PDA

View Full Version : Which do you prefer?

Stattman
11th March 2009, 07:34
Silver American Eagles, Canadian Maples, or Vienna Philharmonics?

Post which one you like best and why.

hideit
11th March 2009, 08:19
silver american eagles
they are more easily available
at least where I live

rudy
11th March 2009, 08:35
The cheapest.

Mylläri
11th March 2009, 09:51
Eagles then Maples, the percentage I own between the two is about 70% Eagles and 30% Maples. I only own one Philharmonic just for the sake of having one but I don't plan on buying any more.

ruggerbugger
11th March 2009, 12:31
Maples, they are just sexy! Well apart from the picture of the queen, lol. They are the most pure and seem to be cheaper than ASE. Phillies look nice, and are cheaper also. however there is something about the Maples that draws me to them. Picked some up this morning.

Stattman
11th March 2009, 12:50
Maples, they are just sexy! Well apart from the picture of the queen, lol. They are the most pure and seem to be cheaper than ASE. Phillies look nice, and are cheaper also. however there is something about the Maples that draws me to them. Picked some up this morning.

I completely agree. The Royal Canadian Mint needs to find a new face to put on the maple coins. The queen is just damned ugly and old too!

Ancona
11th March 2009, 13:12
Eagles 30%
Maples 10%
Kooks 10% [I got lucky and bought a pile from BD way back when]
90% quarters 15%
90% halves 15%
Silver dollars 5%
Dimes 5%
Phillies 5%
Generic 5%

Stattman
11th March 2009, 13:55
I dont know why most people dont have 50% ASE's and 50% maples.

I just see a better quality item with the maples than I do with the ASE's.

ASE's are very nice - I agree. But maples are almost proof just by themselves without being labeled as proof to add the premium.

So IMHO, Maples > ASE's

Stattman
11th March 2009, 16:05
I like the Kookaburras as much, if not more so, than the Maples, but probably won't get too many more of them since they have higher premiums (at least in my short time of experience).

Yeah, I have more Maples than Eagles for that very reason.

Any uneducated person who is shown a silver eagle thinks the whole coin total is 1 oz of silver, and that its pure... its not. They purity isnt listed and is very deceiving to an individual new to silver. You could say its very much like the US government today - full of lies and deceit. Thats maybe why the coin is like that.

Ancona
11th March 2009, 16:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancona http://forums.silverseek.com/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?p=48823#post48823)
Kooks 10% [I got lucky and bought a pile from BD way back when]

I like the Kookaburras as much, if not more so, than the Maples, but probably won't get too many more of them since they have higher premiums (at least in my short time of experience).

Like I said, i got lucky and picked them up for less than fourteen a while back from Bullion Direct. The fever wasn't quite underway then, and I got several hundred while I could. Actually, My daughters nick name is Kookaburra or "Kook" for short, so she absolutely loves them. She actually thought a Kookaburra was a little bear until she saw the bird on the coin.

clr8ter
11th March 2009, 16:24
Any uneducated person who is shown a silver eagle thinks the whole coin total is 1 oz of silver, and that its pure... its not. They purity isnt listed and is very deceiving to an individual new to silver. You could say its very much like the US government today - full of lies and deceit. Thats maybe why the coin is like that.

It IS one ounce fine silver, it says so on it. Fine silver is meant to say, .999 fine. So the coin weighs a very small fraction over one ounce, because of the other .001 oz. that is not silver. I still say it's nothing to concern yourself over.....

PSUDave
11th March 2009, 17:30
To me they are all the same, 1 oz. silver. When buying govt. issued silver, I buy what is the best deal. When the Maple/Phil is lower priced than the ASE, I take the CML/Phil every time.

fullsafe
11th March 2009, 18:01
The cheapest wins every time , after all , it's all going to get melted!

goldminer
11th March 2009, 18:29
Don't want to consider '96 to date Libertads?

hiyosilver
11th March 2009, 20:44
Some other countries have limits to how much foreign currency can be transferred into them. Since both, American Silver Eagles and Canadian Maples can be considered currency because they have a face value, they can be transferred. But since the face value of a Canadian Maple is five dollars Canadian, and the face value of an American Silver Eagle is one dollar American, then the silver eagle is by far an advantage in that five times as much silver can be transferred over those international borders. That is my theory anyway. If anyone can prove otherwise, I'd like to know about it, because I have plans to do just that.

valerb
11th March 2009, 21:56
My preference is no secret!!

maplesilverbug
7th April 2009, 21:48
I hold only Maples -- because I live in the Great White North, eh!

Also, if silver ever goes to $0/oz (theoretically anything can go to zero!), I will still have $5 of legal tender. I buy Maples for both the silver and the "cash back" -- essentially trading my $20 fiat bill for C$15 in silver and a C$5 coin all rolled (melted) into one.

