PDA

View Full Version : Bars,rounds,junk Coins Or All Of Them?

gus2003
1st March 2009, 09:49
hi,

i'm looking for opinions on what is the best silver investment. i have diversified my investment with bars,rounds and coins. but i do hear some saying that .999 silver is the best way to go in the worst case of economic collapse(god forbid). wondering if i should replace one for another or stay diversified?

looking forward to your comments! thanks

PSUDave
1st March 2009, 10:21
IMO, stay diversified, have some of all types.

Phaeton
1st March 2009, 11:44
Those who say that a particular type is best in a SHTF scenario could be fooling themselves as no one knows what would be key in that kind of situation. It could be .999, it could be 90%.... hell it could be silver shot!

Stay as diversified as you can is my suggestion.

auptag
1st March 2009, 15:24
But for those who *don't* think that the world is coming to an end, and who are just *investing* in PMs for the payday way down the line, to those people it shouldn't matter right...as 1 oz of generic = 1 oz of premium = 1 oz shot = 1 oz of grandpas fillings = ............

Of course, maybe there would be a little discounting for assay costs and/or refinery costs on alloys...but for the *MOST* part, for investment purposes, SIS, right?

I've looked 'round and 'round this board and the only reason I seem to have found for diversification is the aforementioned SHTF scenario. Are there other reasons I've missed?

sunsetcliff
1st March 2009, 16:09
variety. I agree. That is best.

hiyosilver
1st March 2009, 20:30
hmmm, I don't have any 5 ouncers yet......;)

goldminer
1st March 2009, 21:30
Agree wholeheartedly with Phaeton....& congrats for getting your head out of the sand.

These are unchartered times and NOBODY has a crystal ball so diversity is IMO the smart way to go, and each form has its pros & cons.

.999 fine is great, but so are government bullion coins and government currency coins:
a mix of 1 oz. rounds and 1, 5, & 10, oz. bars.
Eagles & Maple Leafs (over Phils in the U.S. and Canada IMO)
and 90% if in the U.S., 80% if in Canada, and maybe a mix of 80 & 90% if you live near the U.S. Canadian border.

fullsafe
2nd March 2009, 14:00
But for those who *don't* think that the world is coming to an end, and who are just *investing* in PMs for the payday way down the line, to those people it shouldn't matter right...as 1 oz of generic = 1 oz of premium = 1 oz shot = 1 oz of grandpas fillings = ............

Of course, maybe there would be a little discounting for assay costs and/or refinery costs on alloys...but for the *MOST* part, for investment purposes, SIS, right?

I've looked 'round and 'round this board and the only reason I seem to have found for diversification is the aforementioned SHTF scenario. Are there other reasons I've missed?

Yes it does matter--- for this type of individual the best investment is high quality numismatic coins where you pay extreme premiums on subjectivity and can recoup this down the road from people with a similar outlook on life.