PDA

View Full Version : If weed were legal

Generation Y
28th November 2008, 00:33
Would there be a commodities (corn, soybean, etc) market for it?

Burticus
28th November 2008, 10:51
If anyone wants to fry their ukranium by smoking weed, the gubmint should not stop 'em, as long as nobody else is harmed in the process. The gubmint "war on everything" has been a colossal failure, only giving them an excuse for more control, locking up a million sheeple and costing the rest of us billions.

The logical solution would be to make cultivation for personal use lawful, while leaving the importation and sale unlawful. This would save taxpayers billions on the law enforcement-court-lawyer-prison money racket, eliminate demand for foreign trafficking and cut off the billions of FRNs sent to the drug cartels. Savings and manpower could be used for stopping importation at our borders. Of course, this would be too logical and would not achieve the gubmint's true objectives of stealing from and oppressing the sheeple.

Besides, any weed exchange on the Crimex would be a price manipulation tug-of-war between the drug cartels and the gubmint.

Ardent Listener
28th November 2008, 18:12
Besides the fry your brain factor, it is too dam easy to grow weed if it where legal to make it a good commodity to be traded.....in my humble opinion.

Generation Y
28th November 2008, 19:40
Generally speaking, some of the smokers would not have the patience to grow their own and would be buyers instead of gardeners alowing a very substantial market to prosper.

I wholly agree that the relative ease of marijuana cultivation would be a great buffer for any tax burdens that could be placed (such as alcohol tax, tobacco tax) allowing for a "free market" to be produced, supported, and maintained directly by consumers.

Among the potential medical benefits (cancer patients, etc) there are several uses involved with industry (fibers, clothing) and even food (seeds for protein, hemp oil).

What I'm asking is would marijuana be off of a commodities market (such as alcohol). Or could it be potentially be looped into a by-the-bushel agricultural futures type of thing?

Richard
30th November 2008, 11:38
lol... kind of funny that this would be "growing in the basement" of this forum's topics!

What I'm asking is would marijuana be off of a commodities market (such as alcohol). Or could it be potentially be looped into a by-the-bushel agricultural futures type of thing?

That's the same thing, G-Y. Commodities trade by futures. Anyway, assuming it was legal... sure, why not? Tobacco is and, just FYI, like cannibis it has other uses besides smoking...
http://www.geocities.com/miscsdnta/otheruses.html

But I wouldn't hold your breath... lol, no pun intended on the subject!... in waiting for legal pot to be traded on the exchange. The war on tobacco is over 400 years old and its being lost by liberty and won by the social-ill cure-allists as it were!

I wish I could find the link I read a long time ago. Apparently, tobacco is/was the most adaptable crop in the world, and it's commericial viability is essential to keeping that a part of civilization and modern farming. That was why Walter Raleigh was SIR Walter Raleigh... once tobacco hit Europe, aside from increasing famer profits, also allowed better farming in the new world. I'm no farmer, but it makes sense to me... if donkeys had been banned, we wouldn't have mules because mules can't reproduce on their own! So if tobacco (and perhaps even hemp?) really are essential to hybriding crops, we'd be screwed in wrecking the commercial viability of them, ie... banning recreational use or at least scaring people away from them!

That's what I conclude from the whole thing, anyway. I think the whole "war on social ills" is really being pursued because what's a tyrant class to do once the people no longer need their guidance and market interventions?! Why... tell them they will die, of course, and if nessecary tell them it will kill other people too unless we tax the hell out of it or tax heavily to ban it!

Besides, if nothing else a little excess is surely a sign that tyranny on more basic things wasn't working well enough! lol

lilbigclug
10th December 2008, 02:03
If weed were made legal it WOULD save tax payers billions of dollars but would also cause the people who profit from prisons (courts, lawyers, probation officers and the big time rich folks who run all of it) to loose those billions of dollars. People are always going to use drugs and the power structure knows that which makes the prison system and courts the most efficient, profitable business out there. Why help these people by offering education and drug counseling? That would be too logical and would seriously decrease the probability of those people returning to prison. There is no room for caring and compassionate behavior in a capitalist society. I mean come on there is a lot of money out there to be made.

SilverWeed
10th December 2008, 11:19
Hmmmm.....here's something I know something about, living in one of the states that supports medical marijuana.
And even though I could get a dr's reco note because of a disability on a back injury suffered many years ago, I always feared federal prosecution more than anything the local authorities could muster up, even though I always grew less than the amount allowed under the state MM laws as well. I feel that no matter what, they'd sooner see gold at $3000 an ounce instead of anyone having the ability to grow something in their back yard that could hopefully give them some sort of pain relief, instead of a pharmaceutical hangover. But they can't stop it, especially now that the Dems are in power. I predict you'll see an end to the hassles the Feds continue imposing on the MM dispensaries in California. In fact, if legalization is in the cards, let's face it, it will come from the socially liberal Dems as opposed to the laws against everything Repubs. But who pays any attention to them?? All this financial Armageddon stuff it would seem that all this fluff would end as they can't afford such non-sense any longer.
Overall, it makes no difference to me or many like me whether it's legal or not. If I started living my life in reaction to these anti-freedom and liberty biggots, I'd get NOTHING done. Legal? Hell, I can't even keep the kids out of my cherry tree. What do you think they'd do if they knew there was weed growing in the back yard during the spring and summer??
Anyway, I'll end here and mention that even though my sympathies are with the green crowd and what they covet, I've NEVER been a criminal except in the eyes of the controllers in Washington DC and almost consider that a badge of honor. It's been a BIG part of my life and the crowd I hang with and it's taught me everything I know about farming, agriculture, horticulture, biology, earth science, finances, imports and exports, law and many other things (which is considerable, if I do say so myself) a lot of ordinary people know nothing about. My friends know about my legendary Green Thumb (in capital letters for a reason) and always look to me for advice, guidence and encouragement (and maybe a clone or two too) and being the good citizen that I am, I always tell em and help em out too.
Yep, that crowd in Washington DC & Wall Street really IS the enemy. The enemy of common sense, not to mention that freedom and liberty thingy. Screw them, they deserve no less and I'll (continue) to do what I want like as I have now for going on 56 years. :)

buff
12th December 2008, 15:37
Weed is already a commodity with a market. So, exactly what are you asking?

