PDA

View Full Version : Thieves used a torch and chisel to get through a 2,000 pound safe to steal a coin

mick silver
3rd December 2008, 15:49
By Nora MuchanicWEST WINDSOR, N.J. - December 2, 2008 - (WPVI) -- Thieves used a torch and chisel to get through a 2,000 pound safe to steal a coin collection worth about $500,000.
Ron Cohen of West Windsor, New Jersey, is still in the state of shock.
While he was away on vacation with his grandchildren recently, thieves broke into that safe in the garage of his Village Grande home, clearing out his beloved coin collection worth as much as a half million dollars.
It's believed the thieves, who carefully planned the heist, worked for almost 6 hours, torching their way through tempered steel and 4 inches of cement to unlock the safe.
Story continues belowAdvertisement
"They hit me the night I left," Cohen said. "They had to figure it was cash."
But instead they found 12 black and white binders filled with valuable coins and some jewelry that belonged to Cohen's wife.
Cohen thinks the thieves knew he'd be out of town.
"Had to be somebody who did work at the house and tipped off somebody," Cohen said.
The thieves left their shoeprints behind along with a handful of coins, like an1862 Indian head cent in mint condition.
"Part of the fun of collecting coins is, 'Abe Lincoln could have held this in his hand.' When you collect something for 50 years, each coin becomes like a child," said Cohen.
Cohen is trying to get the word out so that fellow coin collectors can be on the lookout should someone try to sell the stolen goods.
If that hasn't already happened.
"Hopefully whoever buys this collection sees this and says, 'You know what? I got his coins. I've got to give them back,'" said Cohen.
Neighbors apparently noticed this hole in the garage door and saw a vehicle parked in Cohen's driveway but never called police.
Police are investigating, but unless an honest coin dealer or pawn shop owner recognizes Cohen's collection he's out of luck.
He didn't carry insurance on the coins because it was too expensive.
Click here to get the latest Philadelphia news and headlines from across the Delaware and Lehigh valleys.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=6535140&rss=rss-wpvi-article-6535140

Frelodr
3rd December 2008, 16:06
If you ever hear who did this please post.
I would bet my money on a family member or good friend or coin dealer was involved.
1) They had to know he was leaving town and how long he would be gone.
2) They had to know where to look for a safe, and even know to look for a
safe and what equipment was needed to open it.
3) Know that the crime was worth the effort.
But I would put most of my money on a family member.
Like a son or daughter --> they knew he was gone, he had the grandkids.
Lodr

nuslvrkwen
3rd December 2008, 18:28
So these jerks worked for 6 hours on this safe and the neighbors noticed a car parked in the driveway of this home but didn't call police. I agree; these thieves DID know what was there and what was needed to get into the safe. I'm hoping Mick Silver posts the follow up story too. Maybe things will end up like the last major bullion theft. The recycler told the thieves the bar they had was lead and called police.

mick silver
3rd December 2008, 19:32
Why did this guy have his safe in the garage so ever one could see it, an if you watch the vid it show him moving it , why was it not bolted down , I AM SORRY but somthing wrong here IF i had 500.000.00 in gold an silver it would NOT be in my garage

Frelodr
3rd December 2008, 19:48
He may have set it up to collect on insurance.
Years ago I knew a guy who told some guys he would be gone and to break in and steal his guns. He wanted to collect insurance --> plus he wanted one of his guns back after it all blew over. He got busted because one of the guys got caught with a gun and he told on everyone. Lodr

mick silver
3rd December 2008, 20:03
YOU can not get insurance on bullion at home , Just call your company you deal with , Let me know how it go's ,