PDA

View Full Version : Another new guy.

csrobbins77
4th March 2009, 13:35
Hello all im brand new to stacking, sorta, which ill explain in my next post.
I got my first generic rounds yesterday. I got in at 12.80, with sales tax and premium, in this case was 2.50, i figured what I paid was 16.30 a piece. I only bought 10 rounds. Its a start.

I dont have a ton of money. Its also very hard at this point to get my wife to understand this is a good idea to at least have a good small percentage of our savings in PM least we lose it all. Im going to spend the next few hours reading the older posts. I have alot to learn.

Going to post pictures later, I figured this forum needs some more of that. The generics have liberty and a bust on one side, and an eagle and an artists marks of D T on the other side. Markings include one troy ounce .999 pure silver.

VX1
4th March 2009, 14:04
Welcome, glad you're here; with PMs, it's the more the merrier. My wife didn't understand when I bought my first 20 rounds last year, as part of the SHTF prep. She understands now. Put one or two in her hand, and say "honey, in case you've never felt it before, this is money". Explain to her the history of the Federal Reserve and that we don't uses "dollars" anymore (per the Coinage Act of 1792/317 grains of silver), and that we have been duped into using FRNs with no backing what-so-ever, other than "trust" in the government. The value of that trust is going to zero, and taking the currency with it. It shouldn't take much opening her eyes before she's afraid NOT to have some savings in PMs. At this point, I'm only ashamed to have lived half my life without owning PMs.

balou2
4th March 2009, 14:36
You're certainly welcome to do what you wish, but please take a little unsolicited advice.

- Don't discuss your holdings in too much detail.
- Pictures are too much detail.

Enjoy.

pmstacker
4th March 2009, 14:48
A good piece of advice imo is keep a detailed record of what you pay for each piece of silver. I have set up a spreadsheet that also figures out the total i've paid, what i pay on average per 10 oz bar/lot and what it breaks down to per oz on average. And also a running total of how many ounces. This is like keeping inventory of what you have but it will save you time if you start right away before getting too deep. I started when i had a couple hundred ounces from about a dozen different places, so it took me awhile to get it finished. Anyhow this will also give you an idea of what you should bid on ebay if you choose to do so, and how you can better your position and cost averaging over time. In the beginning its natural to go all out and buy up as much as you can, you just don't want to be holding an empty bag when shtf, but at the same time after you get over the initial buzz, you'll want to bring your cost average down as best you can. If you can bring it down a couple bucks over the span of a few months then you'll be in a much better position than if you had just went out and bought willy nilly as you felt like it. It will also give you a better understanding of where you sit and how to obtain your goal(s) if you have any. Also be sure to buy stuff you wouldn't mind selling or getting rid of. Theres no sense in stacking metals you don't want to sell later down the road.

pmstacker
4th March 2009, 14:53
Also if you are like me, i buy on ebay whenever a good deal presents itself and brings my cost average down. So i may have a half dozen 10oz bars in the mail at any given time. If you keep a list of what you buy and make entries as soon as you complete the payment you'll know what has come in and what has not, this way you can keep track in case a few bars come up missing ;) Also insurance is not a must, its up to the seller to get you the bar(s) you purchased, insurance should only be used in cases where the item can show up damaged. If the bar(s) don't show up you can file a chargeback and get your money back from paypal or your credit card company. The seller must have proof it was delivered to you, or else they are on the hook.

goldminer
4th March 2009, 15:35
As posted earlier...
Every financial advisor worth his or her salt recommends that investors diversify 5-15% of their portfolio into gold...and towards 15% during tough economic times. Many people believe during current social-political-economic times that a person is wise to diversify much more then 15% into physical gold & or silver.

1) Tell you wife that silver is a sister to gold and that holding physical is a million times more secure then investing in "paper" metals that are reportedly stored someplace (are they really? - one never knows).

2) Tell her too that gold and silver have 5K and 6K year history's as having REAL worth.

3) Gold and silver will never be worth zero.

4) Nobody in history has ever gone hungry who had some physical gold and/or silver.

5) Tell your wife also that holding physical gold and silver is insurance as a preservation and store of REAL wealth.

miller
18th April 2009, 20:24
Welcome, glad you're here; with PMs, it's the more the merrier. My wife didn't understand when I bought my first 20 rounds last year, as part of the SHTF prep. She understands now. Put one or two in her hand, and say "honey, in case you've never felt it before, this is money". Explain to her the history of the Federal Reserve and that we don't uses "dollars" anymore (per the Coinage Act of 1792/317 grains of silver), and that we have been duped into using FRNs with no backing what-so-ever, other than "trust" in the government. The value of that trust is going to zero, and taking the currency with it. It shouldn't take much opening her eyes before she's afraid NOT to have some savings in PMs. At this point, I'm only ashamed to have lived half my life without owning PMs.

