PDA

View Full Version : Alas, poor Blackhawk, I knew you well...

Steadfast
18th January 2012, 11:51
For my birthday, My wife is sending me to Conceal Carry Class. How cool is THAT?!?!

She, however, refused to allow me to "hit the silver" to buy a new Conceal Carry firearm out right...Bummer.
BUT... If I was willing to sell one weapon, to buy another, she was totally cool with that.

So...My totally cool Black hawk with custom grips and hand carved leather cowboy rig was what ended up on the sacrificial alter.
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/250582_215246051829614_100000326622548_728207_2127 081_n.jpg

Here is a photo of my old 357 blackhawk and leather bullet belt up for sale, by consignment...
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/396622_329279497092935_100000326622548_1117431_857 545956_n.jpg

Its gone now, but it sure was FUN while I had it! "Ya feelin lucky...PUNK!"
After all was said and done, I even made a $50 profit too! CHAAACHING!

The only thing was that my smoken Blackhawk was just not practical.
Not for a home defense gun (too long to reload)
Not as a conceament Weapon (Just too BIG and shinny)
With the proceeds I purchased my new conceal carry Smith & Wessen M&P 40 Compact,
with a belt, a holster, a duel leather Magazine case, 200 target rounds, 50 gold dot rounds,
the conceal carry class fees, and even the conceal carry permit registration fee.

Alas, poor Black hawk, I knew you well... (sigh)

With the proceeds I purchased my new Smith & Wessen M&P 40 Compact:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/images/firearms/detail_md/109003_01_md.jpg
Meet the M&P 40 Compact Pistol from Smith & Wesson.

Reinforced polymer chassis, superior ergonomics, ambidextrous controls, proven safety features. The new standard in reliability when your job is to serve and protect and your life is on the line.
In the design of the M&P, we considered the needs of military and law enforcement from every conceivable angle. No other polymer pistol offers this combination of versatility, durability and safety. ALL BACKED BY SMITH & WESSON'S LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.

With the proceeds I also purchased my new Galco SC2 Inside Pant Holster for S&W M&P 40:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41RHht-4o9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The SC2 is the perfect concealed carry holster for all seasons.
Lightweight and comfortable, it features a snap-on design that allows the holster to attach and detach from your belt without taking off your belt. Reinforced saddle leather construction retains its shape when the handgun is removed. The smooth-out leather construction rides comfortably against the body, and features a full combat grip for a quick and sure draw. A reinforced thumb-break retention strap lends the SC2 an enhanced level of security.

ALSO, I just SOOO scored some free gun stuff!

I was watching a youtube video which stated that if you buy a S&W M&P 40 compact, and send in a copy of the receipt to Smith and Wessen, that they will mail you either $50 or 2 free magazines. So, I called up the company on my break and asked if this rumor was true… They said “Not this year”… I told them “I would not have wanted the $50 but would have requested the 2 free $30 magazines!” The guy on the phone said “OK… I will send you 2 for free.”
And so he did! I get them in 2 weeks! Free postage too!
I have always said, "if you dont ask, you dont get, BUT if you do ask, somtimes you DO GET."
It can't hurt to ask! Always ask!
And I didn't even have to ask this time...
He just suprised me and said “OK… I will send you 2 for free.”
Man, was I pleasantly shocked...

All and all...I think I traided up...
Happy Birthday to ME...

