PDA

View Full Version : Cisco warning signals that corporate tech spending is falling off quickly

mick silver
6th November 2008, 14:55
NEW YORK (AP) - Technology companies often say their products ought to remain appealing in an economic downturn because they can save businesses money by making operations more efficient. But corporate spending apparently is being cut too forcefully for that message to get through.

Cisco Systems Inc., the first of the major technology companies to report earnings that included October, said Wednesday that orders for its computer networking equipment fell abruptly in the month. That warning echoed throughout the tech sector Thursday, with one analyst calling it the "final straw" in downgrading another tech bellwether, Hewlett-Packard Co.

October might turn out to be the worst month of the quarter, especially if credit markets revive. Daily headlines about the troubled global economy, the $700 billion bailout package and the crisis that basically dried up credit markets last month made it, in some sense, "an anomaly," said Forrester Research analyst Andrew Bartels.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/headline_news/article.jsp?content=D949LG900&utm_source=markets&utm_medium=rss

Tribal Warrior
6th November 2008, 20:59
NEW YORK (AP) - Technology companies often say their products ought to remain appealing in an economic downturn because they can save businesses money by making operations more efficient. But corporate spending apparently is being cut too forcefully for that message to get through.

Cisco Systems Inc., the first of the major technology companies to report earnings that included October, said Wednesday that orders for its computer networking equipment fell abruptly in the month. That warning echoed throughout the tech sector Thursday, with one analyst calling it the "final straw" in downgrading another tech bellwether, Hewlett-Packard Co.

October might turn out to be the worst month of the quarter, especially if credit markets revive. Daily headlines about the troubled global economy, the $700 billion bailout package and the crisis that basically dried up credit markets last month made it, in some sense, "an anomaly," said Forrester Research analyst Andrew Bartels.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/markets/headline_news/article.jsp?content=D949LG900&utm_source=markets&utm_medium=rss

October may be the worst? Heh, let's try November. First we get "Big Change Obama", followed with near 1000pt drop on the dow in 2 days, bogus numbers still being reported, thousands of jobs being cut, yet they say less than job layoffs. WTH? Unemployment is about to go to "7%" which in reality is much higher 10%+ They sure ain't fooling me.

balou2
7th November 2008, 01:04
And what the hell does this have to do with the silver market? That's not the topic. Please...put in the Open Forum. Ridiculous.

By the way, mick...do you ever post anything but articles? You are the antithesis of a contributing member, in my opinion. If I wanted political talk, I'd read the billions of other sites. To me...you are a waste of space on this site.

700+ posts...the majority of which have nothing to do with silver, or the silver market.

Golden
7th November 2008, 02:27
True. Way too many off topic posts lately. I could not care less about stocks or politicians..

silver wink
7th November 2008, 03:18
Too many posts that are not directly related to the silver market and prices are making it a chore to read this forum now, although I do respect the right and integrity of people who post.

Maybe it is time for a thumbs up/thumbs down system like marketwatch so that we do not have to waste time ploughing through political commentary or other off topic rubbish

thowze
7th November 2008, 06:41
It's too tough to wade through the huge number of articles that are silver related. Stay on topic with your posts so that we all benefit.

Gino
7th November 2008, 07:36
Silver is consumed in industrial applications. One of the most significant of these applications is semiconductors. If the tech sector is seeing diminishing demand, we will see less silver consumed in industrial applications. Ted Butlers theory, of industrial users stockpiling silver and driving the price sky high, can then be thrown out as ill considered hype.

Supply & Demand fellas.

Thanks for the heads up Mick.

mick silver
7th November 2008, 12:44
Most people only see silver and gold , but it haves lots of uses , If this drops so well SILVER, Lets not kid our selfs