PDA

View Full Version : Hidden Inflation - They Don't Make Embalming Fluid Like They Used To!

Sue-Z-Q
27th December 2008, 12:05
qwertyqwerty

ricm123
27th December 2008, 15:30
Thanks, sunsetcliff for your funny remark on another thread where you pointed out that embalming fluid probably ain't what it used to be.

Well, few things ARE.

About a year and a half ago The Mogambo Guru was doing his usual hilarious yammering about inflation, and I sat down and wrote him that it was worse than he realized, because within that month I had discovered subtle ways that stuff stayed the same in price but quality eroded as we were getting 'less-for-the-same-price' before it soon became less-for-more in same sized packaging, now more for a lot weirder diabolically redesigned container.

I first noticed it with dish soap. You can't buy dish soap nowadays that isn't watered down. It doesn't bubble as well. I stumbled across a way to use same amount of watered down soap but have it do dishes and that was to get a plastic tub dishliner thing to go into my stainless sink. It seems that bubbles last longer within the plastic container than swirling around against the stainless steel. Gotta be some kind of chemical thing. I've repeated my experiment enough to know I'm onto something.

Frontline and Advantage flea meds for dogs don't work worth 'squat any more. I am sure they are thinned out, too, same volume but less product.

Now the list goes on and on. Latest insult was to go for a 3 lb can of coffee and find it down to around two pounds for the former 3 lb price.

It costs money to retool machines to make new containers which no longer have flat bottoms, but they cup upward to take up space where product once was and no is replaced by an air-cone on the bottom.

WHO do they think they're fooling? Most of us having fallen off a turnip truck in the last 24 hours, and this optical illusion packaging is an insult to our intelligent. If you've gotta charge more - at least deliver - don't try to shyster society with clever packaging.

Toilet paper rolls are shorter across, and a lot of stuff. If it is like that NOW then how bad when TSHTF.

As I've told my kids: If you've done without in the past (i.e. toilet, running water, etc.) you know you can do it again and survive. It helps them put it in perspective that life goes on and life will be what WE make it, and can still be a good existence even with The Frills gone....

Try finding a 16 oz can of food.

Somehow they've kept the outsides of the cans the same, but reduced the net weight to around 14 oz. (or less). Beats me....

Nomen luni
27th December 2008, 15:51
Here in the UK, supermarket meat is now pumped up with water and god only knows what else. You have to cook it for an age to drive off all the liquid and it boils itself in the process.

sunsetcliff
27th December 2008, 19:52
Holy cow! I noticed that too on dish soap!!! The new paint formula does not cover. It is like water color.

This is interesting...they found that dead bodies dont decay as fast now- due to all the preservatives in it.

Lookout for chocolate -the newest formula doesnt contain cocoa butter!!! So older stuff, even stale is better.

Hello UK, pump water into meat. OMG! What a rip off!!! I did see part of a documentary on UK grocers.. supposedly the consumer wants meat that way.

All the shrinkage both in product and services, well it makes me simply drop out. A good example is all the phone charges. So I have only the minumin where every call is billed. SO now that bill runs under $7 a month. Cell phone bills kept going up.... what started as $20 is now $42. So I let them cancel it. If I must be on the road, a prepaid is enough.

Everything is a racket- with a package and fine print.

I can just see someons poor mom trying to figure it out.

10 years ago, I would help my mom. But today, I cant seem to do it myself. Those phone menus drive me nuts. Then if you finally get a rep, they are not able to over ride the computer screen.
...I give up.

On retail grocers, I always trigger the over ride where they need a 2nd staff. Like this now happens every time. So I almost think, I am over paying if there isnt an over ride.

They want you to self check out too now. Well Aldis will still check you out, and I never need an over ride there.

But you know, I would pay more for real food- that is nutritious, but Weis has food like substances ....not real food.

DannyBoy
28th December 2008, 11:51
The bridge collapse in Minneapolis was due to the use of imporoperly sized gusset plates (1/2 inch instead of 1 inch). The engineering firm which designed the bridge has been long out of business and the engineer who stamped the drawings and calculations has been dead for a few years.

