PDA

View Full Version : Saving car giants will cause havoc, Gordon Brown warns US

mick silver
16th November 2008, 15:08
Tensions at the start of the G20 summit run high as Prime Minister deems return to 1930s policies ‘unacceptable’
No substantial deals are expected before the inauguration of Barack Obama in January
Francis Elliott in Washington, Suzy Jagger in New York and Gary Duncan, Economics Editor
In a veiled warning to the next American President, Gordon Brown described protectionism as the “road to ruin” yesterday as international tensions surfaced at the start of the G20 summit in Washington.

As world leaders assembled for dinner at the White House last night at the start of the two-day meeting, the backdrop was one of plunging sales and surging unemployment. The New York stock market dropped 350 points after official data showed that US retail sales had fallen by 2.8 per cent in October, the biggest slide for 16 years.

The mood was darkened further with confirmation that the eurozone was now in the grip of recession for the first time since the creation of the single currency in 1999.

The news will add impetus to calls for internationally co-ordinated tax cuts, public infrastructure projects and other measures to stave off a severe global recession. Although some measures to reform international financial oversight are set to be agreed at the G20 meeting this weekend, no substantial deals are expected before the inauguration of Barack Obama in January
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/economics/article5158583.ece

research24
16th November 2008, 17:42
Great wisdom from a nation that has NO industry. That clod can't run his own country, so he'll try to run ours.

cugir321
16th November 2008, 17:46
I think they want us to fail.

Great wisdom from a nation that has NO industry. That clod can't run his own country, so he'll try to run ours.

research24
16th November 2008, 17:50
Gordon Brown pouts. Suffers from permanent depression.

argentos
16th November 2008, 18:22
That clod can't run his own country, so he'll try to run ours.

His own country (Scotland) has been very ill served by his years as Chancellor of the Exchequer.

He has not done much for England either.

But I'm in a minority with that opinion. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5127162.ece

research24
16th November 2008, 18:29
He has not done much for England either.

I'd say he's done quite enough. The Brits are in worse shape than we are.

I would interpret the muted outcome of G20 to mean that the jackals do not think the lion is wounded badly enough to risk moving in for the kill. Teh jackals are too badly wounded themselves.

argentos
16th November 2008, 18:34
I'd say he's done quite enough. The Brits are in worse shape than we are.

Tell me about it! (sarcasm)

mark2112gum
16th November 2008, 19:01
If one man could change his countries standing and fiscal situation wouldn't he be thought of as a genius King like figure!

The G 20 is comprised of messengers, why do people feel a need to belittle them, like do you think there hurting there country purposely! Like the saying goes, don't shoot the messenger!

cugir321
16th November 2008, 20:25
I like that one...I think you nailed it. I also think, they know we're headed down...that's why they're testing us. To see if we still bite. We're like a snapping chihuahua. All they have to do is figure out how to get oil back up and...checkmate. ( not for us) It will be like a good stomp on the dog.

I would interpret the muted outcome of G20 to mean that the jackals do not think the lion is wounded badly enough to risk moving in for the kill. Teh jackals are too badly wounded themselves.

Trvlr45
16th November 2008, 23:31
Bailing out the car companies just like bailing out the housing market are BOTH grevious errors in judgement. Besides, they aren't bailing anyone out. They are nationalizing both industries.

It is communism in it's purest from. I can't wait to see how anyone who uses a car or truck for business will do it once Nancy Pelosi is in charge of ALL automotive design under a green (communist) mandate.

It has taken the communists in this country 40 years to destroy our economy through lawsuits, bogus environmental regulations, scare tactics, taxation and assinine safety standars and regulations.

Now they have destoryed it and now they are going to take control of every industry in the country so ALL profit goes to the government.

The government has done exactly what they did to lead us into the first depression and now they are doing exactly what they did after the first one to prolong this one when it hits. There will be no America when this is all over.

Letting everything fail is the only way to get this mess over with asap. They are prolonging it and making it far worse when it does happen.

I am really looking forward to watching the communist party which now runs the country, try and take over the central bank. THAT is when we will see some real action like maybe a dead president.

The people in this country are obviously dumb enough to let the government invoke communist rule and steal all THEIR property but somehow, I don't see the Rockefellers and their pals around the world being dumb enough to let Nancy Pelosi steal their bank.