Matthew Shelley
19th January 2012, 10:00
For my birthday, My wife is sending me to Conceal Carry Class. How cool is THAT?!?!
She, however, refused to allow me to "hit the silver" to buy a new Conceal Carry firearm out right...Bummer.
BUT... If I was willing to sell one weapon, to buy another, she was totally cool with that.
So...My totally cool Black hawk with custom grips and hand carved leather cowboy rig was what ended up on the sacrificial alter.
Here is a photo of my old 357 blackhawk and leather bullet belt up for sale, by consignment...
Its gone now, but it sure was FUN while I had it! "Ya feelin lucky...PUNK!"
After all was said and done, I even made a $50 profit too! CHAAACHING!
The only thing was that my smoken Blackhawk was just not practical.
Not for a home defense gun (too long to reload)
Not as a conceament Weapon (Just too BIG and shinny)
With the proceeds I purchased my new conceal carry Smith & Wessen M&P 40 Compact,
with a belt, a holster, a duel leather Magazine case, 200 target rounds, 50 gold dot rounds,
the conceal carry class fees, and even the conceal carry permit registration fee.
Alas, poor Black hawk, I knew you well... (sigh)
With the proceeds I purchased my new Smith & Wessen M&P 40 Compact:
Meet the M&P 40 Compact Pistol from Smith & Wesson.
Reinforced polymer chassis, superior ergonomics, ambidextrous controls, proven safety features. The new standard in reliability when your job is to serve and protect and your life is on the line.
In the design of the M&P, we considered the needs of military and law enforcement from every conceivable angle. No other polymer pistol offers this combination of versatility, durability and safety. ALL BACKED BY SMITH & WESSON'S LIFETIME SERVICE POLICY.
With the proceeds I also purchased my new Galco SC2 Inside Pant Holster for S&W M&P 40:
The SC2 is the perfect concealed carry holster for all seasons.
Lightweight and comfortable, it features a snap-on design that allows the holster to attach and detach from your belt without taking off your belt. Reinforced saddle leather construction retains its shape when the handgun is removed. The smooth-out leather construction rides comfortably against the body, and features a full combat grip for a quick and sure draw. A reinforced thumb-break retention strap lends the SC2 an enhanced level of security.
ALSO, I just SOOO scored some free gun stuff!
I was watching a youtube video which stated that if you buy a S&W M&P 40 compact, and send in a copy of the receipt to Smith and Wessen, that they will mail you either $50 or 2 free magazines. So, I called up the company on my break and asked if this rumor was true… They said “Not this year”… I told them “I would not have wanted the $50 but would have requested the 2 free $30 magazines!” The guy on the phone said “OK… I will send you 2 for free.”
And so he did! I get them in 2 weeks! Free postage too!
I have always said, "if you dont ask, you dont get, BUT if you do ask, somtimes you DO GET."
It can't hurt to ask! Always ask!
And I didn't even have to ask this time...
He just suprised me and said “OK… I will send you 2 for free.”
Man, was I pleasantly shocked...
All and all...I think I traided up...
Happy Birthday to ME...

The long gun certainly was an attractive piece, but the new one seems much more practical. Especially for the purposes of concealed carry. You will need to spend some time on the practice range with it, particularly to get accustomed to the first shot kick in order to take the second. The .357 would have had a more stable nose weight, and likely a much slower trigger pull rate.

Steadfast
19th January 2012, 11:25
The .357 has a much slower trigger pull rate especially because it was single action... ;)

Using my Glock 21 and my new 40 compact,
I am working on my recognition of the trigger reset threshold and a quick re-pull action while maintaining accuracy.
This is not easy...

I have also discovered that after my first shot, was consistently hitting my target low and left.
After, buying some dummy rounds and having them randomly loaded in my magazines,
I learned that I was anticipating the mechanical action of the pistol.
And that, I also had wrongly trained myself to squeeze the grip with my trigger hand (right) when firing.

So, my latest challenge is to concentrate on squeezing the pistol with my left hand,
allowing my firing hand to simply lightly hold the pistol, and to not anticipate the
pistol firing when pulling the trigger.

When I focus and remember to do all this, at least until it becomes muscle memory/habit,
I am consistently hitting my target at 20 yards with a ten round pattern that fits inside a peanut butter lid.

but as soon as I don't concentrate on all the above factors...Splat!
I am all over the place again...

This never happened with the single action Blackhawk revolver...

Matthew Shelley
19th January 2012, 11:47
The .357 has a much slower trigger pull rate especially because it was single action... ;)
Using my Glock 21 and my new 40 compact,
I am working on my recognition of the trigger reset threshold and a quick re-pull action while maintaining accuracy.
This is not easy...
I have also discovered that after my first shot, was consistently hitting my target low and left.
After, buying some dummy rounds and having them randomly loaded in my magazines,
I learned that I was anticipating the mechanical action of the pistol.
And that, I also had wrongly trained myself to squeeze the grip with my trigger hand (right) when firing.
So, my latest challenge is to concentrate on squeezing the pistol with my left hand,
allowing my firing hand to simply lightly hold the pistol, and to not anticipate the
pistol firing when pulling the trigger.
When I focus and remember to do all this, at least until it becomes muscle memory/habit,
I am consistently hitting my target at 20 yards with a ten round pattern that fits inside a peanut butter lid.
but as soon as I don't concentrate on all the above factors...Splat!
I am all over the place again...
This never happened with the single action Blackhawk revolver...

