PDA

View Full Version : Silver Monark.

AG.Phil
15th March 2008, 17:42
As an Englishman I am only familier with the more common U.S. silver bullion pieces.
I recently purchased a 1oz silver Monark coin. Could anyone explain the origin of this coin/round to me and the significance of the word Monark? If so, I'd be very grateful.
Alan.

goldminer
15th March 2008, 19:58
Is it a private mint or government produced coin...and if government which one?

And what other information is on the piece?

AG.Phil
15th March 2008, 20:14
Is it a private mint or government produced coin...and if government which one?

And what other information is on the piece?

On one side is an eagle with a star on its breast and the words ONE SILVER MONARK.
On the other side a shield emblazoned with the words IN GOD WE TRUST.
Also on this side: SILVER MONARK. .999 FINE SILVER. ONE TROY OUNCE PURE SILVER.
Alan.

chux03
15th March 2008, 20:46
I'd say that was probably a private minting of some kind. The Monark Mint or the Monark Refiners or somebody like that, though those are just possibilities and fictitious. Long as it has the .999 Fine on it and it says 1 ounce silver (or some combination of the two) you should have no trouble selling it or trading it off. I know the local coin shop I frequent doesn't hesitate one bit...long as it says those two most important things. On the larger commercially minted bars he also would look for a hallmark of some kind. On a 1 kilo silver bar with the J&M label that I'm holding, there is a hallmark that says J M Ltd across the top, with a larger CANADA in the middle and at the bottom it says Assay Office. This little oval inside a square is so tiny that even with a magnifying glass I had a hard time figuring out exactly what it said, even after I cleaned the bar. But it's definitely a hallmark. One other thing I observed about this kilo bar. They must have had a TREMENDOUS punch or stamping machine to not only make these id marks on this bar deep and legible but you can actually see how the metal has really been mashed in those spots with tons? of force.
Anyways, it looks like you have some nice .999 fine silver that weighs 31.1 grams, which equals 1 troy ounce.

AG.Phil
17th March 2008, 18:06
I'd say that was probably a private minting of some kind. The Monark Mint or the Monark Refiners or somebody like that, though those are just possibilities and fictitious. Long as it has the .999 Fine on it and it says 1 ounce silver (or some combination of the two) you should have no trouble selling it or trading it off. I know the local coin shop I frequent doesn't hesitate one bit...long as it says those two most important things. On the larger commercially minted bars he also would look for a hallmark of some kind. On a 1 kilo silver bar with the J&M label that I'm holding, there is a hallmark that says J M Ltd across the top, with a larger CANADA in the middle and at the bottom it says Assay Office. This little oval inside a square is so tiny that even with a magnifying glass I had a hard time figuring out exactly what it said, even after I cleaned the bar. But it's definitely a hallmark. One other thing I observed about this kilo bar. They must have had a TREMENDOUS punch or stamping machine to not only make these id marks on this bar deep and legible but you can actually see how the metal has really been mashed in those spots with tons? of force.
Anyways, it looks like you have some nice .999 fine silver that weighs 31.1 grams, which equals 1 troy ounce.

Thank You.
Alan.