PDA

View Full Version : Inside a Chinese Coin Counterfeiting Ring

genesis
22nd February 2009, 20:00
Fantastic...the Chinese are going to screw a lot of people with these!!!!!!

Have you ever wondered what an illegal coin minting operation looks like? Are you curious about how the Chinese are making all of those fake coins we have been seeing recently? If so, the Chinese Coin Counterfeiting photo gallery will interest you. There are photos of the coin presses they use, the fake coin dies they make, and the actual coins they strike. I have added some commentary where I was able to get information about the processes, but as you can probably imagine, my sources aren't exactly being forthcoming about this information.......more......
http://coins.about.com/b/2008/04/02/inside-a-chinese-coin-counterfeiting-ring.htm

mick silver
22nd February 2009, 20:09
lots of fake stuff coming out of china , i see a lot of stuff on ebay from there also ,

Stattman
22nd February 2009, 20:20
First they contaminate us with lead, now with counterfeits. Damn squinty eyed bastards, trying to **** us up in every way possible.

Katwoman
22nd February 2009, 20:24
I think most of these are sold as copper core silver plated copy coins but I also imagine that in a panic novices might not pay close enough attention to what they are buying and so could get ripped off. Caveat emptor!

Stattman
22nd February 2009, 20:36
I think most of these are sold as copper core silver plated copy coins but I also imagine that in a panic novices might not pay close enough attention to what they are buying and so could get ripped off. Caveat emptor!

Well then it would force them to do more research and do sound tests and stuff... I always do sound tests, especially when buying 90% and even SAE's. I know each sound by heart and actually found 2 counterfeits at my local coin shop already on 90% silver quarters from 1962.

genesis
22nd February 2009, 21:04
please explain the sound test??? In particular for 1oz. coins/bullion

sunsetcliff
22nd February 2009, 21:24
hence Chinese is not name brand. Silver is less easy to fake then gold or platinum.

I wont buy Chinese coins even from a dealer.

Dmax
22nd February 2009, 22:27
please explain the sound test??? In particular for 1oz. coins/bullion

simply tap together 2 one oz rounds or Morgans, you know anything pre1965 and compare sounds from one another, knowing of course that they ARE silver. Then tap together non silver coins, post 1970 whatevers and just listen. I usually just flip it in the air (been doing for years) and can tell from the "ping in the air". If you have an old large one cent piece do the same and listen to that particular sound.

What gets me though is how good my silver plated forks sound when I tap them like tuning forks . . . really nice, but their plated???

McGruff
23rd February 2009, 00:56
That's great. So the coins with civil war dates that I picked up on Ebay a while back may very well be Chinese crap. How would someone go about verifying non silver coins as authentic?

genesis
23rd February 2009, 06:55
simply tap together 2 one oz rounds or Morgans, you know anything pre1965 and compare sounds from one another, knowing of course that they ARE silver. Then tap together non silver coins, post 1970 whatevers and just listen. I usually just flip it in the air (been doing for years) and can tell from the "ping in the air". If you have an old large one cent piece do the same and listen to that particular sound.

What gets me though is how good my silver plated forks sound when I tap them like tuning forks . . . really nice, but their plated???

thanks...I will give that a try!

silverheartbone
23rd February 2009, 10:25
Well then it would force them to do more research and do sound tests and stuff... I always do sound tests, especially when buying 90% and even SAE's. I know each sound by heart and actually found 2 counterfeits at my local coin shop already on 90% silver quarters from 1962.

Wow. Now that that is something that I would not have thought of,
counterfeiting a quarter dollar.

I wonder how many are out there?

DuaneLuk
23rd February 2009, 14:16
It will only get worse as the price of silver rises. I can smell if it is silver or not. However if it is plated then this would be a problem. Time for a refined metal detector I guess.