a grand to get a box.Do the banks do smaller (couple hundred)type lots to look through and what years am I looking for

They have to order them $500 at a time that is how many come in a box.
You are looking for anything 1970 and older. The bulk of what I find is 67 and 68 kennedys. You will mostly find the 40% halves but there are still quite a few 90% halves out there as well. I have around 630 40% halves and 180 90% halves.

Steadfast
23rd April 2009, 12:06
How do you do this? do you just walk into any bank and say "hey i need $500 bucks worth of 50 cent peices...?"

What about $1 coins?

MODERN DAY MINER
23rd April 2009, 12:19
How do you do this? do you just walk into any bank and say "hey i need $500 bucks worth of 50 cent peices...?"

What about $1 coins?

I would just call your bank first and ask if they have any in stock. if they don't ask them to order you some. Then I wold call each branch that was close by and do the same thing. Be sure to ask if they have those coin counting machines. Then I would find a differant bank that has plenty of branches with coin counting machines and set up an account there. Usually you can set up a cheap no fees checking account for $25. I haven't tried any one dollar coins yet. i was thinking of trying to order some ike dollars I've heard that there are still some 40% still out there. But I'm finding so many of the halves (and trying to go through so many) that don't have time yet for dollars.

theelementofone
23rd April 2009, 12:50
Been alot of good questions, glad a put this one up. I have been roll hunting for 6months, some decent finds. MY favorite is finding a walker in the mix!! Its fun Just remember re-mark your rolls after you are done, so that that other hunters know that that one has been searched!!

Argyria
23rd April 2009, 21:32

Out of those 800, how many are 90% and how many are 40%? And if you happen to know, how many of the 90% are Kennedys, Franklins, and Walkers?

Kinda curious about the statistical breakdown since you have a very large sample size to work with.

maplesilverbug
23rd April 2009, 22:31

That is an approximate 0.27% "success" rate.

He's legit too:

180 90%'s (180 x 0.36169 oz net silver) = 65 oz
630 40%'s (630 x 0.14792 oz net silver) = 93 oz
Total Net Silver = 158 oz

Not a bad part-time job!

Check out Silver Content in US Coins (http://goldismoney.info/forums/archive/index.php/t-12125.html) for those who want to start hunting.

MODERN DAY MINER
23rd April 2009, 23:18
Out of those 800, how many are 90% and how many are 40%? And if you happen to know, how many of the 90% are Kennedys, Franklins, and Walkers?

Kinda curious about the statistical breakdown since you have a very large sample size to work with.

I have found
135 - 64 kennedys
27 - franklins
12 - walking libertys

The next toughest to find is the 40% 1965 kennedy.
I only have 43 of those.

fansubs_ca
24th April 2009, 02:27
You just half to keep plugging away.

So was that a typo or an intentional pun. ;)

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 07:23
What a great idea!
I am going to do it!

So which has the higher ratio of silver coins per 1000 coins?
50 cent coins or $1 coins???

MODERN DAY MINER
24th April 2009, 10:41
What a great idea!
I am going to do it!

So which has the higher ratio of silver coins per 1000 coins?
50 cent coins or $1 coins???

I'm not sure which one has the higher silver coin content.
I have only looked through the half dollars so far.

MODERN DAY MINER
24th April 2009, 10:42
So was that a typo or an intentional pun. ;)

Yeah...Sorry that was just a typo.

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 12:25
I just talked to a local coin shope Guru,
who told me that searching $1 coins will be futal...
That there is a much greater chance in finding silver by ordering 50 cent coins.

Soooo, I think I will order some "half coins" and give it a shot...

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 14:13
Ok I just ordered 2000 coins...

Soooo, one more time... what am I looking for?

What years of US 50 cent coins carry what % of silver?
can ya "break it down" my brother!

MODERN DAY MINER
24th April 2009, 14:21
Ok I just ordered 2000 coins...

Soooo, one more time... what am I looking for?

What years of US 50 cent coins carry what % of silver?
can ya "break it down" my brother!

Good luck. Let us know what you find.
You are looking for 1970 and older.
YOu won't have to look at each date you just open the roll look at the side of each coin and you can tell which ones are silver. They stick out like a sore thumb.

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 14:25
Good luck. Let us know what you find.
You are looking for 1970 and older.
YOu won't have to look at each date you just open the roll look at the side of each coin and you can tell which ones are silver. They stick out like a sore thumb.

In what way do they stick out?
I really need a "retarded newby" lesson here...

I am getting a fifty pound "unrolled bag" of them...

MODERN DAY MINER
24th April 2009, 14:26
In what way do they stick out?
I really need a "retarded newby" lesson here...

I am getting a fifty pound "unrolled bag" of them...

do you have any other silver coins?

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 14:28
only bullion:
kooks, eagle, pandas, maples, and rounds...

which ones are 90%, 40%, ect...

MODERN DAY MINER
24th April 2009, 14:32
only bullion:
kooks, eagle, pandas, maples, and rounds...

If you look at the side of your silver eagles or other bullion coins they have the same look as silver coins in circulation. Coins that they mint today have a copper look on the edge not that white silver look that silver coins have. Put one of your eagles in a stack of todays coins and you will see what I am talking about. Thats how easy it is to pick out silver coins.

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 14:33
Cool!

and what are they roughly worth?

MODERN DAY MINER
24th April 2009, 14:36
Cool!

and what are they roughly worth?

1964 and older are 90%
and 1965 to 1970 are 40%
I have also found some 1976 40% proofs but these are very few and far between. I have 2

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 14:42
This is going to be FUN!

Bullitt
24th April 2009, 14:45
I will be interested to find out just how much fun it was when you roll the last one out of the bag HA HA

MODERN DAY MINER
24th April 2009, 14:46
This is going to be FUN!

I don't want you to get your hopes to quickly. Some of the batches (1 batch equals $1000) I go through don't have any in them but then sometimes there can be as many as 50 in one box. You just never know. I found 2 walking libertys,2 ben franklins and 3 40% in my very first box, so I have been hooked ever since then.

Steadfast
24th April 2009, 14:48
My wife is like "You needed another hobby besides chasing me around the house, anyway." :rolleyes:

LoboNoches
24th April 2009, 15:20
My wife is like "You needed another hobby besides chasing me around the house, anyway." :rolleyes:

LOL I just found a local bank that is willing to get me small batches of $100 each I'm looking forward to it too.I need a hobbie anyway

SeekrBrnEvryMin
24th April 2009, 18:48
I cruised around this afternoon and stopped at all the banks asking for bulk half dollars. No luck, either they shipped them back to the Federal Reserve or "some guy was in here yesterday and cleaned us out."

Some of them offered to ship me some if I opened an account. The credit union I "bank" with won't do it.

Wonder what the most efficient way to get my hands on halves is. Thoughts?

maplesilverbug
24th April 2009, 19:07
Did you guys pay attention to the stats?

Assuming the same success ratio as MDM (0.27%), you will find ONE (1) silver coin in every THREE HUNDRED and SEVENTY (370).

There are twenty (20) half-dollars in each roll which means you will have to break open eighteen and a half (18.5) rolls to strike one (1) silver coin.

Still using MDM's stats, that one (1) silver coin will either be a '40' (78% chance) or a '90' (22% chance).

My probability skills are a little rusty so I couldn't tell you how many rolls/coins you would have to go though before you found your first '90', but it's probably a LOT!

If you find tedious labour "fun", then you should have a blast doing this. That said, all this requires is time for "free" money.

SeekrBrnEvryMin
24th April 2009, 20:46
Did you guys pay attention to the stats?

Assuming the same success ratio as MDM (0.27%), you will find ONE (1) silver coin in every THREE HUNDRED and SEVENTY (370).

There are twenty (20) half-dollars in each roll which means you will have to break open eighteen and a half (18.5) rolls to strike one (1) silver coin.

Still using MDM's stats, that one (1) silver coin will either be a '40' (78% chance) or a '90' (22% chance).

My probability skills are a little rusty so I couldn't tell you how many rolls/coins you would have to go though before you found your first '90', but it's probably a LOT!

If you find tedious labour "fun", then you should have a blast doing this. That said, all this requires is time for "free" money.

When I was kid, my Mom saved all the labels off the dog food cans. On the back side, there was a coupon that benefitted Seeing Eye Dogs for the Blind. Our job on a rainy Saturday afternoon was to cut the rest of the label away from the coupon so she could mail them in.

My parents were well off, so why should we bother? Probably thrift principles handed down from her depression-era parents.

So, why not? Sometimes, if you're like me, and you always ask yourself, "
What's the best use of my time?" Well, sometimes it's just nice to **** a nice day away.

LoboNoches
24th April 2009, 23:04
When I was kid, my Mom saved all the labels off the dog food cans. On the back side, there was a coupon that benefitted Seeing Eye Dogs for the Blind. Our job on a rainy Saturday afternoon was to cut the rest of the label away from the coupon so she could mail them in.

My parents were well off, so why should we bother? Probably thrift principles handed down from her depression-era parents.

So, why not? Sometimes, if you're like me, and you always ask yourself, "
What's the best use of my time?" Well, sometimes it's just nice to **** a nice day away.

Good point.My friends told me I was crazy for trying it but what the hell how long can it take to crack rolls open.I'll be one laughing later

theelementofone
25th April 2009, 08:42
Well got me a box (500 dollars worth for you newbies). Found five 40% in there, thats 1 every 100.00 pretty good. Going again next week.

Steadfast
26th April 2009, 17:39
ordered mine on friday.
I get a "2000 count" bag on tuesday....

I will tell you how it worked out soon!

Wooohooo!

maplesilverbug
28th April 2009, 19:50
Ok, so not many people talk about this. But does anyone else coin roll hunt? If so any good finds as of late?

I was skeptical (because that's just the way I am!) about "roll hunting", for many reasons, but I thought I would give it a try any way (I'm also all about free money). I should mention that I am in Canada so dimes and quarters are about the easiest rolls/junk to hunt through.

In the last week I did eight (8) rolls of dimes (400 coins) -- two batches of four ($20 outlay). Roll #5 = one 80%; roll #6 and #8 = one 50% each. Grand total = 0.14 ounces and a 0.75% success rate.

It's no winning lotto ticket, but it is, for all intents and purposes, free silver. Gotta love that. Also love the fact that I'm removing silver from the banking system! (even a 50% dime is worth over 500% more than a current dime!) The day has finally come when it is I who is screwing the banks and tax man!