I have always had trouble with lighter guns. I tend to overpower them. With my double barrelled 12, I could never miss a bird. When my mom would hand me her 16 I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I would guess that if I did some practice with your S&W I would have the same problem initially of shooting lower on following shots

silverheartbone
19th January 2012, 12:18
The further this thread goes, the more I think of the Bernard Goetz (http://www.biography.com/people/bernhard-goetz-578520) mindset.

silverheartbone
19th January 2012, 13:21
Arrested Man Smuggled 10-Inch Gun Into Jail Cell Cops Say (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/16/man-hides-gun-in-rectum_n_1208666.html)

Steadfast
19th January 2012, 14:19
We were simply talking about shooting techniques...
and you (as you ALWAYS DO) highjacked the topic with your typical ignorant,
weak kneed, limp wristed, liberal wacko fringe veiws...

I read about Bernard...
He did nothing wrong except neglecting to finish off all 4 of his attackers and then fleeing the scene.

All he had to do was "put down" the 4th thug, holster his fire arm, wait for the Police,
and then politly tell the cops that he was "in fear of his life" and "I want to talk to a lawyer"...
Thats it!

Had he done this, he would have paid a heafty fine for having a Gun in NY City (stupid backward liberal town)
and then been on his merry way...

Steadfast
19th January 2012, 14:22
The Gun is Civilization – Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and
force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of
either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under
threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two
categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact
through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social
interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the
personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use
reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your
threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal
footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing
with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a
carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity
in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and
a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad
force equations. These are the people who think that we’d be more
civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes
it easier for an armed mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only
true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by
choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a
mugger’s potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the
immoral young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a
civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a
successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force
monopoly.

Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that
otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in
several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the
physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.
People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute
lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out
of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal
force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the
stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.
The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an
octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter. It simply
wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and
easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but
because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I
cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid,
but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions
of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of
those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation…
and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed
and can only be persuaded, never forced.

Steadfast
19th January 2012, 14:49
I have always had trouble with lighter guns. I tend to overpower them. With my double barrelled 12, I could never miss a bird. When my mom would hand me her 16 I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. I would guess that if I did some practice with your S&W I would have the same problem initially of shooting lower on following shots

Have you had the chance to fire the Glock 21? It is my favorite weapon!
http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/45/21/21.gif
It is virtually indestructible, with amazing reliable shooting accuracy after suffering any form of abuse imaginable.
I use it to defend my home... Nothing like firing the stopping power of a .45 ACP bullet down range!
And if some criminally inclined idiot decides he wants to endanger my family at home,
the .45 caliber bullets's massive damage/knockdown power will insure that his idiocy ends quickly...

Matthew Shelley
19th January 2012, 15:39
Have you had the chance to fire the Glock 21? It is my favorite weapon!
http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/45/21/21.gif
It is virtually indestructible, with amazing reliable shooting accuracy after suffering any form of abuse imaginable.
I use it to defend my home... Nothing like firing the stopping power of a .45 ACP bullet down range!
And if some criminally inclined idiot decides he wants to endanger my family at home,
the .45 caliber bullets's massive damage/knockdown power will insure that his idiocy ends quickly...

I haven't. I know that it's favored by a lot of people. These days, they don't allow handguns in my city, so my only chances to visit a range would be when I leave the city.

Steadfast
19th January 2012, 15:52
I haven't. I know that it's favored by a lot of people. These days, they don't allow handguns in my city, so my only chances to visit a range would be when I leave the city.
Stupid backward liberal commie town.... NY City Sucks...

Heck, you should come on down to NC. sometime,
where actual Free Americains still live!
Me and Mine will take ya "shooten" if ya do...

In fact you should just MOVE down here.
That way you can actually live constitutionally, as a trully free US citizen...

Matthew Shelley
19th January 2012, 16:19
Stupid backward liberal commie town.... NY City Sucks...
Heck, you should come on down to NC. sometime,
where actual Free Americains still live!
Me and Mine will take ya "shooten" if ya do..
In fact you should just MOVE down here.
That way you can actually live constitutionally, as a trully free US citizen...

Actually, mine is Chicago. But I do get to visit my homeland of Wisconsin from time to time. Up there, almost everyone hunts, so familiarity with guns is exceedingly common. Down here, the city kids are scared of game when it's presented for dinner. Up there your friends just say, "I hope you seared it properly this time.".

Steadfast
20th January 2012, 07:35
Any city that exposes you to more danger by
taking away your ability to defend yourself with a firearm,
thus empowering those with fire arms, who are already willing to break the law
is by definition a stupid backward liberal commie town.... like NYC...

I feel sorry for you man... You should move out...