This is almost exactly how I had to approach my better half. I put a 1 ounce Maple into her hand and then a $20 bill into her other. Then told her to close her eyes.

(What I did next was a bit overboard but it worked)

I had to take drastic measures because I was literally buying 5k in silver a month. She didn't agree with this but I had a drive to do so.

I lit the $20 on fire then told her to open her eyes. She let go pretty quick. Unknown to her is that the 20 was a fake. I work for Xerox and have access to some pretty kick ass machines. Really though she had no real time to inspect it, otherwise she surely could have told the difference. A real 20 could have bought me another maple lol.

Anyways, once her hand got warm, she let the bill go and it dropped on the floor of my garage. I let it burn up and that was that.

Then I passed her the lighter, told her to make the silver dissapear.

To my suprise she responded with "touche" She finally realized what that Silver was a lasting object. Regardless of all the time I spent explaining to her this fact... It took this to get her to agree to the idea.

In fact shes now been putting %10 of her income into Silver. I even drilled a nice little spot under my workshelf in the garage for an inground safe for her. She can wheel it out, put her stash in the safe and wheel it back over.

*Disclaimer... I dont recommend this approach if your wife is not calm, cool and collective lol*

Cheers,
Miller

CrazyFoool
18th April 2009, 20:40
I have a question.....

soooo....the idea is to buy silver at spot +1-3 dollars an ounce.

but when you sell, you basically have to sell at spot?

1-3 dollars percentagewise is pretty big when silver is only worth 11-14 an ounce.

how long has it taken for silver to get up to current prices...and how much longer will it take to go up enough to cover the +1-3 dollars?

please don't go into all the stuff about our government falling apart and cash/coins being completely worthless. that is a worst case scenario and if that happened, we all should be investing in guns and bullets...who here has a stockpile large enough to defeat bands of vigilantes? heh. dont answer that.

maplesilverbug
19th April 2009, 02:27
This is almost exactly how I had to approach my better half. I put a 1 ounce Maple into her hand and then a $20 bill into her other. Then told her to close her eyes.

(What I did next was a bit overboard but it worked)

I had to take drastic measures because I was literally buying 5k in silver a month. She didn't agree with this but I had a drive to do so.

I lit the $20 on fire then told her to open her eyes. She let go pretty quick. Unknown to her is that the 20 was a fake. I work for Xerox and have access to some pretty kick ass machines. Really though she had no real time to inspect it, otherwise she surely could have told the difference. A real 20 could have bought me another maple lol.

Anyways, once her hand got warm, she let the bill go and it dropped on the floor of my garage. I let it burn up and that was that.

Then I passed her the lighter, told her to make the silver dissapear.

To my suprise she responded with "touche" She finally realized what that Silver was a lasting object. Regardless of all the time I spent explaining to her this fact... It took this to get her to agree to the idea.

In fact shes now been putting %10 of her income into Silver. I even drilled a nice little spot under my workshelf in the garage for an inground safe for her. She can wheel it out, put her stash in the safe and wheel it back over.

*Disclaimer... I dont recommend this approach if your wife is not calm, cool and collective lol*

Cheers,
Miller

You were buying $5,000 in silver a month? You were spending $60,000 a year on silver, huh? All the while working for Xerox? As what, the CEO? Any money left over for food, insurance, mortgage, gas, clothes, utilities, etc, etc, etc? Considering you were swapping $20's for Maples, it leads me to believe you are a Canuck. Less than 10% of Canadians make more than $75,000 a year...I smell fish. Hope the 10+% drop in sales and/or 5+% job cuts at Xerox (with likely more to come) don't negatively effect your "stacking". Since you are such a high-roller at the ol' X, why don't you just asked to be paid in Maples, skip the middle-man and a bunch of hassle. Then you could just tell your wife, "There's nothing I can do about it, honey! This is how they pay me now!" Then try and pay your taxes with those same silver rounds. Ah, what am I saying! You can always zip off a stack or two of colorful $20's to send the govie -- it's just as good their "worthless" money, right?

Oh, BTW, silver may be a "lasting object", but that in no way, shape, or form guarantees their market price or value. Even see a tire dump? Those old Goodyears are pretty f*cking lasting, too, but I don't seem to recall any kind of "BaldTireSeek" website, or fanatical claims that big corporations are manipulating the steel-belted radial market. If 'lasting' is your concern, why not go for the gusto and start buying up bags of selenium, that sh*t will outlast EVERYTHING -- especially your job at Xerox.

Apologies (?) for the negative attitude, but I really am sick of fraudulent behaviour and lies, from all walks of life. Take note, 'Another New Guy'.