A lot of people (Americans) complain about the "ugly bag" on Canadian coins (re the Queen!) but one thing she is good for is making hunting very easy. I skip the year completely and just look for the corresponding 'bust'. Makes for fast work.

I'll give quarters a go next.

On second thought...to all you burgeoning Canadian hunters out there -- don't do it! Be a good citizen and leave silver in the system! Besides, it's a LOT of work! Yikes! It's almost more work than your day job! Stay on the couch and watch CSI...it's guaranteed to make you much happier. ;)

maplesilverbug
29th April 2009, 19:22
Just did another four (4) rolls of dimes:
Five 50%; one 80%.

Also four (4) rolls of quarters:
One 50%.
(plus a really weird feeling '69)

Grand total so far:
Dimes -- 12 rolls; 2 @ 80%; 7 @ 50% = 11.8g
Quarters -- 4 rolls; 1 @ 50% = 2.9g
Total ounces = 0.5

I can only say that this experiment has been very eye opening for me. I am sure my "beginner's luck" will run dry at some point, but a half ounce of FREE silver is nothing to snort at!

Another...ahem...silver lining to roll hunting in Canada is finding all the American coins (about 1.5% of my dime rolls have been US coinage). Keep them all, make American rolls and cash those in for an automatic 15-20% return! Then go buy silver! Thanks America! I'm using your own crappy money to give me free silver! Ha!

paddlepower
29th April 2009, 21:08
So I was intrigued by this idea so on a whim I asked the bank at the local supermarket if they had any half rolls. They said they had 3 but the vault was locked and I would have to come back. Well, my wife stopped in today and picked up the three rolls. The teller was happy to get rid of them. The first one out of the first roll was a 40%, followed by the rest of the roll. Yeah I was psyched. Same with the next roll exept for 1 coin. And the final roll was all newer. So 39 40% coins for 3 rolls seems to be a good start;) I'm hooked! Bring them on!

Steadfast
30th April 2009, 07:12
Soooo, i get a call from the bank... and today not tuesday is the day I get my 2000 coin, 50 pound, bag "O" 50 sent pieces...

meanwhile, You guys are killing me with all these stories....

maplesilverbug
30th April 2009, 08:20
Soooo, i get a call from the bank... and today not tuesday is the day I get my 2000 coin, 50 pound, bag "O" 50 sent pieces...

Good luck. Do you know if the bank will buy back your non-silver halves?

I've gone through 760 coins thus far and have found 10 silvers = 1.3% success rate. I say you find anywhere from 5 to 25 silvers. Let us know!

Your 50 pound bag made me think of how awfully cumbersome being rich back in the day (I mean waaaay back!) must have been! And also how poor thieves must have been -- who could steal more than a few pounds at a time? Well, poor or exceptionally strong.

MODERN DAY MINER
30th April 2009, 09:42

Here is anopther story to get you jazzed up. I went through $1000 on tuesday and found ...

2 walking libertys
1 - 64 kennedy
8 - 40% halves

about 2.25 ounces of silver.
not to shabby

Steadfast
30th April 2009, 18:36
Well!
my fingers are gray!
my neck is sore...
and for some reason, I have this strange bitter taste in my mouth.

BUT....

in my first 2000 coin bag of fifty cent pieces..

I pulled:
13 Kennedy coins 1969-1965!
Thatís 40%

My local coin store will pay $1.20 each
Thatís $15.60!!!
That's a free 1 oz. coin...

---------------------------------

I also now have a 50 cent walker!
she is 1917-D in "good" condition according to the book.
(it has a clear rim, "E Pluribus Unum" & "in God we trust" can be clearly read)
The "D" is located under the eagle.

What do you guys think it maybe worth?

---------------------------------------

I found well over 50 bicentennial coins.
However, 7-9 of them look and feel like they are silver too...
They are marked differntly too, All of them have no "dot/star" under Kennedyís head.

Are they silver or am I hallucinating.

BTW: what do we do with these once we have them?

paddlepower
30th April 2009, 20:19
Sorry, I know I just posted great results yesterday, but today I got 4 more rolls from a local bank and found 7 more 40% halves. Plus one of the banks let me look through the 5 in her drawer and found one there! Ok sorry for all the gloating but I am 100% hooked:D

maplesilverbug
30th April 2009, 22:13
I pulled:
13 Kennedy coins 1969-1965!
Thatís 40%

My local coin store will pay $1.20 each
Thatís $15.60!!!
That's a free 1 oz. coin...

Great...except 13 '65-'70 Kennedy's contain almost 2 ounces of silver (1.9 troy ounces). Factoring in a 2% circulation loss, that's still about 1.88 troy ounces. Your coin store is ripping you off by at least 40%. Hold onto them and keep shopping around for buyers who will pay for the SILVER and not just the coin.

(I was right in my prediction, that you would net 5-25 coins -- 13 is almost right in the middle! Almost...)

My Round #3:
16 rolls dimes: Four 50%'s (0.37 oz).
Totals:
Dimes: 28 rolls (1400 coins) -- 11 50%'s; 2 80%; = (0.51 oz)
Quarters: 4 rolls (160 coins) -- 1 50%; = (0.09 oz)

Steadfast
30th April 2009, 22:34
I have ordered another bag that will come in next week...

Now, i just gotta hit my banks coin return machines...
and NOT get tossed out on my ear.. :rolleyes:

fansubs_ca
1st May 2009, 00:56
I have ordered another bag that will come in next week...

Now, i just gotta hit my banks coin return machines...
and NOT get tossed out on my ear.. :rolleyes:

I'd recommend cashing in at a separate bank than you picked up at so that:

#1: You reduce the chances of getting the same coins over again.
#2: Less likely they'll get annoyed and/or uncooperative.

You could also spend the left over coins but when you have just under
$1000 worth to unload that would take a long time to use up buying milk,
coffee, lunch, etc. Also too cumbersome for paying larger things like
utility bills. Though it could be good to keep some for spending, get them
out there into circulation and have clerks and or the other store customers
who get them in change have something interesting to see. ^_^ (I've met
bank tellers that don't know what a 50 cent piece is!)

maplesilverbug
2nd May 2009, 16:10
Round #4:
16 rolls dimies: six 50%'s (0.22 oz)

As an added bonus, four (4) of the sixteen (16) rolls were 100% US dimes. I sold them back to the bank at their 1.15% US$/C$ exchange rate! A 15% return for doing nada, and worth approx 1/4 oz silver -- almost better than finding real silver!

Totals:
Dimes: 44 rolls (2200 coins) -- 17 50%'s; 2 80%'s; = (0.748 oz)
(all calculations factor a 1.2% loss from circulation)

So...my success rate (SR) per coin is around 0.84%. Modern Day Miner, with 810 silvers, comes in at 0.27%.

His 40% halves contain four times the silver as my 50% dimes, but my SR is just over three times his. If the trend continues, and if I hunt as many coins as MDM, I will have approx. 2,430 dimes of assorted %'s, containing 40 oz. of silver.

Another way to look at it, MDM has hunted between 256K-320K coins (av. 288,000). Thus, 288K @ 0.84% SR = 2,419 silvers.

It's a long way to go. One week has netted me barely 3/4 oz! I need an 80% jackpot roll!

Willie Hunter
2nd May 2009, 16:15
Round #4:
16 rolls dimies: six 50%'s (0.22 oz)

As an added bonus, four (4) of the sixteen (16) rolls were 100% US dimes. I sold them back to the bank at their 1.15% US$/C$ exchange rate! A 15% return for doing nada, and worth approx 1/4 oz silver -- almost better than finding real silver!

Totals:
Dimes: 44 rolls (2200 coins) -- 17 50%'s; 2 80%'s; = (0.748 oz)
(all calculations factor a 1.2% loss from circulation)

So...my success rate (SR) per coin is around 0.84%. Modern Day Miner, with 810 silvers, comes in at 0.27%.

His 40% halves contain four times the silver as my 50% dimes, but my SR is just over three times his. If the trend continues, and if I hunt as many coins as MDM, I will have approx. 2,430 dimes of assorted %'s, containing 40 oz. of silver.

Another way to look at it, MDM has hunted between 256K-320K coins (av. 288,000). Thus, 288K @ 0.84% SR = 2,419 silvers.

It's a long way to go. One week has netted me barely 3/4 oz! I need an 80% jackpot roll!

So at the end of the day your time sorting through these coins is of no value?

maplesilverbug
2nd May 2009, 16:36
So at the end of the day your time sorting through these coins is of no value?

It's not "of no value". There is obvious value found (fractional ounces of silver), the question is if it's worth my time to keep hunting. I could go out tomorrow and buy 40 oz. of silver (Maples) for $800.

I could just work a few hours of overtime at work and buy the silver directly... or keep hunting? I'll probably keep hunting as a part-time hobby, instead of spending hours running around to different banks and branches and sifting through hundreds of dirty coins a day.

What I do enjoy about hunting is basically the "treasure hunt" aspect of it. Finding real silver buried in (almost) broad daylight. Another thing I get a kick out of is taking "real money" straight out of the hands of grubby bankers.

Just think, if I'm finding 0.75 ounces of silver a week...let's say there is a mere 500 people across the country (Canada) doing the same. That's a removal of 8,840 ounces of silver (U$110,500) from bank (and taxman) coffers a year! A tiny drop yes, but I like to think of it as a spit in their collective eye!

But that's just crazy me.

Willie Hunter
2nd May 2009, 16:43
It's not "of no value". There is obvious value found (fractional ounces of silver), the question is if it's worth my time to keep hunting. I could go out tomorrow and buy 40 oz. of silver (Maples) for $800.

I could just work a few hours of overtime at work and buy the silver directly... or keep hunting? I'll probably keep hunting as a part-time hobby, instead of spending hours running around to different banks and branches and sifting through hundreds of dirty coins a day.

What I do enjoy about hunting is basically the "treasure hunt" aspect of it. Finding real silver buried in (almost) broad daylight. Another thing I get a kick out of is taking "real money" straight out of the hands of grubby bankers.

Just think, if I'm finding 0.75 ounces of silver a week...let's say there is a mere 500 people across the country (Canada) doing the same. That's a removal of 8,840 ounces of silver (U$110,500) from bank coffers a year! A tiny drop yes, but I like to think of it as a spit in their collective eye!

But that's just crazy me.

If you enjoy it, good for you.

BiscuitHead
4th May 2009, 09:49
I'm new to this forum, but after reading this thread I got my first $250 in halves. I found 5 40% Kennedys and 1 walking liberty half. That's over 1 oz of silver for free. It didn't take long to go through the coins either, and it was a lot more fun and productive for me than watching a 30 minute TV show.

