PDA

View Full Version : How much silver consumed in world daily?

buffalo3
28th January 2011, 21:34
After reading some of the other post's, I just would like to know if anybody has any idea? That will tell us more about what to expect from our investment, then any person that has only their own pocketbook to think about.

What is Truth?
28th January 2011, 21:41
It depends on how you define consumed. If for example you include millions of ounces of silver eagles then it may seem like a lot. But are silver eagles really consumed? IMO, not really.

~G~
28th January 2011, 21:58
I'm sure he meant unrecoverable silver.

buffalo3
28th January 2011, 22:08
Thanks, G. You understood consumed, not sold. Roger please give a source for this information. Thanks

What is Truth?
28th January 2011, 22:14
Thanks, G. You understood consumed, not sold. Roger please give a source for this information. Thanks

Silver is usually talked about on supply and demand. Demand includes "unrecoverable silver". But it also includes all silver sold to be held only to be re-sold. Unrecoverable silver is really misleading. Unless it was sent off deep into outer space the vast majority of silver can be recovered. It is only a matter of what value we want to put on it.

buffalo3
28th January 2011, 22:29
Silver is usually talked about on supply and demand. Demand includes "unrecoverable silver". But it also includes all silver sold to be held only to be re-sold. Unrecoverable silver is really misleading. Unless it was sent off deep into outer space the vast majority of silver can be recovered. It is only a matter of what value we want to put on it.

I only asked a question about consumed silver. Demand would mean people want to buy it, if it is unrecoverable, how are you going to sell it? And please tell us an economical way to recover all the silver that is buried in landfills. Thanks

~G~
28th January 2011, 23:09
I think they use 0.3 grams in every cell phone

buffalo3
28th January 2011, 23:15
I think they use 0.3 grams in every cell phone

So I guess 1oz of silver is used in 110 cell phones. Wonder how many cell phones are sold daily and how many are trashed daily. Thanks, G

crashjp
29th January 2011, 00:00
The fact is that silver is being used up, cheap ways to mine silver is going away, and dumb ass wallstreet doesn't know that yet and the price of silver has been supressed, do the math.

valerb
29th January 2011, 00:12
I only asked a question about consumed silver. Demand would mean people want to buy it, if it is unrecoverable, how are you going to sell it? And please tell us an economical way to recover all the silver that is buried in landfills. Thanks

That's the same thought I had. I would assume most Silver is unrecoverable as it is buried. It's one thing to recover Silver from an electronic item and something all together different to dig up landfills to try and find these buried items. Even if it was economically feasible, I'm betting the neighborhoods in the area would fight this for years. We had to live with the stench for years until the landfill was finally capped off, not you want to dig up all that rotting material and make it even worse than before!!

valerb
29th January 2011, 00:23
So I guess 1oz of silver is used in 110 cell phones. Wonder how many cell phones are sold daily and how many are trashed daily. Thanks, G

Everyone has a recycling program for cell phones, but what percentage actually goes into it versus the trash?

I saw a documentary on TV, where the world was shipping electronic parts to China by the shiploads and delivering them all over China in small towns. The local people were burning these circuit boards and other parts in their homes and handing in the metal to a local lord in the area for pennies on the dollar. The theme wasn't so much about the Silver extracted, but the health problems these people would be facing by breathing in all those toxic fumes.

AgShaman
29th January 2011, 00:27
That's the same thought I had. I would assume most Silver is unrecoverable as it is buried. It's one thing to recover Silver from an electronic item and something all together different to dig up landfills to try and find these buried items. Even if it was economically feasible, I'm betting the neighborhoods in the area would fight this for years. We had to live with the stench for years until the landfill was finally capped off, not you want to dig up all that rotting material and make it even worse than before!!

Wasn't there a company in Japan that goes through garbage for gold recovery?

I wonder if they are still in business?

Crash Silver...Crash Damn You! (wait until tomorrow though)

Goldbrix
29th January 2011, 00:44

That is a drop in the bucket.
RFID tags is the area where the most silver is destroyed. Damn near every retail item now has one attached nowadays.
Even silver from X-Ray processing involves recovery quantities.

BTW - I think one of Ted Butler's last audio interviews discusses the numbers that you are looking for.

~G~
29th January 2011, 01:02
I don't think they recycle phones for the silver

http://www.recellular.com/recycling/faqs.asp#d7

valerb
29th January 2011, 01:37
That is a drop in the bucket.
RFID tags is the area where the most silver is destroyed. Damn near every retail item now has one attached nowadays.
Even silver from X-Ray processing involves recovery quantities.

BTW - I think one of Ted Butler's last audio interviews discusses the numbers that you are looking for.

RFID tags seem to have developed fairly rapidly, as have their design. It appears that Silver ink can be printed on just about any surface or an actual tag if necessary and the cost have dropped down to the penny per tag range. How much of that cost is for actual Silver? I would assume very little, as the vendors of this ink are in business to make a profit. They are basically using inkjet printing to create circuit boards and antenna's, thereby drastically reducing the costs of these tags. What was once thought to be a huge demand for Silver is shrinking each year as newer products are developed. It may still use a lot of Silver, but nothing to the extent it was believed five years ago. If someone can produce an RFID tag today for a penny, then you can only imagine the price being a fraction of that in a few more years.

oldprole
29th January 2011, 03:38
Wonder how many cell phones are sold daily and how many are trashed daily. Thanks, G

Roughly 1.25 billion were sold last year, worldwide. How many discarded? Don't know yet, but the number is out there and I'm looking.

What is Truth?
29th January 2011, 07:19

There isn't an economical way, but that doesn't make it unrecoverable does it? Just uneconomical right now.

You are welcome.

What is Truth?
29th January 2011, 07:26
Just look at history. The world is always ( supposedly at least) running out of something or other but, of course, it NEVER does. New supplies or alternatives are found and life goes on.

As far a industrial demand for silver history shows us that is true. There will probably be gaps when industrial demand grows faster than mining or recycling supply can keep up with for a while. Of course that leads to higher prices which most of us seem to want. But higher prices tend to decrease demand and to encourage more supply.

Now investor safe haven demand is another story. There could be a huge shortage quickly because of it. But on the other hand if investor demand should turn sour there could just as quickly be a glut of silver too.

~G~
29th January 2011, 15:56
@ Roger, Thats whats scares me about being to heavy in silver....I even talked to Michio Kaku about it on Facebook.....He made me feel silver is a great investment

AgShaman
29th January 2011, 18:06
Wasn't there a company in Japan that goes through garbage for gold recovery?

I wonder if they are still in business?

Crash Silver...Crash Damn You! (wait until tomorrow though)

In the recovery process.

But it is fascinating to me....which is why I remembered something close.

Times will surely have to change...once the world comes to grip that the natural resources are finite and will not keep up with the planet's population.

The Inland Northwest is one of the worst regions of the country for wasteful people.

Most everything ends up at the dump...without a good reason.

I know families up to their ears in debt and still throwing away 25-50 bucks a month in items that could easily be recycled. It's ignorance...coupled with laziness. A commonplace mixture found in American society.

http://www.redorbit.com/news/technology/1360719/mining_old_cell_phones_for_gold_and_other_metals/

http://www.northjersey.com/news/business/tech_news/86741667_Japan_finds_mountain_of_gold_in_old_cellp hones.html

Curiosity will not kill this Cat!