PDA

View Full Version : Monex fishy?

Daveman
24th March 2008, 04:02
I bought 600 silver eagles from Monex on 3/17/08, about a week ago. Just received the "written confirmation" in the mail today. While everything on the paper is correct, including the date and the $ amount paid ($13,245.75), as well as the merchandise description ("Silver Amer Eagle Purchase), in the "bought" column, I only see the number 6.

6, NOT 600. And in the "unit price" column, I see the number 2175. 2175, NOT 21.75.

I will call them up first thing in the morning, but from some of the veterans in the silver game, is this something I should be worried about??

I mean, the date, as well as the item descripiton (silver amer eagles), and the total amount paid ($13,245) are all on the paper. So obviously, even if they're trying to fraud me, NO COURT WOULD BELIEVE THAT I PAID $2,175 FOR EACH SILVER AMERICAN EALGE, right?

I only ask becaues that number 6 in the bought column just looks so suspicous, like a freaking eyesore. And they got EVERY OTHER number right, except the "unit price" which says 2175 (instead of 21.75), which is also very suspicoius.

Am I just a little too paranoid here?

Thanks for all the advice.

silverbuggy
24th March 2008, 04:23
send a pic of it so that we can have a look.

Daveman
24th March 2008, 04:30
Don't have a scanner at the moment, but the number are as I've described.

I just realized something; could their 6 mean 6 100 coin rolls?? I think Monex only sell Silver Eagels in 100 unit quanities. So 6 would mean 6 100 rolls, right?

Also, (now you're all going to think I'm paranoid) I'll be picking up my silver next Friday. I know that (members here told me) Silver Eagles are EXTREMELY difficult to counterfeit, but, if YOU are buying silver eagles today at some local dealer, surely you would do something to check if the silver eagle you're buying is real or not?

What would be something I can do to check silver eagles? Can I still knock on them with a hammer and try to listen for that echoing ring?

silverbuggy
24th March 2008, 04:54
http://goldismoney.info/forums/showthread.php?p=1026219#post1026219

Daveman
24th March 2008, 07:05
The old hammer trick is the way to go with silver eagles also, I take it?

Kelly
24th March 2008, 08:25
Relax, Daveman. Anytime you buy anything in an advertised package of more than one, whether it is package of 12 or 100 etc. you will only see the number of packages bought and the price of each package on the emailed receipt, rather than the individual units that were bought. As an example, if I were buying a package of 12 silver beads that sold for $2 each bead, I would see 1 unit @ $24 on the receipt, rather than 12 units at $2 each.

I doubt seriously if you have to beat a silver eagle with a hammer. In order to produce a fake silver eagle, somebody would have to have a perfect mold of a silver eagle, be able to mold lead or nickle and have a silver plating machine. Those machines are not cheap.

MONEX, or for that matter any of the large commercial dealers, would NEVER sell counterfeit eagles. If they did, they'd not only be out of business in nothing flat; they'd be rotting in a Federal prison for their efforts.

I think silver would have to go much, much higher before you would see anybody producing fakes. If fakes ever do become an issue, you would be much, much more likely to see them coming from e-bay purchases rather than from the big commercial silver dealers.

E-bay is famous for it's fake and knock-off merchandise advertised as the real thing. If there were fakes out there, you'd probably see them first on e-bay.

silverside
24th March 2008, 17:24
Daveman, MONEX calls 100 eagles a "round". Therefore you bought "6 rounds of eagles".
Don't worry, MONEX has it right for you. Delivery is slow right now however.

Daveman
24th March 2008, 23:22
Relax, Daveman. Anytime you buy anything in an advertised package of more than one, whether it is package of 12 or 100 etc. you will only see the number of packages bought and the price of each package on the emailed receipt, rather than the individual units that were bought. As an example, if I were buying a package of 12 silver beads that sold for $2 each bead, I would see 1 unit @ $24 on the receipt, rather than 12 units at $2 each.

I doubt seriously if you have to beat a silver eagle with a hammer. In order to produce a fake silver eagle, somebody would have to have a perfect mold of a silver eagle, be able to mold lead or nickle and have a silver plating machine. Those machines are not cheap.

MONEX, or for that matter any of the large commercial dealers, would NEVER sell counterfeit eagles. If they did, they'd not only be out of business in nothing flat; they'd be rotting in a Federal prison for their efforts.

I think silver would have to go much, much higher before you would see anybody producing fakes. If fakes ever do become an issue, you would be much, much more likely to see them coming from e-bay purchases rather than from the big commercial silver dealers.

E-bay is famous for it's fake and knock-off merchandise advertised as the real thing. If there were fakes out there, you'd probably see them first on e-bay.
Thanks Kelly, your advice is much appreciated. I take it I should not be so paranoid when purchasing 100 oz Johnson and Matthey bulliond either (next purchase)? From Monex again, I think...

Daveman
24th March 2008, 23:23
Daveman, MONEX calls 100 eagles a "round". Therefore you bought "6 rounds of eagles".
Don't worry, MONEX has it right for you. Delivery is slow right now however.

Thanks Silverside; I live about 30 miles from Monex, so I plan on picking up my stuff myself.