PDA

View Full Version : show me your storage container

sunsetcliff
8th March 2009, 17:09
Ok- do you buy the burlap sacks for the junk, or do you make them?

how do you store junk? in sacks or plastic tubes, round or square, or paper wrappers?

Now that I have a batch- it seems real messy and disorganized. I bought some of the junk, 90%/40% bit by bit. I also picked out some like new coins from a bag and substituted an average coins, (more worn).

The 90% halfs might be worth the cost of a tube, silver eagles should be stored with care. Not in a sack. So a tube is worth the cost.

Do they make a tube for 1 ounce bars?

I have limited space, and in an effort to organize the pieces, I use up more space then need be.

Please share with me your secrets. I am rather new at this.

goldminer
8th March 2009, 17:38
You might want to consider small non-pvc zip-loc type plastic bags.
Dimes in $5.00 face lots; Quarters & Half-dollars in $10.00 face lots.
1. The bags are a lot cheaper than tubes, and will store them more safely then paper tubes.
2. The bags will not damage silver coins
3. The bags store well - lay 'em flat on top of each other
4. It looks like there are more coins in a bag then in a tube with an equal #.
5. Easy & quick for a potential buyer to see, count, and repackage.
6. Easy to mark/lable bags with type and face-value amount of coins.

strawman
9th March 2009, 14:39
http://www.sentrysafe.com/images/products/Thumbnails/1100.jpg

I had two of these filled with various irreplaceable items and they survived a house fire that consumed everything else. I now have four of them filled with similar items and wouldn't have anything else. They're cheap and have proven to my satisfaction. They may be easy to break into but someone would have to get 'em out of my house first.

auptag
9th March 2009, 14:59
I have something similar and am probably going to get another, but I can see two potential problems. The first, you've already mentioned that it is fairly portable. The second is that it seems for most of the silver hounds around here that would not be enough storage. Fine for me for now. Thankfully mine has never been fire tested.

sunsetcliff
9th March 2009, 15:44
http://www.sentrysafe.com/images/products/Thumbnails/1100.jpg

I had two of these filled with various irreplaceable items and they survived a house fire that consumed everything else. I now have four of them filled with similar items and wouldn't have anything else. They're cheap and have proven to my satisfaction. They may be easy to break into but someone would have to get 'em out of my house first.

I have 2 of these as well. Fire is a big threat. I keep meds and papers in em. Controlled meds can be impossible to replace.

a bunch of 10 oz bars tho- are not going to melt fast.

safes of course can be carried out of the house. ones they can find.

This hobby I am sure has an art to it.

strawman
9th March 2009, 16:51
I have something similar and am probably going to get another, but I can see two potential problems. The first, you've already mentioned that it is fairly portable. The second is that it seems for most of the silver hounds around here that would not be enough storage. Fine for me for now. Thankfully mine has never been fire tested.

I look at the portability issue from a different direction. If I need to grab a few things and go, these are easy to get to and go. What would someone empty their floor safe into to move quickly? Or some other large volume safe? With these I can buy and fill them as the need arises. A burglar is going to be much more interested in overt electronics than poking around in several different closets for potential 'goodies'.

TheLoneRanger
9th March 2009, 17:24
I look at the portability issue from a different direction. If I need to grab a few things and go, these are easy to get to and go. What would someone empty their floor safe into to move quickly? Or some other large volume safe? With these I can buy and fill them as the need arises. A burglar is going to be much more interested in overt electronics than poking around in several different closets for potential 'goodies'.

I use .50 cal ammo cans

you can get locking kits http://www.imsplus.com/ammo-can-lock.html

and you can chain them together or to something that won't move with heavy chain if you wish.

Depending on the type of silver you can get 60 to 80 pounds of silver in a can.. for 90% junk coins you just use paper wrapers and stack them in the can... I do recomend the plastic tubes for the silver eagles http://www.apmex.com/Product/14999/Official_Silver_Eagle_SQUARE_Coin_Tubes___40_mm_Re cycled.aspx

auptag
9th March 2009, 17:38
I use .50 cal ammo cans

That ALONE should deter a percentage of would be thieves! :)

TheLoneRanger
9th March 2009, 17:40

If you only knew........

strawman
9th March 2009, 17:52

No doubt. :D

I use .50 cal ammo cans

Good idea. But they won't protect paper eg- life insurance policies, shot records, credit cards, etc. Please buy a fire safe for those things. I never thought I needed them but now I know that they were the best thing that I had purchased. I lost guns, rare books, a wife, believe me, some of those papers were vital to my son and I recovering afterwards.

sunsetcliff
9th March 2009, 18:15
I used to often volunteer at the local homeless shelter.