I will be getting $500 this weekend. I hope it goes as well as the first batch.

maplesilverbug
5th May 2009, 18:35
Round #5:
15 rolls dimes: seven 50%'s (0.26 oz)

Totals:
(all calculations factor a 1.2% circulation)

Dimes: 59 rolls (2950 coins) -- 24 50%'s; 2 80%'s; = (1.0 oz)

Success Rate: per coin = 0.86%; per roll = 42.8%

I'm at 1% of my hunt goal!
Woo hoo!

Steadfast
6th May 2009, 19:36
I just searched another 2000 count bag of half dollars and found:

Nadda!

Zeltch!

Zip!

:mad:

maplesilverbug
6th May 2009, 20:20
I just searched another 2000 count bag of half dollars and found:

Nadda!

Zeltch!

Zip!

You've searched 4000 coins and found 2 ounces.
I've searched 3100 coins and found 1 ounce.

You've a 0.325% success -- better than Modern Day Miner: 0.27% success in approx. 300,000 coins! Remember, he's found 158 ounces of silver.
Don't worry about it.

The bad thing about being in Canada is that I can't get rolls/bags of halves from the bank, ergo, I can't find silver Canadian halves which have 9.5x more silver content than dimes (0.29 troy ounce vs. 0.037 troy ounce). Have to sift 10 times as many dime rolls to find the same amount of silver.

I guess the good thing about being in Canada is that I can still find plenty of silver in the rolls I do get. The lower population is a plus for me, less people hunting.

We will see where this goes...

fansubs_ca
7th May 2009, 02:45
I guess the good thing about being in Canada is that I can still find plenty of silver in the rolls I do get. The lower population is a plus for me, less people hunting.

Speaking of which what part of the country are you in? I'm curious if I have
any coin hunting competition in MB. ;-)

maplesilverbug
7th May 2009, 08:58
Speaking of which what part of the country are you in? I'm curious if I have
any coin hunting competition in MB. ;-)

Get yer grubby hands off my rolls!

I'm West Coast, end of the line.

Something else to consider when hunting: buy at one bank and sell to another -- not just a different branch but a different company. I have no proof to substantiate this, but I would think a bank's money would flow internally. A hunted roll would make it's way through that banks closed-system so there is always a possibility you could pick it up twice. Whereas if you sell your hunted rolls to a different bank, you remove them from the "buy" bank. Just a thought.

Going to pick up some quarters today. But I have a bad (ie. zero silver) feeling about them.

argent_pur
7th May 2009, 09:05
I've been searching through dimes lately and found 18 rosies and 1 barber in the last 3 days, which is when I started looking through dime boxes. That's almost 1 1/2 oz. troy for $1.90:) As for cost of gas--I spent a couple bucks on gas I wouldn't normally have, but for what 19 silver dimes would cost me...I've still profited big time and, most importantly, I've enjoyed doing it!

maplesilverbug
7th May 2009, 09:15
I've been searching through dimes lately and found 18 rosies and 1 barber in the last 3 days, which is when I started looking through dime boxes. That's almost 1 1/2 oz. troy for $1.90:) As for cost of gas--I spent a couple bucks on gas I wouldn't normally have, but for what 19 silver dimes would cost me...I've still profited big time and, most importantly, I've enjoyed doing it!

That's another key ingredient to roll hunting. As the price of silver rises (hopefully), the cost of getting silver in a roll is the same. If silver is at $4/oz or $20/oz, a roll of dimes is still going to cost the same -- $5 (or $0 once you sell it back to the bank). There is no dollar premium on rolls. Obviously it makes more sense to hunt rolls during a PM bull market.

Steadfast
7th May 2009, 13:37
I just was told by one branch after dumping there 2 times in 2 weeks that The "will not order me halves anymore"... :mad:

So, I went to another branch, and the manager there said she would order them for me forever, if I agreed to dump them at another branch. :rolleyes:

BiscuitHead
7th May 2009, 16:13
I just was told by one branch after dumping there 2 times in 2 weeks that The "will not order me halves anymore"... :mad:

So, I went to another branch, and the manager there said she would order them for me forever, if I agreed to dump them at another branch. :rolleyes:I think dumping at a different branch/bank is the idea anyway, so you don't just get the same coins over again.

maplesilverbug
8th May 2009, 09:04
Round #6:
8 rolls quarters: three 50%'s (0.27 oz)

Totals:

Dimes: 59 rolls (2950 coins) -- 24 50%'s; 2 80%'s; = (1.0 oz)
Quarters: 12 rolls (480 coins) -- 4 50%; = (0.36 oz)

Success Rate: per coin = 0.87%; per roll = 42.2%

I was wrong about the quarter rolls. I found just as much silver in the quarters as I did in the last rolls of dimes -- with half the amount of searching! I think I'll go 50/50 next round.

Anyone still want me to keep posting my results? Is it of any value (entertainment or otherwise)?

paddlepower
8th May 2009, 11:31
So it has been one week since the wife and I got our first roll of halves from the local bank. So 76 rolls later, in one week we have found 76 40% and 4 64's not a bad start, but the banks are running thin. I'll let you all know how thins go this weekend...

maplesilverbug
8th May 2009, 20:08
Round #7:
8 rolls dimes: one 50% (0.037 oz)
6 rolls quarters: two 50%'s (0.185 oz)

Totals:

Dimes: 67 rolls (3350 coins) -- 25 50%'s; 2 80%'s; = (1.037 oz)
Quarters: 18 rolls (720 coins) -- 6 50%; = (0.545 oz)

Success Rate: per coin = 0.81%; per roll = 38.8%

What $hit.
I had to wait until the very last roll to find those 2 quarters!
Back at 'er tomorrow.

Also have to say, the Vancouver winter Olympics (2012) have become very annoying as a roll hunter. The Canadian Mint has put out a veritable ream of crappy Olympic-theme quarters. They are everywhere. I feel somewhat ripped off when I get a whole role of those. Waste of time when I'm trying to find the "real" money.

Oh well.

maplesilverbug
9th May 2009, 17:30
Round #:
16 rolls dimes: seven 50%'s; two 80%'s = (0.377 oz)
12 rolls quarters: two 50%'s (0.185 oz)

Totals:

Dimes: 83 rolls (4150 coins) -- 32 50%'s; 4 80%'s; = (1.414 oz)
Quarters: 30 rolls (1200 coins) -- 8 50%'s; = (0.73 oz)
Coins: 44 = 2.144 oz.

Success Rate: per coin = 0.82%; per roll = 38.9%

No hunting next week, too busy.

Another thing I've noticed is that the '81 batch of dimes was a real dud. All the ones I've come across have been considerably more worn than the mid-'60's I find, and any other year for that matter.

hideit
12th May 2009, 12:51
maplesilverbug:
take the silver amount time the spot price and divide by the hours it took to go thru them
then you will have interesting data in $/hour for a "part time" job

theelementofone
12th May 2009, 20:29
From what I read it seems I have Created Monsters!!! Jk, glad to see all of you new comers to the Roll hunting table since i posted this thread.

maplesilverbug
12th May 2009, 23:06
maplesilverbug:
take the silver amount time the spot price and divide by the hours it took to go thru them
then you will have interesting data in $/hour for a "part time" job

Yeah, I mentioned that earlier -- Post #51 (http://forums.silverseek.com/showpost.php?p=59091&postcount=51).
There also seems to be a growing divergence between $ and silver (falling and rising), so if I had just an regular p/t job, the dollars I would get paid in would slowly become worth less and less; whereas the silver I find during my "p/t job" is slowly becoming worth more and more...kind of like a double-pronged compound interest!

From what I read it seems I have Created Monsters!!! Jk, glad to see all of you new comers to the Roll hunting table since i posted this thread.

Oh...so you're to blame...

argent_pur
13th May 2009, 11:52
Just used the proceeds from my hunting expeditions to fund the purchase of a Mexican 50 Peso gold coin (1.2057 troy oz. of gold)! Anyone who says it's not worth the time or trouble, well...:)

argent_pur
13th May 2009, 11:54
...every dime and 40% half add up

maplesilverbug
16th May 2009, 11:56
Round #: 9
16 rolls dimes: six 50%'s = (0.222 oz)
12 rolls quarters: zero

Totals:

Dimes: 99 rolls (4950 coins) -- 38 50%'s; 4 80%'s; = (1.636 oz)
Quarters: 42 rolls (1680 coins) -- 8 50%'s; = (0.73 oz)
Coins: 50 = 2.366 oz.

Success Rate: per coin = 0.75%; per roll = 35.4%

And the average drops...

argent_pur
16th May 2009, 12:47
How often do you go hunting, silverbug?

maplesilverbug
16th May 2009, 12:58
How often do you go hunting, silverbug?

Usually a couple times a week (once during the week, once on the weekend).

I've got $200 in rolls now, but I might cut that back down to $100 as banks are starting to get cranky at handling that much coin. Don't ask me why, it's still legal tender money! Sorry everything isn't electronic.

Also, the tellers are getting to know my face and are starting to give suspicious glares and ask questions about why I always want so much coin! Should I tell them, "Because I'm stealing all the real money from right out under your greedy bank nose!"?

paddlepower
16th May 2009, 15:46
Well to feed the fire, I found 60 more 40% today during my half dollar roll searching. 224 40% and 5 90% in 2 weeks. Off to a good start for now.

PSUDave
16th May 2009, 17:56
Also, the tellers are getting to know my face and are starting to give suspicious glares and ask questions about why I always want so much coin! Should I tell them, "Because I'm stealing all the real money from right out under your greedy bank nose!"?

I get the same look from tellers sometimes. F them, that's their job to serve you, the customer. It's none of their business why you want coins. I've had tellers ask, and tell them exactly that. Anywhere that doesn't want to give you change, go elsewhere. There's plenty of banks around.

Steadfast
19th May 2009, 21:32
another bag of 2000 half dollars searched and returned....

Only one 40% coin found... Bummer!

:mad:

LoboNoches
20th May 2009, 09:33
Been on hiatis for a while bills and all but back in should be getting a $500 case by friday so the search will begin anew :)

BiscuitHead
20th May 2009, 13:34
another bag of 2000 half dollars searched and returned....

Only one 40% coin found... Bummer!