JustChris
18th December 2008, 23:28
If anyone wants to fry their ukranium by smoking weed, the gubmint should not stop 'em, as long as nobody else is harmed in the process. The gubmint "war on everything" has been a colossal failure, only giving them an excuse for more control, locking up a million sheeple and costing the rest of us billions.

The logical solution would be to make cultivation for personal use lawful, while leaving the importation and sale unlawful. This would save taxpayers billions on the law enforcement-court-lawyer-prison money racket, eliminate demand for foreign trafficking and cut off the billions of FRNs sent to the drug cartels. Savings and manpower could be used for stopping importation at our borders. Of course, this would be too logical and would not achieve the gubmint's true objectives of stealing from and oppressing the sheeple.

Besides, any weed exchange on the Crimex would be a price manipulation tug-of-war between the drug cartels and the gubmint.

As a medical marijuana user, I can easily tell you that you are either:
A. Misinformed
or
B.Stupid

But I think your grammar speaks for itself.

hiyosilver
19th December 2008, 01:08
.................................................. ........(cough).............here................"just another brick in the wall"......................(damn, when's that stop sign going to turn green)...........

buff
19th December 2008, 12:57
If anyone wants to fry their ukranium by smoking weed, the gubmint should not stop 'em, as long as nobody else is harmed in the process.

This is what weed does to a simi-normal brain. If weed were legal your kids could shove all they wanted down their lungs and add to the system of mutant genes they already have.

JustChris
19th December 2008, 14:07
This is what weed does to a simi-normal brain. If weed were legal your kids could shove all they wanted down their lungs and add to the system of mutant genes they already have.

Hmm, yet cannabis has been around since the beginning of time, and yet you'd rather give your kids some pharmaceutical medicine that isn't even well researched.
Look at how many kids are being given anti-depressants, anxiety medications, and even psychoactive medications. The doctors hand them out like candy, because that is how they make their money.

I guess by your logic, your statement means that your children (if you have any) are downing bottles of alcohol and chain-smoking cigarettes like there is no tomorrow.

Also, modern medicines have been very detrimental to our society.
They have brought on a whole generation where a vast majority of the people are under the effects of these mind suppressing drugs, and pass on deformities and diseases to their kids that is only cause by these drugs. (i.e. Autism)
It also causes doctors to continue with the temporary fixes, rather than cure the problem.

So bottom line is this.

Are you going to use a plant that can be vaporized or even eaten, that has been PROVEN to have no detrimental effects, and has actually been proven to slow the growth of cancer tumors, stop glaucoma, epilepsy, depression, anxiety etc. with many mind expanding effects (You want to seek more knowledge)
Or would you rather be a mind controlled sheep just like the masses taking a fluoride based compound with absolutely no clues to the long term effects they have on your, or to your genes that will be passed on.

I mean, the government tells you marijuana is bad, and they never lie. :rolleyes:

buff
19th December 2008, 20:04
Look at how many kids are being given anti-depressants, anxiety medications, and even psychoactive medications. The doctors hand them out like candy, because that is how they make their money.

I mean, the government tells you marijuana is bad, and they never lie.

You are right. Kids are on every kind of prescription drug. And how do they get to the doctor? Their crazy ass parents (parent) takes them there to medicate the effects of the disfunctional homes they live in.

About the government lying about marijuana being harmful...Why don't you tell me just how you and your kids are benefiting from the crap your smoke.
Thanks for the screwed up gene pool.

My Pants Are Cold
19th December 2008, 20:28
Hmm, yet cannabis has been around since the beginning of time, and yet you'd rather give your kids some pharmaceutical medicine that isn't even well researched.

I guess by your logic, your statement means that your children (if you have any) are downing bottles of alcohol and chain-smoking cigarettes like there is no tomorrow.

Also, modern medicines have been very detrimental to our society.
They have brought on a whole generation where a vast majority of the people are under the effects of these mind suppressing drugs, and pass on deformities and diseases to their kids that is only cause by these drugs. (i.e. Autism)
It also causes doctors to continue with the temporary fixes, rather than cure the problem.

So bottom line is this.

Are you going to use a plant that can be vaporized or even eaten, that has been PROVEN to have no detrimental effects, and has actually been proven to slow the growth of cancer tumors, stop glaucoma, epilepsy, depression, anxiety etc. with many mind expanding effects (You want to seek more knowledge)
Or would you rather be a mind controlled sheep just like the masses taking a fluoride based compound with absolutely no clues to the long term effects they have on your, or to your genes that will be passed on.

I mean, the government tells you marijuana is bad, and they never lie. :rolleyes:
Chris, do your self a favor and mute buff now, he's just a forum troll that has nothing substantial to add to any discussion.

buff
19th December 2008, 21:13
Yeah......I will not be able to add to your cause to make dope legal for you and your kids. But you go right ahead.