PDA

View Full Version : How much Silver do you have?

Husker
5th March 2008, 23:20
Thinking about getting some silver. What does the average person on these forums have ounce wise?

ADUB
6th March 2008, 15:01
I have about 4000 ounces.

Irons
6th March 2008, 16:15
16 pounds, or 21.3 troy

Silver Shoes
6th March 2008, 16:39
Not nearly enough. ;)

Several hundred ounces in everything from sterling silverware to coins to bullion bars to rounds.

JesterJay
6th March 2008, 19:10
But what I do have is REAL. No paper certificates. All physical metal.
Lots of Silver American Eagles. They are my favorite.
A few dozen older pour odd ball bars. I like the look of that type of ingot/brick bars. Variety in the few-10 ounce sizes: JM, GA, RCM, Eng, Homestake, anything that is recognizable as probably being legitimate without having to assay the hell out of it.
Lots of Prospectors.
A bit of silver dollars, Morgans and Peace.
Some 90% too.
I sold all the big bars, 100 ozies and over.
But mostly Eagles.
God Bless America,
Jay

loser72555
6th March 2008, 19:12
I have about a thousand oz., maybe a little more

silver1000
6th March 2008, 20:29
Early on I bought as much coin (Silver Eagles) as I could carry and no more than that is needed I think. The rest of the money I've put into silver related assets are in silver mining stocks because they care a higher beta and increase even more than the silver price as long a you pick the right ones, and even that bad ones do pretty good for the most part!

chux03
6th March 2008, 21:53
But what I do have is REAL. No paper certificates. All physical metal.
Lots of Silver American Eagles. They are my favorite. (not mine)
A few dozen older pour odd ball bars. I like the look of that type of ingot/brick bars. Variety in the few-10 ounce sizes: JM, GA, RCM, Eng, Homestake, anything that is recognizable as probably being legitimate without having to assay the hell out of it.
Lots of Prospectors.
A bit of silver dollars, Morgans and Peace.
Some 90% too.
I sold all the big bars, 100 ozies and over.
But mostly Eagles. (odd shaped/sized bars/ingots)
God Bless America,
Jay

Damm....you stole my thunder, which is alright as now I don't have to type that answer. That sure sounds like my stash of silver!! Great minds DO think alike...

waynetheking
6th March 2008, 21:56
i started buying 1oz bars 20 years ago with "play money" untill i had a whole drawer full of them. then i went to 10 oz bars. then eagles in the green tubes. then 100 oz bars. 1900 oz later here i am with you guys. bought'em all with spare bucks to spend. now i'm addicted. or was that 20 years ago??

Husker
6th March 2008, 22:04
Are Silver Rounds a good investment? They are cheaper then Eagles.

chux03
6th March 2008, 22:14
Are Silver Rounds a good investment? They are cheaper then Eagles.

You bet!! .999 FINE is .999 FINE whether it's on an Eagle or a Prospector. The only thing different is what you'll pay for each.

waynetheking
6th March 2008, 22:17
or you can buys bars as well. i bought 2 25oz bars that are beat up and ugly as hell. But there .999 fine and cost me 12 cents over spot!!

Irons
7th March 2008, 06:44
You bet!! .999 FINE is .999 FINE whether it's on an Eagle or a Prospector. The only thing different is what you'll pay for each.

I totally agree, and I have a fondness for amark and sunshine rounds:)

JesterJay
7th March 2008, 18:32
Duuuuh,
Yup, uh huh. I likes Silber.
Me think its is Purty and shinery.
Wull Golly Dang Howdy:?,
JesterJay
from the Plains of Dakota with an "S" in front of it.

Damm....you stole my thunder, which is alright as now I don't have to type that answer. That sure sounds like my stash of silver!! Great minds DO think alike...

JesterJay
7th March 2008, 18:41
Chux, chux, bow bux,

I concur with the assessment that .999 is FINE! And it is highly intelligent to BUY any fine silver NOW! or sooner.

However, I agree with Ted and Izzy that the Silver Eagle is the MOST recognized and TRUSTED (the US mint won't let ANYONE counterfiet their girls) Silver coin on the planet and it will command a large premium in the future when it may be worth it to criminals to try to fake Ag coins and bars.