:mad:Yeah, I searched $500 worth last week and only found 1 40% Kennedy.

maplesilverbug
21st May 2009, 01:14
Just read an article on CNN about how to earn extra money (http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/worklife/05/18/cb.earn.extra.money/index.html):

"3. Search circulating coinage

Susan Headley, the "guide to coins" on About.com, is a lifetime coin collector who has been boosting her income by searching through circulating coinage for the past six years. In 2008, she made about $2,500 and so far in 2009, she has earned approximately $500 from coins she's found.

People who search circulating coinage successfully for a side income do so in very large numbers, she says. They buy rolls of coins from banks, typically in whole boxes, and sort through it to find stuff that just doesn't belong, Headley says. Half dollars, for example, were no longer made from 90 percent silver after 1965, but they still had 40 percent silver in them until 1970; either of these turn a nice profit. Presidential dollar errors can be worth $50 to $5,000 each; uncirculated state quarters can sell from $10 to $50 per roll; and rare error coins can value up to $35,000."

Looks as though the "secret" is out. I was wondering when these hard times would make this "grubby hobby" into, now, an honest job. Expect a lot more competition and a lot less "treasure"!

But probably not...it's still too much work for most people.

maplesilverbug
21st May 2009, 08:07
Round #10
15 rolls dimes: five 50%'s = 0.185 oz
10 rolls quarters: three 50%'s = 0.2778 oz

Totals:

Dimes: 114 rolls (5700 coins) -- 43 50%'s; 4 80%'s; = (1.821 oz)
Quarters: 52 rolls (1680 coins) -- 11 50%'s; = (1.00 oz)
Coins: 58 = 2.821 oz.

Success Rate:
per coin = 0.78%; per roll = 35%

maplesilverbug
21st May 2009, 20:30
Round #11
19 rolls dimes: four 50%'s; one US '63 90%; (0.148 + 0.0714 = 0.2194 oz)
10 rolls quarters: three 50%'s = 0.2778 oz

Totals:

Dimes: 137 rolls (6850 coins) -- 47 50%'s; 4 80%'s; one US 90%= (2.0404 oz)
Quarters: 62 rolls (2480 coins) -- 14 50%'s; = (1.2778 oz)
Coins: 66 = 3.3182 oz.

Success Rate:
per coin = 0.70%; per roll = 33%

[Note: screwed up last rounds calculations -- amended.]

Steadfast
22nd May 2009, 09:01
Another 4000 half dollars searched...
Only one 40% found...

I think I am done coin diving... :mad:

maplesilverbug
22nd May 2009, 19:51
Round #12
20 rolls dimes: ONE 50% (0.0375 oz)
10 rolls quarters: ONE 50% (0.0925 oz)

Totals:
(all calculations factor a -1.2% circulation loss)

Dimes: 157 rolls (7850 coins) -- 48 50%'s; 4 80%'s; one US 90%= (2.0404 oz)
Quarters: 72 rolls (2880 coins) -- 15 50%'s; = (1.2778 oz)
Coins: 68 = 3.4482 oz.

Success Rate:
per coin (10730) = 0.63%; per roll (229) = 27%

maplesilverbug
22nd May 2009, 20:09
Another 4000 half dollars searched...
Only one 40% found...

I think I am done coin diving... :mad:

I'm thinking the same thing, but for different reasons.

All quick and dirty calculations aside, roll hunting is earning me about $3/hr.

I would either have to find triple the amount of silvers, or silver would have to triple in price for hunting to be a viable "hobby".

I've found almost 3.5 oz in one month = C$57.

If I wanted to acquire an extra 3-4 ounces of silver every month I could simply work one 8-hour shift at some minimum wage job and go down to my LCS instead of spending almost 30 hours running around to different banks and sifting through dirty old coins.

It was an interesting experiment while it lasted.

Argyria
22nd May 2009, 20:39
Maplesilverbug, searching US halves seems to yield much better results. Probably because these coins aren't in circulation as much, so there's less opportunity for other folks who know about silver coinage to see them and snag them. Searching dimes and quarters is likely to yield little since their circulation is very heavy. On top of that, for a given number of coins searched, even with equal success rates, the larger the coin the more silver recovered.

MODERN DAY MINER
22nd May 2009, 20:46
This week marked a milestone for me.
After coin roll hunting for about 10 months I
finally found my 1000th silver half dollar.

maplesilverbug
22nd May 2009, 21:33
Maplesilverbug, searching US halves seems to yield much better results. On top of that, for a given number of coins searched, even with equal success rates, the larger the coin the more silver recovered.

Both points acknowledged and agreed, even before I started hunting. However, being a Canucklehead, we don't have access to rolls of US halves through our banking system. Only Canadian dimes and quarters are the only coins still in circulation which were once minted with silver. If I want to find silver coins I don't really have a choice but to go with dimes and quarters (banks don't carry Canadian .50 or 1.00 rolls either).

I calculated that MDM was finding 1 silver in every 370 coins. I'm finding 1 silver in every 158 coins. However, the halves contain from 58% to 294% more silver than the coins I am finding [using 1965-70 halves vs. 50% dimes and quarters].

So...c'est la vie! Either I'm happy finding more coins with less silver or...I do something else with my time!

Steadfast
22nd May 2009, 22:01
what are my chances if I order 1000 silver dollars coins instead of halves?

maplesilverbug
22nd May 2009, 22:35
what are my chances if I order 1000 silver dollars coins instead of halves?

Ummm...I would say your chances of finding silver in an order of "silver dollar coins" is pretty good...maybe even close to 100%! ;)

maplesilverbug
23rd May 2009, 01:01
More stats on my hunt experiment:
[D(ime); Q(uarter); 50% content for both]

Find Percentage
Q: 15/2880 = 1/192 = 0.52%
D: 53/7850 = 1/148 = 0.67%
D finds +29% more than Q.

Silver Content
D = 0.0375 oz
Q = 0.0925 oz
Q contains +146% more silver than D
1Q ~ 2.5D

FP & SC Comparison
Q = 1/192 = 0.0925 oz
D = 1.3/192 = 0.04875 oz

Hunt Results
[Total coins = 10730]

Mixed Type = 3.4 oz

Single Type Theory
Q@0.52% = 55 = 5 oz
= +47% more silver than MT

D@0.67% = 71 = 2.6 oz
= -23% less silver than MT

Conclusion:
'Tis better to hunt big game.

maplesilverbug
23rd May 2009, 17:48
Because I'm a sucker for taking free silver from the bank vaults...I took one last kick at the cat!

Round #13
30 rolls quarters: three 50%s' (0.2778 oz)

Totals:
(all calculations factor a -1.2% circulation loss)

Dimes: 157 rolls (7850 coins) -- 48 50%'s; 4 80%'s; one US 90%= (2.0404 oz)
Quarters: 102 rolls (4080 coins) -- 18 50%'s; = (1.5556 oz)
Coins: 71 = 3.726 oz.

Success Rate:
per coin (10730) = 0.59%; per roll (229) = 27%

Statistically speaking, this round worked out perfect. As I claimed in post #33, using Modern Day Miner's stats, I found 1 silver in every 370 coins -- or 1 in every 10 rolls. Quarter rolls also take considerably less time to do than dimes.

Didn't quite break that 1oz/week barrier though. Maybe if I had done only quarter rolls from the start. Oh well.

LoboNoches
26th May 2009, 10:49
First box $500

1-%90

2-%40

Bad news is now my bank says they can only order $1000 worth and have to have money in advance :( can't do that so I guess I got to wait abit

entropy
2nd June 2009, 16:29
Hello all,

I am just getting into CRH and I think it's pretty neat. I go for the "treasure hunt" aspect of it more than anything..fun little hobby. I've gone through $250 of halves so far with no luck. I'd like to make it a regular thing but am curious how you guys handle getting lots of rolls and then dumping them. I know I can just order a box of halves but how do I cash them in on a regular basis? ANy advice?

I've looked around for banks in the area that have coin counting machines and have found a few but I think they'll catch on pretty quick if $500 worth of halves starts showing up in there...unless they just ship the coin off to Brinks or something. If you put your coins in a machine, does the bank get them? I know I could just show up with a bunch of rolls and demand that they get deposited but I dont want to be a pain in is butt or deal with a cranky teller by doing that weekly. Right now my floor is covered with hunted halves and I'm itching to get more!

Happy hunting!

Meg

MODERN DAY MINER
3rd June 2009, 18:22
Hello all,

I am just getting into CRH and I think it's pretty neat. I go for the "treasure hunt" aspect of it more than anything..fun little hobby. I've gone through $250 of halves so far with no luck. I'd like to make it a regular thing but am curious how you guys handle getting lots of rolls and then dumping them. I know I can just order a box of halves but how do I cash them in on a regular basis? ANy advice?

I've looked around for banks in the area that have coin counting machines and have found a few but I think they'll catch on pretty quick if $500 worth of halves starts showing up in there...unless they just ship the coin off to Brinks or something. If you put your coins in a machine, does the bank get them? I know I could just show up with a bunch of rolls and demand that they get deposited but I dont want to be a pain in is butt or deal with a cranky teller by doing that weekly. Right now my floor is covered with hunted halves and I'm itching to get more!

Happy hunting!

Meg

Welcome to the hunt. I would just be straight forwrd with your bank. tell them what you are doing and if the have a problem go to another branch or a differant bank alltogether. Is the bank your using a small local bank or a big national one?

Frelodr
4th June 2009, 21:41
I have been going through 50 cent rolls since Jan. I have found a lot. My best box (500 dollars) had 20 walking libertys, 4 Franklins, 1 64, and 17 40%. What I do to keep the tellers wanting to help me, (Changing bag in machine). I have given all five of them a good clean 67. I told them if it keeps working I will give them another. I will give them all a 68 in a couple of months and a few months later give them all a 69. So far I walk in the bank and they are very helpful to me. Happy hunting all, Lodr

stetmike
7th June 2009, 00:02
The trick to dumping coins is to limit the amount you return to a bank at one time. Most of the coin counters will only take $100 in havles before the bag needs to be changed and if they have to change the bag 5 or six times they will understandably get annoyed. I coin hunt pennies, nickles, dimes and half dollars and I limit the halves to no more the $200 at a dump. If you go to a bank once a week with about $200 in halves then there should be no problem. That is why it is important to have several dump banks.

SafetyStacks
28th June 2009, 00:28
Long time lurker, first time posting.

I read this thread about 10 days ago and the thought of getting free silver from the government so intrigued me, I decided to go for it!

Like the OP, my bank can only order halves in increments of $500, in a loose plastic bag.

