PDA

View Full Version : Year set of popular world silver bullion coins

auptag
14th March 2009, 04:17
For those of you interested in things besides random chunks of metal... ;) tell me what you might add. Time to play SUPER UNCLE. It's birthday time and my nephew is getting a little older. I want to make this bday gift special so I decided to get him some silver gub'mint coins from 'round the world...all 2009

I am looking to simultaneously 1) Get my nephew into numismatics, 2) Get him into silver, and 3) Be the best uncle EVER.

So, here's what I have:
2009 ASE Uncirc
2009 Kook Uncirc
2009 Maple on the way??
2009 Phil? (Don't own any of these or know if I like them yet)

What would you add/change? What would be your ideal year set (assuming money is no object....which, of course...it IS!) I've never collected outside of US coinage and I am new to maples and kooks (but I already LOVE THEM both) Any other "major" world 1oz gov't minted silver bullion coins that I don't know about? Thanks.

rudy
14th March 2009, 05:37
I would add the Chinese Panda and Mexican Libertad. Not sure if the Libertad is still minted though and I don't see as many.

goldminer
14th March 2009, 06:23
A Britiania for sure...and ditto a (new) 1996-date style Libertad.
You don't say how old your nephew is but if possible I would consider getting coins that are dated his birth year.

digger
14th March 2009, 12:03
What about the New Zealand Kiwi?

mark2112gum
14th March 2009, 12:15
Don't forget the Canadian Olympic Maple Leaf, (there are 2 for 2009, one regular maple leaf, and the olympic maple leaf which features a firebird on the reverse it's a lovely coin).

auptag
14th March 2009, 12:21
Yeah, he was born in '96. Anhywoo...thought about doing a birthyear set. Due to the year I'd keep the ASE and kook, but I'd loose the Phil, right? Not sure about the Maples but I'm sure I'd probably keep that. Add to that the fact that he WOULD have to been born in '96....NOT exactly the cheapest year for Silver Eagles! :eek:

As for Libertads, Pandas, and Kiwis....I will look into these. Don't know when they started making them, but if everything is available in '96 then I may consider ditching the Phil in lieu of paying a lot more for the eagle.

I mean....technically all the '96's should probably cost more than their '09 couterparts. Hmm....go the "cheap" route...or the more thoughtful route?? Decisions, decisions...

auptag
14th March 2009, 12:27
Don't forget the Canadian Olympic Maple Leaf, (there are 2 for 2009, one regular maple leaf, and the olympic maple leaf which features a firebird on the reverse it's a lovely coin).

Oh....haha....well.....fantastic. Great. More money! Keep the coins rolling in. After all....I am made of FRNs. :)