Sky high silver prices WILL happen sooner or later BUT the US economy will NOT have to tank for it to commence.

Silver is WEALTH- get it while you can!
JesterJay

Irons
7th March 2008, 20:33
Chux, chux, bow bux,

I concur with the assessment that .999 is FINE! And it is highly intelligent to BUY any fine silver NOW! or sooner.

However, I agree with Ted and Izzy that the Silver Eagle is the MOST recognized and TRUSTED (the US mint won't let ANYONE conterfiet their girls) Silver coin on the planet and it will command a large premium in the future when it may be worth it to criminals to try to fake Ag coins and bars.

Sky high silver prices WILL happen sooner or later BUT the US economy will NOT have to tank for it to commence.

Silver is WEALTH- get it while you can!
JesterJay

They are being counterfieted right now and nobody is stopping them.My local coin guy had a guy come in march 6 with 2 dozen fake eagles trying to sell them.He called the police, the guy took off on foot.
the chinese are dumping them on the market and nobody cares.
Post #5 on this thread http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?t=474

JesterJay
7th March 2008, 23:21
I have seen many Silver NOT-so-GOOD Fake Eagles. I would hardly consider them counterfit. Right now it is not worth the $1.50-2.00 premium. But when the price is $100 and the premium is $20, then we may see some good fakes.
And that is when Uncle Mint Man will start stomping on the Infidels.
JesterJay and the 4 Minors

They are being counterfieted right now and nobody is stopping them.My local coin guy had a guy come in march 6 with 2 dozen fake eagles trying to sell them.He called the police, the guy took off on foot.
the chinese are dumping them on the market and nobody cares.
Post #5 on this thread http://forums.silverseek.com/showthread.php?t=474

Husker
8th March 2008, 09:18
I bought a stack of 10 rounds awhile back, they came in a little plastic container that was taped up. Inside most are shiny and look like, well, silver. 3 of them are dingy-blackish and don't look much like silver. Is that OK? Should I be concerned about that? Is it just tarnished or is it fake?

paker
9th March 2008, 21:38
I have 6 (SIX) Silver eagles now, 2 1921 Morgan silver dollars, 5 Ben Franklin half dollars, and one 1965 Churchill silver dollar, which I have no idea where it came from.

JesterJay
9th March 2008, 23:44
You have a bit over 9 troy there. When Ag hits $100/oz. in a year or so you will be smiling. Heck you are probably already smiling since you KNOW to buy silver.
Regards,
JesterJay
Additional thought,
It is time to make an official inventory of my STASH!!!
I started with a small amount and did not think to catalog it. Now that I have a few thousand ounces instead of just a few thousand dollars worth it is definitely time to keep track of it better. If only I had the money back then at those prices. Oh well, today is still a rip roarin' bargain compared to next year!

I have 6 (SIX) Silver eagles now, 2 1921 Morgan silver dollars, 5 Ben Franklin half dollars, and one 1965 Churchill silver dollar, which I have no idea where it came from.

Husker
10th March 2008, 21:17
I bought a stack of 10 rounds awhile back, they came in a little plastic container that was taped up. Inside most are shiny and look like, well, silver. 3 of them are dingy-blackish and don't look much like silver. Is that OK? Should I be concerned about that? Is it just tarnished or is it fake?

Any help with the above please?

TTAZZMAN
13th March 2008, 22:39
1/2 ton troy physical + equal in paper

gypsybiker45
14th March 2008, 05:14
half a ton? what you going to make a silver Buick?,,just joking !

Barbaric Relic
14th March 2008, 16:04
Any help with the above please?

Normally tarnish

I have a 100 oz that is like that tarnished, its still silver.

SilverFreak
14th March 2008, 16:23
Was bitten by the bug a little over a year ago. I'm 24 and want to make sure I can retire young so I am shelling out as much as I can afford right now to buy silver. I have about 400 oz and am picking up another 40 tomorrow. I hope to have about 600 before summer hits.

waynetheking
14th March 2008, 18:12
Thats how alot of us start out. a little at a time. i to started at about age 24. 1 oz at a time. im 48 now and have aprox 2000 oz. all bought with spare money. you might want to start a 401k plan and use the silver investment to take a kickass vacation some day. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify. Thats my advice to you. But by all means buy as much silver as you can. the long term prospects look GREAT for this metal!!