I was so excited when the teller called me and said to come and get your treasure!!

In my first attempt with 2000 coins, I found five 90's and 114 40's.

That's 18.87 FREE ounces of silver courtesy of Uncle Sam!

I also got a 2009 Sacagewea dollar coin so I made $.50 there also!

The reason I think the OP had success at first and is drawing blanks now is because he/she might be getting the same coins back over and over. I think I will continue my searches, but I'm going to keep the bunky coins and not turn them back in. All of our banks around here get their change from the same place. If I turn in these coins, the odds are that I'll get the same batch again.

I will continue to raid the treasury every week and will report back in.

Thanks for the great idea. http://forums.silverseek.com/images/icons/icon3.gif

SafetyStacks
2nd July 2009, 22:00
Round 2.

Or, as I like to call it, A quick lesson on the law of averages.

First bag of 1000 coins yielded zero silver. Second bag contained 3 - 64's and nine 40%'s. So far in 4000 coins total searched, I have pulled around 20 ounces of silver.

Round 3 next week with 4000 coins.

MODERN DAY MINER
3rd August 2009, 17:14
Have there been any good finds out there? I just finished finding my 10th roll of kennedy 64's. 3rd roll of franklins and 60th roll of 40%.

Almost 1500 halves found in a year.

I started CRH approx 1 year ago.

maplesilverbug
3rd August 2009, 22:10
Have there been any good finds out there?

No. I stopped hunting -- for now. It's not worth my time at current spot prices. If we see $20 again, then I'll be back at the bank for more "free money".

akak
4th August 2009, 12:53
Just received a silver 1960 Canadian quarter in change this last Saturday --- the first time in many years that I had gotten a silver coin in change.

Jake
4th August 2009, 13:03
``````````````````````

MODERN DAY MINER
4th August 2009, 13:32
You must just have bad luck. I have been going through rolls for a year and have found around 1500 silver halves. That is approx 268 oz of silver for a cost of $750. That is an average cost of $2.80 per oz. I don't think that is a waste of time.
Since I'm old, I was alive in the 70's---back then you could go to banks and just buy their rolls---i found quite a few 90% and 40% halves.

Since 1977-1979, i didn't think it was worth it.
However, I was dumb enough to try this recently.
I ordered 5000 halves---went through 3000 and nothing
Then, since no bank near me has coin counters, i had to hand roll them and return them
so I wasted my time, my fingers got bloodied in paper cuts, and I lost about $3 in gasoline. I then ordered $200 in nickels at a time when I was "all hot" on these ugly War Nickels. This was when I had a renewed interest in silver and gold as investments ---not knowing that these ugly nickels could easily be recognized by anyone with half-a-brain if they were spotted in a change drawer. I opened $100 worth of nickels--Nothing! I returned the unopened nickels to the bank and lost about $9 at coinstar and another $3 in gasoline returning them.

Then...i had a thought...another dumb thought...Pennies!...but this time i was going to get smart!
I looked up penny rolls--counters-etc...and found
http://www.ryedalecoin.com/images/RYEDALETOP.gif
:http://www.ryedalecoin.com/
I never bought this thing or had any interest again doing this because you can't make any money selling 95% copper after you figure in all the costs.

So it was then i knew, if pennies can be sorted, "all coins that you order through the banks have been sorted for silver as they weigh different amounts.
The only way i can see anyone getting silver these days is if a small bank in some small town still has dusty rolls in some vault that have never been opened and returned since the 70's and 80's. You would waste tons of gas finding these banks.

I say this is a lost cause and a waste of time. :(

fullsafe
4th August 2009, 17:53
[QUOTE=Jake;67075]Since I'm old, I was alive in the 70's---back then you could go to banks and just buy their rolls---i found quite a few 90% and 40% halves.

I've had similar luck.

I think some silver is showing up in change just from people busting the piggy bank or spending the loose change box to get by. Our luck could improve if the trend continues but I'm going to have to be a bit more idle to pursue it very heavily.

I caught you in your first bit of mis-information though---I was alive in the 70's and I'm not old. What did you do different?

maplesilverbug
4th August 2009, 21:57
I have been going through rolls for a year and have found around 1500 silver halves. I don't think that is a waste of time.

For me, in Canada, it is a waste of time. I can't get "halves" from banks here -- only dimes and quarters, which are very low (comparatively) in silver content. It might take me four times the amount of rolls to find the same amount of silver you get from your halves.

Like I said, when silver hits $20 again, I'll start hunting again.

CrazyFoool
5th August 2009, 04:24
I'm currently hunting through my parents change bins. They probably have about 3000 dollars worth of change here. They have restaurants and my moms been throwning her random change into a bucket for the longest time ever. She seperates out her kennedy halves and has a bunch of them....about 200. yesterday I found, 7 '64 halves, 2 40% halves, 1 '54 quarter, 4 ike dollars from 76 and before. 1 43 pennie that i was hoping was coppper lol..no luck there...steel.

what sucks now is that I've looked through all the coins that haven't been wrapped. Do i really really think its worth it to unwrap about 1000 dollars worth of coins and sort through them??? ughhh hahaha.

also, i'm obviously new at this. is a war nickel that easy to spot? can someone explain? thanks.

Argyria
5th August 2009, 04:43
1 43 pennie that i was hoping was coppper lol..no luck there...steel.

Hey silly the war pennies are worth a lot more than the copper in a copper penny. It's called 'numismatic value'.

CrazyFoool
5th August 2009, 05:14
Hey silly the war pennies are worth a lot more than the copper in a copper penny. It's called 'numismatic value'.

lol, i read that there aren't very many copper pennies that year because of the war...and that they were made of steel that year. a copper one would have fetched me additional money for a down payment for a house. =)

Argyria
5th August 2009, 05:31
lol, i read that there aren't very many copper pennies that year because of the war...and that they were made of steel that year. a copper one would have fetched me additional money for a down payment for a house. =)

Well then, that's too bad, from my research on the topic, you didn't really have much chance.

CrazyFoool
5th August 2009, 06:07
Well then, that's too bad, from my research on the topic, you didn't really have much chance.

i know. oh well...didn't think i would find one.

how do people search thru dimes? theres no difference except to look at the date which is killer on the eyes.

Argyria
5th August 2009, 06:28
i know. oh well...didn't think i would find one.

how do people search thru dimes? theres no difference except to look at the date which is killer on the eyes.

Look at the edge of them. 90% silver dimes will have no copper stripe. Clad dimes do. It's not as obvious as it is for quarters, but if your eyes are fair and you have good light you can spot them quickly this way. It is important when looking at small details on things like coins and gems to have good light. Ordinary room light is insufficient.

stetmike
5th August 2009, 14:55
I have been coin hunting for about 18 months and have had very good success. You need to be patient for good finds. Here are some results.

Halfs
I have searched through $68,354.00 and have found the following
869 40% Kennedys
124 90% Kennedys
2 1976 silver proofs
16 other proofs
51 Franklin
53 Walking Liberty
My best finds have been 1 1906 Barber half and also a 1907 Newfoundland half dollar as well as a mid 60's Austrian silver 5 shilling coin.

Dimes
I have gone though $79,000 in dimes
564 silver
89 mercury
2 barber
12 canadian silver dimes

Nickles
31,700 searched
354 silver war nickles
142 Buffalo nickles
4 liberty head nickles including one dated 1883
Also a 1920's French 20 cems coin

Pennies
searched $7,925
6778 wheat pennies with several from the 1910's
22 indian head pennies including one dated 1880
also a very interesting find a Dutch 20 silver 20 cent piece mined in 1945 in all place minted in Philadelphia.

I you are patient you will find interesting coins. Are you going to make money doing this no. But from the standpoint of a hobby and finding interesting coins it certainly is worthwhile.

A note to SilverMapleBug. The easiest way to find silver Canadian coins and old Candian nickles is to use a magnet. After 1968 the dimes are quarters started being made of nickle which is magnetic also the older nickles prior to 1968 are 100% nickle which is also magnetic.

MODERN DAY MINER
5th August 2009, 17:19
I have been coin hunting for about 18 months and have had very good success. You need to be patient for good finds. Here are some results.

Halfs
I have searched through $68,354.00 and have found the following
869 40% Kennedys
124 90% Kennedys
2 1976 silver proofs
16 other proofs
51 Franklin
53 Walking Liberty
My best finds have been 1 1906 Barber half and also a 1907 Newfoundland half dollar as well as a mid 60's Austrian silver 5 shilling coin.

Dimes
I have gone though $79,000 in dimes
564 silver
89 mercury
2 barber
12 canadian silver dimes

Nickles
31,700 searched
354 silver war nickles
142 Buffalo nickles
4 liberty head nickles including one dated 1883
Also a 1920's French 20 cems coin

Pennies
searched $7,925
6778 wheat pennies with several from the 1910's
22 indian head pennies including one dated 1880
also a very interesting find a Dutch 20 silver 20 cent piece mined in 1945 in all place minted in Philadelphia.

I you are patient you will find interesting coins. Are you going to make money doing this no. But from the standpoint of a hobby and finding interesting coins it certainly is worthwhile.

A note to SilverMapleBug. The easiest way to find silver Canadian coins and old Candian nickles is to use a magnet. After 1968 the dimes are quarters started being made of nickle which is magnetic also the older nickles prior to 1968 are 100% nickle which is also magnetic.

What part of the country are you hunting in.

stetmike
5th August 2009, 18:08
I am in northwestern New Jersey

Katwoman
5th August 2009, 18:34
We have a bunch of coin op laundry machines and so I have searched the quarters. After two hours the other night I found just "1" pre-64 quarter. I will not disclose what I earn per hour but it is safe to say it is lot more than the value of the one coin I found. That said, I will not be wasting too much of my time doing this.

maplesilverbug
5th August 2009, 21:39

Picking the silvers out of a roll is not the problem, the issue is actually getting enough rolls with a high enough silver coin content!

Like Kat, it doesn't make sense for me on a time-is-money scale to hunt until spot hits $20+ again.

CrazyFoool
6th August 2009, 07:08
Look at the edge of them. 90% silver dimes will have no copper stripe. Clad dimes do. It's not as obvious as it is for quarters, but if your eyes are fair and you have good light you can spot them quickly this way. It is important when looking at small details on things like coins and gems to have good light. Ordinary room light is insufficient.

thank you. need all the tips i can get or i might end up having to buy glsases w/ the money i find.

maplesilverbug
11th September 2009, 20:22
Just for kicks, I did some small time hunting this week:

30 rolls quarters (1,200 coins) -- five(5) 50%s
= 0.46 ounces

Success Rate = 0.41%
(over 50% more than the infamous "half hunter" MDM!)

Whatever...still fun to dabble now and again.

DaleFromCalgary
12th September 2009, 08:15
My understanding from a relative who worked in a Canadian bank is that they have devices on their coin counters that automatically sort out silver. He said he can't ever remember seeing a silver coin pop out in decades, not since the great silver melt of 1980. Any silver coin in change would come from a store where they don't know what they have. I have never seen a silver coin in my change since the early 1980s and I would notice.

maplesilverbug
12th September 2009, 12:02
My understanding from a relative who worked in a Canadian bank is that they have devices on their coin counters that automatically sort out silver.

I would highly doubt this is the case, for a number of reasons:

1) such machines would be cost-prohibitive. The "price" of silver has only really begun to take off in the last 3-4 years. The value of silver found in the sorted coins would be very small until just very recently.

2) why saddle the banks with the burden/cost of "skimming" silver? It is much easier to simply raise ATM fees by $0.25 and take in millions of dollars of profit compared to hunting coinage.

3) coinage are also a burden to banks. I'm sure every single one of them would be extremely happy no to have to deal with coins in any way whatsoever. Sorting out the silver coins just makes them have to do more coin work.

Banks would not hunt silver coins because it is a complete waste of their resources. If they did, then I would not be finding silver in my rolls, now would I? ;)

Cash2Riches
13th September 2009, 13:09
My girlfriend works at a hotel, and some old Australian guy can in with $15 worth of Silver Canadian quarters, she has been well educated by me, so right away she knew it was a bargain, she even told him that they were worth much more than a quarter each and he just didn't care. Best catch we have ever gotten. Was insane.

SUPERMAN21
20th October 2009, 22:04
Hi:

I Am New To This And Was Wondering If Anyone Could Answer The Following:

When You Have Ordered Boxes Of Halfs From The Bank Did You Ever Get Bu Rolls Of The Current Year And If So What Did You Do With Them? Are They Woth More Than Face Value?

What Is The Maximum Number Of Half Dollars A Coin Counting Machine Will Accept Before A Bank Enployee Has To Empty The Machine?

Can You Estmate How Much Profit On Average You Usually Find In A Box Of Halfs ($500)?

Thanks For Your Help.

Jack

stetmike
22nd October 2009, 16:19
Hi:

I Am New To This And Was Wondering If Anyone Could Answer The Following:

When You Have Ordered Boxes Of Halfs From The Bank Did You Ever Get Bu Rolls Of The Current Year And If So What Did You Do With Them? Are They Woth More Than Face Value?

What Is The Maximum Number Of Half Dollars A Coin Counting Machine Will Accept Before A Bank Enployee Has To Empty The Machine?

Can You Estmate How Much Profit On Average You Usually Find In A Box Of Halfs ($500)?

Thanks For Your Help.

Jack

Sometimes I find some brand new coins in rolls, I do not believe they are really worth anything. However every so often I will find proofs "they have the S mint mark". If they are in very good condition I will keep them.

Most of the coin counters in my are are set to $100 for half dollars.

Typically I will find on average between 3-5 silver half dollars per box. I have found that you can get better results from hand rolls or even loose coins but they are not as consistant. The boxes are usually consistant and sometimes you can get over 10 or even 20 keeps in a box.

SUPERMAN21
28th October 2009, 12:40
I Just Got $1500 Worth Of Halfs (3 Boxes) That Were Machine Rolled. I Only Found 1-1964 And 1-1970. What A Waste Of Time And Gas.

Does Anyone Know If Halfs Are Available Unrolled In Bags And If So Do You Get More Keepers From Bags Than Boxes?

Jake
28th October 2009, 18:28
`````````````````