Upon review of all the records, they could not find any calculations for sizing the gusset plates, which are a very critical structural member, translating loads from horizontal beams to vertical beams. I'm not sure how much money was saved by avoiding the calculation and purchasing the smaller size. But those cut corners resulted in death.

It's not just dish soap, canned food, and embalming fluid that is being adulterated and cheapened. It is the quality of concrete being used in our roads and public buildings. It is the reflected in the lead found in imported childrens toys. It can be found in the negligence of our watchdogs (whether USDA, SEC, CFTC, etc.), through outright bribes or veiled threats.

When we travel down a public road or purchase food from a market, there is an implicit trust that the "system" is working. I shudder at the thought of such a collapse in public trust. More so than I fear economic depression.

My Pants Are Cold
29th December 2008, 13:16
And what's up with a "half gallon" of ice cream? It's now like 1.5 quarts.:confused:

Sue-Z-Q
30th December 2008, 18:05
qwertyqwerty

fansubs_ca
31st December 2008, 05:26
Upon review of all the records, they could not find any calculations for sizing the gusset plates, which are a very critical structural member, translating loads from horizontal beams to vertical beams. I'm not sure how much money was saved by avoiding the calculation and purchasing the smaller size. But those cut corners resulted in death.

Ironically it probably didn't even save money. At least in the long run
because the bridge didn't last as long as it should have making the cost
per year of use higher. This is what happens when someone can't
differentiate between conserving and skimping. So in reality all the pain
was for no gain.

I have noticed both VCRs and bicycles being made crappier hiding
inflation by showing a lower sticker price even though the cost of
one equivalent to the past product would be double. (VCRs compared
to about 2000, bicycles compared to early 1990s.)

sunsetcliff
31st December 2008, 07:52
The bridge collapse in Minneapolis was due to the use of imporoperly sized gusset plates (1/2 inch instead of 1 inch). The engineering firm which designed the bridge has been long out of business and the engineer who stamped the drawings and calculations has been dead for a few years.

It's not just dish soap, canned food, and embalming fluid that is being adulterated and cheapened. It is the quality of concrete being used in our roads and public buildings. It is the reflected in the lead found in imported childrens toys. It can be found in the negligence of our watchdogs (whether USDA, SEC, CFTC, etc.), through outright bribes or veiled threats.

When we travel down a public road or purchase food from a market, there is an implicit trust that the "system" is working. I shudder at the thought of such a collapse in public trust. More so than I fear economic depression.

I could not agree with you more! And now with the current way of govt, companies get rewarded for not doing their job.

The above is my one hesitation to nuclear expansion.

Walmart is a force that started the cheap crap.

...the govt is obsolete. It serves no function. Weather it wants to or not, it has been destroyed.

I was thinking on the finance mess. This mess is NOT all of a sudden. I seen signs of it, MANY years ago. Like- I am the 1 deficient bread winner. I noticed that at age 22. I am 45 now. The jobs of good wages went to others who were for whatever reason, better suited. ya know- age 45 is the end of the baby boom... so a big mob of people gut a salad bar, and the left overs in life go to those at the end of the line.

I am seriously thinking of some other way of cleaning dishes. As they use to say, "drop out".

Sue-Z-Q
31st December 2008, 07:54
qwertyqwerty

sunsetcliff
31st December 2008, 07:56
Sue, letters to companies mean NOTHING. The ONLY thing they understand, is loss of sales.

Vote with your dollars.

..on Bikes, they actually are a good deal for the money. I used my mountain bike much of the summer to drive less. I will do it again. I moved as many errands close to home as I could.

Sue-Z-Q
31st December 2008, 09:18
Sue, letters to companies mean NOTHING. The ONLY thing they understand, is loss of sales.

Vote with your dollars.

..on Bikes, they actually are a good deal for the money. I used my mountain bike much of the summer to drive less. I will do it again. I moved as many errands close to home as I could.

qwertyqwerty