CrazyFoool
19th April 2009, 09:51
You were buying $5,000 in silver a month? You were spending $60,000 a year on silver, huh? All the while working for Xerox? As what, the CEO? Any money left over for food, insurance, mortgage, gas, clothes, utilities, etc, etc, etc? Considering you were swapping $20's for Maples, it leads me to believe you are a Canuck. Less than 10% of Canadians make more than $75,000 a year...I smell fish. Hope the 10+% drop in sales and/or 5+% job cuts at Xerox (with likely more to come) don't negatively effect your "stacking". Since you are such a high-roller at the ol' X, why don't you just asked to be paid in Maples, skip the middle-man and a bunch of hassle. Then you could just tell your wife, "There's nothing I can do about it, honey! This is how they pay me now!" Then try and pay your taxes with those same silver rounds. Ah, what am I saying! You can always zip off a stack or two of colorful $20's to send the govie -- it's just as good their "worthless" money, right?

Oh, BTW, silver may be a "lasting object", but that in no way, shape, or form guarantees their market price or value. Even see a tire dump? Those old Goodyears are pretty f*cking lasting, too, but I don't seem to recall any kind of "BaldTireSeek" website, or fanatical claims that big corporations are manipulating the steel-belted radial market. If 'lasting' is your concern, why not go for the gusto and start buying up bags of selenium, that sh*t will outlast EVERYTHING -- especially your job at Xerox.

Apologies (?) for the negative attitude, but I really am sick of fraudulent behaviour and lies, from all walks of life. Take note, 'Another New Guy'.

.....he works for xerox yet copies money on a kickass machine....which is illegal as ****.

clr8ter
19th April 2009, 20:25
Maplesilverbug, what REALLY makes you think killers a fraud? Seems kind of odd you would attack him that viciously like that........just cause he's canadian doesn't mean he can't be rich......just wondering......

theo68
19th April 2009, 21:33

LOL. . . I think you are being a little too literal there bud. The fact is that silver's value is long lasting while the value of the FRN is transient. I believe Miller was only trying to demonstrate that to his wife in a memorable way. The fact is that Miller's wife is buying in (literally) to the value of silver. Why argue with success?

theo68
19th April 2009, 22:07
Hello all im brand new to stacking, sorta, which ill explain in my next post.
I got my first generic rounds yesterday. I got in at 12.80, with sales tax and premium, in this case was 2.50, i figured what I paid was 16.30 a piece. I only bought 10 rounds. Its a start.

I dont have a ton of money. Its also very hard at this point to get my wife to understand this is a good idea to at least have a good small percentage of our savings in PM least we lose it all. Im going to spend the next few hours reading the older posts. I have alot to learn.

Going to post pictures later, I figured this forum needs some more of that. The generics have liberty and a bust on one side, and an eagle and an artists marks of D T on the other side. Markings include one troy ounce .999 pure silver.

Good to have you. A 20% premium on generic rounds is a little pricey, but not bad. Try to identify as many sources (E bay, online dealers, local dealers) as you can and shop for the best prices. Try your local flea market. I'm seeing more and more silver sold at mine. Finally, try your local antique dealers. Sometimes they pick up old coins at estate sales and willing to sell them for reasonable prices.

Generics are fine, but try to diversify your holdings. American Silver Eagles and Canadian Maple Leafs are pricey, but they are immediately recognizable and accepted by every dealer on earth. You also might want to pick up some 90% silver; its not always in good condition, but its also widely recognized. 5 and 10 ounce bars from well known dealers (Sunshine, Silvertowne) are nice to have as well.

fansubs_ca
20th April 2009, 00:32
You were buying $5,000 in silver a month? You were spending $60,000 a year on silver, huh? All the while working for Xerox? As what, the CEO?

Maybe that was for a limited period of a certain number of months with
pre-existing savings. I never assumed he meant he'ld be buying that much
on an ongoing basis forever. ;) I spread the conversion of my available float
to silver over about 2 1/2 years, obviously unless I get a second job the rate
from here on in will be slower. So I can see him doing the same thing, just
on a bigger scale.

.....he works for xerox yet copies money on a kickass machine....which is illegal as ****.

I'm assuming he doesn't make a habit of it, just ran off one for the
demonstration which was destroyed in the process. After all if he were
running around passing off fake $20 bills I don't think he'ld brag about it
on here. :D I remember once seeing a guy make a black and white one
sided photocopy of a $100 bill that he cut and colored in with coloring
pencils so it looked real from a distance. (Someone would have to be
pretty dumb to be fooled once they had it in their hand though so the
passing of it wasn't a threat. ;) ) He then left it on a floor of a restraunt
and watched people go to pick it up, then look at the back of it where he
wrote a note to them. It was a somewhat amusing prank.

I'm just making guesses, maybe Miller could clarify the actual details.