MODERN DAY MINER
22nd November 2009, 22:05
I may have just had my most profitable 2 days of coin hunting yet. I went through my weekly standard order and pulled out 127 silver halves.

I got

25 - 64 kennedy
11 - franklin
2 - walkers
1 - Barber
1 - 1982 washington commerative
and 87 40% halves
I also found 10 silver dimes.

That is approx 28 oz this week for only $63.50.

I'm glad jake isn't around he would just call BS.

JesterJay
23rd November 2009, 00:11
BS!!!
Jake says so, I think.
Still a Pain in the Ass,
JesterJay

I may have just had my most profitable 2 days of coin hunting yet. I went through my weekly standard order and pulled out 127 silver halves.

I got

25 - 64 kennedy
11 - franklin
2 - walkers
1 - Barber
1 - 1982 washington commerative
and 87 40% halves
I also found 10 silver dimes.

That is approx 28 oz this week for only $63.50.

I'm glad jake isn't around he would just call BS.

monkeybread
20th December 2009, 18:56
i just started coin roll hunting and went through a box of pennys. and theres only 1 bank in town with a coinstar. how many dump there coins and how many roll theres.:confused:

JesterJay
20th December 2009, 18:59
How much silver did you find?
JesterJay

i just started coin roll hunting and went through a box of pennys. and theres only 1 bank in town with a coinstar. how many dump there coins and how many roll theres.:confused:

akak
20th December 2009, 20:04
I did a vast amount of coin roll hunting in the middle and late 1970's, and my considerable experience then was that, except for half-dollars, it was utterly a waste of time. I did OK finding 40% silver halves, and a handful of 90% silver halves, but only ever found a pittance of silver dimes or quarters --- and remember, that was 30 or more years ago. I can't imagine the situation would be any better today.

silverheartbone
18th September 2010, 20:21
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-mndP77fYA

Goldbrix
2nd October 2010, 23:57
Looked Through over 1000 half dollars this week. 1 90% and 1 2009.

Congrats you found a 90%-er basically for free. Not a bad ratio. Almost like mining for ore. Better than working a pick and an axe.

eyoung
5th October 2010, 15:48
Been alot of good questions, glad a put this one up. I have been roll hunting for 6months, some decent finds. MY favorite is finding a walker in the mix!! Its fun Just remember re-mark your rolls after you are done, so that that other hunters know that that one has been searched!!

That's all I ever got was re-marks. Takes a lot of dedication to roll hunt...not for me.

billmr
26th October 2010, 01:35
I searched 4 boxes, got 5 40% coins

2 of the boxes were pre-searched, I could tell from the hand wrapped coins and the branch they came from.

I do not think I will buy more

oh well, I will pay my house payment in coins next month :)

silverfish
26th October 2010, 12:48
<copperseek>
With the hopelessly debased coinage here in the UK the only CRH game in town is for copper. 1p and 2p coins minted before 1992 are 97% copper. I calculated that a 1p coin is worth 1.75p and a 2p coin 3.5p now for the copper value. I went through my (not very full) penny jar and got about 15 ounces of copper - a lot of it in 2p rather than 1p coins. A lot of the copper 2p coins I found were the original 1971 coins minted when decimalisation came in still going strong. Illegal to melt them down but tender doesn't stay legal for ever :) </copperseek>

silverheartbone
30th October 2010, 10:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3a1YFRabcw

silverheartbone
30th October 2010, 11:01
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8an5oKaKas

daviidwilson
2nd November 2010, 00:29

NotAnOricle
8th November 2010, 23:54
Last year I went to a Wells Fargo in Oakland.
I asked if they had half dollars, they said yes.
I asked how many, they said $500 worth.
I bought them all.
Of that $500, I found 2 Franklin and 4 Kennedy silver half dollars.
Fun to do, but I haven't found any lately.

maplesilverbug
9th November 2010, 00:51
That 3.7 oz. of roll silver I hunted is now worth $100. :)

Love taking money from the gov't/big banks!

What other job can you claim that the labour you did yesterday is now worth more today!

b_kauz
27th December 2010, 08:30
Posted in another thread but though I would add it to this one as well...last week ordered my first batch of half dollars ($500) and ended up with the following:

1 - 1951 Frankling (90%)
1 - 1964 Kennedy (90%)
19 - 65-70 Kennedy (40%)

So around 3.5 oz for $10.50 more than happy with that! Have another bag of $1000 worth coming this week to search...I must say I am hooked.

b_kauz
3rd January 2011, 10:00
Went through two boxes of rolled halve dollars $500 in each. First box didn't find anything, second box pulled a 66 and a 67 Kennedy half. So 2 40% halves out of 2000, so not near as good as my first batch.

A question I do have is there different ways of ordering half dollars? The first batch I got was $500 in a sealed bag of loose coins, the next batch of $1000 came in two boxes all rolled in $10 incraments. Can the banks request which way they come in?

maplesilverbug
3rd January 2011, 10:43
...it doesn't make sense for me on a time-is-money scale to hunt until spot hits $20+ again.

Posted August 2009.

I guess I better get back on the ol' hunting trail!!! :p

MrSilverAG
11th January 2011, 06:38
well after my dad had some luck pulling several 40% and a couple 90% halves out of a box or two, I took payment of $500 he owned me in form of an unsearched box. Unfortunately, I was not so lucky, and found no silver at all. I might try again, it was only a couple hours of work but it sure made my hands filthy

Julian Robinson
16th February 2011, 18:23
Sorry if I sound naive,

I'm very new to this forum, but what exactly do you mean by coin roll hunt?

broox419
4th March 2012, 15:59
Can't wait to get started!!!!! My box should arrive Thursday.....

silverbaker
4th March 2012, 17:11
Man I think iam going to have to give this a try! Sounds like a lot of fun.

clr8ter
4th March 2012, 17:15
My suspicion is that someone mistakenly turns silver coins into a bank. The bank or the people that turn the coins into wrapped rolls don't have the time or interest to search them for silver. So, if you have a bunch of coins turned in, they tend to all end up in one or a few boxes/bags of coins. So, you get lucky once, and then nothing. Until someone makes another mistake.......

broox419
5th March 2012, 21:35
My suspicion is that someone mistakenly turns silver coins into a bank. The bank or the people that turn the coins into wrapped rolls don't have the time or interest to search them for silver. So, if you have a bunch of coins turned in, they tend to all end up in one or a few boxes/bags of coins. So, you get lucky once, and then nothing. Until someone makes another mistake.......