Of course, if silver does ever hit zero...I think money will be the least of my worries!

fredrock
7th April 2009, 22:03
I hold only Maples -- because I live in the Great White North, eh!

Also, if silver ever goes to $0/oz (theoretically anything can go to zero!), I will still have $5 of legal tender. I buy Maples for both the silver and the "cash back" -- essentially trading my $20 fiat bill for C$15 in silver and a C$5 coin all rolled (melted) into one.

Of course, if silver does ever hit zero...I think money will be the least of my worries!

IMO... There is a million times better chance the government will tell you that the $5 is now 5 cents than the 1 ounce of silver being worthless.

Fred

mellows
7th April 2009, 22:08
I think Canadian Maples are my bullion coin of choice. The reasoning behind that is the purity. I've heard ASE's are not pure. Correct me if I'm wrong Canadian Maples being .9999 in place of the regular standard of .999. I admit that the maple is slightly dull but the detail of the edge turns my crank. Oh and for the face value of $5.00 compared to $1.

Maples all the way.

Bullitt
8th April 2009, 04:51
I know its not listed but the Kook does it for me every time.

Steadfast
8th April 2009, 07:37
I like the Kook's best too.
but I own only 1...($21) and cannot find any others anywhere. :(

For the life of me, there is not one maple leaf to be found in all of North Carolina... that is not marked up to $28...
and the koalas! $36/oz... forget it! :mad:

I can get eagles for $18 dollars each, cash and carry, all day LONG! :rolleyes:

The best deals around here are random rounds and boring bars... ($14-$16/oz.)

silverheartbone
8th April 2009, 09:33
I think Canadian Maples are my bullion coin of choice. The reasoning behind that is the purity. I've heard ASE's are not pure. Correct me if I'm wrong Canadian Maples being .9999 in place of the regular standard of .999. I admit that the maple is slightly dull but the detail of the edge turns my crank. Oh and for the face value of $5.00 compared to $1.

Maples all the way.
Neither Maples nor ASEs are pure silver.
Maples are only 9999/10000 pure.
ASEs are only 9993/10000 pure.

The major difference is that Maples have a picture of an old hag on the (usually hidden) side which celebrates aristocracy,
whereas the ASE celebrates beautiful liberty (IMHO the opposite and preferred political mode).

LoboNoches
8th April 2009, 11:14
Newbie here I have none of the above but was considering starting with Maples or Eagles since I can get them .75 cents cheaper than the spot price on Monex which would be more liquid when SHTF

LoboNoches
8th April 2009, 13:21
Also just found some Silver Phil for 15.45 a piece

maplesilverbug
8th April 2009, 19:33
I like the Kook's best too.
but I own only 1...($21) and cannot find any others anywhere. :(

For the life of me, there is not one maple leaf to be found in all of North Carolina... that is not marked up to $28...
and the koalas! $36/oz... forget it! :mad:

I can get eagles for $18 dollars each, cash and carry, all day LONG! :rolleyes:

The best deals around here are random rounds and boring bars... ($14-$16/oz.)

I'll send you my Maples for the low low price of only....$24/oz!!! That's a 14% savings for you!!!
I'm serious...let me know if you want any...

Neither Maples nor ASEs are pure silver.
Maples are only 9999/10000 pure.
ASEs are only 9993/10000 pure.

The major difference is that Maples have a picture of an old hag on the (usually hidden) side which celebrates aristocracy,
whereas the ASE celebrates beautiful liberty (IMHO the opposite and preferred political mode).

Uh, if you really think the grand ol' US of A is brimming full of liberty in this day and age, I advise you take another look. Liberty being defined as "the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views."

The good news is that silver and Mr. Market care not for liberty, fascism, or any other political teams. They only care about truth.

Steadfast
8th April 2009, 19:52
I'll send you my Maples for the low low price of only....$24/oz!!! That's a 14% savings for you!!!
I'm serious...let me know if you want any...

Sell me 2 for $20 each and we have a deal... :)

maplesilverbug
8th April 2009, 20:26
Sell me 2 for $20 each and we have a deal... :)

Two (2)??? I'll check shipping cost...but I think that might kill the deal. Any one have any inexpensive shipping ideas? How much are you willing to go on shipping? PM me or however this thing works (I'm one of them news on here) to discuss further.

maplesilverbug
8th April 2009, 20:33
Apologies to the forum et al. I wasn't intending to 'deal' on here. I'll read the rules first before posting again. Thanks.

rhonda15
9th April 2009, 17:52
silver eagles - they're just the prettiest

What is Truth?
9th April 2009, 18:06
Design is a personal choice or taste. Eagles are the best known of the three at least here in the U.S.. Maples have the highest face value on them. I too perfer the cheapest .999 silver I can buy. Silver is silver to me.