PDA

View Full Version : 20 oz Engelhard Silver Bar

mellows
14th March 2009, 21:43
Good Day,

Strange question. I just purchased a 20 oz Engelhard old style poured bar. Ive been looking around online and I have not been able to find this bar on Google. Have any of you purchased a 20 oz Engelhard? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again,

Katwoman
14th March 2009, 23:12
I see them advertised on ebay but everything is 1, 10 or 100 oz

mellows
14th March 2009, 23:46
It is strange. Ive seen 20 oz Engelhards at Albern Coin but I cant find them anywhere else.

Argyria
14th March 2009, 23:53
That sounds like a very unusual bar. I've heard of 5's and 50's (NWTM makes 5's), but I've never even heard of a 20 before now.

krispy
15th March 2009, 01:18
I just picked upa 20 ounce JM. I love it, just the right weight.

I wish I had an englehard...20 ounce...how much?

I paid 394 can

JesterJay
15th March 2009, 03:56
I've seen 20's and 25's and even 3 oz. and other odd-ball sizes from Engelhard and others.
Most were made quite some time ago and are rare and bring a substantial premium on ebay or in a LCS.
I grab the odd stuff whenever it is reasonable and resell to buy even MORE shiny!
JesterJay

Good Day,

Strange question. I just purchased a 20 oz Engelhard old style poured bar. Ive been looking around online and I have not been able to find this bar on Google. Have any of you purchased a 20 oz Engelhard? Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks again,

mellows
15th March 2009, 10:52
I'm a real bargain hunter. Paid $350 CDN. Its a beautiful piece. Im glad someone has found a 20 ozer other than me. I'm looking to get another. They stack nice.

mellows
15th March 2009, 10:54
When did Engelhard stop pouring? Krispy did you get yours on Ebay?

krispy
15th March 2009, 13:31
nah mines johnson mathey, and I got it from diverse equities.

Man, I want one, good price too, i overpaid I guess. dam, i wish I was in calgary more often!

mellows
15th March 2009, 18:01
I dont think you overpaid. Anything I think now under $20/oz is an OK buy. Are you in Alta Krispy? I heard there is a huge bullion show in Edmonton this weekend. Went on the hunt today and bullion bars were very sparse in Calgary because of this.

akak
15th March 2009, 18:05
Mellows,

I have one 20 oz. Englehard bar as well --- purchased it last summer from a local dealer. It appears to be quite old; the dealer thought that they were made in the 1970's. It has a small "ENGLEHARD" stamped on it, with a small, odd, astrological-looking symbol over the "D" of the name.

mellows
15th March 2009, 18:37
That's the exact bar. Nice bar I think. I found a good deal on a kilo that I'm trying to peruse.

mkman
19th March 2009, 10:30
Engelhard came out with many odd sizes,

3 oz, 100 gram, 4 oz, 5 oz, 7 oz, 20 oz, 25 oz, 50 oz I believe, etc

Now JM has some odd sizes too:

3 oz, 100 gram, 4 oz , 5 oz, 7 oz, 14 oz, 1/2 kilo, 20 oz, etc

All of them I listed above fetch a nice premium and I just love the old pour look to them.

krispy
19th March 2009, 15:47
I dont think you overpaid. Anything I think now under $20/oz is an OK buy. Are you in Alta Krispy? I heard there is a huge bullion show in Edmonton this weekend. Went on the hunt today and bullion bars were very sparse in Calgary because of this.

yes, Im up in edmonton, but use my calgary contact for many purchases. I 've picked upa bit from Albern a couple times

And yes, one of the largest coin shows was here last weekend.. I wanted to go and see what there was to see, but I've heard that any PM's at a show like this are way overpriced anyhow, so I didnt.

Would have been cool to go just the same. maybe next year.

mellows
19th March 2009, 16:30
Are there every any in Calgary? Do you find MRCS to be very overpriced lately? Maples were $25.50 just awhile ago when silver was down. I don't think ill be going there much longer. Ive found finding private silver deals to be much better.

krispy
19th March 2009, 17:22
I think MRCS is overpriced ALL the time. when spot falls, his price never does. it almost seems like his price goes up if spot falls. the only way to get the best deal from him is to order 14 weeks out. and then its still not as good as others. I really only stop there to get a fix and a specialty coin once in a while.

not much competition for him here tho...I only know of him and National for bullion, theres a place in West-Ed mall but that guy is not selling to investors, he's selling to shoppers. crazy high prices...he asked $27CDN for an ounce! like 2 weeks ago!

mellows
19th March 2009, 17:41
These bullion dealers remind me of big oil giants taking our money through pumps. Its almost robbery and people fall for it. I know I have back when. Does National in Edmonton have a site?

Argyria
19th March 2009, 23:13
7 oz silver bars?! But why? That sounds as funky as a 3 dollar bill.

krispy
20th March 2009, 00:04
nah, they (National) dont have a site. he's just an old shopkeeper, probably been there forever. he's priced pretty high, but he has some seriously sweet coins in there (RCM lineup). and picks up the odd piece here and there..i stop by to see if he took anything weird in. but i dont stop there for deals.

you should try diverse or jaxville in calgary, if you havent already.

Bullitt
20th March 2009, 07:49
A 20 oz bar is a standard size over here.I did just pick up a geomin (not sure where its from) 248gram (7oz?)bar.Very dull & tarnished but very interesting hence the buy.

mellows
20th March 2009, 10:17
Where do you get your odd sized bars?