PDA

View Full Version : Do Not, Forget, To BUY Storable Food, Self Defense Items!

Asheron
16th December 2008, 14:06
Don't forget to buy Storable Foods, at least 2 months supply.

I have 2000 Cans of beans, for my Bum

mick silver
16th December 2008, 15:56
been buying every thing we need almost a year of food now , lots of ammo , first aid stuff , and a few guns , my cabin almost done now , have a lot of seeds an silver an gold for trading if needed , now i am looking to run my cabin off the grid , just got to hugh inverters an solar panel to charge the batterys just got my tractor up to power , fire wood cut up , new stove for cabin

Asheron
16th December 2008, 17:17
Thats a good idea, Solar Power, cheers im going to look into this.

sunsetcliff
20th December 2008, 14:38
OMG men. I am so unprepared.

I would like to learn to freaze dry food. the shelf live is then up to 30 years.

I know nothing about guns. I bought a case of olives, cashews and cereal. sSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssss ooooo AHHhh

LOL

Stuff in my cabinet, stuff in boxes are cans, GOES STALE. as I never eat it.

I know I must change now....

ricm123
20th December 2008, 16:26
OMG men. I am so unprepared.

I would like to learn to freaze dry food. the shelf live is then up to 30 years.

I know nothing about guns. I bought a case of olives, cashews and cereal. sSSSSSSSSSSSSSsssss ooooo AHHhh

LOL

Stuff in my cabinet, stuff in boxes are cans, GOES STALE. as I never eat it.

I know I must change now....

You can buy a few extra items on each visit to the store and gradually build up stored provisions. (Provided the big whatever doesn't hit for a while(?)

Most all foods are dated. It can help to use a Sharpie and re-date them in larger numbers as soon as you get home from the store. Then comes the hard part .... Depending on how/where you store provisions determines how inconvenient it may be to rotate stock. This means when you buy a new can of vegetables, you go to the basement (or wherever), replace the oldest can with the new one, and put the older can "on deck" to be consumed soonest.

I make up my shopping list and gather what I need for this week from the basement first. (Canned goods / non-perishables)
At the store I buy twice as much as needed (unless I see a super deal) and take it to the basement when I get home. My stored supply gets bigger each week and my wallet is not smacked too much at once.

Large bags of dried beans and rice are pretty inexpensive. I toss them into the freezer for a few days to possibly kill any 'critter eggs' that may be in them. I read that storing them with bay leaves supposedly keeps insects out. It seems to have worked for me for the last 10 years or so. (I can't verify that the freezer or the Bay leaves really work; both are easy and neither can hurt. I've not found any bugs or eggs in my stored foods.)

Dollar stores often sell large plastic containers that will store several pounds of dried foods with room for a small webbed bag of Bay leaves. (I use empty onion bags.)

There are many links on Home Canning if you think you may have time and/or interest in that. Also more complex and drastic modes of survival can be pursued. Use your own judgment on how much you think you may need and don't forget water!

Drumblebum
21st December 2008, 11:56
I'd post a link to a pretty good survival/prep section on another board, but some admins get pissed at you for farming, so I won't unless someone says it's cool.

mick silver
21st December 2008, 14:02
I'd post a link to a pretty good survival/prep section on another board, but some admins get pissed at you for farming, so I won't unless someone says it's cool.

go for it , i do not see why you can 't