PDA

View Full Version : Is Now A Good Time To Buy Silver?

BmR
18th March 2008, 12:40
Thats the real question i want to know, yesterday i bought 4 1oz American eagles and was thinking about going back and buying more. But is now really a good time to buy?

offgrid
18th March 2008, 12:54
Hello BmR; I am hoping to pull some locked up money tomorrow, and I will be going to pick up some silver. If it dips afterward, not a big concern, I'm holding long term, and consider it 'honest'; someone had to extract it, refine it, mint it, therefore all along the line the workers are worthy of their wages, whereas fiat, who is worthy? That and I don't trust banks!

BmR
18th March 2008, 13:55
anyone else have another opinion?

gypsybiker45
18th March 2008, 13:57
I agree, its going to bounce about a bit, but if your buying physical silver,as you stated you are,your already planning long term,ive overpaid for the day many times, but in the end its more valuable now than when i bought it 20 yrs from now i doubt Silver eagles will be made any longer, and youll still have 1oz of .999 AG and a semi-numistatic rarity to bit.

waynetheking
18th March 2008, 14:02
been buying for 20 years. started at 5 bucks and now it's 20. i still have all of it. dollar cost average applys in silver as it does the stock market. if your looking for long term then buy now. if you want to make a quick kill then i would sit tight for a couple of weeks!

BmR
18th March 2008, 16:49
do you guys think it could get 30+ or 50+?

SilverTrees
18th March 2008, 18:07
If you are asking based on US$ I say it could reach infinity :!: :cool:

Irons
18th March 2008, 18:08

Easily, and it should be over $50 now.The powers that want cheap silver will not be able to keep it held down forever, and thats whats happening now.
To compare market trends look @ ebay.Prices keep going up as the supply of the most desireable silver go's down, regardless what the spot price does.
Go price some engelhard 10oz bars or 10 1oz rounds.way over spot.

chux03
18th March 2008, 21:30

Just think of it like the lottery...you can't win IF you don't play.

Don't buy it all today or tomorrow. The point is JUST BUY SOME. NOW.

In the following link, this guy thinks that someday in the not-too-distant-future you may be able to buy a house with 500 ounces of silver OR 40 ounces of gold. Read the following article and then BUY ACCORDINGLY...

http://www.321gold.com/editorials/laborde/laborde031808.html

Daveman
19th March 2008, 03:09
Hey guys, I have a question about the "long term," as most of you recommend. Would, say, 12 months be considered long term? More specifically, early next year? Silver at $20 still? Maybe even lower? Thanks.

chux03
19th March 2008, 03:40
Would, say, 12 months be considered long term? More specifically, early next year? Silver at $20 still? Maybe even lower? Thanks.

I would think so in a market as tiny and volatile as silver, yes 12 months could be considered long term.
If you think silver is still going to be at $20 "early next year", why would you buy any? Early next year, I don't even know if there'll be a dollar around any more let alone what the price of silver may be. Seems to me that the next bank that goes down the drain or, let me say this...when the next (part) of the current financial calamity falls on us, that event will undoubtedly make gold take off and that should drag silver up along with it.
I can even condense it down further for you: THE PRICE OF SILVER WILL GO UP!! (for the foreseeable future and NOT in a straight line)
Tell you what...you read this article I have linked right here:

http://www.321gold.com/editorials/laborde/laborde031808.html

and then come back here and tell us how much silver you're buying and what YOU think the price is going to do "in the long term" of a year. Your guess will be as good as anyone else's...

Daveman
19th March 2008, 04:19
I know what you're saying, Chuck, but why speculate?

Bear Stearns has already failed. Where's the explosion in Gold and Silver? Yes, they're being manipulated, just as they will be manipulated still when the next domino falls, no? So why should I expect silver to take off a year from now, unless the Chinese are finally strong enough to hand America its first decisive military defeat by then?

BmR
19th March 2008, 09:50
I know what you're saying, Chuck, but why speculate?

Bear Stearns has already failed. Where's the explosion in Gold and Silver? Yes, they're being manipulated, just as they will be manipulated still when the next domino falls, no? So why should I expect silver to take off a year from now, unless the Chinese are finally strong enough to hand America its first decisive military defeat by then?
he is right it has gone down to 18ish now. does anyone have an answer?

chux03
19th March 2008, 12:14
"I know what you're saying, Chuck, but why speculate?"

Because I don't consider anything I presently have in the way of physical silver to be held "on speculation". Silver IS going up and I don't see what's speculative about that. At this stage, any presently held silver is (more of) an investment.
Now if I was holding a share of mining stock, I'd consider paper assets to be speculative. Oh sure, they could be good investments too but (in my case) sub $10 silver as being speculative?? Not in my book...

Daveman
19th March 2008, 17:15
"I know what you're saying, Chuck, but why speculate?"

Because I don't consider anything I presently have in the way of physical silver to be held "on speculation". Silver IS going up and I don't see what's speculative about that. At this stage, any presently held silver is (more of) an investment.
Now if I was holding a share of mining stock, I'd consider paper assets to be speculative. Oh sure, they could be good investments too but (in my case) sub $10 silver as being speculative?? Not in my book...

I understand (i think) and agree with you if you're saying that the fundamentals of silver should make silver ALOT more expensive than it is right now.

But what I'm trying to get at, is that the silver manipulators will still be trying to manipulate silver a year down the road, as they have the past years. So what can possibly happen to break the manipulation in the course of next few years???