PDA

View Full Version : How to Make a Profit

Willie Hunter
23rd July 2011, 17:38
How does one make a profit in anything without selling? It was said on this forum recently that only the poor sell. Really??????

maplesilverbug
23rd July 2011, 17:41
I've been buying and selling silver since 01/2009.
I've taken profit.
I'm not poor.

Guess certain people don't understand how things work.

Willie Hunter
23rd July 2011, 17:50
Hey, JoJo, how about we stay on topic with this one. This is my thread!!

maplesilverbug
23rd July 2011, 17:52
I thought you said you were a buy and hold guy - a stacker. Didn't you say you don't worry about the daily moves because you don't sell. Are you a trader, buying and selling now? How convenient that your trading style always fits the matter at hand.

Aren't you in fact just a big old liar?

Always been a trader since I started buying and selling in 01/09.
I take my profit in the form of more silver -- increasing my stack.
Yes, I am indeed a trader and a stacker both at the same time! GASP!

It is very wise that one's trading style always fit the matter at hand -- like bamboo bending in the wind.
If you are not adaptable and flexible then you risk trying to apply something as useless as 'chicken fukc theory' to all markets. And failing. Always.

What is Truth?
23rd July 2011, 18:06
I too it as being sarcastic Willie. Sure, you are correct about making a profit. But in all too many cases people are selling thinking they are going to buy back in at a back the truck up price while the market is just starting to move up. They may make a profit in silver, but it may be last time they ever will.

What is Truth?
23rd July 2011, 18:25
I guess you could lease out your physical. That will allow you to earn something without actually selling. Maybe Shelley can chime in and explain how leasing works.

I can see someone leasing out their 100 eagles never to see them again. It might work for the big boys but Joe bag of doughnuts better beware.

What is Truth?
23rd July 2011, 18:34
Can't you buy a share of the physical from a bullion vault and then allow the bullion vault to take care of the nitty gritty of the leasing?

Frankly, I am unfamiliar with this process and could be totally wrong.
Who knows? I doubt it would be practical on a small scale. Besides, the bullion bank probably already leased it out since they likely have it covered in the small print.

maestro
23rd July 2011, 21:03
one way is swaping for gold, when the ratio is right, when it was close to 33 to 1 i swapped 110 oz for 3 oz of gold maybe i should have swapped back at around 34$ mark but thought that it may dip down a few dollars more and it never really did but if this debt ceiling gets raise i can see it comeing down quite a bit and may swap back out then.

SilverBlood
23rd July 2011, 23:07
@Willie It's however you look at it. If you consider trading physical silver for paper "money", I personally see that as taking a loss, no matter the paper price silver is at the time of sale.
Others see cash as having more value than physical silver..
Opinions vary..

maestro
23rd July 2011, 23:55
@Willie It's however you look at it. If you consider trading physical silver for paper "money", I personally see that as taking a loss, no matter the paper price silver is at the time of sale.
Others see cash as having more value than physical silver..
Opinions vary..

I think people see paper money as having more value than silver because currently it does. stores, gas stations, electric companys ect ect ect do not except silver as payment. and probably never will. oh and you can buy more silver with paper money and if you sell your physical for paper money and silver price drops you can buy more silver than you originally had. yes silver is nice and pretty but it will not multiply on its own. if you had a thousand oz and sold it at the 49 dollar mark for paper money and then bought back at 33.50 last month you'de have 1460 oz increasing your stack by roughly 46% something silver cannot do sitting in a safe.

SilverBlood
24th July 2011, 00:07
The idea is correct, but a person must accept responsibility for taking these risks.

I would be willing to sell some ozs to buy a crystal ball.. if I ever come across one that actually works lol

Until then, I will hold..

bobmhey
24th July 2011, 10:28
I don't get into the whole doom thing.
That being said it could go up and could go down.
In fact it does both...which I like. I always have some even just a few.
The trick is to sell most of your stuff when it is high but keeping some in case it goes higher still.
Buying into this market I recommend using 20% of the capital you can raise later if there is a down market.
I mentioned in other threads if you bought right before easter for the first time at 50 bucks an ounce, you must surely be losing is the conventional thought.
That thought frame is to linear.
It also dipped to 32 and climbed up to 40.
If you bought a significantly higher dollar amount at the low or close ,your average cost per coin would be around spot now if not a little lower.... Sell high. leverage. Always keep something even if it is one or two.