TTAZZMAN
14th March 2008, 18:44
LOL...which sounds like more...half a ton...1000lbs...13000oz?...silver buick with gold rims

in one of his articles Jason Hommel claims to have 6 tons of physical

storage is definitely an issue

i was lucky i started buying in 03 when it was much cheaper and will continue to buy on consolidation phases

i doubt i will sell it ...it will be a tax free inheritance for my kids more than likely...physical metals are darned hard for the government to find and figure out a way to tax

JesterJay
14th March 2008, 21:04
Anyone want to order a "TAZZMAN is my hero" polo shirt that I am having printed up?
They will be Silver with GOLD lettering and Platinum buttons
JesterJay

LOL...which sounds like more...half a ton...1000lbs...13000oz?...silver buick with gold rims

in one of his articles Jason Hommel claims to have 6 tons of physical

storage is definitely an issue

i was lucky i started buying in 03 when it was much cheaper and will continue to buy on consolidation phases

i doubt i will sell it ...it will be a tax free inheritance for my kids more than likely...physical metals are darned hard for the government to find and figure out a way to tax

chux03
15th March 2008, 00:15

YIKES!!! Sounds like you're contemplating retirement should the white metal make a rocket move upwards. You own an armored car service too?? And a big secure vault of some kind buried deeeeeep in the bedrock away from prying eyes??
And I thought I had worries about my small stash of a few hundred ounces...
I was in a local coin shop here a couple of weeks ago and was talking to the owner about silver. He asked me what was the biggest chunk of silver that I had ever seen in person. I told him that right off hand it would probably be a stash I saw at a friends place that consisted of a bar that "his uncle had gotten either through the actual mining process or he borrowed it somewhere" as family legend/lore states. Anyway, it wasn't pure .999 Fine either as I don't think it had ever been assayed. But you could tell it was silver, it was big & heavy at around 35 pounds and (at least after it was assayed) it would be valuable.
Anyway, he then asked me if I had ever seen a real 1000 ounce bar/ingot to which I said no, I hadn't. He goes into the safe and manages to pull out a BIG, BEAUTIFUL Sunshine 1000 ounce (that actually weighed 1035 ounces and was so stamped) silver bar. It weighed about 70 pounds and even had the pick and shovel logo Sunshine is famous for. At that time the bar was worth about $16,000 as silver was about $16 per oz. Today it's value is over $20,000. Hard to believe that at one time in the not too distant past the price on that bar might have been as low as UNDER $4000. That was a nice chunk of silver!!!!
You must have a few of them if you have a half a ton. I hope you also have a hand truck for moving that heavy stuff around so you can save your back....I'd hate to be slugging it out with 70 lb silver bars all day long, especially if they weren't mine!!!! If they were mine...what?? My back hurt?? Are you KIDDING???

Barbaric Relic
15th March 2008, 04:11
My bullion dealer has 15kg bars for sale.

paker
15th March 2008, 10:02
101 ounces up as of 10:32 am today! :cool:

TTAZZMAN
15th March 2008, 23:43
Chux. I have never seen a 1000oz comex tradeable bar in person....all of mine is 100oz bars down to 90% dimes...i have been accumulating and hoarding for quite a while

SilverFreak
16th March 2008, 18:15
Thats how alot of us start out. a little at a time. i to started at about age 24. 1 oz at a time. im 48 now and have aprox 2000 oz. all bought with spare money. you might want to start a 401k plan and use the silver investment to take a kickass vacation some day. Do not put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify. Thats my advice to you. But by all means buy as much silver as you can. the long term prospects look GREAT for this metal!!

Thanks for the advice Wayne.

I have invested in other areas as well. I actually started at 17 and have just started into silver. I still plan to invest in stocks and mutal funds. But with the market the way it is I am leaning a little harder on the silver for the time.

I wish I had started buying sooner while it was cheaper. I could have so much more.

SilverFreak
16th March 2008, 18:18

WOW, that is some serious silver. I could only dream to have that much.

TTAZZMAN
16th March 2008, 20:52
Like wayne said just use spare funds over time and watch the long term outlook you will suprized how quickly it will accumulate