PDA

View Full Version : stocking up on goods, etc

jechilt
23rd December 2008, 20:46
I have seen several posts from those that have started storing supplies for the possible upcoming times.

If we are wrong, ohhh well. If we are right, glad to have prepared.

Have anyone put together a how-to list or any kind of checklist that they would be willing to share to help people (like me) get started. I am sure I am behind the power curve so I am a bit flustered as to where to start. What do I get first, how much, where is the best place to store, etc?

I asked my wife to get involved but she thinks I am nuts and she said if I was "so" convinced, I would have to do it by myself. At least we are already positioned with gold and silver. So, as far as preparing for possible hard times....here I go. Better late then never, right?

mick silver
23rd December 2008, 21:04
start by buying caes of can vegs , then some can meat like span , tuna , just try an buy stuff you all eat the most of , an buy a little ever week , i have almost a year of can an dry food save up now for 3. an if you have alot of money i would try an store aleast 3 months fast as i can then add ever week to that . when you use the food you have you just add back to that ever week

Nomen luni
23rd December 2008, 21:36
This is an excellent magazine, but even if you just sign up to the forums for free, it should be useful. There are free articles on the site.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/

If your preparations low profile. If people are in need, they will want what is yours.

jechilt
24th December 2008, 06:41
I was thinking about mountainous living and was watching a video about our national parks. Shoot....the presidents have been signing over our parks to the United Nations. In other words, it is not our land anymore.
After watching a program about the Bildeberger group, I am not so sure any mountain region is good. In their quest for power, they want to reduce the population and one of way of doing it is using land that is hard to survive. From the charts shown, it looks like a future plan is to push people into the land areas owned by who else, the UN.
Sorry, I got off track here. I want to keep this thread on the purpose at hand...properly preparing to take care of my family should things go bad, sooner than later.

Nomen luni
24th December 2008, 08:08
Hey, jechilt:

This is very much worthwhile reading and even covers city vs country living. It's invaluable because it's written from experience:
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

Do not let the wife put you off. No one has a crystal ball, but I would rather be prepared and be a laughing stock if it doesn't happen, than not be prepared and it does. It's a thankless task but you are doing the right thing.

If you don't have one, get a gun. This is not gun nut talk. If you read that link you will see that people who weren't prepared to defend themselves had some very unpleasant experiences. There's too much attitude of 'I'm a good person, could never happen to me'

Good luck with your preps.

Asheron
24th December 2008, 08:13
My list so far:

Survival Books
Wild Food Books
Freeze Dried Foods
Canned Foods
.22 Air Rifle X 2
.22 pellets X 100 tins of 500
Horton Crossbow + Bolts
Petrol Generator
Solar Power Mini Generator
Fire Wood (lots of it)
Coal (lots of it)
Water Filters
Fishing Gear
Toothpaste + Bathroom supplies
Good hunting knives x 5
Organic Garden Seeds (Storing in Freezer)

JustChris
24th December 2008, 16:54
I was thinking about mountainous living and was watching a video about our national parks. Shoot....the presidents have been signing over our parks to the United Nations. In other words, it is not our land anymore.
After watching a program about the Bildeberger group, I am not so sure any mountain region is good. In their quest for power, they want to reduce the population and one of way of doing it is using land that is hard to survive. From the charts shown, it looks like a future plan is to push people into the land areas owned by who else, the UN.
Sorry, I got off track here. I want to keep this thread on the purpose at hand...properly preparing to take care of my family should things go bad, sooner than later.

As far as the Bilderberg Group talk, it is an agenda, not a conspiracy.

As with the Rockefellers, Rothschilds, Bohemian Grove etc.

I recommend a lot of videos www.FederalJack.com has on their main page.

Anyone who doesn't know about the Bilderberg Group meetings, I highly recommend watching this:
http://www.federaljack.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=68#endgame

jechilt
24th December 2008, 17:24
this is going to take some time to digest. It is hard to accept such things. I guess it is part of the propaganda machine. I feel like I am at that stage from the movie, Matrix. Take the red pill or the blue pill. I choose to wake up and fight.
I have a long way to go so I appreciate all the feedback.

jechilt
24th December 2008, 17:33
My list so far:

Survival Books
Wild Food Books
Freeze Dried Foods
Canned Foods
.22 Air Rifle X 2
.22 pellets X 100 tins of 500
Horton Crossbow + Bolts
Petrol Generator
Solar Power Mini Generator
Fire Wood (lots of it)
Coal (lots of it)
Water Filters
Fishing Gear
Toothpaste + Bathroom supplies
Good hunting knives x 5
Organic Garden Seeds (Storing in Freezer)

Asherton, when I was young, I had a high power pellet gun that I used for frog hunting. It worked pretty good. I am an a pretty good shot but a air gun would probably only slow down a 'bad guy'. Is a .22 Air Rifle the same thing as a air gun? I am assuming it is...
Are .22 pellets more cost effective than using traditional rounds in a traditional gun? I am not sure what prices are. I do know my friend, who is a semi-pro firearm shooter makes his own rounds. He said he does it because the rounds in the store cost too much.