One can size up people pretty fast after a while of it.

Every now and then for whatever reason, we had a client that had no papers. None. They had to all be replaced. The problem is- you need other papers to get a replacement. But if you also dont have that paper, it is very hard.

Of course to get food stamps, etc., you have to have this stuff.

(at least in PA)

On the ammo box. That would not work in this town. This is red necks, pick up trucks and riffle area. The entire box would walk away.

An "NRA" sticker, says, "guns in the house". So everyone gone to work and school, the thief's know which houses have them to take.

Be mindful of everything. Child molesters look for toys and swing sets, a burglar will know a fake beware of the dog sign. No chain, no dog food, dish, no dog.

A house must looked cared for. I have a bunch of kids around that come close to being destructive. But decrepid old man me, simply walks outside, coughs, peers like I am inspecting this and that. A door slammed can be a good gesture too.

Last week I yelled like a raving lunatic from the upstairs window. They looked stunned. I did not go outside to elaborate. But it is known that a grouch is here.

I also tho- will wave, ask how school was. Depending on the mood- show them my garden methods. :-)

JesterJay
9th March 2009, 18:28
First it's:
You darned kids get out of my YARD!!!
Then 20 seconds later:
Would you like some Snickerdoodles???
That's the way WE are,
JesterJay and Weeble

Last week I yelled like a raving lunatic from the upstairs window. They looked stunned. I did not go outside to elaborate. But it is known that a grouch is here.

I also tho- will wave, ask how school was. Depending on the mood- show them my garden methods. :-)

TheLoneRanger
9th March 2009, 18:35
No doubt. :D

Good idea. But they won't protect paper eg- life insurance policies, shot records, credit cards, etc. Please buy a fire safe for those things. I never thought I needed them but now I know that they were the best thing that I had purchased. I lost guns, rare books, a wife, believe me, some of those papers were vital to my son and I recovering afterwards.

Thank you for your concern... I have 5 rather large safes already thank you.. I just use the ammo cans for silver.. well and a few other things .. but nothing paper I assure you.

auptag
9th March 2009, 18:51
I keep all my stuff safe and secure in a nice wooden safe (http://www.malleries.com/hand-painted-wooden-safe-1885-wwbird-i-19562-s-89.html?images=true#img) with a wooden lock (http://www.puzzleworld.org/puzzleworld/img.asp?i=wooden_lock_1.jpg&w=423&h=414&d=Wooden%20Lock)!

Perfectly secure...but 'tis a bitch when the termites get at it!

sunsetcliff
9th March 2009, 19:17
First it's:
You darned kids get out of my YARD!!!
Then 20 seconds later:
Would you like some Snickerdoodles???
That's the way WE are,
JesterJay and Weeble

lol.

With any luck I will have those people evicted. I am not sure how many kids live there and who they are. All I know is the place is a pig sty, and the owner needs to be a good neighbor- I am trying to get the rental permit revoked.

They are getting a steal deal on the rent, but dont take care of it.

I been snapping pics with my cell phone.

It always ends this way. The owner turned me into code at least once.

hmm. He got so vocal they stopped him from complaining at the city meetings, finally told him you have to live in the town to have any say so.

The kicker is, I would actually be doing the guy a favor. Locally they can and have taken property if even a tenant has a drug bust there. If you seen the condition of the yard- it looks like .... argh.

I am sorta concerned about all this. The reason why the tenant had to move from the last place was due to a fire.

key word, "fire"

TripleD
10th March 2009, 14:13
I must be ridiculously anal. For 90%, I bought plastic tubes for dimes, quarters, halves and silver dollars...and they go in boxes that hold $100 face each. The tubes and boxes come from:

http://www.meghrigsupplies.com

I also bought an empty Monster Box and I put my ASE's and Buffalos and other 1 oz. rounds in there.

Gold 1 oz. and 1/10 oz. and silver bars just lay around inside the High fire rating gun safe thats bolted to the floor.

Spent alot of time counting out that 90% and putting them into the tubes...maybe I should find a hobby....wait, I guess I got one.

valerb
11th March 2009, 02:50
It keeps the thieves away, now I only have to worry about the federal thieves!!!!!!

Psalm 12:6
12th March 2009, 13:54
Spent alot of time counting out that 90% and putting them into the tubes...maybe I should find a hobby....wait, I guess I got one.

Are you sure that it's not an ADDICTION!!!
LOL.