I think the thing with the half dollars is that the average US Citizen does not realize that the 65-70 Kennedy's are 40% silver. I got 4 more 40% half dollars (all 1967) today just by asking the teller to let me look at their half dollars. I really won't know the fruits of my labor until the $500 boxes arrive. That's right I've up the ante to to boxes. I found a branch that will order them at no cost while my local branch charges $5. They should both arrive Thursday.....with what success I've had with such little effort I can't help but to feel very optimistic about it. Just for kicks I intend to dump all of the clad to a B of A or Chase!

clr8ter
6th March 2012, 19:44
I think more people realize than you think, Broox. Thing is you can tell they're different from looking at the edges, and they make a different sound. Although, yes, I think the 40% is way more common in circulation.....Good luck.

SilverChris
7th March 2012, 13:22
Well, I sure do hope that the banks didnt wise up and start sorting for silver half dollars, otherwise I just ordered $500 (1000 coins) from my bank for a mission of epic proportions. Please god, let me find SOMETHING. GOD!!!!!!!

I will let you all know what I find.

PS What is the best way to do this, just tear into the rolls or be very gentle and reuse the rolls?

maplesilverbug
7th March 2012, 20:08
Well, I sure do hope that the banks didnt wise up and start sorting for silver half dollars, otherwise I just ordered $500 (1000 coins) from my bank for a mission of epic proportions. Please god, let me find SOMETHING. GOD!!!!!!!

I will let you all know what I find.

PS What is the best way to do this, just tear into the rolls or be very gentle and reuse the rolls?

Bank doesn't give two sh!ts about groping for luna, especially the miniscule amount that comes in with coinage.
They easily make way more than that by increasing your fees.
Or foreclosing on your house.

Best way?
Get a good sized magnet, bust open all the rolls and spread 'em out on the floor, run the mag over the coin 'rug'...all the stuff you pick up, toss in a bin and take it down to some coin rolling machine. Hopefully you'll have plenty left on your floor back home.

silverwolf
7th March 2012, 21:38
when you spread em out make sure nothing is overlapping, because they will get pulled up with a good magnet. i would lay em out with none of the coins touching, then run your magnet over them. and again hopefully there is lots left on the floor..good luck..

silverwolf
7th March 2012, 21:46
About 5 years ago i went into my local bank and asked for 10 rolls of quarters ,i asked if i could get the rolls that were paper rolled as opposed to the plastic wrap. And i small talked that my daughter and i where trying to start a coin collection, and the teller says to me, thats too bad i had an elderly man come in about a month ago, with about 40 rolls of coins, and they were marked 50's, 60's,on the wrappers. Can you only imagine. Where did those coins end up..needless to say i didn't score anything in my 10 rolls..but to this day i have to wonder who did end up with them..

broox419
9th March 2012, 00:28
My first box I got a 1968 and a 1963 Franklin. My second box I got a 1964, 1966, 1967 & 1968. I think I will give it a go again I just think I will stick to 1 box at a time.....now to dump them off somewhere....:???:

SilverChris
10th March 2012, 10:36
So I got the box of $500 worth of coins, no charge, I stopped by the bank at my work, no gas, and I found a dropoff bank walking distance from my house, no gas. I spent 1 hr 20 min on unrolling and rolling up the coins, and just checking the edge. I went through 1000 coins and found 1 1965 kennedy half dollar. I also got into a fight (I knew that would happen) when my chick walked in the door, saw the box that said $500 and saw my dumb ass sorting all the coins. After I slapped her and made her pick up the groceries she dropped on the ground I explained what I was doing, but she still didn't understand. What do you tell a girl with 2 black eyes? Nothing you already tried to tell her twice before. Needless to say, I think its easier to give my money to a LCS or someone on CL and save my time.

silverbaker
10th March 2012, 13:33
Now that's good stuff man.

clr8ter
10th March 2012, 15:34
Why would you spread them out and use a magnet? I can unwrap a roll, and look at all of the edges of the coins in in the roll, in about 5 seconds. And my eyes suck.

broox419
11th March 2012, 23:16
Yes, the 64's and earlier all stand out like a shining diamond in a pile of coal. But the 65-70's do have a bit of copper on the reeded edge. For some reason the 71's looked to much like the 65-70's. I had to be sure so I had to check the dates on more coins than I would have liked. If going to keep this up, I will definitely consider purchasing a magnet and a coin roller to make this a quicker process.

@Silver Chris, dude you may need to find another woman. I know most ladies don't understand PM's. Maybe if you get here some badass sterling silver jewelry she might think better of what you're doing. My wife was helping me go through some of the rolls as our 11 month old was throwing a fit. He wanted to help us too but he was more into eating the coins than he was the metal content of them! We'll see if I still feel this way after another box next week!

broox419
29th March 2012, 20:40
Got two more boxes. Half way through first box and so far 1966, 1967, 1968, and 1969. Hope it keeps going well!!!!

Techdude
30th March 2012, 14:59
Never really considered coin roll hunting until I got a 1955 dime back from a vending machine and finding this post.

I expect the Banks to catch on and stop selling rolls as the silver price rises and or if too many people start doing this.

Techdude
30th March 2012, 15:18
Why not try this with quarters???

broox419
31st March 2012, 00:31
Why not try this with quarters???

Quarters were all swiped in the 60's and 70's. This is because they have always been widely circulated and there was never a 40% quarter or dime issued from 65-70. The halves were never very popular coins in circulation and therefore never really had the opportunity to be swiped. It's also not common knowledge that 65-70 Kennedy's are 40% so if most people saw one the wouldn't think of it as being silver and therefore never swipe it. Whereas the pre 64 quarters, halves, and dimes tend to be more noticeable to the untrained eye will more likely get swiped.

SilverChris
31st March 2012, 12:18
so I did another search through another $500 (1000) half dollars and came up with nothing but a 1776-1976 gold plated Kennedy that seems worthless (anyone know bout that?)

All in all I have gone through 2000 half dollars and came up with 1 40% silver Kennedy.

Seems like if I had down syndrome and all the time in the world this would be a good use of my time.

I will give it one more shot otherwise I think its easier to just find some mook on Craigslist and haggle with him. I seem to have more success with that.

maplesilverbug
31st March 2012, 12:54
Seems like if I had down syndrome and all the time in the world this would be a good use of my time.

Did you READ this entire thread?

On one of the first pages I gave the odds of finding a silver-content coin based upon a sample of ~300,000 coins -- 1 in every 370 (or 0.3%).

Shoulda played the lotto instead.

p.s. -- the chance of Down Syndrome is 1 in every 700.

maplesilverbug
31st March 2012, 12:56
Never really considered coin roll hunting until I got a 1955 dime back from a vending machine and finding this post.

I expect the Banks to catch on and stop selling rolls as the silver price rises and or if too many people start doing this.

After 30+ years of people "hunting", the banks still don't give a sh°t.

broox419
1st April 2012, 00:25
so I did another search through another $500 (1000) half dollars and came up with nothing but a 1776-1976 gold plated Kennedy that seems worthless (anyone know bout that?)

All in all I have gone through 2000 half dollars and came up with 1 40% silver Kennedy.

I will give it one more shot otherwise I think its easier to just find some mook on Craigslist and haggle with him. I seem to have more success with that.

Are you sure you aren't getting the same coins back? I returned my first to boxes back to the same bank as sure as sh!t I got the very same one's back the next week. How did I know? They weren't in the flat box like they were before. So what I did was start a savings at Wells Fargo where I can dump them. I don't blame you for wanting to give up, if I had your luck I would too. But so far I've had two boxes got me 4, one box got me 2 and one box got me 1. I'm going to do three boxes next week and if I get little or nothing I think I'll take a break.

broox419
1st April 2012, 00:34
These are the boxes I got that had nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV0hGJPbgvo&feature=fvst

These are the boxes you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiglwfXndcI&feature=related

Also be aware that the 1976-S are 40% as well, I have yet to find one yet. But I will keep trying...

SilverChris
3rd April 2012, 13:02
These are the boxes I got that had nothing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV0hGJPbgvo&feature=fvst

These are the boxes you want:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiglwfXndcI&feature=related

Also be aware that the 1976-S are 40% as well, I have yet to find one yet. But I will keep trying...

So I am 1 coin for 2 boxes of the top link, this are the ones I usually get ($500 worth)

So what is the bottom link boxes for? $1000? why wouldnt the bank just give you 2 of the $500 boxes? Do you specifically ask for it all in one unit>?

broox419
16th April 2012, 12:25
SilverChris,
out of my last four boxes, three were skunks and one had only one 1965. I think I will give this a rest for right now. It would appear that I was having more success asking the bank tellers for their half dollars in their drawers than having the bank order the box. Will keep you posted....

rush2112
16th April 2012, 17:22
I recently bought a box of quarters and dimes and the problem I had was the American coinage getting stuffed into the rolls which is supposed to be Canadian coinage. In my dime box I had at least 10-20% U.S. dimes and in my box of quarters I am guessing 2-4 rolls of U.S. quarters. Now I need a few rolls of Canadian dimes and quarters before I can return the boxes to the bank.

I also now have to make a special trip to a U.S. bank to cash in my rolls of U.S. coinage.

Bridge tolls = $10.00 + gas + being treated like a terrorist by U.S. customs upon entry.

Roll searching = waste of time

madwaloo
17th April 2012, 15:56

How do you re-mark your rolls?

madwaloo
17th April 2012, 16:01
I recently bought a box of quarters and dimes and the problem I had was the American coinage getting stuffed into the rolls which is supposed to be Canadian coinage. In my dime box I had at least 10-20% U.S. dimes and in my box of quarters I am guessing 2-4 rolls of U.S. quarters. Now I need a few rolls of Canadian dimes and quarters before I can return the boxes to the bank.

I also now have to make a special trip to a U.S. bank to cash in my rolls of U.S. coinage.

Bridge tolls = $10.00 + gas + being treated like a terrorist by U.S. customs upon entry.

Roll searching = waste of time

LOL, I have the same thing happen when searching US coins. What the heck do I do with the Canadian coinage? Have found a couple older Canadian silver quarters & dimes though.

rush2112
18th April 2012, 20:34
LOL, I have the same thing happen when searching US coins. What the heck do I do with the Canadian coinage? Have found a couple older Canadian silver quarters & dimes though.

Thats funny because 10 years ago if we found a U.S coin in our change it was like winning the lottery. You seldom saw a U.S coin in Canadian change. That was back when it cost me $150.00 Canadian for $100.00 U.S. Finding American change now, may seem insignificant to some people, but it is a real indication at street level how far the U.S dollar has devalued.

I asked the bank about about my rolls of American quarters and they said they would take them no problem, but they would not pay me in U.S. notes. All is good. Still searching rolls of pennies and there is lots of copper to be had still. Even the occasional wheat cent.