Do you have any suggested places to look for a solar power generator?

Looking at the list, I get the feeling city living is probably not the best choice. Right now, I can't afford to move...stuck due to certain obligations and home financing. Then again, if needed, I could walk away. I get the feeling that "credit ratings" in the future won't amount to much anyway...

JustChris
25th December 2008, 02:02
this is going to take some time to digest. It is hard to accept such things. I guess it is part of the propaganda machine. I feel like I am at that stage from the movie, Matrix. Take the red pill or the blue pill. I choose to wake up and fight.
I have a long way to go so I appreciate all the feedback.

I know, knowing what is going on right now sucks, especially at my age when noone gives a ****.

I can't imagine what it must be like to realize after 20-30+ years that most of everything you have been taught was a complete lie, and after you find out, you almost want to become a happy ignorant sheep again, but you know you have to keep spreading the knowledge and be prepared for the worst.

Like every dictatorship with massive amounts of genocide, there were always bans on guns, much like we are heading towards, as it is you can't buy anything that will protect you from military personnel in California, since it's an "assault rifle."

The next thing they are going for is the internet, as it is the only thing in their way.
Look up net neutrality, and what they are going to try to push for internet access, it's very disheartening.

JustChris
25th December 2008, 02:11
Asherton, when I was young, I had a high power pellet gun that I used for frog hunting. It worked pretty good. I am an a pretty good shot but a air gun would probably only slow down a 'bad guy'. Is a .22 Air Rifle the same thing as a air gun? I am assuming it is...
Are .22 pellets more cost effective than using traditional rounds in a traditional gun? I am not sure what prices are. I do know my friend, who is a semi-pro firearm shooter makes his own rounds. He said he does it because the rounds in the store cost too much.

Do you have any suggested places to look for a solar power generator?

Looking at the list, I get the feeling city living is probably not the best choice. Right now, I can't afford to move...stuck due to certain obligations and home financing. Then again, if needed, I could walk away. I get the feeling that "credit ratings" in the future won't amount to much anyway...
Oh also, a .22 is much more powerful than a pellet gun.
They can probably go on for about a mile, and aren't toys, and can definitely take down small game and kill someone if they were shot in the midsection/head.
Ammo is super cheap for them, but don't expect to be protected from anyone in body armor.

Watch these two guys rob a bank with full body armor back in 1997 in LA.
Both shot more than 25 times before being taken down, and that's with officers shooting 9mm and .45ACP rounds, and they have to call in for an AR-15.
Now imagine what a few trained soldiers can do against untrained civilians, and there are already soldiers that were just stationed in case of civil unrest.

Makes you think.

jechilt
25th December 2008, 14:50
I routinely shoot with expert marksman ratings with a .38, M-16, and 9mm. I shot with my dad's 30ot6 when I was a kid. The only reason I have considered getting a weapon is to protect the family from possible crazies but more importantly, to hunt with.
I am looking at a bow too. A guy just offered me this for 450.
Bear truth compound bow fully loaded with sight, whisker buiskit, limbsavers, peep, quiver. comes with case, arrows, fletching tool, release, arm guard, extra fletchings, lots of broadheads, belt clip quiver
No idea if it is a good deal or not but it seems like it. The guy says it is like this one, but a truth 1 version http://www.beararcheryproducts.com/bows/compound/truth2/

Sue-Z-Q
4th January 2009, 11:21
qwertyqwerty

AU Magnet
4th January 2009, 12:52
My first post here. Looks like a great site. I see you have problems with spammers. Can't they be banned as soon as they show up?

I have been into preparedness for 40 years and am a member of several preparedness sites. A lot of people go off the deep end with their preparations, often opting for firepower over common sense such as putting aside some necessities and food. It is interesting to note that many hardcore "survivalists" actually think that gold and silver will become worthless when we are reduced to smouldering ruins. Anything of a more realistic nature than that escapes them. I have argued with them until I no longer care. They think that Spam will be the next currency (seriously). Of course, history is on our side of the argument. As for me, I am of the opinion that gold is King but silver is the workhorse and will get things done in the trenches. But, I am biased towards silver anyways.

I had an avatar but it was gigantic. It was of a Mexican Libertad. One of my favorites. Maybe I will work on resizing it. Wished they made them that big in reality!

Thoriz
4th January 2009, 13:02
www.survivalblog.com

This site (and archives) should keep you reading for quite some time. Very practical info IMO.

My Pants Are Cold
4th January 2009, 20:00
Tin foil. Don't forget the tin foil. Just because the Bilderburgs have taken down the power grid doesn't mean you'll no longer need protection from the mind rays.

