PDA

View Full Version : newbie type Q, what did 40% cost, $21 oz?

sunsetcliff
8th March 2009, 09:55
when silver was $20-$21?

What did 90% cost when silver was $20-21???

Thanks!

sunsetcliff
8th March 2009, 09:57
I am running into - less secure silver space. The appropriate space is limited.

Is 40% worth it? I thought that any silver of gold could be worth the money depending on the price.

Ancona
8th March 2009, 10:14
I like 40% and have bought a bag for my stack. I personally believe it's worth it . For 100$ face you get around 30 ounces of silver, but you get the added value of having soveriegn silver.

When I bought mine, silver was at 11.22 and I paid a buck over spot.

sunsetcliff
8th March 2009, 10:23
Now that I have a stack, I seem to like the 10 ounce. The small pieces, awkward to store.

so- 90% current at @ 10x
40% current @ 4.5x

I wonder if 40% can be LESS then spot?

Also- in many cases one can buy rounds cheaper per ounce.

suppose 90% is $115, (NUCLEO) but rounds 14.61x 7.15 ,= 104.46. cheaper. But even if the same price, the rounds are a better deal.

TheLoneRanger
8th March 2009, 14:06
when silver was $20-$21?

What did 90% cost when silver was $20-21???

Thanks!

When silver was at $20.00 this time last year it was selling for between 14 and 15 times face value... if sold at spot of $20.50 it would be 14.8 times face value.... but this time last year 90% junk coin was selling below spot.. and remained below spot until that dark night of August 16th when the people in the tunnel first saw the headlight on the approaching Train. Since then it has been as much as $4.00 over spot to the current fashionable +/- $2.00 over spot... The Historic high over spot percentage wise was back just before Y2K when 90% junk coin hit 1.5x spot... but spot was lower then .. so I figure the recent $4.00 over spot was the most expensive it's been since 1980.

40% was a little under 6 x face back when... ect. 40% is a rare bird insomuch as it isn't really meltable down to bullion as most refiners don't want it in my experience same with 35% silver nickles.

90% can go either way.. survival money or to the smelter to be turned into .999 bullion at a reasonable cost.

sunsetcliff
8th March 2009, 14:41
When silver was at $20.00 this time last year it was selling for between 14 and 15 times face value... if sold at spot of $20.50 it would be 14.8 times face value.... but this time last year 90% junk coin was selling below spot.. and remained below spot until that dark night of August 16th when the people in the tunnel first saw the headlight on the approaching Train. Since then it has been as much as $4.00 over spot to the current fashionable +/- $2.00 over spot... The Historic high over spot percentage wise was back just before Y2K when 90% junk coin hit 1.5x spot... but spot was lower then .. so I figure the recent $4.00 over spot was the most expensive it's been since 1980.

40% was a little under 6 x face back when... ect. 40% is a rare bird insomuch as it isn't really meltable down to bullion as most refiners don't want it in my experience same with 35% silver nickles.

90% can go either way.. survival money or to the smelter to be turned into .999 bullion at a reasonable cost.

That is helpful.

So I might want to underdo the 40%. % wise it might be too high. (of my stack)

TheLoneRanger
8th March 2009, 15:25
That is helpful.

So I might want to underdo the 40%. % wise it might be too high. (of my stack)

No not necesarily.. depends on why you have it... if everything works out with the economy.. silver will continue to trade thru the normal mechanisms.. but if the Shtf and you are stacking 90&40% for trade keep in mind the experiences of those currently in economic shtf in other countries ( I highly recomend searching for blogs from places in eastern europe and southamerica or talking with Russian refuges that live in the USA or old Cuban boat people for what it might be like). According to most reports from folks already in SHTF or with real life shtf experience the local gold and silver changers in the grey and black markets discount pure metals and assume some form of alloy.. 40/60% silver and 14/18 karat gold tend to get fair value.. to get fair value on 999bullion 22karat.90% stuff you need to go to an offical goverment sponsored exchanger.. can be done most times but not 24/7 like black market.. more paperwork more questions ect... So you want some 40% silver some 14 &18 karat gold plain rings and chain.. easy to hide and carry as well as the really purty and pure stuff.

goldminer
8th March 2009, 17:51
"What did 90% cost when silver was $20-21???"

The trade value of "average" circulated 90% coins can be quickly determined by multiplying .715 x the spot price of silver per ounce....regardless of what the price is.

The answer will give you the melt-value (value of the silver) of $1.00 face-value lot of dimes, quarters, halves, or any combination of these. This number is used as the the number to multiply x face value of a lot of coins.

i.e. Spot $20.00:
.715 x $20. = 14.3
This means that the silver in a $1.00 face value lot of coins (sometimes referred to as the "melt value") is currently worth 14.3 times face value, or $14.30.

So if you have a lot of "average" circulated 90% silver coins with a total face value of (say) $26.40, this lot of coins is (using the same spot price of $20.00) currently worth $26.40 x 14.3 = $377.52.

Nobody will ever actually see an "average" circulated coin because such a coin is only hypothetical. What's important is - don't pay too much for severely worn coins defined as coins that appear to have more wear then most of the circulated coins you see.