Underdrive
19th April 2012, 09:39
This is an interesting concept. At an average of one per 370+ coins checked, over the long term this could be a nice hobby. Not to mention it seems that if you live in a big city, you'd have an easier time finding banks with coin counters and/or fresh selections of coins. Then again, if you don't mind switching the coins out in stores little by little, it takes the coins out of circulation from the banks so they have to get fresh batches. At least, I would think so.

broox419
19th April 2012, 16:53
This is an interesting concept. At an average of one per 370+ coins checked, over the long term this could be a nice hobby. Not to mention it seems that if you live in a big city, you'd have an easier time finding banks with coin counters and/or fresh selections of coins. Then again, if you don't mind switching the coins out in stores little by little, it takes the coins out of circulation from the banks so they have to get fresh batches. At least, I would think so.

That's the key, if you can spend them you are way better off. I also find that if you like to gamble, you can take them to a casino and they will trade them for paper. You either have to be a players' club member or if you are staying at their resort they will do it that way too.

silverman1331
1st May 2012, 17:13

I live in the country and have good finds about once or twice a month. My latest was 390 in half from the bank and I got 12 40% and 1 90% and 1 proof coin. Not bad, a few weeks ago I bought 6 rolls of halfs from the bank and 4 rolls and 2 coins were all 40% silver and that was a great find.
For dimes on average I find about 1 silver for every 100$ searched not very good but they still are out there and thats rolls from the reserve. I dont like reserve rolls I dont want 1 coiin in $100 I want the chance to get full rolls from poeple who dont know or care about silver. With reserve rolls thats not going to happen you will be lucky with one here and there. I dont bother ordering from the reserve though i have never had good luck with it. I make the bulk of my silver off the people who return it to the bank not knowing what they are doing and I get them before the teller search or I know the banks where they dont look. I do have a couple of hunny holes where the tellers know me and dont ask questions.

PS you should never go out of your way for a hunt with the price of gas you are already in the hole if you find yourself in another part of town hit the banks up why not.:D

HAC
1st May 2012, 21:00
I have to say that when I first read about coin roll hunting from this thread I was pretty interested to see how this really would turn out. So after reading the posts for almost three hours into the early morning with work in four hours I was certainly going to find out what all this hoopla is about. The next day I went to work to tell one of my silver buddies about it, and his eyes lit up. So I send him to to the bank to ask about getting rolls, or if we could, some boxes depending how much they would sell. Since we know the tellers in the bank she showed him her tray of coins she had. Inside of this tray in the wide open were 5 Kennedy halves (40%) which he had seen immediately, and bought them. He came back with these coins and my eyes just lit up! I then rushed back to bank and ordered the $500 dollar box of halves. So two days go by and the box of coins came in. We waited until after work to open the box, and what do you know....20 silver coins came out of the box...18 Kennedy halves 40%, and 2 Franklin halves!!!! That's 25 silver coins in two days. It's for real, and I'm hooked!!!!!

broox419
1st May 2012, 22:15
I have to say that when I first read about coin roll hunting from this thread I was pretty interested to see how this really would turn out. So after reading the posts for almost three hours into the early morning with work in four hours I was certainly going to find out what all this hoopla is about. The next day I went to work to tell one of my silver buddies about it, and his eyes lit up. So I send him to to the bank to ask about getting rolls, or if we could, some boxes depending how much they would sell. Since we know the tellers in the bank she showed him her tray of coins she had. Inside of this tray in the wide open were 5 Kennedy halves (40%) which he had seen immediately, and bought them. He came back with these coins and my eyes just lit up! I then rushed back to bank and ordered the $500 dollar box of halves. So two days go by and the box of coins came in. We waited until after work to open the box, and what do you know....20 silver coins came out of the box...18 Kennedy halves 40%, and 2 Franklin halves!!!! That's 25 silver coins in two days. It's for real, and I'm hooked!!!!!

Good to hear HAC, here on the west coast it seems like it's all dried up so I gave it a rest. Next week I will order another couple of boxes hopefully with more success than the last few boxes I've though :(

msarro
2nd May 2012, 11:57
Welp, I decided to give this a shot. Why not, the worst that happens is I walk across the street when I get home to the bank there. They have a counting machine! :) I work in a city, so there is no shortage of banks. However, shortage of cash on hand is a different story. Today I picked up one roll of half dollars (no dice here) and 3 rolls of dimes. I'll also start digging through my piggy bank when I get home and see. I honestly never thought of doing this before. For those of you who get large batches of coins, do you just phone the bank ahead of time and say "hey, I'll need 500$ worth of half dollars?" The PNC I stopped in said that I was lucky that they had one, they usually don't have them on hand.

HAC
2nd May 2012, 19:28
Good to hear HAC, here on the west coast it seems like it's all dried up so I gave it a rest. Next week I will order another couple of boxes hopefully with more success than the last few boxes I've though :(

Ahhhh! So I see what everyone means. So it seems we might have gotten lucky after all. We just got two boxes of $500 dollar halves today and got absolutely nothing!!! As it turns out someone must have beaten us to the punch because the box we got today has already been gone through. I have to say it was very disappointing!!! So we will keep trying and let our luck carry us through. So there are no guarantees but it's definitely worth a shot....I guess we have to keep trying broox419!! In the mean time it will not hinder me from accumulating my silver!!

broox419
2nd May 2012, 21:07
Welp, I decided to give this a shot. Why not, the worst that happens is I walk across the street when I get home to the bank there. They have a counting machine! :) I work in a city, so there is no shortage of banks. However, shortage of cash on hand is a different story. Today I picked up one roll of half dollars (no dice here) and 3 rolls of dimes. I'll also start digging through my piggy bank when I get home and see. I honestly never thought of doing this before. For those of you who get large batches of coins, do you just phone the bank ahead of time and say "hey, I'll need 500$ worth of half dollars?" The PNC I stopped in said that I was lucky that they had one, they usually don't have them on hand.

I usually let the a branch manager at a US Bank know on Monday what to order and they have them by Thursday evening. He is really cool about ordering them so I never have to worry about getting them. There was another branch manager that charged me $5 to do it so I don't go there anymore. It's pretty much like playing roulette. I've never had a box net more than 4 silvers but have had 4 boxes net me nothin'. I seem to have a lot more success by finding them in a teller's drawer than actually order the boxes from the Federal Reserve but I will try again next week....

Silverbulldog
9th May 2012, 16:37
i Started into Coin roll hunting recently just for fun and to see if i could find anything.

i got $50 worth of half dollars on my first pick up and netted 12 Silver Half dollars...only 1 was 90% and the others 40% but pretty good for just a small lot of $50

The next lot i got was a couple days ago..a box of $500 worth of half dollars...I only found 1 40% silver half.

i could not believe in $50 worth i found 12 coins but in $500 i only found 1!
it must have been dumb luck the first go around..or i got super unlucky on the second go around.

either way i almost jumped out of my seat and could not stop smiling while unraveling the first batch.

its pretty fun..anyone in the US search anything other than halfs and find any silver?

Silverbulldog

Ghost71
23rd May 2012, 09:54
Wow, I had figured the banks would have prevented this by some means by now. Does anyone else besides Silverbulldog have recent success in this? If so, maybe I'll mess around with it. I could easily get $1000 work of half dollars and do it once in a while.

clr8ter
25th May 2012, 20:31
Originally Posted by SilverChris

In reply, Originally posted by Maplesilverbug:
Did you READ this entire thread?

On one of the first pages I gave the odds of finding a silver-content coin based upon a sample of ~300,000 coins -- 1 in every 370 (or 0.3%).

Shoulda played the lotto instead.

p.s. -- the chance of Down Syndrome is 1 in every 700.

Yeah, read the thread, it's ENTIRELY a crap shoot.......

Silverbulldog
25th June 2012, 15:35
i think it depends on which banks you go to. I find that lower income areas normally net more silver...The uneducated turn their silver in for FRN all the time.

the $500 boxes from the Mint seem like they are already sorted...i could be wrong here

broox419
27th June 2012, 00:01
One box Friday...skunk. Another box today...skunk. How depressing:???: A couple of my co-workers suggest that I order them from a bank many miles away if I know I am going to be in the vicinity. For now I give up. Better luck to you all!

clr8ter
27th June 2012, 07:32
the $500 boxes from the Mint seem like they are already sorted...i could be wrong here

You don't say? Since they're all brand new, made this year, they're GUARANTEED NOT to contain silver. The boxes from the bank, which are from companies (not the Mint), that take in banks' change, sort them into denominations, and repackage them, do not sort out the silver, I believe. Therefore, it depends on who brings what to the bank. Probably a better way to get silver is to make friends with the tellers, and show them how to look for the silver ones, and to save it for you, and offer them more than face value in return for doing it.

Matthew Shelley
27th June 2012, 11:05
You don't say? Since they're all brand new, made this year, they're GUARANTEED NOT to contain silver. The boxes from the bank, which are from companies (not the Mint), that take in banks' change, sort them into denominations, and repackage them, do not sort out the silver, I believe. Therefore, it depends on who brings what to the bank. Probably a better way to get silver is to make friends with the tellers, and show them how to look for the silver ones, and to save it for you, and offer them more than face value in return for doing it.

If you talk your bank teller into that, they probably won't get to keep their job for too long.

gmoney000
29th June 2012, 23:02
Soo.... fairly new here and just did 2 boxes of halves and got completely SKUNKED... I was hoping at least to find one to give me hope...

Can anyone give me tips or any words of wisdom/hope to cheer me up? haha thanks!

clr8ter
30th June 2012, 05:32
Sooo, what is the difference between family members, and you, or me? And what would the bank care? They don't separate the silver, as long as the teller ends up with the right amount in her drawer at the end of the day......Although I wouldn't go advertising this deal by trumpeting it from the highest mountain, either.......

Gmoney, you must not have read this whole thread, huh?

broox419
30th June 2012, 10:37
Soo.... fairly new here and just did 2 boxes of halves and got completely SKUNKED... I was hoping at least to find one to give me hope...

Can anyone give me tips or any words of wisdom/hope to cheer me up? haha thanks!

It's totally a crapshoot. I started out well but it seems like there are other CRH's out there doing the same thing we're doing.

SilverChris
3rd July 2012, 17:08
I got a roll of 90% silver.........for 18 x face......stop wasting yer life and get silver quick and easy. Maybe not cheap....but quick n easy