Sue-Z-Q
4th January 2009, 20:12
qwertyqwerty

Chiswick40
9th January 2009, 05:18
My first post here. Looks like a great site. I see you have problems with spammers. Can't they be banned as soon as they show up?

I have been into preparedness for 40 years and am a member of several preparedness sites. A lot of people go off the deep end with their preparations, often opting for firepower over common sense such as putting aside some necessities and food. It is interesting to note that many hardcore "survivalists" actually think that gold and silver will become worthless when we are reduced to smouldering ruins. Anything of a more realistic nature than that escapes them. I have argued with them until I no longer care. They think that Spam will be the next currency (seriously). Of course, history is on our side of the argument. As for me, I am of the opinion that gold is King but silver is the workhorse and will get things done in the trenches. But, I am biased towards silver anyways.

I had an avatar but it was gigantic. It was of a Mexican Libertad. One of my favorites. Maybe I will work on resizing it. Wished they made them that big in reality!

Interesting post. 40 years is a long time to wait.
Looks like you will not be waiting that much longer.

This article is fascinating...it is very similar to what you are waiting for. Perhaps you have seen it.
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.08/tshtf1.html

sunsetcliff
9th January 2009, 14:17

actually I wondered about a painless way to suicide. not that I want to but if one suffers horribly--- then why suffer.

welcome to the group!!!!

Mylläri
9th January 2009, 15:50
Great thread! Over the past 2 years or so I have been studying horticulture quite a bit as well as other biological sciences related to the growing of organic food. It is a good education to have and there is no end to the amount you can learn. Stocking up on survival goods is always a good idea, knowing how to grow food for sustenance I believe is one of the greatest skills anyone can have as Big Ag business (ie Monsanto) is always going to try to control the food supply as much as they can.

roadrash76
15th January 2009, 11:49
All the info that has been posted on here is invaluable. I just want to add one thing that I did not read (maybe I missed it). That is teaming up with individuals or groups that are like minded.

Most people will think that you are paranoid, crazy, off the deep end, etc. But now more than ever, more people are awake to the reality that faces all of us. The website about the economic collapse in Argentina was very informative, I read the article or blog sometime back and it has alot of great info to offer.

Again, keeping a low profile and not being pushy or obvious...seek out those that are on the same page. You will find that sharing thoughts will lead to new ideas that will help all involved.

Also, stay focused... don't be distracted by things like tv, video games and the like. Shop at costco or sams where your dollar will go a long way. Supermarkets once in a while will have case lot sales for canned goods.

I have been fortunate enough that my wife supports me in my efforts therefore making it OUR efforts. I got a second job so I could acquire things fasters. I also sold and will continue to sell what I can to finance my efforts. Yard sales are good, use craigslist. I just got a 6 person tent for $40 bucks. Those that don't believe are selling things that if they only knew, would not be selling them. Oh well, their loss is your gain.

I once read a quote that read something like this:

"Chance favors the prepared mind" Louis Pasteur

A book that I found very useful and will no doubt continue to be is "When all hell breaks loose; by Cody Lundin. You can buy it from Amazon.com

well, hope that helps. Good luck to us all.

Ancona
17th January 2009, 13:55
There is nothing inherently wrong or weird about having a surplus of food, ammo and money. My grandparents were children of the depression, and had a cellar full of food they rotated and ate. They could have lived comfortably for a couple of years.

My wife and I began stacking and storing some time age, on fears that our economy was out of control. It has only been since this past year that my lovely wife got on board with the stacking, but better now than never I say.

Food storage is relatively straightforward and easy. Each week, we go to BJ's wholesale and look for the canned goods with the farthest [away] dates, and stock up. We figure that we buy ten percent to twenty percent more than we consume on a weekly basis. WE have a storage/laundry room loaded with baker style shelves and use it for our "super pantry"

There is no need to rush out and spend thousands of dollars on food. Just build up reserves slowly and patiently. Don't forget cleaning supplies, hand soap, vitamins, hygiene products etc. We have even bought a couple extra pairs of prescription eyeglasses and first aid stuff.

If it doesn't hit the fan, we still have a fat reserve that will last a year and a half to two years with no additional purchases. Does this make us freaks? I think not. It is our opinion that we are being prudent in the face of Government panic. Watching the news does not give a true picture of the calamity occurring in the system.

Don't become complacent, and by NO means trust what the Government is telling you. When the truth does not help the Government position, it is often NOT disseminated to the public.

All of you who are being prudent and storing some extra food and neccesities are going to be the survivors. Those who laugh and tell you that you forgot your tin foil hat, will be banging on your door, apologising and begging for a sandwich.

I say Right On to the savers.

By the way, there is NO reason to let on to ANYONE that you have any kind of food stored, silver stacked or freezers full of meat. If you have guns, keep that quiet too. Loose lips sink ships. In the **** does hit the fan, you will have made yourself a target.

sunsetcliff
17th January 2009, 15:10
An great post!