PDA

View Full Version : The 10 Best Post-Apocalyptic Survival Vehicles

chux03
1st January 2009, 14:05
"We asked you what you think the best post-apocalyptic vehicle would be, assuming you could fuel it up and were unable to stay in one place due to the lack of other resources (and likely abundance of radioactive zombies looking for a tasty brain to munch upon). The response we received from commenters was phenomenal. We've culled the comments down to our ten top responses. Some we expected and some we didn't, and we even had a quasi-fictional vehicle thrown in for some fun. After you've had a moment to take a gander at the zombie-fighting machines-o-war below, drop all the way down to the bottom and help us cull the wheat from the proverbial radioactive chaff and determine the ultimate ride for living through the bleak world that awaits us. The very fate of humanity may rest upon your decision."

Read all about it here:

http://jalopnik.com/360213/the-ten-best-post+apocalyptic-survival-vehicles

skijake
1st January 2009, 14:27
It can't compete with those live aboard units but find yourself a well maintained 80's era Mercedes Diesel like a 240d or 300d and you have a solid transporter that is tough as a truck and can be kept running with minimal mechanical skills. Pay from 200-400 ounces of silver and drive it a couple times a month. If you don't need it you can sell, if you do it will be the last thing running. Think German Panzer!:cool:

mick silver
1st January 2009, 14:30
i have 2 mules i would think that would be the best , for 200 to 400 ounces of silver i would own a hell of alot more land , cars would be cheap , my mules well haul fire wood , go to the store , plow fields , gas would be hard to come by. if tshtf people well have to think out of the box to make it . most on this forum well not make it

Mylläri
2nd January 2009, 09:49
Most diesel vehicles would work out well so long as they able to run fine on 100% biodiesel fuel. Considering that you can make my own fuel for quite a bit less than even the current $2/gal petro diesel (in my area), it would rate high on the survivability scale.

Gassers aren't a good choice unless you can make your own alcohol fuel and actually run it in your vehicle. Out of the available gassers I'd take a Subaru Outback or a 4x4 Toyota or Nissan as those are all tough, capable vehicles.

Sue-Z-Q
2nd January 2009, 11:24
qwertyqwerty

Mylläri
3rd March 2009, 15:55
I was just thinking after reading a book I recently finished that a flex-fuel vehicle may be as good if not better than a diesel vehicle. Here is the book:

www.amazon.com/Alcohol-Can-Be-Gas-Revolution/dp/0979043778

You may not know that most newer vehicles can operate on a 50/50 gas-alcohol blend, of course flex fuel vehicles can use E-85 fuel. Flex fuel vehicles can also operate on 100% alcohol fuel, some with little or no modification. After reading this book I've found that its not that much more difficult to produce alcohol fuel on your own, as compared to producing biodiesel fuel yourself. I may have to consider an E-85 capable Toyota Tundra for my next vehicle purchase :D

Ancona
3rd March 2009, 19:09
WWII Willys Jeep, Diesel of course. No electronic ignition, big fuel tank, goes anywhere, and in the case of an EMP it will push start.....just put it in reverse and pop the clutch. They don't even need a battery.

Canadiansilverbug
4th March 2009, 13:33
i have 2 mules i would think that would be the best , for 200 to 400 ounces of silver i would own a hell of alot more land , cars would be cheap , my mules well haul fire wood , go to the store , plow fields , gas would be hard to come by. if tshtf people well have to think out of the box to make it . most on this forum well not make it

I agree on the mules, if the shtf the fuel supply will dry up in days, just keep your head down until people are back on foot and then horses, mules , burros etc will be bloody luxury. Mules are definately the best choice, smarter, healtier and stronger by size than a horse. If I had the property I would think breeding Mules would be one of the premier businesses to get into.

hiyosilver
4th March 2009, 14:03
I agree on the mules, if the shtf the fuel supply will dry up in days, just keep your head down until people are back on foot and then horses, mules , burros etc will be bloody luxury. Mules are definately the best choice, smarter, healtier and stronger by size than a horse. If I had the property I would think breeding Mules would be one of the premier businesses to get into.

I too agree, but some here may not be aware that you need horses and donkeys to do that...